ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA Part 1

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,096

Re: Around the NBA Part 1 

Post#2461 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Capn'O wrote:Knicks need players that can understand an organized offense and defense at a high level. Neither Stat nor JR fit that bill. Stat at least tries.

You know, absolutely. I'm not saying that I wanted to keep Smith, especially in the Triangle. All I'm really tired of was the incessant JR Smith is the Anti-Christ narratives around here. Just to not hear that any longer was worth trading him IMO beyond simply the poor fit. But to now hear folks trying to minimize and hating on the success he's having in Cleveland is just silly and says a lot about those people IMO. I mean, my goodness, the guy is doing well somewhere else...great for him...move on.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,582

Post#2462 » by Capn'O » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:16 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Knicks need players that can understand an organized offense and defense at a high level. Neither Stat nor JR fit that bill. Stat at least tries.

You know, absolutely. I'm not saying that I wanted to keep Smith, especially in the Triangle. All I'm really tired of was the incessant JR Smith is the Anti-Christ narratives around here. Just to not hear that any longer was worth trading him IMO beyond simply the poor fit. But to now hear folks trying to minimize and hating on the success he's having in Cleveland is just silly and says a lot about those people IMO. I mean, my goodness, the guy is doing well somewhere else...great for him...move on.

I hear you Moo, and I know your support for the troubled but good hearted folks in the league comes from a good place. I am just so happy not to have to watch him play basketball on a regular basis anymore. Just the highlights will do, thanks.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Post#2463 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:17 pm

JR will do fine as a guy that can light it up as a freelancer from the game plan. Then hook him when he's cold.

He'll continue to have a hot streak there... as long as he's sober, that is.

Exactly.. and he'll continue to struggle in the playoffs also. He always has.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,967

Post#2464 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:24 pm

JR's not the ani-christ, he's just someone who would rather party and joke around then be ready for playoff games. I would prefer to have players who take things more seriously and actually care about winning on Knicks. Good riddance.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,582

Post#2465 » by Capn'O » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 pm

That's quite the thread they had there.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#2466 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:48 pm

I for one never thought that getting rid of JR would cure the Knicks of all their ails, but it is a good place to start. Sure he was used improperly, but he never did us nor himself any favors with his behaviors off court, which bled onto his oncourt performance... which is where it all really counts. He is the poster boy for what not to be like to todays youth. From his gangsta antics while he was on the nuggets, to his immaturity and irresponsibilty here on the Knicks. He's an ungrateful prick who didn't appreciate his breaks or his talents. Those of you rooting for him, enjoy him now, as he will fizzle.

He loss is our gain, and by gain I don't mean wins... we got bigger fish to fry, and bigger tanks to drive.
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#2467 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:52 am

moocow007 wrote:
What narrative? That JR Smith is the not the Anti-Christ narrative?

You mean, the Knicks are better off without JR long term narrative.

moocow007 wrote: Just like Stephon Marbury wasn't the Anti-Christ narrative? That's the narrative I'm after. I mean how many times are we going to do this as fans? Focus blame on someone, chirp to no end that if we shed that anti-Christ that things will turn but it doesn't? Guys we like we protect to no end. Guys we hate we demonize to no end? When does this silly little tit for tat end? Never? 2085?

I don't think I've seen a single fan pin all of our troubles on JR. But a lot of people recognized that JR was actively struggling with the system, that historically he's been disruptive and that he had no short term value to a team looking to reset. Steph got a raw deal and deserved a shot in D'antoni's offense, but again...After he got into an altercation with the team president on a plane, my sympathy for his situation was gone. And while we're on better off without him, moving Tyson Chandler was the right move too...and Woodson. None of them are the anti-christ, but none of them were beneficial to this team long term and they all behaved in ways deserving of criticism. JR more than anyone.

moocow007 wrote:George Karl himself said that JR Smith is an important weapon to the Nuggets success due to what he can do on the floor BUT is someone that you have to know how to use...much like a gun. Karl has said explicitly that Smith most definitely can contribute to success. Does that mean that George Karl liked him as a person? NOOOOOOO. Did JR Smith suddenly start doing stupid things after he got to NY? NOOOOOO again. So...ONCE AGAIN...JR Smith has been this anti-Christ character fans want to paint him as BEFORE NY. Ergo my quip about finding God. Nothing has changed. He was a successful weapon that helped the Nuggets win when he was in Denver because Karl knew how to utilize him. He could have been that in NY. Didn't happen. Can he be that in Cleveland? Sure looks like it, don't it? The league is not full of boy scouts. The other team doesn't always have the better players. Grass isn't always greener.

Well the Knicks used him well enough for the best season of his career and all was forgiven from most...he blew that. So even when utilized in the best, most productive possible way, he imploded and was a detriment to the team. Even Karl didn't really have him figured out, his production was, is and always will be inconsistent (and that's when damn near everything else is uniform, minutes and system included). In fact, his production for the Knicks pre-trade isn't far off from his production in his final season at Denver. He's just not that good despite having all the ability to be great. And bringing up Cleveland after 7 games isn't proving much. For one, it's 7 games and for two, he's put up his typical production when you average it out. He is what he is.

moocow007 wrote:Honestly, how many people were hoping he fail in Cleveland so they can say they were right? How many people are furious right now that he's doing well? I mean think about it. Don't have to admit it...just think about it. And then maybe we can focus on which side actually is worse...JR Smith or his detractors who push for supposedly doing and thinking and saying the right things?

Hoping he'll fail or just expecting him to do something dumb and disruptive like the pattern his career has followed all along. If the Cavs can keep him behaved through the playoffs, they'll have lucked out and it won't have to do with good management. He had issues everywhere.

The hyperbole of "anti-christ" is useless, no one's saying that and the few people that push that much hate don't need to be bothered with because nobody's gonna change their mind. Acknowledge the real arguments against him...inconsistency, character issues (and no, this isn't a boy scout's league but it's also not a place where a 14 ppg, weak at everything else, unable to listen to coaches, partying during a playoff stint player gets a pass shooting 42% from the field), and an inability to grasp the system he was in.

moocow007 wrote:Who is comparing him to Stoudemire? Not me. I'm simply saying that using Stoudemire as an example of the scapegoat that folks keep wanting to find to justify something that is wrong.

Yeah, I get it, and it's a weak juxtaposition if you don't like the semantics. Stoudemire is disliked because of injuries more than anything else and that is out of his control. JR gets hate because of his behavior, no mitigating circumstances, he did a collection of stupid things that caused a large contingent of Knicks fans to give up on him in spite of his talent. Plus if you really want to ride that juxtaposition, would you really argue that this team is better off with either of those guys? I vehemently disagree

moocow007 wrote: JR Smith was a basketball player, just like Stoudemire. Smith produced extremely well at one point with the Knicks, just like Stoudemire. Smith ended his tenure in NY poorly, just like Stoudemire? Who the **** cares about personality if the result was the same? Would you rather a boy scout that can't do **** or a bad person that helps you win if utilized correctly?

Better questions,
Can you replace 14 ppg and not much else with a player who has more character? Yes
Is it worth that 14 ppg to have a guy on the team who has a history of being disruptive? Nope
Would I take a boy scout who will give me 14 ppg consistently rather than a bad person who gives me 20 points one night, 8 points the next? Yes, but I grant that it's debatable.

And just to conclude...there's always gonna be a whipping boy for fan bases. Landry Fields continued to be a whipping boy in Toronto, JR was in Denver and there's guys like Beasley who always get that hate. It's the nature of the fans, if they don't hate the players and the team is doing bad, it's the coach and if not him, then it's the damned owner. This gets especially bad when a guy doesn't seem to care about his team and if nothing else, JR gave a serious impression that he didn't give a damn (shoe laces, elbows, partying, pipe, etc).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,145

Post#2468 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:12 am

ibraheim718 wrote:Epic thread everyone here needs to visit.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1367811&start=20

And now it's pretty clear PMJB is 21shumpshumpst. :lol:

It has been obvious for a while now. Dude has some deep-seated insecurities.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,954

Post#2469 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:05 am

Apparently Michael Beasley is tearing up the CBA. He plays PG and scored 69 points during a recent game with 14 dunks.
delvec19
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#2470 » by delvec19 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:27 am

knicksh20b wrote:Apparently Michael Beasley is tearing up the CBA. He plays PG and scored 69 points during a recent game with 14 dunks.

It was the All Star Game..if you think the NBA's version of it doesn't have defense...wait til you watch clips of the CBA's.
Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#2471 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:01 pm

knicksh20b wrote:Apparently Michael Beasley is tearing up the CBA. He plays PG and scored 69 points during a recent game with 14 dunks.

I think if I played for the CBA, I'd be putting up amazing numbers, and dunking over everyone. And I haven't played ball in over a few years, and am only 5'9", have a gimpy knee, am over 35 yrs, and never dunked in my life. /green
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#2472 » by Mr Loggins » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:53 am

Former Knicks Mozgov and Smith gonna turn around he Cavs' season
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,871

Post#2473 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:08 am

moocow007 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
That was George Karl's mantra when JR Smith was helping Karl's Nuggets teams win 50+ games a season. It's really not hard.

He's also the guy who can't handle NY. He is a player more likely to succeed in Denver or CLE because of the night life.

JR isn't a bad dude, he is just an idiot. He doesn't no how to say no. DA on TNT reported that it was difficult for JR to juggle the nightlife of New York while playing basketball. It is easier in CLE because there is no nightlife.

That just shows you how immature and stupid JR is. I think we all established he had the talent. But he didn't have the mental fortitude to play in NY where all his friends are.

Going out late after playoff game or the night before a big game. That is just in-excusable especially if it negatively effects your performance. It clearly effected his performance.

The knicks are better without him in the long run, regardless if he prospers in CLE.

A LOT Of players go out before and after important games. The Knicks will need to find a 6th man next season with the limited cap space. The Knicks are still sucking and JR Smith isn't even here anymore (ergo my "he's not Josh Smith after all" comment). JR Smith isn't the only problem. Part of the problem was that the Knicks expected and asked him to play roles that he was not best at. And when he failed at it, he was the problem. The NBA is not chuck full of boy scouts. JR Smith didn't find god in Denver, lose it in NY and then find it again so quickly in Cleveland...and yet that is what a lot of you seem to be thinking. There isn't some super conspiracy against the Knicks and their fans by the heavens. The Knicks have continuously been poorly runned, poorly structured and poorly managed. THAT is and has always been the biggest problem. In JR Smith's case, the Knicks tried taking a 6th man and asked him to be the 2nd option. Relied on him to carry the team offensively when Anthony wasn't around and expected him to be the 2nd guy when Anthony was around. He couldn't, therefor he's the anti-Christ returned. Same way Stoudemire is a big thief and should be beaten to a pulp. Rinse. Repeat. Forever. While the rest of the world moves on around us.

While you are right to some degree JR during his 6moty campaign was ideal. he was taking smart shots.
The problem was not so much that he was relied on to be option 2, it's that woody validated his desire to be a starter (not a 6th man) gave him the greenest light the world has seen since Snoop lion/dog got hit with lightening and he never settled back into the 6th man role.

We actually have a fantastic 6th man on our bench right now. Hardaway jr will be a perfect 6th man, I think he can still reach swaggy P potential.

This means going into next season we have:;
?/?
?/Jason Smith :wink:
Melo/early/Thanasis
?/Hardaway
Calderon/Galloway

as we sit presently.
we will see what we can get with the 30M, hopefully fill 1 hole with a rookie (Okafor) and another with a defensive role player with range (Amir Johnson) or the Asik/Towns combo. We then have space left to retain Amare, and whoever from our current regime. We also will have enough space to add a 2-way shooting guard. Afflalo is the hot name, but wes, Green, Shumpert, will do.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#2474 » by frothbrain » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:22 am

Retain Amare?
Why? Injury prone. Turnovers. Poor defender.
There's a reason why Jason Smith and Lou Amundson are starting over him.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,182

Post#2475 » by aq_ua » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 am

Mr Loggins wrote:Former Knicks Mozgov and Smith gonna turn around he Cavs' season

Former T-wolves Love would have to drive the turnaround if there is going to be one.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,096

Post#2476 » by moocow007 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:49 pm

j4remi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
What narrative? That JR Smith is the not the Anti-Christ narrative?

You mean, the Knicks are better off without JR long term narrative.

moocow007 wrote: Just like Stephon Marbury wasn't the Anti-Christ narrative? That's the narrative I'm after. I mean how many times are we going to do this as fans? Focus blame on someone, chirp to no end that if we shed that anti-Christ that things will turn but it doesn't? Guys we like we protect to no end. Guys we hate we demonize to no end? When does this silly little tit for tat end? Never? 2085?

I don't think I've seen a single fan pin all of our troubles on JR. But a lot of people recognized that JR was actively struggling with the system, that historically he's been disruptive and that he had no short term value to a team looking to reset. Steph got a raw deal and deserved a shot in D'antoni's offense, but again...After he got into an altercation with the team president on a plane, my sympathy for his situation was gone. And while we're on better off without him, moving Tyson Chandler was the right move too...and Woodson. None of them are the anti-christ, but none of them were beneficial to this team long term and they all behaved in ways deserving of criticism. JR more than anyone.

moocow007 wrote:George Karl himself said that JR Smith is an important weapon to the Nuggets success due to what he can do on the floor BUT is someone that you have to know how to use...much like a gun. Karl has said explicitly that Smith most definitely can contribute to success. Does that mean that George Karl liked him as a person? NOOOOOOO. Did JR Smith suddenly start doing stupid things after he got to NY? NOOOOOO again. So...ONCE AGAIN...JR Smith has been this anti-Christ character fans want to paint him as BEFORE NY. Ergo my quip about finding God. Nothing has changed. He was a successful weapon that helped the Nuggets win when he was in Denver because Karl knew how to utilize him. He could have been that in NY. Didn't happen. Can he be that in Cleveland? Sure looks like it, don't it? The league is not full of boy scouts. The other team doesn't always have the better players. Grass isn't always greener.

Well the Knicks used him well enough for the best season of his career and all was forgiven from most...he blew that. So even when utilized in the best, most productive possible way, he imploded and was a detriment to the team. Even Karl didn't really have him figured out, his production was, is and always will be inconsistent (and that's when damn near everything else is uniform, minutes and system included). In fact, his production for the Knicks pre-trade isn't far off from his production in his final season at Denver. He's just not that good despite having all the ability to be great. And bringing up Cleveland after 7 games isn't proving much. For one, it's 7 games and for two, he's put up his typical production when you average it out. He is what he is.

moocow007 wrote:Honestly, how many people were hoping he fail in Cleveland so they can say they were right? How many people are furious right now that he's doing well? I mean think about it. Don't have to admit it...just think about it. And then maybe we can focus on which side actually is worse...JR Smith or his detractors who push for supposedly doing and thinking and saying the right things?

Hoping he'll fail or just expecting him to do something dumb and disruptive like the pattern his career has followed all along. If the Cavs can keep him behaved through the playoffs, they'll have lucked out and it won't have to do with good management. He had issues everywhere.

The hyperbole of "anti-christ" is useless, no one's saying that and the few people that push that much hate don't need to be bothered with because nobody's gonna change their mind. Acknowledge the real arguments against him...inconsistency, character issues (and no, this isn't a boy scout's league but it's also not a place where a 14 ppg, weak at everything else, unable to listen to coaches, partying during a playoff stint player gets a pass shooting 42% from the field), and an inability to grasp the system he was in.

moocow007 wrote:Who is comparing him to Stoudemire? Not me. I'm simply saying that using Stoudemire as an example of the scapegoat that folks keep wanting to find to justify something that is wrong.

Yeah, I get it, and it's a weak juxtaposition if you don't like the semantics. Stoudemire is disliked because of injuries more than anything else and that is out of his control. JR gets hate because of his behavior, no mitigating circumstances, he did a collection of stupid things that caused a large contingent of Knicks fans to give up on him in spite of his talent. Plus if you really want to ride that juxtaposition, would you really argue that this team is better off with either of those guys? I vehemently disagree

moocow007 wrote: JR Smith was a basketball player, just like Stoudemire. Smith produced extremely well at one point with the Knicks, just like Stoudemire. Smith ended his tenure in NY poorly, just like Stoudemire? Who the **** cares about personality if the result was the same? Would you rather a boy scout that can't do **** or a bad person that helps you win if utilized correctly?

Better questions,
Can you replace 14 ppg and not much else with a player who has more character? Yes
Is it worth that 14 ppg to have a guy on the team who has a history of being disruptive? Nope
Would I take a boy scout who will give me 14 ppg consistently rather than a bad person who gives me 20 points one night, 8 points the next? Yes, but I grant that it's debatable.

And just to conclude...there's always gonna be a whipping boy for fan bases. Landry Fields continued to be a whipping boy in Toronto, JR was in Denver and there's guys like Beasley who always get that hate. It's the nature of the fans, if they don't hate the players and the team is doing bad, it's the coach and if not him, then it's the damned owner. This gets especially bad when a guy doesn't seem to care about his team and if nothing else, JR gave a serious impression that he didn't give a damn (shoe laces, elbows, partying, pipe, etc).

You still going to love me after this right?
Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

Post#2477 » by Zooropa » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:49 pm

Have we seen the last of Kobe? I doubt it, but its a scary possibility right now.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#2478 » by Phish Tank » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Zooropa wrote:Have we seen the last of Kobe? I doubt it, but its a scary possibility right now.

sadly he's done now. First the achilles, then a meniscus, and now a rotator cuff?

If only we traded JR to the Lakers bwahahahaha
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,404

Post#2479 » by god shammgod » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:54 pm

kobe recently talked about retiring being a possibility. sad but nobody lasts forever.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,575

Post#2480 » by Lord Commander » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:59 pm

The old equalizer (age) strike again.

Return to New York Knicks