ImageImageImageImageImage

NYPOST: Melo now willing to waive no-trade clause

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,020

Re: NYPOST: Melo now willing to waive no-trade clause 

Post#561 » by GONYK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:15 am

Sark wrote:
GONYK wrote:
theman wrote:I am not sure how people can compare the Melo of today to the one five years younger.

Mainly because his value to us really hasn't changed. If the asset has depreciated as much as you claim on the open market, then it makes more sense to keep him than to lose even more on him.

Sometimes it's just better to cut your losses before they get worse. Melo eating up $24+ million every year is going to limit the type of moves we can make. On top of that, having him here might deter other players from wanting to come.

Based on how many stars lined up to recruit Melo, I doubt that.

Even Tyson recruited Melo, and people on this board think that they are mortal enemies now.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#562 » by GYK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:17 am

GONYK wrote:
Sark wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Mainly because his value to us really hasn't changed. If the asset has depreciated as much as you claim on the open market, then it makes more sense to keep him than to lose even more on him.

Sometimes it's just better to cut your losses before they get worse. Melo eating up $24+ million every year is going to limit the type of moves we can make. On top of that, having him here might deter other players from wanting to come.

So true. Will make Billboards with you in our jersey but no one wants to play with him.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,572

Post#563 » by Meat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:36 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Randle's PER is -7. wtf did you watch?

Pre-season. Look at the highlights, he's got mad potential, he's got everything and he can do it all.
Mr_Perfect wrote:Randle has better value?

An injured rookie who has played half an NBA game has more value than a guy who has proven to be a premiere scorer in the league the past decade. Okay.

That's the problem. Melo is a good scorer but has never won. He is paid a lot and is on the down side of his career. The contract is the main thing, especially with the trade kicker, add to the fact that he's injured, losing and disgruntled. If it's true that he doesn't want to play in the triangle, he'd be kinda a headcase. Randle OTOH will be on a very small contract compared to Melo's for a long time, he's got potential and apparently a good head. Trading Randle would sabotage their future, he's perfect for a rebuilding team.

On the side note, for those who say Lin's a just useless filler, he played great in the first half against SAS, he just needs some time, he'll be a productive NBA player for sure if given the time to develop and opportunity to thrive.

*EDIT: Here you go:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyO4tJ83BII[/youtube]

any more videos of him dominating d-league talent? that's the stuff we wanna see
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#564 » by Sark » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:51 am

GONYK wrote:
Sark wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Even Tyson recruited Melo, and people on this board think that they are mortal enemies now.

I guess we'll see when free agency starts. We'll have tons of cap space. No excuses to not land someone good.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#565 » by GONYK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:55 am

Sark wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Sark wrote:

I guess we'll see when free agency starts. We'll have tons of cap space. No excuses to not land someone good.

Depends on who you consider good. There are plenty of reasons for LMA and Marc not to sign here, mainly that they play on better teams who can offer more money.

After that, we'll see
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,788

Post#566 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:46 am

knicks94 wrote:When all is said and done Carmelo Anthony will be winning titles with the Bulls.

That ship has sailed.
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Post#567 » by kingquan316 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:53 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
knicks94 wrote:When all is said and done Carmelo Anthony will be winning titles with the Bulls.

That ship has sailed.

He will win them when the poster trades Melo to the Bulls on Nba 2k15.
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Post#568 » by Kenyon009 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:01 am

Trading him be the best option for the Knicks. The team is in bad condition and he's in his prime. They would be better off selling him for a lot of picks and prospects. As a Raptors fan that follows the Knicks as well I would be open to trading DeMar DeRozan for Anthony. The Raptors need to win now with Lowry and their core with a weak East they are primed to contend with Melo. I would offer Amir Johnson, DeRozan, Fields, Nogueira, 2015 pick, and the Knicks 2016 pick for Melo and Dalembert. This would help the team tank this year while having a lot of good players, Johnson gives the Knicks a good defensive big man that can be played at C with Amare. Then you have a young all star in DeRozan on a cheap contract and a couple of picks that can add depth.

Johnson/Nogueira
Amare
DeRozan
Shumpert
Calderon

That line up can all shoot and if Calderon can be traded for a defensive oriented guard that would make for a much better team. However I'd leave it as is for tanking purpose and possibly add J. Okafor to put next to Johnson. Then there's a lot of cap room in the off-season due to DeRozan's cheap contract, Johnson's expiring, and Nogueira's rookie contract, plus the picks.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,426

Post#569 » by duetta » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:15 am

As much as I would love to move Anthony, this is not the time. I just hope he can stay healthy long enough for him to ask for a trade later, with the Knicks bringing back something close to fair value. But I'm not optimistic that he's going to stay healthy.

The real catastrophe would be Anthony getting hurt in this abortion of a season - and then becoming untradable later.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#570 » by DowNY » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:18 am

This whole thing reminds me of Paul Pierce situation with the Celtics the season right before they got KG & Ray Allen.
Kenyon009
Banned User

Post#571 » by Kenyon009 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:12 am

duetta wrote:As much as I would love to move Anthony, this is not the time. I just hope he can stay healthy long enough for him to ask for a trade later, with the Knicks bringing back something close to fair value. But I'm not optimistic that he's going to stay healthy.

The real catastrophe would be Anthony getting hurt in this abortion of a season - and then becoming untradable later.

He's 30 years old he has maybe 2-3 years left before he's done. I would sell him now before he gets older and either declines or he develops nagging injuries. This team should tank hard and trade him for young prospects and picks.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#572 » by GONYK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:16 am

Kenyon009 wrote:
duetta wrote:As much as I would love to move Anthony, this is not the time. I just hope he can stay healthy long enough for him to ask for a trade later, with the Knicks bringing back something close to fair value. But I'm not optimistic that he's going to stay healthy.

He's 30 years old he has maybe 2-3 years left before he's done. I would sell him now before he gets older and either declines or he develops nagging injuries. This team should tank hard and trade him for young prospects and picks.

He has a No Trade Clause and a $17.5 mil trade kicker.

We can't just unload him for youth and picks.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#573 » by Wonderllama » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:46 am

DowNY wrote:This whole thing reminds me of Paul Pierce situation with the Celtics the season right before they got KG & Ray Allen.

So... the Knicks will trade their first round pick and immediately become a title contender?!
Meat
Head Coach

Post#574 » by Meat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:23 am

Kenyon009 wrote:

where do you get 2-3 years from? paul pierce was a way weaker version of melo averaging 18ppg at 35. with nba quality starters around him he won't have to play 40mpg and get run down.
Kenyon009
Banned User

Post#575 » by Kenyon009 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:08 am

Meat wrote:
Kenyon009 wrote:

where do you get 2-3 years from? paul pierce was a way weaker version of melo averaging 18ppg at 35. with nba quality starters around him he won't have to play 40mpg and get run down.

Pierce was also playing KG, Rondo, and Allen. I also wouldn't want to be paying the max for a 20ppg scorer lol. Melo is also a pretty inefficient scorer now and with a slower body I wonder how much worse it could get.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#576 » by GONYK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:07 am

Kenyon009 wrote:
Meat wrote:
Kenyon009 wrote:He's 30 years old he has maybe 2-3 years left before he's done. I would sell him now before he gets older and either declines or he develops nagging injuries. This team should tank hard and trade him for young prospects and picks.

Pierce was also playing KG, Rondo, and Allen. I also wouldn't want to be paying the max for a 20ppg scorer lol. Melo is also a pretty inefficient scorer now and with a slower body I wonder how much worse it could get.

Melo is slower than Pierce?
Kenyon009
Banned User

Post#577 » by Kenyon009 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:55 am

GONYK wrote:
Kenyon009 wrote:
Meat wrote:where do you get 2-3 years from? paul pierce was a way weaker version of melo averaging 18ppg at 35. with nba quality starters around him he won't have to play 40mpg and get run down.

When he gets old he will become less athletic and thus he will be slower. Aging will make him worse or at least that should be thought of as something that might happen. As a team that's close to rock bottom building a contender takes 3-4 years especially if it's being built from that level the Knicks are at now.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#578 » by GONYK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:58 am

Kenyon009 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Kenyon009 wrote:Pierce was also playing KG, Rondo, and Allen. I also wouldn't want to be paying the max for a 20ppg scorer lol. Melo is also a pretty inefficient scorer now and with a slower body I wonder how much worse it could get.

When he gets old he will become less athletic and thus he will be slower. Aging will make him worse or at least that should be thought of as something that might happen. As a team that's close to rock bottom building a contender takes 3-4 years especially if it's being built from that level the Knicks are at now.

Prime Pierce was still slower than current Melo.

If Melo doesn't match Pierce's production, it won't be due to speed.
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Post#579 » by kingquan316 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:13 am

Kenyon009 wrote:
Meat wrote:
Kenyon009 wrote:He's 30 years old he has maybe 2-3 years left before he's done. I would sell him now before he gets older and either declines or he develops nagging injuries. This team should tank hard and trade him for young prospects and picks.

His contract won't be considered max in 2016 when the cap increases.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#580 » by Meat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:06 am

Kenyon009 wrote:
Meat wrote:

inefficient? do you have a single stat to back this up? because his points per possession rate last year was well over 1.0 which is very efficient

Return to New York Knicks