ImageImageImageImageImage

Who is the Free Agent the Knicks will be targeting next year

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Re: Who is the Free Agent the Knicks will be targeting next 

Post#81 » by moocow007 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:43 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
Dantares wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:The only way you go after KD is if you have assurances that if you save cap he's your's ala Rich Paul telling the Cavs free up cap for Lebron.

If he's iffy or he's noncommittal just keep it pushing & focus on the rest of your team.

eh I don't know if we have to actually put money aside. If the cap increases by 16 million. All we might have to do is let JR expire. Aldridge max starts at 18.7 million next summer so Durant's max shouldn't be much more than that because he is also a 7-9 year veteran player. Also if Larkin proves himself to be a legit PG in this league we can just trade Calderon or amnesty him.

First off what amnesty :lol:

And the cap could be 200 million you still need to persuade KD to come here which was my point. Bringing in LA could increase our chances but there's no guarantee that Aldridge even leaves. This isn't 2012, he's not disgruntled anymore he's happy with the Blazers team.

So yea we need to put money aside & we need to have a talk with him and his camp if he wants to be a Knick or not

You need to put better players on the team to get Durant to want to come here. He's already used to just one other elite player on his team (Westbrook) and having that not work enough. Anthony won't be enough of a difference maker IMO. I think they need to AT LEAST sign another big production guy in the summer of 2015 and show in 2015-2016 that the Knicks are very close and heading in the right way for Durant to consider NY.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,732

Post#82 » by JBreezeNY » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Meat wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
Dantares wrote:
eh I don't know if we have to actually put money aside. If the cap increases by 16 million. All we might have to do is let JR expire. Aldridge max starts at 18.7 million next summer so Durant's max shouldn't be much more than that because he is also a 7-9 year veteran player. Also if Larkin proves himself to be a legit PG in this league we can just trade Calderon or amnesty him.

And the cap could be 200 million you still need to persuade KD to come here which was my point. Bringing in LA could increase our chances but there's no guarantee that Aldridge even leaves. This isn't 2012, he's not disgruntled anymore he's happy with the Blazers team.

So yea we need to put money aside & we need to have a talk with him and his camp if he wants to be a Knick or not

you want usto have a talk with a signed player about if he wants to leave his team in a year?

Yea just fine some magical way to do it without tampering :lol:

Rather that than going into the2016 offseason with cap space, preserving it solely for Kevin only to find out he's re-signing in OKC.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,203

Post#83 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:48 pm

I'd love to get Durant, but it ain't happening. I don't see him leaving OKC and if he does I really don't see him teaming with Melo...in NY.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#84 » by Dantares » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:49 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
Dantares wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:The only way you go after KD is if you have assurances that if you save cap he's your's ala Rich Paul telling the Cavs free up cap for Lebron.

If he's iffy or he's noncommittal just keep it pushing & focus on the rest of your team.

lol sorry I always say amnesty when I mean stretch provision. Hey I'm just putting my faith in Phil. if he wants to max out a player next year or spend the money on 2 good players I am sure he will get players that fit the triangle and make us better.

As for selling his camp about becoming a Knick, I don't think we have the best pitch but we don't have the worst. We have D-fish as coach, Durant's favorite assistant coach and Phil Jackson flashing his 11 rings.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,732

Post#85 » by JBreezeNY » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:51 pm

moocow007 wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
Dantares wrote:

You need to put better players on the team to get Durant to want to come here. He's already used to just one other elite player on his team (Westbrook) and having that not work enough. Anthony won't be enough of a difference maker IMO. I think they need to AT LEAST sign another big production guy in the summer of 2015 and show in 2015-2016 that the Knicks are very close and heading in the right way for Durant to consider NY.

Oh of course Moo this is as common sense as it gets :lol:

We need to build a team around Melo to gauge Durant's interest without giving up the cap space to use on him.

Who we're going to use that on? I honestly have no earthily idea. Being extremely realistic players currently want to get all their money, they're not looking to take pay cuts & "help the team" anymore. When Eric freaking Bledsoe is holding out for a max that's when you know there will be a lot of problems come 2015 free agency.

Good luck to Phil I don't know who wants to really leave their teams & take our money. Hope is a bitch :lol:
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#86 » by BasicBall » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Greg Monroe
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,181

Post#87 » by djsunyc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 pm

answer - whoever will take the money.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#88 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:He did that because it's the BUCKS... :roll: Ellis isn't coming here for 3 mill a year when he can, and will, get at least double that. Whatever. Enjoy your day.

Yes, the Bucks who in 2012-13 made the playoffs in the East. You know where the Mavs ended up? .500 and didn't even make the playoffs. Since the Knicks are NOT the Bucks and they have one of the top 5 scorers in the NBA I think someone like Monta Ellis who wants to win will listen.

Once again, the Knicks must do their part. They have to add a 2nd major cog and their youth must show promise before they can even approach the idea. REMEMBER Monta Ellis said he was tired of doing 60% of the work in Golden State and Milwaukee. He's content being a role player. That's vital in distinguishing a team from title contender vs playoff contender.

He's not merely a role player in Dallas. Also, 8 million > 3 million. You don't think his agent knows about the ridiculous cap increase coming up? You think he's going to advise Ellis to take less than half of what he can get from ANOTHER good team? I don't. Even aside from him maybe being willing to be a 3rd cog on a championship / high level team (which he isn't in Dallas), I don't think he's taking a paycut like the one you are suggesting. Don't bother responding to my post because it's obvious we don't see eye to eye on this.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#89 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:53 pm

BasicBall wrote:Greg Monroe

Not this again...

djsunyc wrote:answer - whoever will take the money.

Go back to the Raps board.
Nyk4lyfe
Sixth Man
And1: 565

Post#90 » by Nyk4lyfe » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:17 pm

We should target Bledsoe and Monroe via trade. Their values got lowered this summer because Suns/Pistons lost some leverage
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,738

Post#91 » by Fat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:23 am

I just don't see phil dumping big bucks on a point guard for the triangle system.. look at the guys who were PG's in the triangle. Fisher, Harper etc etc. Phil giving max deals to guys like bledsoe, Dragic, rondo is probably unlikely to happen star PG's arent a huge need for this system... not to say it cant happen thats just my view on it.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,565

Post#92 » by Meat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:I just don't see phil dumping big bucks on a point guard for the triangle system.. look at the guys who were PG's in the triangle. Fisher, Harper etc etc. Phil giving max deals to guys like bledsoe, Dragic, rondo is probably unlikely to happen star PG's arent a huge need for this system... not to say it cant happen thats just my view on it.

this is pretty much a pg dominate league, you still need at the very least a good\great defensive pg
Meat
Head Coach

Post#93 » by Meat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 pm

siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#94 » by siar617 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Nyk4lyfe wrote:We should target Bledsoe and Monroe via trade. Their values got lowered this summer because Suns/Pistons lost some leverage

I totally agree with that but we'd have to stretch our assets to the point where we only have enough for one.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#95 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Meat wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234910/NBA-Could-Apply-Future-TV-Money-To-15-16-Cap

potential game changer here

90 mill?!?!?! HOLY **** YES
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,408

Post#96 » by KnicksGod » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Nobody saw Calderon or Larkin or Dalembert or Jason Smith coming and yeah we in the market for bigger guys but these were out of the blue so keep a very open mind .... Nobody knows what will happen when we have cap room.

Also we dumped Felton and Tyson and nobody would've guessed that was possible.

It's a big blank slate with tons of combinations.

A $90 mil cap is nice and would make Melo's big deal no big deal.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,408

Post#97 » by KnicksGod » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Knicks at least top 10 if it goes up to 90.

Can do Bledsoe-Gasol type pair and maybe still room for another good player.
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Post#98 » by kingquan316 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:32 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Knicks at least top 10 if it goes up to 90.

Can do Bledsoe-Gasol type pair and maybe still room for another good player.

I don't think the cap will be 90 by next summer. I think it means that it will increase higher than the 3 mil that is projected. Now if i had to guess I would think maybe 8 mill increase, which will be around 71 mill for the cap. Is that enough to get a Bledsoe-Gasol pair? I don't know what both there max is and how the math will work out. Anyone know the answer to that?

I think the 90 mil cap will happen gradually, but I can't see it until 3 summers from now. Anywhere close to 80 mil by 2016 will help the knicks greatly.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#99 » by Meat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:34 am

inc super teams in la, miami, ny and texas
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#100 » by Besart19 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:12 am

Gasol 17M
Melo 23M
Durant 19M
Shump 4M
PG at 7M (Calderon or Parker)

70M in total fo the starting lineup... if the cap goes up to 80+ then we have decent chance to get 3 stars!!

Or get Asik at center to make room to improve the back-court...

Aldrich
Aldridge
Carmelo
Durant
Shump :)
Strength and Honour!

Return to New York Knicks