ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Boardwalk Empire - Season 5

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Re: OT: Boardwalk Empire - Season 5 

Post#161 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 am

gavran wrote:Of course it is speculating, but it is a TV show with 2 episodes left. That is my fact. They introduced a character and focused on him just enough for us to know he matters. This is where you introduce logic and you'll see there is no way the kid is someone else, because then you would have to name who he is. But who can it be? Let us remember the kid characters who may be between 14 and 18 in 1931. There are 2, and one of them is Nucky's adopted son and the other one is just familiar enough for him to mistakely recognise him as someone else. One character is studying in New York and the other is played by an actor who ever so slightly looks like Michael Pitt.

EDIT: If he turns out not to be Tommy, then I will eat that gavran with ketchup, but the show sure does spell out that he is right now.

gavran strikes again! It's Gillian. Great deductive reasoning on your part. Jimmy's son looks real good in that pink dress. But these changes can happen when a 14 year olds hitchhikes by "himself" from Wisconsin during prohibition. I can see how you'd get Jimmy and his mom confused. :lol:

Allow me. Bon appetit.

Free Palestine
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#162 » by kane » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:05 am

wow when i thought this season couldn't get any worse .... this whole season is been pretty much gillian's story so glad they used the last 8 episodes of this show to tie up that lose end :roll:
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#163 » by Mr_Perfect » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:07 am

Mickey almost survived the series. Almost.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#164 » by poeman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:08 am

A great episode, but WHAT THE ****...If they kill Nucky, another mob lead I will be annoyed. Just give us a ending that is different and by different I dont mean a black screen right when Tony Soprano looks up aka WHACKED.

Also Mickey should have lived...
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#165 » by Ignitowsky » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:19 am

I was reminded of that scene way back when jimmy said to Nucky "you can't be half a gangster". Tonight he was just that. He got out-ganstered by Lucky and Meyer.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#166 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:55 am

Ignitowsky wrote:I was reminded of that scene way back when jimmy said to Nucky "you can't be half a gangster". Tonight he was just that. He got out-ganstered by Lucky and Meyer.

Yeah, but this is where I think the show is just going through the motions this season. How could Nucky not be prepared for Luchiano getting the drop on him. If anything, Nucky and his boys should've had a plan to kill all of Luchiano's men. Maybe gavran will explain it all to us. :lol:

Bah.
Free Palestine
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#167 » by poeman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:41 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:I was reminded of that scene way back when jimmy said to Nucky "you can't be half a gangster". Tonight he was just that. He got out-ganstered by Lucky and Meyer.

Yeah, but this is where I think the show is just going through the motions this season. How could Nucky not be prepared for Luchiano getting the drop on him. If anything, Nucky and his boys should've had a plan to kill all of Luchiano's men. Maybe gavran will explain it all to us. :lol:

Bah.

Yeah it was a very un-Nucky thing he did...He was prepared for Jimmy and so many others but he is falling apart to Luciano and Lanksy
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach

Post#168 » by Mr_Perfect » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:47 am

Nucky's whole life is falling apart and he doesn't really have any meaning to it. He came unprepared because his head isn't in it. That's why he starts giving away things without thinking twice. Hell, he gave Mickey more power right before Doyle's death and he didn't even blink. Then he literally gave up everything to Luciano and Lansky to save Will.

I think he's just tired of it all and wants to do the right thing. His character is probably going to get some form of redemption before he goes. And I think there's a good chance he goes.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#169 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:52 am

Mr_Perfect wrote:Nucky's whole life is falling apart and he doesn't really have any meaning to it. He came unprepared because his head isn't in it. That's why he starts giving away things without thinking twice. Hell, he gave Mickey more power right before Doyle's death and he didn't even blink. Then he literally gave up everything to Luciano and Lansky to save Will.

I think he's just tired of it all and wants to do the right thing. His character is probably going to get some form of redemption before he goes. And I think there's a good chance he goes.

I'm thinking Timothy Van Patten is the one who is tired of it all. This show deserved a better last season.
Free Palestine
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach

Post#170 » by Mr_Perfect » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:03 am

Sure it did. 8 episodes is simply not enough.

Gillian's scenes in the mental hospital aside, though, I think this season has been one of the best for this series. If only it was written like this early on - with Nucky having his backstory explained earlier in flashbacks - instead of wasted seasons on Margaret, Gillian and Nucky's girlfriends that kept dying.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#171 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 am

Nucky telling Margaret to work the Mayflower stock was great, meaning he had one last hand to force the hand of investors to overturn Prohibition. Like Kennedy said, rigging the game.

Question is, will Nucky live to tell about it? Show seems to depart quite a bit from history at this point.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#172 » by Ignitowsky » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:33 pm

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm enjoying the Nucky back story and how it's going to weave its' way into the present day Gillian story. After pimping her out to The Commodore as a much younger man, I think saving Gillian will be Nucky's redemption, although I don't think it will be as simple as that. Maybe something with Gillian and Luciano?
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#173 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:40 pm

What's the deal with Luciano's droopy right eye? Where'd that come from?
Free Palestine
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#174 » by gavran » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:47 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:Of course it is speculating, but it is a TV show with 2 episodes left. That is my fact. They introduced a character and focused on him just enough for us to know he matters. This is where you introduce logic and you'll see there is no way the kid is someone else, because then you would have to name who he is. But who can it be? Let us remember the kid characters who may be between 14 and 18 in 1931. There are 2, and one of them is Nucky's adopted son and the other one is just familiar enough for him to mistakely recognise him as someone else. One character is studying in New York and the other is played by an actor who ever so slightly looks like Michael Pitt.

EDIT: If he turns out not to be Tommy, then I will eat that gavran with ketchup, but the show sure does spell out that he is right now.

gavran strikes again! It's Gillian. Great deductive reasoning on your part. Jimmy's son looks real good in that pink dress. But these changes can happen when a 14 year olds hitchhikes by "himself" from Wisconsin during prohibition. I can see how you'd get Jimmy and his mom confused. :lol:

Allow me. Bon appetit.

Have you been drinking? You made no sense with that post.
MR IB4TL
Senior
And1: 359

Post#175 » by MR IB4TL » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:What's the deal with Luciano's droopy right eye? Where'd that come from?

That happened sometime in 1928 when he was beaten up by Marazzano's thugs during the Castellammarese War and left on a beach on Staten Island.
jdennis187
Analyst
And1: 175

Post#176 » by jdennis187 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Nucky telling Margaret to work the Mayflower stock was great, meaning he had one last hand to force the hand of investors to overturn Prohibition. Like Kennedy said, rigging the game.

Question is, will Nucky live to tell about it? Show seems to depart quite a bit from history at this point.

Can you explain this more? Was he trying to drive the price down?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#177 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 pm

jdennis187 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Nucky telling Margaret to work the Mayflower stock was great, meaning he had one last hand to force the hand of investors to overturn Prohibition. Like Kennedy said, rigging the game.

Can you explain this more? Was he trying to drive the price down?

To get Kennedy to come back to the table and do business with Nucky.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#178 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 pm

BTW many of us thought Nucky's nephew would have brought down Nucky. We were right but in the wrong way.

I DID enjoy that Eli moment with his son.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#179 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:42 am

gavran wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Allow me. Bon appetit.

Have you been drinking? You made no sense with that post.

:lol: Can't you read?
Free Palestine
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#180 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 am

As the last episode marinades in my head, I have some random thoughts:

1. Luciano's words, "I'm sure you screwed someone over the years..." was a bitter pill for Nucky to swallow. He was right in every sense of the world. These young uneducated pups were skilled enough to learn the game and learn it well because they had the BEST teachers.

2. Sad to see Mickey Doyle go but doesn't that mean Nucky gets a million dollars due to the insurance policy Rothstein was peddling all around?

3. It'll be very interesting if Nucky's messing with Kennedy's stock will have the desired consequences.

4. Gonna guess Nucky will redeem himself in terms of how he wronged Gillian. That said, Gillian was no straight arrow and I feel no sympathy for her situation.

Return to New York Knicks