ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Trade Pablo Prigioni to Houston

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Re: Knicks Trade Pablo Prigioni to Houston 

Post#81 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 am

MeloTime wrote:All of our TPE went to waste...

I dont really even even understand how these work but I think it involves us trading it along with another player of which nobody wants. I mean, no other team wants. Anyway to me Phil is like an inconsistent shooter. He was lousy on the Tyson trade and there's no selling that. Phillis collecting first rounders just for taking on other teams trash. We're selling a double-double whose seven feet tall and is in the top ten defensive players in the league and we get back a guy we all prayed was traded today and two bum picks. Then he trades Pablo who SHOULD have zero value and gets the same amount of picks without having to take back much in salary.

Who does that?
MeloTime
Sixth Man
And1: 409

Post#82 » by MeloTime » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:58 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:

I dont really even even understand how these work but I think it involves us trading it along with another player of which nobody wants. I mean, no other team wants. Anyway to me Phil is like an inconsistent shooter. He was lousy on the Tyson trade and there's no selling that. Phillis collecting first rounders just for taking on other teams trash. We're selling a double-double whose seven feet tall and is in the top ten defensive players in the league and we get back a guy we all prayed was traded today and two bum picks. Then he trades Pablo who SHOULD have zero value and gets the same amount of picks without having to take back much in salary.

Who does that?

Thats the crazy thing lol...
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,207

Post#83 » by The Lamma » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:31 am

louieOrr wrote:This kid has talent but perhaps some confidence issues. I seem to remember him torching us one game against Minny. I think he threw up an airball and was a non factor the rest of the game.

Perhaps coach him up and see if he can have a resurgence here. His opportunity was limited in Houston. He will have every opportunity to get on the court here.

May as well see if we can find a diamond in the rough instead of sitting on our hands. That in itself is an improvement from our corporate puppet GM's of years past. Have to at least appreciate the willingness to put in the work to find potential complimentary players.

Yeah I remember seeing him early on in his NBA career with the Wolves and thinking he had solid potential as a multi-faceted guard with good length. Then for some reason, he fell out of favor, and lost the PT he was getting. I always wondered but never knew why, so yes it could be confidence issues...

Either way speaking strictly player for player, Prigioni (vet) is better suited for Houston and Shved (young) is better suited for NY.

Houston will be in the mix for the 'offs and a solid veteran player is useful.

NY is clearly out of the mix and is looking for personnel to groom going forward.

I haven't seen Shved play for awhile, so am still wondering what the deal is as to why he didn't continue to flourish after a promising start.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#84 » by Boarder Patrol » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 am

Sum of Phil's trades:

OUTGOING:

Tyson Chandler
Raymond Felton
Travis Outlaw
Jeremy Tyler
JR Smith
Iman Shumpert
Pablo Prigioni
2nd to Philly
2nd SWAP to Philly

INCOMING:

Sam Dalambert (waived)
Jose Calderon
Shane Larkin
Cleanthony Early
Thanasis Antetokounmpo
Lance Thomas
Lou Admundson
Quincy Acy
Alexy Schved
2nd from Cavs
2nd from Houston
2nd from Houston
+ upwards of 14m in cap savings + subsequent lux tax savings.

--

Technically, Wayne Ellington was at one point both incoming and outgoing so I just didn't include him. If you ask me, the list above shows a clear emphasis on getting younger and instituting a new culture, but also a big drop off in talent (obviously).
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#85 » by BeagleBoss » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:34 am

Phil gets hated on but give him some credit for Galloway, Amundson and Lance Thomas. These two have shown so far they can play a role. Maybe we get the same with Shved.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#86 » by GYK » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 am

didn't move Jose smh.
But that's the only thing to complain about, I kinda need it.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#87 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:43 am

SHVEDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#88 » by moocow007 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:49 am

Mr_Perfect wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Hello, we traded a 38 yr old back up for a young, tall player and 2 2nd picks and no extra years salary

What is wrong with some of you ?

You like playing with smoke and mirrors don't you? We traded a productive 38 year old backup for a lot more expensive 3rd string PG who has been poop and 2 2nd round picks 2 and 4 years from now that likely will be bottom of the barrel of the 2nd round.

Not sure if serious...

We just traded an old backup PG with no future here for 2 2nd rounders and this is somehow a bad thing?

This is makes some Knicks fan intolerable. The overvaluing of our players is incredible.

We got a good haul for Prigioni. It's a good deal.

Ok so I'll repeat this for the 800th time cause apparently folks are extremely slow on the uptake. He took on more than twice the money in the exchange contractually...roughly $4 million worth when you factor in luxury tax to essentially buy 2 distant 2nd round picks that will likely be bottom of the barrel in the 2nd round. This is a trade that basically falls between "hey it's not my money" and "better than nothing". If that's good to you then you have extremely low expectations of what "good" is.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#89 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:00 am

If we are talking salary, Phil has really trimmed the salary down overall. To just look at one minor deal in which we added minimal salary is silly.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/568408151126646784[/tweet]
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
whysoserious488
Sixth Man
And1: 621

Post#90 » by whysoserious488 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:05 am

Sort of a "meh" trade... no expectations for today going in though so at least we picked up more picks. Repeat after me: the draft and offseason are all that matter, the draft and offseason are all that matter....
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#91 » by moocow007 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:17 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:If we are talking salary, Phil has really trimmed the salary down overall. To just look at one minor deal in which we added minimal salary is silly.

Primo Pasta, come on down?
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#92 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:22 am

moocow007 wrote:
Mr_Perfect wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
You like playing with smoke and mirrors don't you? We traded a productive 38 year old backup for a lot more expensive 3rd string PG who has been poop and 2 2nd round picks 2 and 4 years from now that likely will be bottom of the barrel of the 2nd round.

Not sure if serious...

We just traded an old backup PG with no future here for 2 2nd rounders and this is somehow a bad thing?

This is makes some Knicks fan intolerable. The overvaluing of our players is incredible.

Ok so I'll repeat this for the 800th time cause apparently folks are extremely slow on the uptake. He took on more than twice the money in the exchange contractually...roughly $4 million worth when you factor in luxury tax to essentially buy 2 distant 2nd round picks that will likely be bottom of the barrel in the 2nd round. This is a trade that basically falls between "hey it's not my money" and "better than nothing". If that's good to you then you have extremely low expectations of what "good" is.

So basically we bought two picks. I'm still happy - we need picks.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#93 » by DrCoach » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:35 am

moocow007 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Hello, we traded a 38 yr old back up for a young, tall player and 2 2nd picks and no extra years salary

Productive ? We have 10 wins. What is 38 yr oled origs gonna do for us next yr?

More expensive? No extra yrs on the contract , why do you care about Dolans money?

2 picks is two more picks than we had yesterday and are assets
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#94 » by br7knicks » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:49 am

he was the only guy on the team i actually liked. **** that
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
MeloTime
Sixth Man
And1: 409

Post#95 » by MeloTime » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:50 am

DrCoach wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Productive ? We have 10 wins. What is 38 yr oled origs gonna do for us next yr?

More expensive? No extra yrs on the contract , why do you care about Dolans money?

2 picks is two more picks than we had yesterday and are assets

Agreed. 2 more 2nd round picks are 2 more second round picks. And for the poster that keeps saying yea we paid 2 million for them well hey we still have 2 more million we can use to buy 2 more if needed in the draft.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#96 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:53 am

moocow007 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:If we are talking salary, Phil has really trimmed the salary down overall. To just look at one minor deal in which we added minimal salary is silly.

Primo Pasta, come on down?

which is only important because of the repeater tax

avoiding that ensures us that we don't have to stress the contracts we start acquiring in the future, which will be sizable Im sure
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,547

Post#97 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:03 am

I suppose it could be said that there are 2,864,686 reasons why Bargs hasn't been bought out yet.

Saving $$$ this season has been a part of the goal though and that's rarely beneficial from a talent perspective. Coming up, the team starts to add.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#98 » by Mr_Perfect » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:24 am

moocow007 wrote:
Mr_Perfect wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Not sure if serious...

Your condescending tone is hilarious since you're up in arms over a trade that nobody cares about. This is a regular, run-of-the-mill backup for 2nd round picks trade. You're talking about adding a couple million in salary for an expiring deal while collecting 2nd rounders for an old guy going back to Spain next season. What did you want as a return? A 1st rounder? A blue chip prospect? Someone's rotation player? What exactly were you expecting that has you reacting so angrily? You didn't want 2nd round picks? You would have preferred to waive Prigioni in the summer? What, exactly, matters at all with this trade besides the picks?

Please, tell me - without being Dolan's accountant, of course.
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#99 » by fresko024 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:13 am

MeloTime wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Who does that?

Thats the crazy thing lol...

Felton AND Chandler were traded tho. That's why we got so little back
Romans 8:1-4
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#100 » by camillepd » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:42 am

we have 3 mil to buy picks in upcoming draft. Remember last year the nets purchased 3 second round picks.

Return to New York Knicks