ImageImageImageImageImage

Wes Matthews

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,431

Wes Matthews 

Post#1 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:17 am

Is this guy as good as advertised? It seems like his name keeps coming up as the number 1 target for SG Free agent acquisition. I like his offensive game is he significantly better fit than Green from the Spurs? I admit I dont watch a lot of Portland's games but I remember him in the playoffs and I was underwhelmed. Is he one of those guys that looks great during the regular season but tapers off in the playoffs.

IMO Danny Green is big time, clutch, and probably less expensive. He's my number 1 choice. His recent point season numbers pretty much destroy Wes Matthews.... Comments?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,482

Re: Wes Matthews 

Post#2 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:28 am

You can't go wrong with either. Both are 2 way players, and that's what I'm looking for. I'd even throw Afflalo in there as an option. Wes might be more of a vocal leader though.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
MeloTime
Sixth Man
And1: 409

Post#3 » by MeloTime » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:56 am

Matthews is an amazing 2 guard but only at the expense of 4 year /48 million no more than that

He is only putting up 16 - 2- 3

No need to pay him 15 million +
whysoserious488
Sixth Man
And1: 621

Post#4 » by whysoserious488 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:01 am

He is the type of player we might be able to attract. Although he plays for a great team and title contender in Portland, they likely cannot afford what he will command on the open market because they have to worry about paying LA and Lillard (down the road), and a guy like Mathews becomes expendable.

Realistically, guys like Mathews and Dragic will probably be our ceiling. Millsap is starting to look like a pipe dream with what Atlanta has turned into, is he going to leave a situation that good and where the team can probably pay him well?
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#5 » by JBreezeNY » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:06 am

If we have to overpay to get him or Green I say walk away.

I understand the whole "you have overpay to get good players when you're a bad team" but we're trying to build something new. You don't get rid of Tyson, JR & Shump (and potentially Amar'e & Bargs) just to continue with our old habits.

But yes Wesley is as good as advertised. One thing you can say about him is consistency.
whysoserious488
Sixth Man
And1: 621

Post#6 » by whysoserious488 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:14 am

JBreezeNY wrote:If we have to overpay to get him or Green I say walk away.

I understand the whole "you have overpay to get good players when you're a bad team" but we're trying to build something new. You don't get rid of Tyson, JR & Shump (and potentially Amar'e & Bargs) just to continue with our old habits.

But yes Wesley is as good as advertised. One thing you can say about him is consistency.

Hard to build something slow and steady when Melo is in his prime and the 2016 1st round pick is gone. Phil has to try to put the best team possible together next season. It should include a top 3 pick/future star on a dirt cheap salary. The flipside to that is you may have to overpay a guy like Mathews. You can't come away with nobody in free agency, not in an upcoming season where being in the lottery again would be senseless.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,893

Post#7 » by DaGawd » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:22 am

Wes is exactly the type of player you'd want in a Knicks uni.. Gaurds the opposition's best perimeter wing every night and plays 100% to balls to the wall..almost like a prime Gerald Wallace only a much better offensive player imo. He's a two way SG and can hit the 3 like it's a layup at times. Def wouldn't mind getting him. Dunno if he's willing to walk away from what he has in Portland however.
BaF
Washington Wizards
JBreezeNY
RealGM

Post#8 » by JBreezeNY » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:24 am

whysoserious488 wrote:

Hard to build something slow and steady when Melo is in his prime and the 2016 1st round pick is gone. Phil has to try to put the best team possible together next season. It should include a top 3 pick/future star on a dirt cheap salary. The flipside to that is you may have to overpay a guy like Mathews. You can't come away with nobody in free agency, not in an upcoming season where being in the lottery again would be senseless.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRER1Rbg9_o[/youtube]

"But I don't wanna overpay"

I still think we need to find a way to get affordable contracts with role players but I agree with your overall sentiments.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#9 » by dakomish23 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:32 am

Would be perfect here. We can't afford him. POR is gonna start him at 12 per. They're all about chemistry and cohesion according to Lowe and they don't want to mess up what they have going. Allen is not going to be shy about spending.

We have too many holes to fill to overpay for great role players - 11 holes after the draft (Melo CEarly Thanos Pick). Unless we get lucky with a big fish, we are going to have to settle for lesser models who can potentially outplay their contract. Affalo, RoLo etc.

What a **** shame that our last 2 1st rd picks were SGs and we have to still focus on that position. Unbelievable.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#10 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:39 am

Keep in mind that the cap is going up so some of the numbers will appear inflated. Danny Green will cost less but I don't think he's as good a defender as Matthews. Matthews is shooting threes at a great percentage and with high volume. Actually he and Lillard have shot more threes than Curry and Thompson.

To me, Matthews is the super tough guy your backcourt needs. He is a great fit with Melo and if you guys land Okafor you really have a good trip to build around.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

Post#11 » by Zooropa » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:48 am

I watch almost every Blazers game, and I love Wes. He's not a star, but he's a multi-talented, two-way starting 2 guard in this league. I'm not going near the max with him, but he's a great target to begin to flesh out a starting lineup, while leaving holes for stars.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#12 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:13 am

I would rather try to trade for Batum who is better than Wes, but gets less love...
Batum for 11M > Wes who we would be expecting a lot more from.
Batum would basically be the defense next to Melo's offense and would allow us to have balance and structure in our roster.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
JBreezeNY
RealGM

Post#13 » by JBreezeNY » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:22 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:I would rather try to trade for Batum who is better than Wes, but gets less love...
Batum would basically be the defense next to Melo's offense and would allow us to have balance and structure in our roster.

Batum has turned into an inconsistent low-energy bum, don't do it.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,893

Post#14 » by DaGawd » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:23 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:I would rather try to trade for Batum who is better than Wes, but gets less love...

Eh.. Batum does a lot of things on the court.. Wouldn't necessarily say he's better tho. He suffers from a severe lack of aggression which holds him back.
BaF
Washington Wizards
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#15 » by Workforce250 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:59 am

We have nothing to trade but dollars.
GardenFaith
Senior
And1: 450

Post#16 » by GardenFaith » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Wes is a good player now but throw a 12-15 mil per year price tag on his head and he's overpaid and in the firing line by media and fans and here in NY that pressure is 10 times that of Portland.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,130

Post#17 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:35 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:

Batum has turned into an inconsistent low-energy bum, don't do it.

Eh, you basically have to ask, "Why?" because Batum has been consistent in the past, and because he's still relatively young. If the organization believes this is an outlier season, then we should be trying to get him, on the cheap.

One example I'm thinking of is Al Horford. There was no way we could have gotten him, but I remember many posters here saying they didn't want him and he was too injury prone. But these last few weeks, he's really shown his skills as a big man. And if those same posters still say they wouldn't take Horford on this team, then I would question their basketball IQ. The thing is, we should not wait for a player to rebuild his value and then go for him. We need to take risks, and smart risks at that. Maybe Batum is that risk we need to consider and maybe he's not.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#18 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Whichever one between him and Afflalo comes cheaper is the 2 guard I want.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,034

Post#19 » by Reign23 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:47 pm

whysoserious488 wrote:

word ! if we're stuck with calderon (which i do not hope) and should get okafor then we can spend our cap space between green/matthews/afflalo/green. 2 of them and we're more than ok !

calderon/matthews/melo/green/okafor for example !

I think i would prefer danny green to matthews... could be a lot cheaper
formerly known as knickst4pe
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,112

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Yep. Although I will add a caveat on the good as advertised part being depending on which advertisement you are reading. I've read "advertisements" (on this board) that he's a max player. If that's the advertisement being read, then, well...

Return to New York Knicks