ImageImageImageImageImage

Did Phil Jackson fool fans or did the fans fool themselves?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Re: Did Phil Jackson fool fans or did the fans fool themselv 

Post#81 » by Kenyon009 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:35 am

R-DAWG wrote:I mean this is basically the same roster as last year with the exception of the 2nd best player and defensive anchor being traded away and the upgrade from Felton to Calderon isn't enough to offset that.

IDK what anyone really expected, but there are 3, maybe 5 players that will be here next year (Carmelo, Calderon and Hardaway for sure, possibility of Shumpert and maybe Amare on a min contract). The roster still lacks 2 way players, a 2nd scorer, still has JR Smith.

JR can still easily be sold off as a sixth man to another team. We should be using his value to get rid of Bargnani. Bargnani is a big thing holding this team back, the guy is dead weight. Having Bargnani, Amare, and Calderon on the same team is asking for a disaster. The focus now should be to build a culture and a reputation as a hard playing team. That's why I support playing hard working players like Acy over Bargnani. I would try to use the valued players to get rid of the dead weight. Only then can you start from absolutely zero (plus Melo ofc :) ).

The best thing to do this season is to sell the veterans to get rid of bad contracts. Get high intensity players to help build a league wide rep as a team that fights. Then draft a second option for Melo and the future. Then look to FA to add to the culture and add more talent. That should be the outline Jackson should be trying to follow. We need to sell now to build culture and then worry about attaining and managing talent after the draft.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,047

Post#82 » by GONYK » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:42 am

Kenyon009 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:I mean this is basically the same roster as last year with the exception of the 2nd best player and defensive anchor being traded away and the upgrade from Felton to Calderon isn't enough to offset that.

IDK what anyone really expected, but there are 3, maybe 5 players that will be here next year (Carmelo, Calderon and Hardaway for sure, possibility of Shumpert and maybe Amare on a min contract). The roster still lacks 2 way players, a 2nd scorer, still has JR Smith.

JR can still easily be sold off as a sixth man to another team. We should be using his value to get rid of Bargnani. Bargnani is a big thing holding this team back, the guy is dead weight. Having Bargnani, Amare, and Calderon on the same team is asking for a disaster. The focus now should be to build a culture and a reputation as a hard playing team. That's why I support playing hard working players like Acy over Bargnani. I would try to use the valued players to get rid of the dead weight. Only then can you start from absolutely zero (plus Melo ofc :) ).

The best thing to do this season is to sell the veterans to get rid of bad contracts. Get high intensity players to help build a league wide rep as a team that fights. Then draft a second option for Melo and the future. Then look to FA to add to the culture and add more talent. That should be the outline Jackson should be trying to follow. We need to sell now to build culture and then worry about attaining and managing talent after the draft.

How is Bargnani hurting the team? He hasn't played a game.

And why should we use assets to get rid of expiring contracts?
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#83 » by kane » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:52 am

Only people that got fooled are fools :lol:
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#84 » by R-DAWG » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:13 am

Kenyon009 wrote:

While I agree that JR can be a solid bench player on a winning team, I don't think he has enough value to clear a contract. Having said that, there is no value in moving Barganani's contract. Just let him expire.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#85 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:43 am

No picks no cap space and no players on long term deals anybody would want.

Don't let that beard fool you. He isn't turning water into wine. But he can go through the process to produce the wine instead of paying $500 for a bottle of $10 reisling.

The real judgment on PJax should come going into the 16-17 season
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#86 » by fresko024 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Pharmcat wrote:jackson has failed the team this year...couldnt get a 2nd star, build a good bench, unload amare/bargs

he got SMOKED in the chandler trade, got no replacement C and got a player who takes up crucial cap space in 2015.

hired a coach in fisher who is way out of his league in the NBA

outside of keeping melo with his sweet talk, jackson has done nothing to improve the team

Are you serious? How would we get a second star being so far over the cap? As far as building a good bench, Smith was a decent signing and getting Acy in that trade was a good move as well. It was a swap of Tyler for Acy who I think is a better fit and we got rid of Ellington who wouldn't get playing time anyway.

As for the Chandler trade, we traded Chandler and Felton for Dalembert, Calderon, Ellington, and 2 second round picks. We did downgrade at C but Calderon is an upgrade over Felton. He is a better decision maker and shooter.
Also, we acquired 2 picks in a deep draft where we had zero, all the while saving money and acquiring a TPE. Calderon is more expensive than Felton but their contracts were for the same amount of years and Calderon is actually an asset believe it or not.
Romans 8:1-4

Return to New York Knicks