ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: St. John's Basketball

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

OT: St. John's Basketball 

Post#1 » by kerry kittles » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Anyone here a fan? I guess you can call me a bandwagon fan, but I've watched the tail end of the Gonzaga game and most of the Cuse game and they're a team playing well and really playing hard.

-Currently ranked for the first time in nearly 4 years
-First time they won in the Carrier Dome in nearly 15 years

With the terrible basketball being played professionally in this city it is nice to see a team playing well. Hopefully they can keep this up.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Re: OT: St. John's Basketball 

Post#2 » by j4remi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:32 pm

They've been fun to watch. I remember watching Ron Artest play for SJU with my dad, that was my intro to really appreciating college ball. I'm HYPE to see them doing this well, it used to be fairly expected that they would be a good team but for like a decade these good seasons have been a real prize.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#3 » by N8isScofield » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm a somewhat proud alumnus (should have gone to NYU but hindsight is 20/20) but I don't really follow the team closely anymore. I'm happy when they do well but I haven't sat through a whole game since I left school. I was excited a few years ago when we got all of those top level recruits but that kind of dissipated once they were all ineligible.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#4 » by poeman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Big time alum from SJU...I have a ton of history, I got on the court at MSG during a game vs Syracuse in the 2nd half timeout and won a EcKo sponsored contest against someone else.
(Made 2 layups, free throw, 3-pointer in 30 seconds)

One of the greatest moments I've had, I made the 3 pointer at the buzzer and 18,000 people cheered for me.

I won some $400 Ecko watch that was too blinged out...Its my trophy watch. I've also stormed the MSG court two or three times after game winners against ranked teams

I went to SJU after Marcus Hatten beat Duke in 2003 at the buzzer, I wanted to be a campus school and have great sports tradition...I ended up going during the worst 4 years of St John's history (scandals, maligned coach, campus under renovation) All felt like crap.

Finally campus looks good after I leave (I see where my money went) and now they finally win in Syracuse and are ranked...Can they keep it up?

Big East is weak as hell
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#5 » by 2010 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Just check the logos next to my avy!

Sir'Dominic Pointer is the heart & soul of that team. If he had a jumper he'd be an NBA prospect

D'Angelo Harrison has went from a volatile personality who had to be suspended to a leader

Phil Green IV has turned himself into a clutch shooter

Obekpa is one of the best shotblockers in the country...and he wears Bill Russell short shorts

Rysheed Jordan is a 6'4" NBA PG prospect but he needs to reduce turnovers drastically

Branch is a solid backup PG and a glue guy off the bench

Myles Stewart is the unusual walkon who has mid-major talent and a great 3pt shot!

Christian Jones is the lone eligible backup big behind Obekpa. He'll gain Lavin's trust in time

De La Rosa is a 7ft wide body who will provide good backup C mins if the NCAA ever clears him

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#6 » by knickabocker88 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:06 pm

The thing about College Ball is you can run a 7 player rotation, they're 7 deep thats it ... If they get into foul trouble they're toast (ie the Gonzaga loss). Play to much Zone for my liking but they got a few games coming up against teams that can really shoot the 3, so they'll have to get their guard up.

I'll tell you this the 7 players they have are good.

It's gonna be tough, the Big East is the best Basketball Conference in the Country

- Harrison has matured alot, doesn't force things unless the shot clock is running down.

- Obekpa will turn into a Ibaka type in the NBA, FT's and Catching/finishing will improve as he plays more.

- Jordan's game needs some fine tuning, I think it's good that he's coming off the bench ... He'll get better as the season progresses.

- If Phil Greene keeps shooting the 3 ball this way they won't lose many games.

- Dom Pointer is tenacious, his Bball IQ has improved from last year.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#7 » by kerry kittles » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:23 am

j4remi wrote:They've been fun to watch. I remember watching Ron Artest play for SJU with my dad, that was my intro to really appreciating college ball. I'm HYPE to see them doing this well, it used to be fairly expected that they would be a good team but for like a decade these good seasons have been a real prize.

Yes, I agree. They've been fun to watch and those are my exact same earliest moments too watching Ron Artest with my dad whose a St. John's alum. Hoping they keep it up.
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#8 » by Daaaarryyl » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:02 am

j4remi wrote:They've been fun to watch. I remember watching Ron Artest play for SJU with my dad, that was my intro to really appreciating college ball. I'm HYPE to see them doing this well, it used to be fairly expected that they would be a good team but for like a decade these good seasons have been a real prize.

Barkley, Bootsy, Postell, Artest and my man T-Grant in the pivot. Really fun team that went to the Elite 8.

Frischella's recruits being coached by Jarvis seemed to be a perfect fit as FF could recruit his @ss off but was a blah coach and MJ could coach but seemed to dislike the recruitment process immensely.

I'm a fan but have really not followed them much the past few years.

2010 wrote:Just check the logos next to my avy!

Sir'Dominic Pointer is the heart & soul of that team. If he had a jumper he'd be an NBA prospect

D'Angelo Harrison has went from a volatile personality who had to be suspended to a leader

Phil Green IV has turned himself into a clutch shooter

Obekpa is one of the best shotblockers in the country...and he wears Bill Russell short shorts

Rysheed Jordan is a 6'4" NBA PG prospect but he needs to reduce turnovers drastically

Branch is a solid backup PG and a glue guy off the bench

Myles Stewart is the unusual walkon who has mid-major talent and a great 3pt shot!

Christian Jones is the lone eligible backup big behind Obekpa. He'll gain Lavin's trust in time

De La Rosa is a 7ft wide body who will provide good backup C mins if the NCAA ever clears him

Yeah, I'm gonna start watching them again!
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,966

Post#9 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:16 am

They been a fun team to watch thus far this year, especially because it's an older team. Watching these guys grow together has been a rare treat, it really makes me wonder what could've been if we were able to land Pelle granted he looked like a one and done guy.

We got Villanova and Duke at home next month, I'm going to try and get to both of these games.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#10 » by poeman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 am

Oh is Duke heading to MSG again? They took a break from SJU games I know
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,966

Post#11 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:44 am

poeman wrote:Oh is Duke heading to MSG again? They took a break from SJU games I know

Sunday January 25th.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#12 » by aq_ua » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:50 am

Felipe Lopez was the man.
MKCATL
Starter
And1: 707

Post#13 » by MKCATL » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:52 am

aq_ua wrote:Felipe Lopez was the man.

Lopez, Zendon Hamilton, what could have been. I was happy to see them make the tourney their last year.
"I am by no means an expert in basketball." -James Dolan
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#14 » by aq_ua » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:59 am

MKCATL wrote:
aq_ua wrote:Felipe Lopez was the man.

Lopez, Zendon Hamilton, what could have been. I was happy to see them make the tourney their last year.

Peak years of New York basketball overall. "Zendon it down!!"
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 697

Post#15 » by Clincher » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:32 am

Not many teams will run the Johnnies out of the gym(St Johns fan) but they are a very frustrating team. They can turn it up at any few posessions where they look unstoppable but then they have moments where they compound mistake after mistake whether it be a poor turnover by Jordan or a silly forced shot by Harrison and some unforced errors.

They are a really fun team but they don't always make the smartest decisions, its really frustrating to watch. Add Lavin has some serious game managing questions and this is a team that will annoy you all season long, like last season. Just gotta hope the desperation of the seniors(Harrison/Greene/Pointer) is enough to knock off the silly mistakes and get this team in the tourney because they will not be an easy matchup for a lot of teams, especially if Greene and Harrison can get their outside shot off if teams apply the zone.
HixNixKnicksTix
Veteran
And1: 680

Post#16 » by HixNixKnicksTix » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:50 am

definitely pulling for SJU. Syracuse first,but SJU is a close second.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,959

Post#17 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:31 pm

hoping for a resurgent season
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#18 » by JN » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:52 am

knickabocker88 wrote:It's gonna be tough, the Big East is the best Basketball Conference in the Country

I have a soft spot for the original BE teams that are still in the BE conference. Don't even hate Georgetown despite being an SU fan. Only team I hate is UConn who is in a tanking AAC.

The Big East has done a nice job of regrouping and is positioning itself well for 5 bids on Selection Sunday via their OOC play, but the Big 12 is clearly the top conference top to bottom.

Ken Pom Rankings

Big 12 - 6 of top 20 are Big 12, Big East only has 1

The Big East does have 4 in the 20-30 range. 5 top 30 is really good. Big 12 has 7 (both are 10 team leagues)

But it's nice to see Nova, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Providence all playing better then they were 3-5 years ago.
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#19 » by 2010 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:16 pm

If Rysheed Jordan declares he'll be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

Trust me, this kid will be a better pro than a college player. He's 6'4", athletic, great court vision, good passer, crafty around the rim, and great defensive potential as a PG.

24 PTS, 9-12 FG, 3-5 3PT, 2 REBS, 2 ASTS today against Fordham.

If I'm Phil Jackson I'd do everything in my power to try to buy or trade for a late 1st/early 2nd and nab this kid. He's the perfect long term lead guard solution with size and excellent passing for the triangle.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#20 » by sweetcity » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:34 am

St John's fan from Toronto. Loved the team with Artest, Bootsy Thornton, Postell. Still remember the Ohio St game when Scoonie Penn and Micheal Redd knocked them out

Return to New York Knicks