ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil Jackson Scouting Report on the Entire Roster

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Re: Phil Jackson Scouting Report on the Entire Roster 

Post#241 » by moocow007 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:
"The type of player I've been, it's a struggle," Smith said. "I'm not going to lie. Trying to think about the rest of the team over myself and my scoring is something I've never really had to do before."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketbal ... -1.9536429

Admitting it is the first step to recovery. :D
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,183

Post#242 » by aq_ua » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 pm

A little disappointed that Phil sees Aldrich as an emergency center than a true rotation player. The Dally/Aldrich gives us a really nice pairing of centers that know their role and can be effective regardless of the minutes they play. Both those guys let us play Amare without losing too much paint protection. Hope Phil has revisited his thinking there.
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#243 » by 2010 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:31 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:
"The type of player I've been, it's a struggle," Smith said. "I'm not going to lie. Trying to think about the rest of the team over myself and my scoring is something I've never really had to do before."

Spoken like a true idiot

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#244 » by Johnny Hoops » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:41 pm

greenhughes wrote:
cmoney24x wrote:
greenhughes wrote:Image

Im just curious, what is it about Iman's game that bothers you so much ? I agree with you on both Amare and Barf, but Im not sure with the whole Iman thing.

I hate Iman because he is a defensively overrated, always trying to play passing lanes, gambling ass, can't shoot for anything yet keeps throwing up shots because he thinks he a star that pouts when he might get traded, talkin' bout "hol' my phone" when he does finally hit a shot, non-dribbling, can't finish around the rim even though he thinks he's a beast, non-rapping, non-dressing, sweat factory, mop the floor during intros because he thinks he's a star...

Other than that I love him.

Gotta say Greenie -- that is pretty much my view of Iman.

I'm hoping for better things but until he really gets his personality in check he will continue to dissapoint with less than stellar on-court decisions. Great example last night -- Gortat is clearly positioned in the key and IMAN tries to throw down a half-ass dunk - turns into a WIZ dunk at the other end of the court.

Iman's biggest enemy is his own belief that he is a potential star -- his body/game are to stiff to be a star.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,215

Post#245 » by mpharris36 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:

I'm hoping for better things but until he really gets his personality in check he will continue to dissapoint with less than stellar on-court decisions. Great example last night -- Gortat is clearly positioned in the key and IMAN tries to throw down a half-ass dunk - turns into a WIZ dunk at the other end of the court.

Iman's biggest enemy is his own belief that he is a potential star -- his body/game are to stiff to be a star.

where the disagreements come from is how people view him unfairly.

He is a role player, role players make mistakes. If you are going to harp on one poor play he made last night then yes he was trying to be uber aggressive and it cost us on that one play.

But why do people fair to bring up the 8 points in 14 minutes (3-5 shooting) and the lock down defense on wall on the last possession.

He is far from a star but for what we pay him and what is expected of him he is a solid contributor/role player and by far our best perimeter defender.

He is very valuable to our team.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,977

Post#246 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:
greenhughes wrote:
cmoney24x wrote:
Im just curious, what is it about Iman's game that bothers you so much ? I agree with you on both Amare and Barf, but Im not sure with the whole Iman thing.

I hate Iman because he is a defensively overrated, always trying to play passing lanes, gambling ass, can't shoot for anything yet keeps throwing up shots because he thinks he a star that pouts when he might get traded, talkin' bout "hol' my phone" when he does finally hit a shot, non-dribbling, can't finish around the rim even though he thinks he's a beast, non-rapping, non-dressing, sweat factory, mop the floor during intros because he thinks he's a star...

Other than that I love him.

Iman played really well last night. He did a lot more good then bad on the court.

That play turned out bad and it may have been bad timing on his part, but I like to see Shump being agressive in attacking the rim like that in general. He played last night with an aggression and a fear nobody type of attitude that we need from him. I will take that play every game if it means Shump will play the rest of the game like he did last night
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#247 » by ctorres » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:35 pm

I thought THjr was shorter than JR and Shump. 6'8 would make him taller than both.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,405
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#248 » by E-Balla » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 pm

ctorres wrote:I thought THjr was shorter than JR and Shump. 6'8 would make him taller than both.

Hardaway JR was measured at 6-4.5 barefoot at the combine (6-6 in sneakers) at the age of 21. Shump is 6-4.25 barefoot (6-5.5 in sneakers) and JR is an inch taller than both measuring at 6-5.5 (6-7 in sneakers) coming out of high school. There's no way Tim grew 2 inches or got taller than JR. Phil's getting old.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#249 » by E-Balla » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:55 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Johnny Hoops wrote:

where the disagreements come from is how people view him unfairly.

He is a role player, role players make mistakes. If you are going to harp on one poor play he made last night then yes he was trying to be uber aggressive and it cost us on that one play.

But why do people fair to bring up the 8 points in 14 minutes (3-5 shooting) and the lock down defense on wall on the last possession.

He is far from a star but for what we pay him and what is expected of him he is a solid contributor/role player and by far our best perimeter defender.

He is very valuable to our team.

I feel like as long as you're worth your contract I like you. Shump is a slight deal at what we're paying for him.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,217

Post#250 » by KnicksGod » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:57 pm

2010 wrote:
knickabocker88 wrote:

Spoken like a true idiot

He's too stupid and/or just doesn't care enough to even hide that hideous thought.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,217

Post#251 » by KnicksGod » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:07 pm

E-Balla wrote:
ctorres wrote:I thought THjr was shorter than JR and Shump. 6'8 would make him taller than both.

Hardaway JR was measured at 6-4.5 barefoot at the combine (6-6 in sneakers) at the age of 21. Shump is 6-4.25 barefoot (6-5.5 in sneakers) and JR is an inch taller than both measuring at 6-5.5 (6-7 in sneakers) coming out of high school. There's no way Tim grew 2 inches or got taller than JR. Phil's getting old.

He may have made a couple of miscues but his analysis and observations were almost all as sharp as a tack.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#252 » by E-Balla » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

He may have made a couple of miscues but his analysis and observations were almost all as sharp as a tack.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I agreed with everything he said.
bballoctober
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#253 » by bballoctober » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 pm

One bad thing from this article is that Travis Outlaw is making the roster.
I will only cherish the wins and ignore everything else, because that's the only way to survive as a Knicks fan.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Post#254 » by moocow007 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:34 pm

bballoctober wrote:One bad thing from this article is that Travis Outlaw is making the roster.

Jackson actually hinted at the time of the trade that Outlaw was at least on equal grounds with Acy in terms of why they did trade and whom they wanted.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,215

Post#255 » by mpharris36 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 pm

outlaw hasn't played in the last 4 preseason games. I think its safe to say they are leaning towards cutting him and keeping Wear. Wear just seems like he is grasping the system better and he already seems like a better shooter than outlaw.

he is a younger piece that maybe we can sign to a two year deal - second year unguaranteed.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
bballoctober
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#256 » by bballoctober » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:03 pm

mpharris36 wrote:outlaw hasn't played in the last 4 preseason games. I think its safe to say they are leaning towards cutting him and keeping Wear. Wear just seems like he is grasping the system better and he already seems like a better shooter than outlaw.

he is a younger piece that maybe we can sign to a two year deal - second year unguaranteed.

In the article, Phil says they're putting him in the D-league. But I feel the same way about giving Wear that spot.
I will only cherish the wins and ignore everything else, because that's the only way to survive as a Knicks fan.
CousinOfDeath
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,260

Post#257 » by CousinOfDeath » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Did I just read Travis Outlaw is a shooter?
suckfish wrote:Reminder: NBA players are stupid.
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#258 » by FemaleDogPlease » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:25 am

Knicks own their pick this year.

Knicks will trade for players who can potentially help them past this year.

Only keepers are Carmelo, Hardaway, and Early.
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#259 » by Mr_Perfect » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:32 am

CousinOfDeath wrote:Did I just read Travis Outlaw is a shooter?

He must have said when he was high.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#260 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:33 am

Aldrich commits too many silly fouls for my liking. And he was getting owned by Seraphin the last game. He's the most overrated player on this roster. Why can't people just accept that he's a 3rd string big?

Return to New York Knicks