ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks sign Orlando Sanchez

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MDDN48
Senior
And1: 165

Re: Knicks sign Orlando Sanchez 

Post#41 » by MDDN48 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:24 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Right now the Knicks have 14 guaranteed contracts.

Sam Dalembert's contract is not guaranteed but I can't see the Knicks dropping him to carry any of the 3 other guys (Wear, Galloway or Sanchez) since Dalembert, right now, is their starting C. Knicks are trying to win and you don't win by dropping an experienced veteran center that can defend, rebound and block shots for undrafted guys.

Sure theoretically this is the Knicks and they could waive one of the other 14 guaranteed contracts but I don't really see any being viable (Jackson apparently like Outlaw quite a bit and thinks he can actually be the primary backup to Anthony at SF...so most teams wouldn't waive their backup SF...and if they didn't want Acy they'd not have guaranteed his contract when they traded for him...and those are your 2 most likely guys with guaranteed contracts to be waived). Unless Jackson makes a trade (2 for 1, 3 for 2, etc.) none of these guys has a shot in hell of making the team.

Even if Jackson makes a trade to open up a roster spot, it's more likely that he'll use it on a veteran FA.

Right now here's a list of the remaining free agents (some may have already signed, not the point) that would be better than any of those 3 guys they added to training camp. And money beyond vet minimum is pretty much just about run out so it's not like any of these guys can be automatically ruled out (only Eric Bledsoe technically remains a free agent that would most definitely not accept a vet minimum contract):

Andray Blatche
Ray Allen
Ramon Sessions
Jordan Crawford
Andrew Bynum
Jermaine O'Neal
Emeka Okafor
Michael Beasley
Bo McCalebb
Rashard Lewis
Dante Cunningham
Greg Oden
Kenyon Martin
Louis Amundson
Nazr Mohammed
Aron Baynes
Daniel Gibson
Rasual Butler
Stephen Jackson
Tyrus Thomas
Jared Cunningham
Willie Reed
Mike James
Dahntay Jones
Josh Harrellson
Damion James
DJ White

If the Knicks don't want "old guys" because they may bitch about playing time, then give a guy like Willie Reed, Jared Cunningham or Damion James a spot. All 3 of these guys are better overall talents with more upside than the 3 new guys the Knicks signed.

Wish we could take the E out of willie and replace it with an S. And sign that man to the vet minimum

Wait. You wonna sign a 72 year old retired guy?? :o
"DARE TO BE GREAT"

COMPANY MERCH: http://jam3productions.bigcartel.com/
KnicksFan7
Sixth Man
And1: 868

Post#42 » by KnicksFan7 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:48 pm

tape up
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#43 » by tape up » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Thorn wrote:
DE FENSE wrote:Sooooo......too soon for a nick name? Whatever I'm calling him Dirty.

I support this nickname.

He already goes by the nickname Primo.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m- ... 22301.html

I like dirty though
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#44 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:18 pm

not sure if anyone has said this but, at his best, Sanchez reminds me of Blatche
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Post#45 » by moocow007 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:09 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:not sure if anyone has said this but, at his best, Sanchez reminds me of Blatche

Just not as tall or athletic? I've watched a few St. Johns games, don't ever recall Sanchez standing out. But maybe it was just a couple games he either didn't play in or didn't do anything noticeable in.
yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Post#46 » by yaboynyp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Surprised by this, he showed very little at St Johns…
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#47 » by 2010 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:48 pm

People saying he didn't have an impact at St. John's clearly either didn't watch the games (boxscore beasts) or they don't know basketball. Sanchez was one of their best bigs (probably only Jakarr Sampson was better). He impacted the game in ways that don't show up in the boxscore. His game transcends #'s and I'm glad Phil recognizes that. He is a good fit for the triangle and at the very least he will be developed on our D-League affiliate aside Antetokounmpo. Yes he's 26 but his game will age well since he is a cerebral player who doesn't rely on physical ability.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by moocow007 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:53 pm

2010 wrote:People saying he didn't have an impact at St. John's clearly either didn't watch the games (boxscore beasts) or they don't know basketball. Sanchez was one of their best bigs (probably only Jakarr Sampson was better). He impacted the game in ways that don't show up in the boxscore. His game transcends #'s and I'm glad Phil recognizes that. He is a good fit for the triangle and at the very least he will be developed on our D-League affiliate aside Antetokounmpo. Yes he's 26 but his game will age well since he is a cerebral player who doesn't rely on physical ability.

Sampson I remember. Sampson just signed a 3 year deal with the Sixers I believe.
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#49 » by mugzi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:
2010 wrote:People saying he didn't have an impact at St. John's clearly either didn't watch the games (boxscore beasts) or they don't know basketball. Sanchez was one of their best bigs (probably only Jakarr Sampson was better). He impacted the game in ways that don't show up in the boxscore. His game transcends #'s and I'm glad Phil recognizes that. He is a good fit for the triangle and at the very least he will be developed on our D-League affiliate aside Antetokounmpo. Yes he's 26 but his game will age well since he is a cerebral player who doesn't rely on physical ability.

Sampson I remember. Sampson just signed a 3 year deal with the Sixers I believe.

Did you say Sampson? :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnghmjvGUsI[/youtube]
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#50 » by DrCoach » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Just spoke to his agent, pretty excited for him to get this opportunity
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#51 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 pm

DrCoach wrote:Just spoke to his agent, pretty excited for him to get this opportunity

You spoke with him? Huh?

RBA's client list isn't the most appealing. You know something is up when the most recognized name on the list of Rashad McCants.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#52 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 pm

moocow007 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:not sure if anyone has said this but, at his best, Sanchez reminds me of Blatche

Just not as tall or athletic? I've watched a few St. Johns games, don't ever recall Sanchez standing out. But maybe it was just a couple games he either didn't play in or didn't do anything noticeable in.

he does seem super athletic to me

i guess he's got that ability to hit the 3, fake the 3 and drive and fishing through traffic

which when compared to my own ability I consider quite athletic
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#53 » by siar617 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:01 am

So when do we restart Dalembert to Cleveland for a 1st?
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#54 » by 2010 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:04 am

moocow007 wrote:

Yes, Sampson did indeed just sign a 3-year partially guaranteed deal with Philly. Sampson just stands out more because he is a young athletic high flyer who finishes above the rim and has a foul-line extended jumper. Sampson also has some potential defensively if he puts it all together.

But Sanchez was easily their 2nd best big man. Chris Obekpa in fact almost transferred away from St. John's due to being upset he often sat in crunch time in favor of Sanchez. One of the reasons Coach Lavin was able to talk Obekpa into coming back was because Sanchez ran out of eligibility. And Obekpa is no slouch. He led the nation in shotblocking 2 years ago and last season was top-10 I believe as well.

So if Sanchez took his minutes that supports the importance of what Sanchez brings. He does the small things coaches appreciate (rebounding, pushing it upcourt himself as a PF, he can pass very well, he has a handle, and he is mobile - if not athletic).

But on another note, not sure if I read that wrong but NoLayUpRule is 100% incorrect if he is saying Sanchez is athletic. He is not an above the rim player at all. But he is very skilled and has high-IQ.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#55 » by DrCoach » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:33 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Just spoke to his agent, pretty excited for him to get this opportunity

You spoke with him? Huh?

RBA's client list isn't the most appealing. You know something is up when the most recognized name on the list of Rashad McCants.

Yes, BJ Bass. I've signed one if his clients before
bballoctober
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#56 » by bballoctober » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:I think that list answers the question Moo -- barring some type of late trade -- the 3 late camp signings are just camp bodies or the Knicks would have gone out and grabbed a couple of the dudes you've noted.

If they play well, they may get stashed on the D-league team. That's the most likely outcome particularly for Sanchez.
I will only cherish the wins and ignore everything else, because that's the only way to survive as a Knicks fan.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by moocow007 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:44 pm

DrCoach wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

You spoke with him? Huh?

Yes, BJ Bass. I've signed one if his clients before

Isiah is that you? :D
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#58 » by poeman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:52 pm

I saw Sanchez play alot as I am a SJU alum and saw their games...He wasnt on the floor all the time. But when he was he was a pivotal piece of the offense.

He gets into alot of foul trouble...I expect he is camp fodder and will get cut. Not to say he doesnt have potential. He is built like a Boris Diaw but needs alot of work
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#59 » by DrCoach » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Isiah is that you? :D

;)
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#60 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:38 pm

moocow007 wrote:Despite being a new Yorker that used to follow St. Johns all the time...WHO?

Let me Mel Kiper Jr this. He's a physical threat with raw tools who can become a role player and give you 10/10. With fro he's really age 28. Without fro he's 23. ;)

Return to New York Knicks