ImageImageImageImageImage

When JR leads us to a championship

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

When JR leads us to a championship 

Post#1 » by frogfood » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm not going to lie. Trying to think about the rest of the team over myself or my scoring is something that I never really had to do before.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/baske ... -1.1117241
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,127

Re: When JR leads us to a championship 

Post#2 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Before the rally monkeys come pitch forks in hand, the article and Smith is actually painted positively

But this season, the explosively talented Smith has found that getting his own shot is not the priority. While much has been made about the installation of the triangle offense in New York by new Knicks coach Derek Fisher and team president Phil Jackson and its effect on Carmelo Anthony, it is Smith who admittedly has struggled to be part of something bigger than himself.

"Yeah, absolutely. I mean, believe it or not being the type of player I've been, it's a struggle," Smith said after Wednesday's preseason win over Washington. "I'm not going to lie. Trying to think about the rest of the team over myself or my scoring is something that I never really had to do before. I've always been in a situation to score. [Now I'm] in position to take my time and let the game come and let my teammates succeed more than myself. I think that's the ultimate win.

"[Fisher] just told me — look at the rings they have. It's worked. I want one so bad, I'll do whatever it takes. If it takes me sacrificing my scoring, that's what it takes."

Fisher didn't actually put the rings on the table, but he let the point be made — he earned five rings playing for Jackson in the system. The Knicks will be re-made and anyone who is coming along will play the way that Fisher is demanding.

"This is difficult to do," Fisher said. "[Wednesday] night we talked about we're not just installing new software to the computer. We're building a computer from scratch and that's not easy to do. So in terms of just helping, we kind of framed the idea that — not really look at the rings per se, but just looking at how people that have been successful at anything they've done — the way they go about doing it, there's a consistency to their habits.

"There's a particular type of culture involved. There's a commitment to others and a service to others and making everyone else better and putting the group first. Every successful group has done that, so it's not so much about my rings or the teams I've been on. You can look at just about every great sports team and point to very similar traits, so that's what we're trying to message to our players now — that it's not just about doing what we say because of what we've done. But look at what a lot of great teams or great individuals have done. You have to get it done a certain way."
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#3 » by Ignitowsky » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 pm

I was much more interested in what Fisher had to say in that article than JR. Every time Fish opens his mouth I become even more sure that we lucked out when we "lost" Kerr and landed Fisher.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,264

Post#4 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 pm

que JR Sniff gif
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#5 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:18 pm

How's that moocow?
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#6 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Players saying the right thing right now, we need to see the continuation of this through the first few games though. People buying into the system will make this season a fun one for sure.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#7 » by GYK » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:41 pm

JR needs better players around him to fall in line. His best seasons are such seasons.
Once we get the team he will no longer think and know his extreme importance and will win us a series.
GardenFaith
Senior
And1: 450

Post#8 » by GardenFaith » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Talk is cheap JR.

I am glad he is "willing" to buy in but I want to see the effort put in on court.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#9 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:50 pm

GardenFaith wrote:Talk is cheap JR.

I am glad he is "willing" to buy in but I want to see the effort put in on court.

I thought last game was a great game from this aspect by JR. He was almost nervous to shoot in the 1st half and then I think Fish gave him a little pep talk and in the 4th quarter JR picked his spots well and had a well rounded box score. That's the kind of potential JR has in this league. He can affect game in so many ways. Good man to man d, Rebounding, Playmaking and of course shooting. I think the Triangle and Fisher are going to either maximize what JR brings or he is going to get frustrated and revert to the old JR. Either way the Knicks win out because they'll stop playing him and he'll force his way out or he'll become a great second/third option next to Melo.
Separatista
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#10 » by Separatista » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 pm

What I notice in JR, and for the majority of the team, is that they are hesitant to score even though the opportunity was there. JR is a very good catch and shoot player and I think there was a stat that shows how proficient he is in this area. However, in the preseason games we saw, he often misses this chance when the defender sags on him and when he decided to score, it's too late therefore we see the patented step back brick.
three2theD
Banned User
And1: 465

Post#11 » by three2theD » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 pm

I've tuned JR out a long time ago. Before he came to NY I wanted him bad, and when we got him I was as excited as hell. Since then he's been a big disappointment. At this point I have written him off.
Moose
Analyst
And1: 1,315

Post#12 » by Moose » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:14 pm

...when pigs fly...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-1_Wpm7t8[/youtube]
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#13 » by br7knicks » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 am

as much as i hate JR, and i'm his least favorite fan on this forum, i do think it's the fault of all the coaches he's had. nobody has held him accountable at any point.

that being said, he'll never change. he's too far gone. get him the **** off this team. bring me in a young defensive center or swingman.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#14 » by HeartBreaking » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 am

I would pay money to see JR go off and carry any team to a title
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.
GettinitDone
Head Coach
And1: 2,923

Post#15 » by GettinitDone » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:33 am

Moose wrote:...when pigs fly...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-1_Wpm7t8[/youtube]

:rofl:

I'll give it 2 weeks before JR starts reverting back to old him
GardenFaith
Senior
And1: 450

Post#16 » by GardenFaith » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 am

HeartBreaking wrote:I would pay money to see JR go off and carry any team to a title

We kind of already do when we buy knicks tickets.

Return to New York Knicks