ImageImageImageImageImage

POLL: A top 10 pick or playoff series win

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

A top 10 pick or playoff series win?

First Round Playoff Series Win
40%
Top 10 Draft Pick
33%
Only want the pick if it's top 3
27%

Total votes: 45

MetaKnick13
General Manager
And1: 343

Re: POLL: A top 10 pick or playoff series win 

Post#21 » by MetaKnick13 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Obviously it would be much more fun to watch them win a playoff series, especially because it could indicate to potential free agents that this would be a team worth going to. But hey, if it all falls apart, having a lottery pick wouldn't be the worst thing for this team.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,265

Post#22 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:39 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Unless we are getting a top 5 pick (very doubtful considering how many bad teams there are), its probably not worth it. The difference between a 8-10 pick and 15-20 pick isn't that huge. We seem to have more luck with later picks then early picks anyway.

There's 0 chance we tank out of the gate anyway. We will just play it out and see where the cards land.

I completely disagree with this statement. Look throughout the history of the draft. You typically get either a higher upside guy or a more sure thing type role player in the 8-10 range than you do in the 15-20 range. Also, a pick in the 8-10 range is a more valuable trade asset than a pick in the 15-20 range.

I agree that were not going to tank out of the gate. I just don't think this team is very good. Besides Cle and Chi, I think Washington and Toronto have better rosters and I think you can put the Heat and Hawks in that category as well. I think it will be a dog fight between the Knicks, Nets and Hornets for the final 2 playoff spots. U think we sneek in assuming Lopez misses half the year with injury and D-Will plays like Brooklyn D-Will.

I don’t think the Knicks will be that great either, but I also don’t think the east is that good. I am not really buying that Toronto, Atlanta, Washington or Miami are juggernauts.

I can totally understand why people would take the top 10 pick, but picking in that range is definetly a crap shoot. If you compare the percentages maybe there's a 10% to 20% difference? At this point I’d just rather take the playoff series win and a pick in the 15 to 20 range over a top 10 pick. In previous years I would have def taken the top 10 pick, but this is year 1 of a new era that I can actually get behind and it would be huge to get off to a good start for many different reasons. It probably means that some good things happened and we are in the right direction.

But if we are bad and end up with a pick around 8-10 then that’s not the worst thing either.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,441

Post#23 » by KnicksGod » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:44 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Unless we are getting a top 5 pick (very doubtful considering how many bad teams there are), its probably not worth it. The difference between a 8-10 pick and 15-20 pick isn't that huge. We seem to have more luck with later picks then early picks anyway.

There's 0 chance we tank out of the gate anyway. We will just play it out and see where the cards land.

I completely disagree with this statement. Look throughout the history of the draft. You typically get either a higher upside guy or a more sure thing type role player in the 8-10 range than you do in the 15-20 range. Also, a pick in the 8-10 range is a more valuable trade asset than a pick in the 15-20 range.

I agree that were not going to tank out of the gate. I just don't think this team is very good. Besides Cle and Chi, I think Washington and Toronto have better rosters and I think you can put the Heat and Hawks in that category as well. I think it will be a dog fight between the Knicks, Nets and Hornets for the final 2 playoff spots. U think we sneek in assuming Lopez misses half the year with injury and D-Will plays like Brooklyn D-Will.

Hornets? I think they're better than most teams in the East, including Washington.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#24 » by JBreezeNY » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Top 3 pick thank you.

This is a transition year, our team clearly isn't good enough to be play well defensively or consistently follow the system Fisher wants to coach. Why would I want my team to struggle into the playoffs just to lose? Or better yet struggle into the playoffs, win a playoff series and then lose?

If winning playoff series is good enough for you guys then you're honestly losers.

It's either winning a championship or getting a top pick, there is never an in-between, you don't get a trophy for getting to the Eastern Conference Finals or getting to the NBA Finals. Just like when we won 54 games & lost in the second round, I called that season a failure because we didn't win a championship. If we get a top pick combined with Melo & some talent that we don't let expire, we could be dangerous come 2016. I'm not too confident in any of the talent past the top 5 in next year's draft so top 3/top 5 is good with me.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,265

Post#25 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:11 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:Top 3 pick thank you.

This is a transition year, our team clearly isn't good enough to be play well defensively or consistently follow the system Fisher wants to coach. Why would I want my team to struggle into the playoffs just to lose? Or better yet struggle into the playoffs, win a playoff series and then lose?

If winning playoff series is good enough for you guys then you're honestly losers.

It's either winning a championship or getting a top pick, there is never an in-between, you don't get a trophy for getting to the Eastern Conference Finals or getting to the NBA Finals. Just like when we won 54 games & lost in the second round, I called that season a failure because we didn't win a championship. If we get a top pick combined with Melo & some talent that we don't let expire, we could be dangerous come 2016. I'm not too confident in any of the talent past the top 5 in next year's draft so top 3/top 5 is good with me.

yeah, either go for it to win, or just bottom out. I am sick of this in between crap. There's really not a ton of benefit to being in the bottom 8 to 10 range. Nobody is tanking for the 9th pick.

If we go for it and finish it that range then so be it.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
MDDN48
Senior
And1: 165

Post#26 » by MDDN48 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:19 pm

There really is no way to make season-win predictions, playoff predictions, etc; because I am of the thinking that come February, we will be fielding a slightly different team after the trade deadline. :wink: :pray:
"DARE TO BE GREAT"

COMPANY MERCH: http://jam3productions.bigcartel.com/
Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#27 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:40 pm

I think I'd rather make the playoffs, but ONLY, and ONLY if Zen mgmt does not fall for the trick of the expiring contract. Regardless of how well some of these players play this season, it is clear that we must move on if he haven't by the time the playoffs start. Specifically Amare, Bargs, and JR.
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#28 » by dakomish23 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 am

#15 pick
#8 seed upsetting Chicago
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#29 » by kane2021 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 am

The experience in winning a playoff series is way more valuable than a lottery pick, for a teams future. And as a fan who wants to root for a loser?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using RealGM Forums mobile app

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

Return to New York Knicks