ImageImageImageImageImage

Atlanta--no true rim protector

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#1 » by BRIGGS » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Play undersized at both the 4 and 5.
Why is the team so good?

Thew answer--they are one of the only teams that have the double high skill post players who have the ability to score 20 points any given night and avg solid numbers in rebounding and are both GREAT passers.
Then you take a PG who is under rated--a quick player who plays tight defense and has great ability to penetrate and get others involved while still getting his own on good FG%. And then his sub is also quick so you get the same for 48 minutes on ball defense.
Premium 3 pt shooting--they get the best out of what they put on the floor--besides having the best 3 pt shooter in the game they keep great emphasis on multiple 3 point shooters especially on unit 2. This keeps the floor spread offensively all game
Even there energy player Carroll is not a raw offensive player--in fact all 10 guys have offensive skills they bring.

Time allocation NOT 1 player on the Hawks plays more than 32 minutes--not 1. This cuts down on susceptibility to injury--allows the players to keep their energy high(which is why they have won 18 in a row--they can play strong on back to backs) and they rely on 5 bench players for material play.

In many many ways they have the Spurs model down packed and the guys to run it. When you think about it--who put it together---Danny Ferry--right? and who coaches them--Pops old head guy. They are Spurs East now.

How does this relate to the Knicks.? Well we can learn from this. The theme shouldnt be well we need a 7-3 guy to block shots and ra w SF defender to take LBJ etc.. no. What we need is 2 premium skilled post players --and Melo can be kind of a third with 1-2 good post players who can also spread it to three. An emphasis on quicker PGs who can play D yet also score--goodbye Jose C--I could see Galloway as a back up PG. More emphasis on quality 3 PT shooters--keep THJ and continue his development. Keep Jason Smith as a guy who can stretch the floor out to 3--I dont think hes an 82 game starter in anyway but more like the third big who can spot start. Keep away from raw players--put more emphasis on offensive players who will play into a defensive scheme.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
brigadierjerry
Senior
And1: 53

Re: Atlanta--no true rim protector 

Post#2 » by brigadierjerry » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:50 pm

Briggs

what examples of the type of players u want for the Knicks using this concept?

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Tapatalk 2
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:06 pm

brigadierjerry wrote:Briggs

Well one of the Hawks post players is a FA this offseason and the other will be an FA next offseason.
sasso
Junior
And1: 132

Post#4 » by sasso » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:06 pm

I like the Hawks set-up too. I actually think Melo and Milsap have a lot of similarities, and if we're following the Hawks mold, Melo would be our Millsap at PF. We can sign their SF, Demarre Carrol in free agency, sign Wes Matthews to be our Korver, and sign Dragic to be our Teague. Center is the problem. It is pretty difficult to find a center like Horford to pair with Melo in the frontcourt because he is a pretty unique and well-rounded player. Marc Gasol is the obvious choice in FA, but it would be difficult to sign him IMO. We could end up drafting a post-up playmaking center (Okafor, Towns), but that isn't a given either. If Phil can somehow obtain a center like Pau, Cousins, or Noah, they would fit right in, but again this is way easier said than done. How our future center fits will make or break us IMO.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#5 » by BRIGGS » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:18 pm

It's very hard to speculate on free agency or trades until this incredibly important draft comes by. I'm very big on Okafor but other "big"players as well--like Kaminsky Portis Towns Christmas and IF some of the players NOT projected top 5 fall into the late 1 area or early 2nd. I am NOT big on raw bigs Stein Turner(even though he has potential I cant justify a high pick on him) Other than Towns(who will be) these guys are basically 20-10 players who also play defense In college.

Secondly Ive been looking for high quality 3 point shooters who can play both ways as well. I have like Tyler Harvey since the beginning of the season--a guy who has many characteristics of Steph Curry. I love Russell--not as high on Johnson Oubre(potential but just hasn't justified a high pick)Mudiay--although I would pick him #4 if I had pick 4 and my 3 guys were gone. Im also a fan of Rozier not as big a 3 point shooter but that quick PG I was talking about.

I need the draft to go by to speak on free agency--heck we all do. We need to see what we have the free agency speak is so speculative because the draft could change anything thought out. Obviously we are going to have scenario A B C etc... but does that even change if say we were able to get Okafor Kaminsky Harvey? Or Russell Christmas? Or Towns Rozier? Even Justin Andersen if he fell in that Demare Carroll role depending IF we have a 2nd round pick and hes there. We have to go through the draft process to get to the free agency process. Really the only thing we have is a wait and see approach and try to see if we can acquire any additional assets for this draft (and obviously that's a hard process to match up the pick to a player coveted)
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#6 » by Marty McFly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:11 pm

the knicks should aspire to lack as few holes as possible. they shouldn't aspire to be a team that hasn't won a championship just because they've won alot of games.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#7 » by E-Balla » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:44 pm

No. We should build by just plainly gathering talent. This team is an almost blank slate right now. Let's say we draft Okafor suddenly Gasol becomes less of a need and a guy like Dragic, David West, and Wes Matthews becomes major.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,962

Post#8 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm

they also play inspired on both sides of the ball. credit to budenholzer for having his iguanas biting, computers 'putin', all that.

they overachieve because they play hard as hell. their whole is so much better than the sum of the parts. it's almost insulting to the team to isolate one reason.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#9 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:32 pm

E-Balla wrote:No. We should build by just plainly gathering talent. This team is an almost blank slate right now. Let's say we draft Okafor suddenly Gasol becomes less of a need and a guy like Dragic, David West, and Wes Matthews becomes major.

knicks/eagles? wtf?

sorry. i was distracted by that.

of course, we need talent at every position. but let's not make the same mistakes of the past. a lot of our 2000s teams did not lack talent. they lacked cohesion and winning culture. fit and determination are equally important. we shouldn't just be looking at the best talent at each position. we have to give MUCH more thought to how these pieces mesh than we have in a long time.

these bum brawlers we have going out there right now, they're not the most talented bunch. but they fit and the work together. we need markedly improved versions of these guys.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#10 » by E-Balla » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:they also play inspired on both sides of the ball. credit to budenholzer for having his iguanas biting, computers 'putin', all that.

they overachieve because they play hard as hell. their whole is so much better than the sum of the parts. it's almost insulting to the team to isolate one reason.

:rofl:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:23 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:they also play inspired on both sides of the ball. credit to budenholzer for having his iguanas biting, computers 'putin', all that.

:rofl:

:lol: glad you appreciate that
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#12 » by Johnny Hoops » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Atlanta success is no secret -- they have some very talented/unselfish players that are playing in open/free flowing offense that emphasizes ball/player movement.

Phil knows what type of players we need (not Briggs) -- just let's wait on Phil and see what he comes up with.

By the way -- if we are talking about big/skilled high post players to target ---- K-A Towns is best young big suited for that roll.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#13 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:Atlanta success is no secret -- they have some very talented/unselfish players that are playing in open/free flowing offense that emphasizes ball/player movement.

Phil knows what type of players we need (not Briggs) -- just let's wait on Phil and see what he comes up with.

By the way -- if we are talking about big/skilled high post players to target ---- K-A Towns is best young big suited for that roll.

the horford comparison looks right to me.

not to say you draft him #1 overall. but if he's there at 2 or 3... hard to pass on him.

i understand if you believe in mudiay and pass on him... past that... i'm like, you GOTTA take him. i do over russell, and i wince to do it over stan, but i do.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
iLovethosedamnknicks
Rookie
And1: 221

Post#14 » by iLovethosedamnknicks » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Let's see if they get past the 2nd round.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#15 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 pm

yo. how funny would it be if atlanta won the championship. that would be both hilarious and awesome for the league.

it would also be a shot against the tank commanders, and a shot in the arm for those who believe just how much winning mentality and culture count.

anyway, i feel like we digress a bit from the point.

you don't need a "rim protector" if no one is getting easy layup opportunities. good team defense does not result in blocks. blocks can be a fools gold kind of stat, like steals, and even assists.

you block shots when people are going to the cup on you like you're not there.

a lot of steals come from gamblers who allow mismatches and easy baskets when they miss on picks.

a lot of drive-and-kick ballhogs got 9APG in the 90s and 2000s.

numbers DO lie if you let them.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#16 » by Marty McFly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:yo. how funny would it be if atlanta won the championship. that would be both hilarious and awesome for the league.

it would also be a shot against the tank commanders
how?
and a shot in the arm for those who believe just how much winning mentality and culture count.

seriously? :lol: where do good basketball players fit in that equation?
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Yodi2007
Pro Prospect
And1: 137

Post#17 » by Yodi2007 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Well one of the Hawks post players is a FA this offseason and the other will be an FA next offseason.

And neither one will go to NYK! Those guys have gelled well together and probably will sacrifice to hope to win a ring! If they win the Chip this season, then they might leave ATL for a bigger paycheck!
yb90
Senior
And1: 217

Post#18 » by yb90 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm

Briggs, I think you are confusing elite shot blocker and rim protector. Al Horford does a good job protecting the rim with his rotations and occasional blk shots. He is also a good post defender and Millsap is a great help defender and post defender so they do a good job together.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#19 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:19 pm

sasso wrote:I like the Hawks set-up too. I actually think Melo and Milsap have a lot of similarities, and if we're following the Hawks mold, Melo would be our Millsap at PF. We can sign their SF, Demarre Carrol in free agency, sign Wes Matthews to be our Korver, and sign Dragic to be our Teague. Center is the problem. It is pretty difficult to find a center like Horford to pair with Melo in the frontcourt because he is a pretty unique and well-rounded player. Marc Gasol is the obvious choice in FA, but it would be difficult to sign him IMO. We could end up drafting a post-up playmaking center (Okafor, Towns), but that isn't a given either. If Phil can somehow obtain a center like Pau, Cousins, or Noah, they would fit right in, but again this is way easier said than done. How our future center fits will make or break us IMO.

okafor can play horford role.
imborj
Senior
And1: 53

Post#20 » by imborj » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:37 pm

moocow007 wrote:

i like how you think mate. 8-)

Return to New York Knicks