ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Westchester Knicks Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Re: Official Westchester Knicks Thread 

Post#21 » by moocow007 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:21 pm

beasonu wrote:How much do these guys generally make

Not much at all. I believe something in the 25k range. I did a full writeup about what they can make before. Don't remember the exact numbers anymore (old age). But yeah, a guy working entry level in an office in NYC, can make more than most of them. It's why folks were so amazed that Thanasis would choose to play in the D-League instead of overseas (where he could make at least 10x that much).

EDIT: there are 3 tiers that you can be paid. 25k is the HIGHEST tier. It does get offset by having health and life insurance benefits provided, room/housing (during season) provided and a daily $40 stipend for meals. Players can also make money via bonuses for various milestones and outstanding play but it's really not much (the MVP gets 3k bonus, for example). Obviously this salary doesn't apply to guys that are actually signed to NBA contracts that have cups of coffee with their teams D-League affiliate.
beasonu
Starter
And1: 830

Post#22 » by beasonu » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:28 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Not much at all. I believe something in the 25k range. I did a full writeup about what they can make before. Don't remember the exact numbers anymore (old age). But yeah, a guy working entry level in an office in NYC, can make more than most of them. It's why folks were so amazed that Thanasis would choose to play in the D-League instead of overseas (where he could make at least 10x that much).

EDIT: there are 3 tiers that you can be paid. 25k is the HIGHEST tier. It does get offset by having health and life insurance benefits provided, room/housing (during season) provided and a daily $40 stipend for meals. Players can also make money via bonuses for various milestones and outstanding play but it's really not much (the MVP gets 3k bonus, for example).

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Surprised 30+ year olds are playing in it then
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by moocow007 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:32 pm

beasonu wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

EDIT: there are 3 tiers that you can be paid. 25k is the HIGHEST tier. It does get offset by having health and life insurance benefits provided, room/housing (during season) provided and a daily $40 stipend for meals. Players can also make money via bonuses for various milestones and outstanding play but it's really not much (the MVP gets 3k bonus, for example).

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Surprised 30+ year olds are playing in it then

Yeah. I'm guessing some see it as still the best chance in getting to the NBA (overseas may be seen as an "out of site, out of mind" option for some). Other's may see it as the only option (not everyone can make a lot of money playing overseas). Also, the Jeremy Lin "undrafted guys who make it big in the NBA" lure will convince yet other to keep trying.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,647

Post#24 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:33 pm

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Anybody got a good handle on Orlando Sanchez? is he someone who can help us going forward?

I've watched quite a few Westchester games thus far and my take is that Sanchez needs a LOT of work on his mental focus and overall intensity (consistent effort, etc.). Every once in a while (usually a couple times a game) he'll flash some moves that makes you think that he's a possible Boris Diaw type guy but then then he'll do something else (badly miss an assignment, throw a pass to no one, not box out...which is a HUGE problem for him..., take an awful shot, etc.) that makes you think that maybe he should go to some minor league of the D-League team to work on his game before being promoted to Westchester. Yeah. You know Jeremy Tyler would flash some brilliance but then just do things that makes you shake your head? Sanchez makes Tyler look like Tim Duncan in terms of inconsistency. Sanchez is kinda like Jekyll and Hyde just a whole lot more Hyde (unless you think Hyde is the better one in which case he's a whole lot more Jekyll). When he makes a great read and pass you think "wow great feel for the game", but when he plays poorly the general thought is "I'm not sure he's ever played competitive basketball before".

Sanchez is 26 years old, not a young guy either. So his chances of really getting things together and making the leap to the NBA (and staying in the NBA)? Not good IMO. Again, he has some intriguing skills, but he should be doing a whole lot more than he has so far which is not a good sign. If he wants to be the next Galloway, he needs to be able to at least dominate the bulk of his D-League opponents and show some solid consistency (no, being consistently inconsistent is not consistency) like Galloway had. Sanchez should look at his teammate, Darnell Jackson, if he wants to get an idea of what it's going to take to even sniff the NBA. Sanchez has a lot more skills than Jackson but right now Jackson (who has played in the NBA before) IMO is more deserving of a call-up because he consistently fights, plays hard, and does the right things.

Right now, the best bet as far as someone that can help contribute for the parent team is Thanasis. That's honestly pretty much about it. The Westchester Knicks are like the NY Knicks...relative to the other teams in their league, they are arguably among the least talented once you get past the one guy that stands out for them in some way. Anthony is the Knicks lone guy that looks great. Thanasis (pretty much for his defensive potential and overall upside) is (now that Galloway is not longer there) the long guy that looks good enough to at some point join the parent Knick team from the baby Knicks. I don't see anyone else on the Westchester Knicks roster having a shot in the NBA. Honestly? I'd take Ben Strong over Sanchez right now. Strong plays smart, is always in the right place at the right time and works real hard.

Thanks for the scouting report MC. I guess we'll have to get our forward help somewhere else. Hopefully, Early can improve so he can the SF position when Melo plays PF. Maybe there is help elsewhere in the D League.

As for Thanasis, it just seems like he still can't shoot from outside. But I haven't watched nearly as many games as you have. I check in every once in a while and every time I do I see Thanasis throwing up bricks.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by moocow007 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Anybody got a good handle on Orlando Sanchez? is he someone who can help us going forward?

I've watched quite a few Westchester games thus far and my take is that Sanchez needs a LOT of work on his mental focus and overall intensity (consistent effort, etc.). Every once in a while (usually a couple times a game) he'll flash some moves that makes you think that he's a possible Boris Diaw type guy but then then he'll do something else (badly miss an assignment, throw a pass to no one, not box out...which is a HUGE problem for him..., take an awful shot, etc.) that makes you think that maybe he should go to some minor league of the D-League team to work on his game before being promoted to Westchester. Yeah. You know Jeremy Tyler would flash some brilliance but then just do things that makes you shake your head? Sanchez makes Tyler look like Tim Duncan in terms of inconsistency. Sanchez is kinda like Jekyll and Hyde just a whole lot more Hyde (unless you think Hyde is the better one in which case he's a whole lot more Jekyll). When he makes a great read and pass you think "wow great feel for the game", but when he plays poorly the general thought is "I'm not sure he's ever played competitive basketball before".

Sanchez is 26 years old, not a young guy either. So his chances of really getting things together and making the leap to the NBA (and staying in the NBA)? Not good IMO. Again, he has some intriguing skills, but he should be doing a whole lot more than he has so far which is not a good sign. If he wants to be the next Galloway, he needs to be able to at least dominate the bulk of his D-League opponents and show some solid consistency (no, being consistently inconsistent is not consistency) like Galloway had. Sanchez should look at his teammate, Darnell Jackson, if he wants to get an idea of what it's going to take to even sniff the NBA. Sanchez has a lot more skills than Jackson but right now Jackson (who has played in the NBA before) IMO is more deserving of a call-up because he consistently fights, plays hard, and does the right things.

Right now, the best bet as far as someone that can help contribute for the parent team is Thanasis. That's honestly pretty much about it. The Westchester Knicks are like the NY Knicks...relative to the other teams in their league, they are arguably among the least talented once you get past the one guy that stands out for them in some way. Anthony is the Knicks lone guy that looks great. Thanasis (pretty much for his defensive potential and overall upside) is (now that Galloway is not longer there) the long guy that looks good enough to at some point join the parent Knick team from the baby Knicks. I don't see anyone else on the Westchester Knicks roster having a shot in the NBA. Honestly? I'd take Ben Strong over Sanchez right now. Strong plays smart, is always in the right place at the right time and works real hard.

Thanks for the scouting report MC. I guess we'll have to get our forward help somewhere else. Hopefully, Early can improve so he can the SF position when Melo plays PF. Maybe there is help elsewhere in the D League.

As for Thanasis, it just seems like he still can't shoot from outside. But I haven't watched nearly as many games as you have. I check in every once in a while and every time I do I see Thanasis throwing up bricks.

Oh no question...his shooting is a problem. He'll definitely need to improve either that OR his ability to create off the dribble to justify any big role in the NBA. What works for Thanasis is that he's still young, he has legit NBA size and athleticism for the wing position (he would IMO be one of the most athletic players in the NBA right now if he were playing here) and he actually does play at 110mph every minute on the court. Right now that frenetic zeal is resulting in a lot of fouls but there's no question Thanasis love of the game. There's room there for him to either improve his shot or work on his shot creation off the dribble (his ball handling seems to be pretty solid so I would think that it's just a comfort thing with him and would believe that dribble drive might be easier for him to learn than shooting) and as he matures I think he'll learn that he doesn't have to try to steal every pass, block every shot, etc. to be a presence defensively. As of right now his career path is probably along the lines of a MKG. They share a lot of similarities.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#26 » by Phish Tank » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:56 pm

moocow007 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Oh no question...his shooting is a problem. He'll definitely need to improve either that OR his ability to create off the dribble to justify any big role in the NBA. What works for Thanasis is that he's still young, he has legit NBA size and athleticism for the wing position (he would IMO be one of the most athletic players in the NBA right now if he were playing here) and he actually does play at 110mph every minute on the court. Right now that frenetic zeal is resulting in a lot of fouls but there's no question Thanasis love of the game. There's room there for him to either improve his shot or work on his shot creation off the dribble (his ball handling seems to be pretty solid so I would think that it's just a comfort thing with him and would believe that dribble drive might be easier for him to learn than shooting) and as he matures I think he'll learn that he doesn't have to try to steal every pass, block every shot, etc. to be a presence defensively. As of right now his career path is probably along the lines of a MKG. They share a lot of similarities.

Thanks Moo for the extra insight. I watched the last two games, so my insight is obviously just a little piece of what you've seen.

I agree with your insight on Thanasis & Sanchez. Honestly, the rest of the guys aren't showing much for me or are just way too old that they have no real future.

They should send Early and Wear down to Westchester more often, simply to let some of our current players play more minutes. If only they could pay the players in the D-League more, otherwise we'd have told Tyler to come back rather than playing in China. We just need to get younger and also need to cut these tweeners.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,586

Post#27 » by mpharris36 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 10:53 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/563469490906992640[/tweet]

looks like they are ramping up Early for big minutes after the break when Melo shuts it down.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#28 » by Grover » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:28 pm

moocow007 wrote:And don't forget about Darnell Jackson when talking about the old guys on the team.

I recall Jackson having a very funny nickname on the Cav's board a couple of years ago. Any recollection?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,586

Post#29 » by mpharris36 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 4:47 am

another big game for Early down in Westchester.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by moocow007 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 5:39 am

Grover wrote:
moocow007 wrote:And don't forget about Darnell Jackson when talking about the old guys on the team.

I recall Jackson having a very funny nickname on the Cav's board a couple of years ago. Any recollection?

Not really.i think his nickname in college was Big D so one can imagine what cabs fans were calling him lol.
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#31 » by Juggynaut » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:01 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnSMgc5w_jU[/youtube]
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#32 » by Mr_Perfect » Sat Feb 7, 2015 9:28 am

The fact that we have Melo out there wasting 35-40 minutes a night that could go to developing a guy like Early is pathetic and infuriating.
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#33 » by Huey Freeman » Sat Feb 7, 2015 5:25 pm

Mr_Perfect wrote:The fact that we have Melo out there wasting 35-40 minutes a night that could go to developing a guy like Early is pathetic and infuriating.

It's not "WE" per the NYK brass; it's ALL Melo. You can't make a superstar guy like him sit now when he clearly states that he wants to be in the middle of things in his hometown ASG festivities..
Revolution starts in the mind...
berkkobe7
Senior
And1: 419

Post#34 » by berkkobe7 » Sun Feb 8, 2015 10:23 am

thanasis scored 30 last night franchise record
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#35 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Feb 8, 2015 2:08 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzak0MvDmgw[/youtube]
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#36 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 9, 2015 2:33 pm

I thought his jumper looks good, at least if he's set. I see him as being on the way to that 3D guy, if off the bench right now.

Handle is better than I thought and his drives to the hoop aren't bad, if the finishes are a little awkward.

I see he's still a project from the hightlights (not having seen a full game) but he's coming along and seems to have a generally good feel for the game.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by moocow007 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 4:03 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I thought his jumper looks good, at least if he's set. I see him as being on the way to that 3D guy, if off the bench right now.

Handle is better than I thought and his drives to the hoop aren't bad, if the finishes are a little awkward.

I see he's still a project from the hightlights (not having seen a full game) but he's coming along and seems to have a generally good feel for the game.

If you really want to and have some free time to kill you could always rewatch the D-League games in full...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LeFeYRBSeg[/youtube]

The D-Leagues makes all their past games (in full) accessible via Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/nbadleague/videos?live_view=503&shelf_id=0&view=2&sort=dd
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#38 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 9, 2015 4:23 pm

I've got some free time on my hands; maybe I'll check it out, get a more complete opinion on Thannasis D. Still, even considering the "highlight effect", I don't see him as that far away, at least a rotational bench guy.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#39 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:35 pm

moocow007 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I thought his jumper looks good, at least if he's set. I see him as being on the way to that 3D guy, if off the bench right now.

If you really want to and have some free time to kill you could always rewatch the D-League games in full...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LeFeYRBSeg[/youtube]

The D-Leagues makes all their past games (in full) accessible via Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/nbadleague/videos?live_view=503&shelf_id=0&view=2&sort=dd

Well, the first 3 minutes Thanassis makes several mental errors and I see the whole "he needs to slow down" sometimes. Not done with the first quarter, but already he's gone under 3 screens, which I can't say I like, especially for an effort guy like him. But still, he looks good. I think he'll be ready next year.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#40 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 9, 2015 6:31 pm

Is it me, or does Thanassis shoot like Gerald Wilkens (Senior). F*ck I'm old.

Return to New York Knicks