ImageImageImageImageImage

Grantland: Decline of Basketball in NYC

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,249

Re: Grantland: Decline of Basketball in NYC 

Post#21 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:53 am

NYC is now a playground for the rich. I grew up there in the 80's and 90's before they totally transformed the city. I went to/played for Bayside and I used to hate playing at schools like Newtown, Beach Channel or August Martin. Small gyms, not regulation. You go to Indiana and they have these huge arenas for high schools.

In many ways, it's a shock NYC stayed on top for as long as it did.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
sortpar
Sixth Man
And1: 792

Post#22 » by sortpar » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:26 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
XerXeZ57 wrote:The problem is weather and access to quality basketball courts for our youth.

If we take the logic that low-income neighborhoods are the top breeding grounds for basketball talent, then it should be known that these young kids practice outdoors in their local park. But due to the fact that New York's weather is horrible and we endure 5-6 months of winter every year, these bad weather conditions contribute as a deterrent to young low-income kids to play basketball during these months.

At the same time, players from other parts of the country who have more favorable weather conditions all year around gain a leg up. Let us not even mention the fact that the access to quality indoor basketball courts is a lot easier in the suburbs or in a city that most people have access to a car.

Also, when the article writes about Brampton, Ontario as being a better breeding ground for top 5 NBA draft talent, my only response is even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days as well.

Brampton produces NBA talent. Toronto does not. Toronto has 2.6 million people. Brampton has 500,000. Brampton has space and cheap access to good rec centres. Toronto has no space and a budget stretched to the breaking point. It's the same in every city centre. The athletes migrate to the suburbs.

I would be interested as to your source of information regarding space & budget issues for the city of Toronto.
Call Saul
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#23 » by Call Saul » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:35 pm

brigadierjerry wrote:This article sounds like it should be applied to hiphop in NY as well

Sent from my PantechP9060

Mainstream hip hop is weak though. On the battle seen NY is still holding it down.
DNA, and Hollow da Don reppin. Queenz!
Call Saul
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#24 » by Call Saul » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:NYC is now a playground for the rich. I grew up there in the 80's and 90's before they totally transformed the city. I went to/played for Bayside and I used to hate playing at schools like Newtown, Beach Channel or August Martin. Small gyms, not regulation. You go to Indiana and they have these huge arenas for high schools.

In many ways, it's a shock NYC stayed on top for as long as it did.

Yeah you got me thinking of " he got game" when Shuttlesworth goes to" Tech U" and you see that gym. lol!
A lot of native new yorkers left and relocated down south because new york left them, ( high prices for housing, no income tax, better quality of life....) St. johns used to be a power house and things declined and that's why I respect Melo. He went to cuse to do it NY and plays for the Knicks cause he ain't shook like some of his peers.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#25 » by Meat » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:41 pm

XerXeZ57 wrote:The problem is weather and access to quality basketball courts for our youth.

If we take the logic that low-income neighborhoods are the top breeding grounds for basketball talent, then it should be known that these young kids practice outdoors in their local park. But due to the fact that New York's weather is horrible and we endure 5-6 months of winter every year, these bad weather conditions contribute as a deterrent to young low-income kids to play basketball during these months.

At the same time, players from other parts of the country who have more favorable weather conditions all year around gain a leg up. Let us not even mention the fact that the access to quality indoor basketball courts is a lot easier in the suburbs or in a city that most people have access to a car.

Also, when the article writes about Brampton, Ontario as being a better breeding ground for top 5 NBA draft talent, my only response is even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days as well.

this is pretty much spot on. basketball is a sport that requires 1 thing a ball, it's a common man's game. same with football. how many kids in ny played basketball with a ball and a crate nailed to a lamp post. as the city gentrifies and the overall wealth does this becomes less and less prevalent. kids in ny just have a lot more options now when it comes to recreational sports
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,637

Post#26 » by prophet_of_rage » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:44 pm

sortpar wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

Brampton produces NBA talent. Toronto does not. Toronto has 2.6 million people. Brampton has 500,000. Brampton has space and cheap access to good rec centres. Toronto has no space and a budget stretched to the breaking point. It's the same in every city centre. The athletes migrate to the suburbs.

I would be interested as to your source of information regarding space & budget issues for the city of Toronto.

I live and coach in Toronto. It is stuff I have to deal with all the time.Permits are rare and expensive for poor facilities whereas in Brampton they are relatively cheaper, much more modern and far more accessible. In Toronto you're a s likely to find a pilates class being held on a basketball court as not.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#27 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:19 am

Weather is a factor but I don't think it's the main one. Chicago for instance has a worse version of NYC weather and they seem to be producing a lot more players these days.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#28 » by j4remi » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Just replying to this to make sure I can find it later and read the article, edit in thoughts when I get the chance.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#29 » by blueNorange » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:57 am

ny basketball players are notorious for being overhyped and disappointing
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks