ImageImageImageImageImage

What are you looking from Coach Fisher this season?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Re: What are you looking from Coach Fisher this season? 

Post#21 » by Ignitowsky » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:02 pm

In addition to all of the fine points made above, I'm looking for Fish to create his own identity. He will never be Phil, but he can learn from Phil and become something new. Having never coached before he's starting with a completely clean slate, but I want to see innovation, as much as that's possible in a league as old as the NBA.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#22 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Ignitowsky wrote:In addition to all of the fine points made above, I'm looking for Fish to create his own identity. He will never be Phil, but he can learn from Phil and become something new. Having never coached before he's starting with a completely clean slate, but I want to see innovation, as much as that's possible in a league as old as the NBA.

well said
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#23 » by King of Canada » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Ignitowsky wrote:In addition to all of the fine points made above, I'm looking for Fish to create his own identity. He will never be Phil, but he can learn from Phil and become something new. Having never coached before he's starting with a completely clean slate, but I want to see innovation, as much as that's possible in a league as old as the NBA.

It's interesting how many former players were coach of the year candidates after their first year.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Loisl
Veteran
And1: 187

Post#24 » by Loisl » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm

I'd love to see ingame adjustments, but game-to-game adjustments would do the trick for me in Fisher's first year. Something D'Antoni and Woodson never really did.

Any signs of a proper game preparation, like minor (opponent-oriented) line-up and/or defensive tactics changes, would be great.
R.I.P. Mags - :beer:
Once a Knick, always a Knick.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#25 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 pm

I want a team that will hold itself accountable when there's a loss and not a coach who gives a cockamanie excuse or glosses over it and gives an excuse that is unrelated.

Yes, looking at YOU Mike Woodson when you said, "We have to understand without Raymond Felton out there who does a lot for us..."

Uh-huh.

I want a coach that says, "Hey that's on our forwards for the lack of hustle on defense. We went over it in practice today. I expect better play out of each and every one of us."

I think, Derek Fisher will be a natural motivator. I think you're going to see a lot of growth with the young guys. They are going to eat this guy up because he's very articulate and the modern athlete doesn't want to be spoken like he's a neanderthal.
Blanky53
Sophomore
And1: 307

Post#26 » by Blanky53 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 pm

A lot of really fine and great point made here, so I won't rehash it.

Above all else though, how well can Fish keep JR in line/on the bench.
KnickswiththeKnack
Starter
And1: 348

Post#27 » by KnickswiththeKnack » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Loisl wrote:I'd love to see ingame adjustments, but game-to-game adjustments would do the trick for me in Fisher's first year. Something D'Antoni and Woodson never really did.

Any signs of a proper game preparation, like minor (opponent-oriented) line-up and/or defensive tactics changes, would be great.

Agreed regarding in-game adjustments. I think it's a lot to ask for a rookie coach to make great in-game adjustments (tho of course not impossible).

For me, I'm looking for him to run a disciplined & tight ship. The one thing about Phil's old teams, even though some guys might have been knuckleheads, or some players hated each other, when they hit the court there was a high level of professionalism & discipline.
"...and now aaaaaaalll the Knicks with the knack" - Walt "Clyde" Frazier
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#28 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 pm

King of Canada wrote:

It's interesting how many former players were coach of the year candidates after their first year.

i wonder if in part that is because they come in without too much baggage and adapt

so often coaches who refuse to adapt their coaching style suffer. D'Anotni is a great example. Larry Brown too.

Coach Pop is the opposite. He plays uptempo or half court depending on the squad but he always demands ball and body movement and defense
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#29 » by Hemispheres » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 pm

Not this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDNKH8vc2_4[/youtube]
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#30 » by NYKat » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Poise under fire.

I think our last two coaches, got rattled in close games and that transferred to our players in clutch or crunch time situations. I think Fish will be really good at instilling an ability to execute effeciently under pressure, especially with plan and system in place, as opposed to just throw it to "Melo and GTFO of the way"

I think that will make an immense difference, too.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#31 » by boomershadow » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:21 pm

I actually really see the opposite happening. With Fisher/Rambis/Cleamons, this first year is probably going to be about setting up in NY a similar system and culture as they had in LA. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, but I do think it'll take a few years of being head coach before Fisher starts to look like more than a Phil Jackson proxy.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#32 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:03 pm

boomershadow wrote:

I actually really see the opposite happening. With Fisher/Rambis/Cleamons, this first year is probably going to be about setting up in NY a similar system and culture as they had in LA. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, but I do think it'll take a few years of being head coach before Fisher starts to look like more than a Phil Jackson proxy.

I agree, and I mostly want to see Fish end up being much like Phil, but once in a while I want to see a glimpse of the feisty Fisher that used to knock guys on their ass, even if it's just during a time out.

All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#33 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Ignitowsky wrote:
boomershadow wrote:

I agree, and I mostly want to see Fish end up being much like Phil, but once in a while I want to see a glimpse of the feisty Fisher that used to knock guys on their ass, even if it's just during a time out.

That's a great clip right there - it really shows you what Fisher was about on the floor.

That isn't just anybody Fisher just ran over it is The Chosen One and Fisher did it on purpose --- this is what I want him to bring to the Knicks. Toughness!!!!
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#34 » by Greenie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Flexibility

Edit: a couple things that I want to clear up when I say flexibility. I need flexibility in his in game rotations. Nobody has to be benched for the whole year like D'antoni or Woodson would do. If somebody is not playing well take them out. If somebody is playing well continue to play them. Don't have one player play one game and play great and we don't see them for another 10 games. Let performing players play.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#35 » by Thorn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:22 pm

poeman wrote:Other then simply winning, what are you looking from Coach Fisher this season?

Obviously, simply winning games goes a long way but we all know that sometimes a coach is just gifted with a great team and the coach can hinder a team's progress with terrible play-calling and hold them back.

Just curious in year 1, not only what are your expectations but what areas do you want to see Fisher impact this team in.

My two areas:
- Organized Basketball
- Authority

Organized Basketball: This team has been Melo-ISO and free flow for countless years. The great teams have elite talent but play team-first ball and then the best player steps up when needed. I would like us to focus on making each player better...Not only does this make for effective game, but it raises the confidence of guys around you.

Authority: I want Coach Fisher to bring accountability on players and really show it...This comes down from Phil MFing Jackson at the top but I want Coach Fisher to show that he has the reigns on this team but not strictly through discipline but by his voice and commanding the group on how to be responsible on and off the court.

This includes JR Smith's shenanigans.

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,493

Post#36 » by j4remi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:29 pm

1) Organization a -
I want a clear system on both ends of the ball. I want to see players that utilize the system and that see the bench if they won't work for the system and team instead of themselves.

2) Organization b -
A rotation needs to be established so that players know their identities within the new systems. I don't want to see experimentation all year long like we did with Woody's countless line-ups.

3) Accountability -
The first time we see Fisher calling someone over to give him an earful, I'll celebrate. I want guys benched if they dog it or start to flail mentally. I want a coach that's willing to take the blame when it's his but also show he expects more from his guys. He can't take every bullet.

4) X's and O's -
In game adjustments, game plans that key on weaknesses of the opponent and proper use of time outs. This one could take all season to fully develop but I want to see Fish attempting to have this stuff in it.

5) Culture shift continued -
Really, I just want a return to respectability. This is Phil Jackson's job more than anyone but Fisher is an extension of it and his players are an extension of it as well.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#37 » by emo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:37 pm

I'm looking for him to put hands on people when they get out of line.

I just want violence -- Whether it be on the court, during practice or in the locker room... I don't care.
Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#38 » by poeman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Fisher can break a man by looking at him in the eyes...All you can do with Woodson was laugh it off.

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#39 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:16 pm

Hemispheres wrote:Not this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDNKH8vc2_4[/youtube]

god, I was at that game

it was worse in person
BrownBearKing
Junior
And1: 398

Post#40 » by BrownBearKing » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:56 pm

poeman wrote:
GardenFaith wrote:Coaching...

Honestly this team hasn't had a real coaching coach in years!

Jeff Van Gundy was our last great coach.

Woodson's one year with him where we did good was a anomaly...One hit wonder

Jason Kidd was our coach that year. Just look at Brooklyn last year both teams ran 2 PGs, a SG at the three, a scoring SF at the 4, and a defensive player of the year at the 5.

Return to New York Knicks