ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Mayweather says he wants THE fight...will it happen?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

And if it does happen, who wins?

Pacman
40%
Money Mayweather
24%
Boxing Fans
12%
Justin Bieber
24%

Total votes: 58

Signature NYK
Sixth Man
And1: 554

Re: OT: Mayweather says he wants THE fight...will it happen? 

Post#21 » by Signature NYK » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:55 pm

No pacs footwork isn't good. His athleticism allows him to step out. He is often of balance and leaning or lunging in and it can create problems for him, see the Marquez KO.

No boxing instructor would tell you to step in and out like pac he is capable of what he does due to his god given leg strength and talent. It's not sound footwork
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#22 » by kane2021 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:58 pm

KnickswiththeKnack wrote:
kane2021 wrote:But Manny was juicing. The first clue wasnt even manny it was roach. And it got a to a point where it was really obvious.

I agree with the rest of your post. And I definitely don't want this to turn into what all of these sort of topics do, but I'm genuinely curious what makes you say he was juicing.

I'm not saying I think he was or wasn't, I don't know. But I also don't know if Floyd was or wasn't. Or anyone for that matter really. I'm just curious what leads you to believe Pac was.

After awhile you can spot them from a mile away. They all have the same build. Some guys get a little too carried away with it.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#23 » by N8isScofield » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Signature NYK wrote:No pacs footwork isn't good. His athleticism allows him to step out. He is often of balance and leaning or lunging in and it can create problems for him, see the Marquez KO.

No boxing instructor would tell you to step in and out like pac he is capable of what he does due to his god given leg strength and talent. It's not sound footwork

Emmanuel Steward disagrees with you.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,885

Post#24 » by Tacoma » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:00 pm

kane2021 wrote:
kane2021 wrote:But Manny was juicing. The first clue wasnt even manny it was roach. And it got a to a point where it was really obvious.

I agree with the rest of your post. And I definitely don't want this to turn into what all of these sort of topics do, but I'm genuinely curious what makes you say he was juicing.

I'm not saying I think he was or wasn't, I don't know. But I also don't know if Floyd was or wasn't. Or anyone for that matter really. I'm just curious what leads you to believe Pac was.

After awhile you can spot them from a mile away. They all have the same build. Some guys get a little too carried away with it.

Good thing drug testing is not based on spotting them from a mile away.

The old Shakespearean saying "doth protest too much" comes to mind for Mayweather. The shady boxing world is about as clean as mud, so who's to say who's clean and who's not. For example, this article from maxboxing.com about PED is quite insightful.

Obviously you've taken Mayweather's side or at least succumbed to his rhetoric. I think the real truth likely is all of the top boxers are juiced in one way or another and only question is which juice he's taking.
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#25 » by Workforce250 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Every great boxer comes to a day of reckoning, where Father Time gives a calling card.
Since they are both in that age range, this can be THAT bout for either fighter.
This alone should make for an interesting view.
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#26 » by Workforce250 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:07 pm

N8isScofield wrote:
Signature NYK wrote:No pacs footwork isn't good. His athleticism allows him to step out. He is often of balance and leaning or lunging in and it can create problems for him, see the Marquez KO.

Angelo Dundee as well.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,788

Post#27 » by Stannis » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Free Palestine
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by N8isScofield » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Workforce250 wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:

Angelo Dundee as well.

Yeah and he knew a thing or two about it lol.
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#29 » by BKAY » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:29 pm

lol are people really voting for Pacquiao?
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#30 » by E-Balla » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:32 pm

N8isScofield wrote:
Signature NYK wrote:Floyd and it's never been an argument to me

His reach is 5 inches longer than manny, manny struggles with counter punchers floyds the best counter puncher in the game.

Ask any boxing trainer on how to fight a south paw (pac is a south paw although he is unorthodox) they tell you to use lead/ straight right hands to neutralize their movement and stop them from shifting around your view. Floyds best punch is his right hand lead.

Mandy's footwork is also abysmal which will keep him off balance when trying to attack the longer Floyd as he'll have to lean/dash in to connect

Floyd by either unanimous decision or late TKO he is to smart and too good for pac.

I hope it happens. Should've happened in 2010

Manny has very good footwork. Floyd's is better but Manny's is very very good. And the notion that Manny has trouble with counterpunches is false. He has trouble with one counterpuncher, Marquez. People want to point out Pacman's 2 losses, the loss to Bradley was a robbery and everyone knows it. The loss to Marquez was a moment of sheer stupidity from a fighter who was winning comfortably and got sloppy. Floyd doesn't have Marquez's power so it's not as much of an issue. Certainly Pacman doesn't have the power that he did and his speed is not quite as ungodly as it was but if this fight happens in May he will still comfortably be the quickest, most dangerous, most skilled opponent that Floyd has fought in a decade and he's aging just as Manny is. I'm not quite as confident as I was 5 years ago but I believe Pacman could pull out a win and while I acknowledge that Mayweather definitely could win too I certainly don't think it would be as one sided in his favor as others do.

Marquez fought Manny 4 times. Ended up 1-2-1. In the first fight Pacquiao looked way worse than Marquez. Ended up a tie even though he dropped Marquez 3 times in the first round. In the second fight Pac won by split decision but Marquez should've won pretty clearly to me (according to compubox he should've barely won). In the third fight I thought he won again but Manny took it again (it was closer this time. Possibly a draw). The 4th fight was the knockout. Marquez proved a great counterpuncher could beat Pac so idk why May couldn't.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#31 » by kane2021 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:40 pm

Tacoma wrote:
kane2021 wrote:

Good thing drug testing is not based on spotting them from a mile away.

The old Shakespearean saying "doth protest too much" comes to mind for Mayweather. The shady boxing world is about as clean as mud, so who's to say who's clean and who's not. For example, this article from maxboxing.com about PED is quite insightful.

Obviously you've taken Mayweather's side or at least succumbed to his rhetoric. I think the real truth likely is all of the top boxers are juiced in one way or another and only question is which juice he's taking.

I guess maybe I am taking his side although I dont really mean to. I not a fan of his although I respect what he has done and acknowledge him as one of the better athletes I have seen.

Floyd is not the only one that was suspicious of manny. In other sports, not everyone may be doing it, but almost everyone knows its going on. No one speaks up about it. Its kept on the low. Im sure some guys might have even turned rat on the low. And helped with investigations as "confidential informants".

I dont like stuff like that. So yeah I really do respect floyd for coming straight out with what was on his mind.

With that being said, at the same time I would respect floyd even more if he didnt bother with this fight. This is a fight that will happen for all the wrong reasons. And its going to be impossible to satisfy everyone. Amongst fans who will witness it, there will always be a "*" next to the fight. This is a fight Floyd probably wins, but will never get credit for. Because the truth is,... its too late. He's fighting a different fighter with the same name.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#32 » by frogfood » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Travis Knight wrote:Image

Clearly juicing heh. If Manny was juicing - which I wont completely count out - what was Marq on?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#33 » by Rich Rane » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:08 pm

kane2021 wrote:Floyd was the first one to really come straight out and say it. Call out a name, point his finger,.. and say that guy right there is cheating the system.

Hmm...no, he wasn't. Zab Judah had longed called out Shane Mosley for PEDs before any of this. When Judah pressured with random drug testing, Mosley's team, including Richard Schaefer, said it wasn't right to treat Mosley like a cheater and the fight never materialized.

So when of course Mayweather demanded it (out of really no proof whatsoever, aside from some A-side meth bull), Golden Boy pretty much said Nevada's drug testing was good enough for Mosley, but not Pacquiao. No one came out looking good in the five years since on either side. Pacquiao at first just for balking, the cold war between Golden Boy and Top Rank didn't help the sport, and (no matter who here believes it) the public has gotten on Mayweather's case saying that he's the one that ducked the fight even more as the years have went on (Take a look at that Foot Locker commercial and even his father, 50 Cent, and Stephen A. Smith getting on his nerves when they mentioned it or the comments he gets whenever he posts Pacquiao getting KOed by Marquez).

As for this and has been the same the last 5 years, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not getting my hopes up at all. Right now the same roadblocks are still there. I hardly believe HBO will let Pacquiao fight on Showtime or Al Haymon letting Mayweather give in just a little on money demands. I mean, has anyone seen what Haymon has had his fighters pass on this year? Arum is also still Pacquiao's promoter so I'm sure that will still anger Mayweather's team.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#34 » by blueNorange » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:09 pm

we wanted the fight when we cared 4 years ago

but Floyd was ducking him because he was scared
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by N8isScofield » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:09 pm

E-Balla wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:
Signature NYK wrote:Floyd and it's never been an argument to me

His reach is 5 inches longer than manny, manny struggles with counter punchers floyds the best counter puncher in the game.

Ask any boxing trainer on how to fight a south paw (pac is a south paw although he is unorthodox) they tell you to use lead/ straight right hands to neutralize their movement and stop them from shifting around your view. Floyds best punch is his right hand lead.

Mandy's footwork is also abysmal which will keep him off balance when trying to attack the longer Floyd as he'll have to lean/dash in to connect

Floyd by either unanimous decision or late TKO he is to smart and too good for pac.

I hope it happens. Should've happened in 2010

Manny has very good footwork. Floyd's is better but Manny's is very very good. And the notion that Manny has trouble with counterpunches is false. He has trouble with one counterpuncher, Marquez. People want to point out Pacman's 2 losses, the loss to Bradley was a robbery and everyone knows it. The loss to Marquez was a moment of sheer stupidity from a fighter who was winning comfortably and got sloppy. Floyd doesn't have Marquez's power so it's not as much of an issue. Certainly Pacman doesn't have the power that he did and his speed is not quite as ungodly as it was but if this fight happens in May he will still comfortably be the quickest, most dangerous, most skilled opponent that Floyd has fought in a decade and he's aging just as Manny is. I'm not quite as confident as I was 5 years ago but I believe Pacman could pull out a win and while I acknowledge that Mayweather definitely could win too I certainly don't think it would be as one sided in his favor as others do.

Marquez fought Manny 4 times. Ended up 1-2-1. In the first fight Pacquiao looked way worse than Marquez. Ended up a tie even though he dropped Marquez 3 times in the first round. In the second fight Pac won by split decision but Marquez should've won pretty clearly to me (according to compubox he should've barely won). In the third fight I thought he won again but Manny took it again (it was closer this time. Possibly a draw). The 4th fight was the knockout. Marquez proved a great counterpuncher could beat Pac so idk why May couldn't.

I watched all 4 fights. I know what happened. I also never said that Mayweather couldn't beat Pacquiao. I was merely pointing out that Marquez is the only counter puncher you can really point to Manny having trouble with and unlike Mayweather he is a counter puncher with legitimate KO power. A mistake like Manny made against Marquez(in a fight he was winning decisively to that point) probably doesn't end in a KO against the less powerful Mayweather.
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#36 » by BKAY » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:26 pm

KnickswiththeKnack wrote:I'm not saying I think he was or wasn't, I don't know. But I also don't know if Floyd was or wasn't. Or anyone for that matter really. I'm just curious what leads you to believe Pac was.

"I know he has a new strength coach and I don't get along with the guy, and one of the reasons why he doesn't work for me anymore is because I think he's a little shady, you know. He used to give Manny a drink every day before we worked out and I asked him, 'What's in that drink,' and he would never tell me. And I said, 'I need to know what's in that drink because, you know, you're giving it to my fighter and if something goes wrong, I'm gonna get the blame.' In my opinion, he's a little shady, so he's with that camp now and it doesn't surprise me that happened," stated world-class trainer Freddie Roach, who made explosive accussations about world-class Strength & Conditioning Coach Alex Ariza when recently asked about his opinion regarding the failed drug test of Brandon Rios following his unanimous decision loss to Manny Pacquiao. According to Roach, he wasn't surprised when he heard the news because, evidently, he also questioned some of the things Ariza did with his star pupil, 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao, over the course of the 4-plus years they worked together.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article15910.html

This kind of all boils down to one guy, Alex Ariza.Okay now here's the thing. Prior to Pacquiao's fight with Brandon Rios, Ariza worked for Pac for 5 years. There were always talks of Roach not liking him and tons of talk about Ariza being a PED guy. So this guy Ariza get on Rios team after being fired by Roach. but get this, after the fight vs. Pac, Rios FAILS a PED test. Hmmm got to wonder if Roach had some solid suspicions against this guy.

Arum blamed Alex Ariza, Rios' strength and conditioning coach, for the failed test.id
"Brandon had the genius, Ariza, trying to help him make weight," Arum said. "It is not the fighter's fault. It's the people who are conditioning him. He's following orders on what to eat and drink, so I don't blame him. Brandon's not a nutritionist. It's generally the conditioner's fault if the kid doesn't make weight. This is Ariza's fault.

"The fighter, in my experience, follows religiously what he is told to eat and drink. If he's being advised by people who consider themselves experts, but who really don't know s---, that's when you get in trouble."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10 ... y-pacquiao

Ariza was also hired by Marcos Maidana and quickly fired after he supposedly slipped Maidana in between rounds.
http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/6/18/58 ... alex-ariza

And now the plot thickens, Floyd Mayweather hired Alex Ariza just a few months before he agrees to a fight with Pac. But there are grumblings that he didnt bring him on to advise him on strength and conditioning but as blackmail against Pacquiao.

"The thing is this, some of the people that used to work with Manny Pacquiao are now working with me, so the best thing for Pacquiao to do is be quiet before he really gets exposed and I tell some things that he don't want me to tell," stated Floyd Mayweather Jr. "One thing that I really want to say while I'm on this phone, a lot of things that I talked about in the past, I was 100% right. I'm going to say that. A lot of the things I talked about in the past, I was 100% right." - See more at: http://www.fightsaga.com/news/item/4821 ... X1zJh.dpuf

So its a lot of he said- she said but rumors to Pac usings PEDs certainly have legs especially considering that his own trainer Freddie Roach was skeptical to things that Ariza was giving Pacquiao.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#37 » by E-Balla » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:51 pm

N8isScofield wrote:I watched all 4 fights. I know what happened. I also never said that Mayweather couldn't beat Pacquiao. I was merely pointing out that Marquez is the only counter puncher you can really point to Manny having trouble with and unlike Mayweather he is a counter puncher with legitimate KO power. A mistake like Manny made against Marquez(in a fight he was winning decisively to that point) probably doesn't end in a KO against the less powerful Mayweather.

Floyd got knockouts at 140 and he was way less aggressive than Marquez. Marquez fighting at 147 has no power too. We've seen Floyd hurt people plenty of times before. His punches are sharp.
MKCATL
Starter
And1: 707

Post#38 » by MKCATL » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:10 pm

This is whats wrong with Boxing, this Fight should have happened 5 years ago, The holder of the belts should not be able to decline a matchup to the top contender, instead we have had crappy fights that were all show. **** these guys.
"I am by no means an expert in basketball." -James Dolan
Elias20
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#39 » by Elias20 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:36 am

Completely agree with MKCATL. Boxing is dying for that very reason. The only big match that fans have been asking for was Mayweather vs Manny but we haven't gotten it. Now that Manny is washed up, Mayweather wants to challenge him. That's a bit unfair to the fans. We wanted to see these guys go at it when they were by far the top two boxers. They have each dropped a bit lower on the totem pole.

Changes need to be made.....
Die hard NY Jets fan? Check out: http://nyjetsfanatics.com/forum.php
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#40 » by Bulls69 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:27 am

BKAY wrote:lol are people really voting for Pacquiao?

It's just the hate for Mayweather I think Pacman woke up a sleeping Giant Floyd is going to embarrass Pacman
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.

Return to New York Knicks