ImageImageImageImageImage

What is the Triangle Offense: A Spike Lee Joint

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

yaboynyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 206

Re: What is the Triangle Offense: A Spike Lee Joint 

Post#21 » by yaboynyp » Sat Oct 4, 2014 9:02 pm

If there was only a video out there explaining the Pick and Roll it would be rendered useless once opponents saw it. hmmm..

No seriously good offense is good offense and can’t be stopped if executed properly. These guys are pro’s, you’re not fooling anyone with your offensive scheme these days. Just have to execute better than your opponent.
Logicjbr
Rookie
And1: 86

Post#22 » by Logicjbr » Sun Oct 5, 2014 4:57 pm

PMFJB wrote:
Thorn wrote:I wish he wouldn't.

Though to be honest anyone can study the triangle there are hundreds of playbooks, online manuals, and videos that detail it.. but to me I would rather he make his little video FOR the Knicks to help them understand and keep it internal to the organization.

That's the thing while there can be tons of study material but a lot of people learn visually. If he dumbs it down enough that people are like "OH i get it" then we are screwed. :banghead:

I don't think it will have anything to do with Spike if we succeed or fail with the triangle.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#23 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Oct 6, 2014 12:23 am

JSmooth93 wrote:You guys are silly.

You can know that Curry is gonna take the three off the dribble, doesn't mean you'll stop it.
That Bron is gonna drive, that Griffin is going for the poster.

Just the same, you can know Melo's gonna PnR in the corner with a big. Or that Jose is gonna set a brush screen and flare out to the week side for the swing pass. Doesn't mean you're going to stop them.
Yeah I agree man. I gotta admit I was laughing pretty hard after reading page 1 and the paranoid feeling some guys got from Spike's project.

Trust me the Knicks will be fine, no matter how many sees this joint Spike is putting out. In all honesty the only guys that can function defensively against the Triangle is guys that have played extensively in it. I remember the 2000 WCF against the Blazers and how Pippen was directing the Blazers defense on sets the Lakers were running out the Tri. But guess what ?....they still didn't stop it !

That said there are a few of Phil's ex players that are assistants and can give input in the scouting reports but it won't matter much. Tyron Lue with the Cavs, Luke Walton with the Warriors along with coach Steve Kerr and Brian Shaw in Denver know it well but it doesn't mean they're teams can grind it to a halt.

But I do admit the common fan doesn't understand the Triangle, and it will take awhile to actually see the sets form on the floor while watching. But one day all of you Knick fans will see and understand every sequence. The beautiful thing about the Tri is there are no set plays, just move the ball until you see a break in the defense.

Good luck Knick fans you'll be OK.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,908

Post#24 » by DaGawd » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:16 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
JSmooth93 wrote:You guys are silly.

You can know that Curry is gonna take the three off the dribble, doesn't mean you'll stop it.
That Bron is gonna drive, that Griffin is going for the poster.

Just the same, you can know Melo's gonna PnR in the corner with a big. Or that Jose is gonna set a brush screen and flare out to the week side for the swing pass. Doesn't mean you're going to stop them.
Yeah I agree man. I gotta admit I was laughing pretty hard after reading page 1 and the paranoid feeling some guys got from Spike's project.

Trust me the Knicks will be fine, no matter how many sees this joint Spike is putting out. In all honesty the only guys that can function defensively against the Triangle is guys that have played extensively in it. I remember the 2000 WCF against the Blazers and how Pippen was directing the Blazers defense on sets the Lakers were running out the Tri. But guess what ?....they still didn't stop it !

That said there are a few of Phil's ex players that are assistants and can give input in the scouting reports but it won't matter much. Tyron Lue with the Cavs, Luke Walton with the Warriors along with coach Steve Kerr and Brian Shaw in Denver know it well but it doesn't mean they're teams can grind it to a halt.

But I do admit the common fan doesn't understand the Triangle, and it will take awhile to actually see the sets form on the floor while watching. But one day all of you Knick fans will see and understand every sequence. The beautiful thing about the Tri is there are no set plays, just move the ball until you see a break in the defense.

Good luck Knick fans you'll be OK.

Thanks for calming these mudaf*ckas down
BaF
Washington Wizards
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,089

Post#25 » by blueNorange » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:41 pm

Kobe is about done so no more la games for the fake fan known as spike lee

Still a huge fan of dick I bet
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#26 » by NYKBaller » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:15 am

Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#27 » by Thorn » Wed Oct 8, 2014 11:36 am

I hear the people saying it doesn't matter, and I get it. The information is out there... again I coach it with kids. But you take spike lee and he presents it in a way that appeals more to the players today and dummies it down even knuckleheads like JR Smith could get it...

Wait a second, keep up the good work Spike!
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#28 » by GYK » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:01 am

Anyone can pick it up. Tonight in the 2nd half we ran Tri Angle Base a lot going weak side with the stretch four player for the dribble drive handoff(although entry passing was a problem as well as the handoff). We didn't go inside since Acy isn't a post option.
You can find it in 2K 12 and it's beautiful and impossible to stop if the passes as delivered and caught. The shot being made is on the player at that point.

What Spike is doing is great for the team and the players. Perception makes up a lot of reality. If the system is seen as unbeatable it seeps into the minds of our players, the other players and media.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#29 » by NYKBaller » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:01 am

Jr must have this on dvr
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#30 » by BKAY » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:05 am

Derek fisher is one very well spoken man

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,134

Post#31 » by waya » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:08 am

BKAY wrote:Derek fisher is one very well spoken man

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

You can tell Spike doesn't know sh*t though
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,134

Post#32 » by waya » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:12 am

If anyone hasn't seen these videos already, they explain the main options of the Triangle really well.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNyKnN9AMIE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzXnOALd1k[/youtube]
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#33 » by BeagleBoss » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:20 am

Watching this, its clear why JR can't play in this system. He's too dumb.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#34 » by Besart19 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 am

I think Phil despite winning 11 rings as a coach, he should've developed some other alternative offensive sets and callplays to mix it up with the triangle heavy offense!! Maybe Steve Kerr can develop such a mix, being coached by two best coaches of these last 2 decades: Phil and Pop!!

At least we have two non-triangle assistants... plus Fish has played for several other coaches, too
Strength and Honour!
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Post#35 » by kingquan316 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am

All I know is that making this show and showing it to the public can only help knicks opponents. Not saying it will, but I don't see how this is an advantage for the knicks. I won't sweat it though.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#36 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:51 am

BeagleBoss wrote:Watching this, its clear why JR can't play in this system. He's too dumb.

It's obvious that he failed geometry in high school...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan

Return to New York Knicks