ImageImageImageImageImage

Rondo goes to Dallas for practically nothing

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,458

Re: Rondo goes to Dallas for practically nothing 

Post#261 » by ibraheim718 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:22 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
DowNY wrote:Rondo, Ellis & Tyson are all expiring to add the cherry on top.

Not a great-tasting cherry. They won't want to lose Ellis, and presumably not Rondo or Tyson either. If they all play well but the Mavs don't win a title, which is the most likely scenario, they'll still want get paid and it's dubious what upside you have to win the title as Dirk ages.

Maybe you take that money and try to entice Gasol or whomever. Flexibility is nice but not clear how much they can upgrade from that talent -- they may need to just keep the same guys at higher prices.

I think now that they have Rondo letting Ellis walk and replacing him with just strictly a 3 and D guy at the two is probably going to appear to be a better idea.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#262 » by simon24 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:27 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:

Not a great-tasting cherry. They won't want to lose Ellis, and presumably not Rondo or Tyson either. If they all play well but the Mavs don't win a title, which is the most likely scenario, they'll still want get paid and it's dubious what upside you have to win the title as Dirk ages.

Maybe you take that money and try to entice Gasol or whomever. Flexibility is nice but not clear how much they can upgrade from that talent -- they may need to just keep the same guys at higher prices.

I think now that they have Rondo letting Ellis walk and replacing him with just strictly a 3 and D guy at the two is probably going to appear to be a better idea.

I thought Ellis had a player option next season. Couldn't he just not excercise the option?
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#263 » by Phish Tank » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:28 pm

danny ainge has no reason to trade within division.... ever! So anyone who thought we'd get him via trade should just stop now
johnnywishbone
General Manager
And1: 1,361

Post#264 » by johnnywishbone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:29 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
CKamm1 wrote:Where's the people who said that 2016 1st we gave up for Bargnani was meaningless?

those people never existed

no one ever said it was meaningless to give up a pick
people only said that perhaps Bargs would work out and our pick would be very low

I guess you didn't read Cap and GONYK's footer over the summer?

Here it is again:

I will not trade future draft picks for past draft busts.

But it would not have helped us get Rondo for two reasons:

1) No way Boston trades Rondo to the Knicks.
2) We would have already used it to get Lowry.
Play time is over.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,055

Post#265 » by Capn'O » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:40 pm

^Damn stiff couldn't even get me the reps for an easy W :nonono:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Carl_Karlson
Head Coach
And1: 3,030

Post#266 » by Carl_Karlson » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Boston tryin' to join the tank
WTF Post of 2017:

If Phil pulled that off, I would put a put a paper bag over my head, paste a picture of Jeannie on it, poke a hole through the mouth, and give Phil the best BJ he's ever had in his entire life.[/quote]
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#267 » by dakomish23 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:35 am

KnicksGod wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

They might add another big name. Monroe seems likely. Smh

If anything this should teach NYK fans to have some patience. Myself included. The first two years the media and fans were killing Cuban for breaking down the championship roster and looking to sign big names.

Yeah well that didn't really work, and that's why he changed course.

He's done well but I'm not going to give him GM of the Year yet. Rondo has been iffy, and he's got an uphill climb to win a title. Tyson trade looks good. Best thing he did was getting Dirk to take less using his personal charms.

The bigger things were that they kept their picks for the most part and made some good acquisitions in Ellis & Calderon that got them back to the playoffs. Flip Calderon , add Parsons. Flip Nelson add Rondo n

We need to add picks to our stash and make some smart acquisitions if Gasol wants no part of this. Don't give max money to what's left just because. I'd rather add 2-3 8-10 mil guys than add one way overpaid star and filler. Millsap seems ideal for that. Ditto for Jackson or Dragic. Or maybe both if we can dump Calderon & #Teammiss
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,531

Post#268 » by Fat Kat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:39 am

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,444

Post#269 » by KnicksGod » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:44 am

Fat Kat wrote:

That made my day.

No extension agreed to.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#270 » by god shammgod » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:57 am

i have no idea why you're obsessed with this kg. it's always interesting what you focus on.

anyway - here's marc cuban at the press conference
On the likelihood of these players not being rentals:

Obviously, we wouldn’t give up picks if we didn’t think it was long term. We’re past the days of rent-a-player. We want him to be here for a long time and we want to earn his desire to stay here. We have to convince him that he wants to be here because we know we’ll want him.
We’re going to do everything possible to keep him here forever. He’s one of the youngest guys on the team.

and rondo

Rondo on if this can be a long-term union:

I’m definitely excited and optimistic about the situation here. And like Mark was saying, being alongside a guy like Monta and they just re-signed Chandler, the future seems bright and I’m just looking forward to winning a championship as fast as possible and hopefully we can keep this team together.

On being with Dallas:

Every night, like I said before, I did feel like I had a chance to win when you put four guys out there that’s going to compete. With this team in particular, leading the league in scoring, every night you have a chance to win the game. You definitely can’t take any games for granted. To be a contender right away, there’s on goal that you have in mind and I’m dying to get a ring again. I want another parade. I was fortunate. Dwight and I were fortunate. Mark was in New York and picked us up today. Excited and we talked about it. I just want to get another parade.

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/12/19/rajon-rondo-introductory-press-conference-quote-board/
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,069

Post#271 » by Jeffrey » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:03 am

Basically it's like this....

Rondo with Knicks = need him to be 3rd option. If he signs a 10+ million dollar contract extension, Knick fans will be asking him to do more than what he is capable of. Be a 3rd option, shoot better than 70% at the line, need to shoot 3s.

Rondo with Mavericks = doesn't need to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd option. Similar to what he had with the Big 3.

What we need is a bonafide 2nd scorer this coming offseason. A player that can consistently get 18+ points with good FG% outage. Also knows that he will be the 2nd fiddle to Melo.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,444

Post#272 » by KnicksGod » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:19 am

god shammgod wrote:i have no idea why you're obsessed with this kg. it's always interesting what you focus on.

anyway - here's marc cuban at the press conference
On the likelihood of these players not being rentals:

Obviously, we wouldn’t give up picks if we didn’t think it was long term. We’re past the days of rent-a-player. We want him to be here for a long time and we want to earn his desire to stay here. We have to convince him that he wants to be here because we know we’ll want him.
We’re going to do everything possible to keep him here forever. He’s one of the youngest guys on the team.

and rondo

Rondo on if this can be a long-term union:

I’m definitely excited and optimistic about the situation here. And like Mark was saying, being alongside a guy like Monta and they just re-signed Chandler, the future seems bright and I’m just looking forward to winning a championship as fast as possible and hopefully we can keep this team together.

On being with Dallas:

Every night, like I said before, I did feel like I had a chance to win when you put four guys out there that’s going to compete. With this team in particular, leading the league in scoring, every night you have a chance to win the game. You definitely can’t take any games for granted. To be a contender right away, there’s on goal that you have in mind and I’m dying to get a ring again. I want another parade. I was fortunate. Dwight and I were fortunate. Mark was in New York and picked us up today. Excited and we talked about it. I just want to get another parade.

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/12/19/rajon-rondo-introductory-press-conference-quote-board/

My honest takeaway is that Cuban wants him yes but Rondo is non-committal.

And pretty clearly he hasn't already agreed to stay:

"We want him to be here for a long time and we want to earn his desire to stay here. We have to convince him that he wants to be here because we know we'll want him. We're going to do everything possible to keep him here forever."

Also players often talk about titles, parades in order to keep the focus on the present and avoid the future. Bron did that a lot in 2009/10.
markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Post#273 » by markdeez33 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:05 pm

And we didn't have the assets, huh?

I truly believe the Knicks could've offered a better deal.

I guess the Celtics sent Rondo where he wanted to go.
bballoctober
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#274 » by bballoctober » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
bballoctober wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:Rondo's a very good player when surround by other good players. That makes this trade a win for the Mavs. The only worry is that Rondo isn't a good locker room guy. Shouldn't be a problem if they continue to win. He would've been a terrible fit here.

That's a lie. He just like to break plays every now and then which infuriates his coach. But his teammates love him and the coach tolerates his freeflow for the most part because he's a hell of a player.

According to multiple sources, Rondo’s errors were being pointed out when he arose and began discussing the mistakes of his teammates. Loudly. Using harsh language.

Coach Doc Rivers got up and fired back, and Rondo threw a bottle that shattered the video screen. He bolted from the practice facility and was prevented from returning when he tried later.

Rondo was in charge of a team that won just 24 games, he'd throw a no-look bullet and when it was dropped out of bounds he'd roll his eyes in exasperation. If he set up a shooter for the open jumper and it clanged off the rim, the shooter was subjected to the Rondo stare, a look steeped in disdain and aggravation.

Rivers hauled his supposed floor leader into his office and asked him, "Do you know your teammates hate playing with you?"

Rondo's had character issues that date back to college. Why do you think Ainge was so quick to ship him out? In this market, with these reporters, he would've been crucified. The media and fans still can't get over JR untying shoes. There are more reported stories if you care to look for them, but my guess is that there are a plethora of untold incidents.

You can say the same about Kobe, less temperamental, more talented and more successful. I seen him played, he's a heck of a PG and with better players, he'll have a better attitude.
I will only cherish the wins and ignore everything else, because that's the only way to survive as a Knicks fan.
bballoctober
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#275 » by bballoctober » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Basically it's like this....

Rondo with Knicks = need him to be 3rd option. If he signs a 10+ million dollar contract extension, Knick fans will be asking him to do more than what he is capable of. Be a 3rd option, shoot better than 70% at the line, need to shoot 3s.

Rondo with Mavericks = doesn't need to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd option. Similar to what he had with the Big 3.

What we need is a bonafide 2nd scorer this coming offseason. A player that can consistently get 18+ points with good FG% outage. Also knows that he will be the 2nd fiddle to Melo.

Jimmy Butler or Marc Gasol will do just fine.
I will only cherish the wins and ignore everything else, because that's the only way to survive as a Knicks fan.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,069

Post#276 » by Jeffrey » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:57 pm

bballoctober wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:Basically it's like this....

Jimmy Butler or Marc Gasol will do just fine.

Marc Gasol is not coming. Why would he?
Is he going to drop his 5th year on his contract and take 30 million less? He is due to get Melo's type money and deserves it.
He literally grew up in Memphis.
His team is a serious contender to be in the finals.

Jimmy Butler is a possibility but he is a RFA. Chicago is known to not overpay their players but who knows. Chicago is also a contender and we don't know if Butler wants to be his own man and lead his own team. He would be a nice fit.

Wesley Mathews is also another name. Again, Portland is also having a great season and their owner has deep pockets like Dolan.

Danny Green would be a nice 2 guard for us. It won't break our bank.
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#277 » by Fat Kat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:38 pm

bballoctober wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
bballoctober wrote:That's a lie. He just like to break plays every now and then which infuriates his coach. But his teammates love him and the coach tolerates his freeflow for the most part because he's a hell of a player.

According to multiple sources, Rondo’s errors were being pointed out when he arose and began discussing the mistakes of his teammates. Loudly. Using harsh language.

Coach Doc Rivers got up and fired back, and Rondo threw a bottle that shattered the video screen. He bolted from the practice facility and was prevented from returning when he tried later.

Rondo was in charge of a team that won just 24 games, he'd throw a no-look bullet and when it was dropped out of bounds he'd roll his eyes in exasperation. If he set up a shooter for the open jumper and it clanged off the rim, the shooter was subjected to the Rondo stare, a look steeped in disdain and aggravation.

Rivers hauled his supposed floor leader into his office and asked him, "Do you know your teammates hate playing with you?"

Rondo's had character issues that date back to college. Why do you think Ainge was so quick to ship him out? In this market, with these reporters, he would've been crucified. The media and fans still can't get over JR untying shoes. There are more reported stories if you care to look for them, but my guess is that there are a plethora of untold incidents.

You can say the same about Kobe, less temperamental, more talented and more successful. I seen him played, he's a heck of a PG and with better players, he'll have a better attitude.

You indicated that I lied. Fact is, comparing him to Kobe is just silly. Rondo's diva attitude doesn't match his talent level. He'll do well in Dallas because he won't be asked to do too much. He's a timebomb on a bad team.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#278 » by R-DAWG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:02 pm

They are just such a well run organization from top to bottom.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#279 » by DowNY » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:22 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
DowNY wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see the Rockets counter with acquiring Brandon Jennings & Josh Smith.

Brandon Jennings
James Harden
Trevor Ariza
Josh Smith
Dwight Howard

Jennings and Smith are not the guys that fit the system they are running / Morey ball.

May not fit but it looks like Smith will be heading there.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see Terry & pieces moved for a player like Jennings.
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#280 » by Fat Kat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:49 pm

bballoctober wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
bballoctober wrote:That's a lie. He just like to break plays every now and then which infuriates his coach. But his teammates love him and the coach tolerates his freeflow for the most part because he's a hell of a player.

How's that better attitude theory working out?

Return to New York Knicks