ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: How should the Knicks spend $14M cap space...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jmonty580
General Manager
And1: 400

Re: OT: How should the Knicks spend $14M cap space... 

Post#41 » by Jmonty580 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:21 pm

First talk to Melo and see if he wants to hold out yet another year with almost 0 chance at a chip waiting for more cap space to open up. If he does, then you do just that, wait for more cap space and option. If he doesnt, start a diaglogue about where he would be interested in going and what we might be able to get in return from those teams. Trade off anyone else we dont see a future with to get more space/picks/young talent. Start building for the future.
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#42 » by digitaldropoff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:37 pm

IMAN5 wrote:Would love to see Marc Gasol on this team, he's the best legit big man in the league in the category with Joakim Noah.

I don't see him leaving unless Memphis cheaps out. He seems like a loyal guy who wants to stay in Memphis with that core of Z-Bo, Conley, Tony Allen. Unless Memphis blows it up, I see Marc wanting to stay there.

Gasol, unlike Love has never given any indication he wants to leave Memphis....his team has never truly sucked, and he's in line to make the most money with his current team....a team where he's essentially already the guy. For Memphis, even if your "blowing it up"....you would still max out Gasol. He's young, he's dominant...you would keep him for a year even if you did go young just to see.

No way Gasol leaves Memphis next year, not even Memphis is dumb enough to let that happen.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,537

Post#43 » by Meat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Jmonty580 wrote:First talk to Melo and see if he wants to hold out yet another year with almost 0 chance at a chip waiting for more cap space to open up. If he does, then you do just that, wait for more cap space and option. If he doesnt, start a diaglogue about where he would be interested in going and what we might be able to get in return from those teams. Trade off anyone else we dont see a future with to get more space/picks/young talent. Start building for the future.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#44 » by digitaldropoff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Jmonty580 wrote:First talk to Melo and see if he wants to hold out yet another year with almost 0 chance at a chip waiting for more cap space to open up. If he does, then you do just that, wait for more cap space and option. If he doesnt, start a diaglogue about where he would be interested in going and what we might be able to get in return from those teams. Trade off anyone else we dont see a future with to get more space/picks/young talent. Start building for the future.

Why would you talk to Melo....you've paid him, his mouth and thoughts no longer matter? Phil Jackson is wayyyyy too smart to let Melo decide the make up of what he wants to build as a team and at the rate that team becomes assembled. Melo has proven to be a great scorer in this league, he's proven that he loves his money, and now a decade into the league, he's proven to finally get serious about his body....at no point in time has he proven he can build a team or even recruit quality players to come play with him.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#45 » by IMAN5 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:20 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:Would love to see Marc Gasol on this team, he's the best legit big man in the league in the category with Joakim Noah.

I don't see him leaving unless Memphis cheaps out. He seems like a loyal guy who wants to stay in Memphis with that core of Z-Bo, Conley, Tony Allen. Unless Memphis blows it up, I see Marc wanting to stay there.

Gasol, unlike Love has never given any indication he wants to leave Memphis....his team has never truly sucked, and he's in line to make the most money with his current team....a team where he's essentially already the guy. For Memphis, even if your "blowing it up"....you would still max out Gasol. He's young, he's dominant...you would keep him for a year even if you did go young just to see.

No way Gasol leaves Memphis next year, not even Memphis is dumb enough to let that happen.

Yeah I agree, but like I said the only way he leaves is if the new owners pull some crazy shi and decide he isn't worth max dollars.
instagram.com/510movement
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#46 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:56 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:Gasol, unlike Love has never given any indication he wants to leave Memphis....his team has never truly sucked, and he's in line to make the most money with his current team....a team where he's essentially already the guy. For Memphis, even if your "blowing it up"....you would still max out Gasol. He's young, he's dominant...you would keep him for a year even if you did go young just to see.

Thank you. Finally a few people are seeing it, the way I do.

If it comes down to money, Memphis wins. Any franchise in a league with a cap, cannot afford to overly rely on free agency to do the job because it creates a disproportionate cap space.

Since Greg Monroe failed at trying to orchestrate a sign/trade to OKC or a contender, it's not a bad idea to talk to him about where he wants to be. At least he's interested in leaving Detroit. I think $10.5 first year is good enough to seal the deal.

Then I would make a run at a Joel Przybilla or Luc Longley type defensive shot blocker. Be nice if the Knicks can attract a Monte Ellis but I don't know...have to offer 6-7M to be taken seriously.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Meat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:Gasol, unlike Love has never given any indication he wants to leave Memphis....his team has never truly sucked, and he's in line to make the most money with his current team....a team where he's essentially already the guy. For Memphis, even if your "blowing it up"....you would still max out Gasol. He's young, he's dominant...you would keep him for a year even if you did go young just to see.

Thank you. Finally a few people are seeing it, the way I do.

If it comes down to money, Memphis wins. Any franchise in a league with a cap, cannot afford to overly rely on free agency to do the job because it creates a disproportionate cap space.

Since Greg Monroe failed at trying to orchestrate a sign/trade to OKC or a contender, it's not a bad idea to talk to him about where he wants to be. At least he's interested in leaving Detroit. I think $10.5 first year is good enough to seal the deal.

Then I would make a run at a Joel Przybilla or Luc Longley type defensive shot blocker. Be nice if the Knicks can attract a Monte Ellis but I don't know...have to offer 6-7M to be taken seriously.

i think most people get it that gasol probably isnt leaving.

Aside from aldrige\love as max cats the consensus seems to be Milsap should be our plan b with a defensive stopper\rebounder
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,940

Post#48 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Monroe sucks. Staying away from him.

Paul Millsap is good, and undervalued. I still remember how he took apart the Heat as a member of the Jazz. Maybe my memory is fuzzy or I'm exaggerating stuff, but I do remember him hitting game winning threes. That's the type of guy I want on the Knicks. Very good all-around player.

We might also be able to get guys on one year contracts (or contracts with opt-outs), especially if the cap is forecasted to rise again in the 2016 offseason.

Robin Lopez is undervalued, but might not fit the system. Goran Dragic should be out there, too. Doesn't fit the system, unfortunately.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#49 » by Bill Pidto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:51 pm

don't panac wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:I don't like the train of thought that we need to sign SOMEBODY, no matter what. This FA class isn't anything special.

Brook Lopez? I wouldn't give him JR money, and JR came pretty cheap.

If it isn't Gasol or LMA, or someone else on a bargain deal, I'm working the phones and trying to use cap space as a trade asset. Save some money for 2016.

I'm completely on that Phil/Durant bandwagon. I think Phil has his sights set on KD until further notice. Until KD makes it clear he shouldn't bother. Why wouldn't Phil be thinking KD to NY?

I think that was a (much better and as much less likely) alternative to melo resigning
Unless you are thinking a kd-melo swap ( which anyone would be onboard with, except melo, another reason that contract was crap), it would be very hard to make it work financially and they wouldn't be a good fit together

No.. I think Phil wants to sign him outright. Doesn't have to be an alternative to Melo either.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,346

Post#50 » by dakomish23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Depends where we draft. If Melo gets hurt and/or we **** the bed we may get a top quality big prospect and may not have to sign one. Also depends on the growth and determined potential of our youth. Shump is prob looking at a Avery Bradley deal, but he's very far from earning that payday. He might be let go. What if THJ shows he's a full time backup? Then you gotta plug the SG role. Especially if Phil send JR Snitch packing A lot of what ifs on our roster rt now. Steph Curry in 2017 seems perfect.

Personally, I think we should look to use the expiring deals on studs who are or may become available. Not sending picks or young talent out. Just expiring deals in salary dump scenarios to be a contender rt now.

But if it was money I had to spend id do it on some mix of the below:

Bledsoe - 4 yrs 54
Affalo - 4 yrs 44
MGasol - 4 yrs 60
Monroe - 4 yrs 54
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Jmonty580
General Manager
And1: 400

Post#51 » by Jmonty580 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:42 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:

Why would you talk to Melo....you've paid him, his mouth and thoughts no longer matter? Phil Jackson is wayyyyy too smart to let Melo decide the make up of what he wants to build as a team and at the rate that team becomes assembled. Melo has proven to be a great scorer in this league, he's proven that he loves his money, and now a decade into the league, he's proven to finally get serious about his body....at no point in time has he proven he can build a team or even recruit quality players to come play with him.

I'm just saying tearing it down and rebuilding isnt the worse thing in the world to me. NOt that i dont like Melo, i'm a fan, but at the end of the day if we can get what we need around him then its time to move on. How many years are we going to just be 1 more year away you know?

only reason i say talk to him is doesnt he have a no trade clause or something like that built in? If not then yea you dont need to get the approval from him. But yea if its not going to happen with melo why spend the next years building around him? Just move on and start from scratch. With cap space and the right FAs coming in to play in NY, we could completly rebuild quicker than we could be waiting to put together the right peices with Melo.
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#52 » by fresko024 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:35 pm

i like Greg Monroe
Romans 8:1-4
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#53 » by AmazingJason » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:39 pm

Would LOVE to bring in Millsap.

Also, it's conceivable we may be able to get Dragic because Phoenix has tons of PGs and they like to nickle-and-dime players for fun.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
brooklynoxy
Senior
And1: 121

Post#54 » by brooklynoxy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Meat wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:...if they can't sign Marc Gasol?

I'll give you, my Plan B at the end but first, I want to see your problem solving strategy?

it's more than 14. 14 is the bare minimum, just by letting chump go it's up to 20mil

I ignore the ridiculously low cap figures that are posted on this board. Every single article that I have read about the Knicks projected cap-room, many which cite Larry Coon's expertise on this very topic, state that New York will have anywhere between 25-32 Million dollars in free agent money in 2015-16…

Obviously the amount will be dependent on whether Shumpert is resigned, the amount of the Knicks free agents who will either be renounced or traded (cap holds vanish in both cases), and who stays for the following year.

Most analysts seem to believe that PMFJ will be breaking the trend that other GMs of this team have done, which is to wildly spend cap money without regard to team need and direction.

In other words, I do not expect the Knicks to chase Rondo since it is anticipated by those in the league that Marc Gasol may chose to re-up with the Grizzlies rather than select New York. Just an example, but this type of thinking has screwed up this team for decades. As much as I like Amare, he should have never been signed to his contract without having insurance on his knees or in reaction to LeBron James choosing Miami in his Decision Spectacle.

One expectation which seems to be prevalent among those who are somewhat familiar with PJ's thinking is that Kevin Durant is directly in his sights. In addition, although there may be enough money to sign TWO MAX players, it is unlikely that New York will do so, unless LeBron James is one of them…Or Stat. for that matter.
"You have to respect your coach. I know LeBron's a great player, but I think he stepped over the line." Walt "Clyde" Frazier
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#55 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:24 am

i think its more and more likely and welcome that PJ spends the money on a couple of high impact players rather than swinging for the fences on one guy only

unless there is a guy who is clearly worth the cash - like melo or durant or paul, etc - then you take two high quality guys over one when you can.

for example why would you give Milsap a max deal? Yes he's really good and Ive wanted him for years to be a knick, but that kind of financial and time commitment isn't reasonable for a guy who's not even a all-star let alone a superstar. Superstars get max deals. All stars get double digit or nearly. everyone else gets reasonable contracts

especially when there are so many solid players who will be available in the 6-10 range
RealGM
And1: 39,137

Post#56 » by 2010 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:29 am

shmeakone wrote:GREG MONROE plz.

Or go for RONDOOOOOOOOO.

So basically you and the guy who and-1'd your post just wants a name with disregard to fit. Because by now you should know that the triangle is a system that is not PG dependent. Especially PG's who cannot shoot.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Meat
Head Coach

Post#57 » by Meat » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:57 am

so if we're going to forget about gasol.
1) has to be milsap
2) monroe
3) asik
4) one of the phx pg's if we get rid of calderon and probably kouftos with the rest of the money
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#58 » by DowNY » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 am

dakomish23 wrote:Depends where we draft. If Melo gets hurt and/or we **** the bed we may get a top quality big prospect and may not have to sign one. Also depends on the growth and determined potential of our youth. Shump is prob looking at a Avery Bradley deal, but he's very far from earning that payday. He might be let go. What if THJ shows he's a full time backup? Then you gotta plug the SG role. Especially if Phil send JR Snitch packing A lot of what ifs on our roster rt now. Steph Curry in 2017 seems perfect.

Personally, I think we should look to use the expiring deals on studs who are or may become available. Not sending picks or young talent out. Just expiring deals in salary dump scenarios to be a contender rt now.

Bledsoe - 4 yrs 54
Affalo - 4 yrs 44
MGasol - 4 yrs 60
Monroe - 4 yrs 54

I totally agree with the bold.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,346

Post#59 » by dakomish23 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:45 am

DowNY wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Depends where we draft. If Melo gets hurt and/or we **** the bed we may get a top quality big prospect and may not have to sign one. Also depends on the growth and determined potential of our youth. Shump is prob looking at a Avery Bradley deal, but he's very far from earning that payday. He might be let go. What if THJ shows he's a full time backup? Then you gotta plug the SG role. Especially if Phil send JR Snitch packing A lot of what ifs on our roster rt now. Steph Curry in 2017 seems perfect.

Bledsoe - 4 yrs 54
Affalo - 4 yrs 44
MGasol - 4 yrs 60
Monroe - 4 yrs 54

I totally agree with the bold.

So who would you target? If it was possible, by not gutting our team or our assets,I'd hope for:

Horford
Rondo
Sanders
Pekovic
Kevin Martin
Kobe
Favors
Lee
Iggy

But I only do this if you can get multiple studs with the expiring deals. Don't get ie Sanders and then stop.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks