ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: D Cousins?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Re: OT: D Cousins? 

Post#101 » by DowNY » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:07 am

duetta wrote:Cousins is already paired with Gay - and his team is 20-35.

Gay isn't Melo. Never will be.

Also Knicks would still have $$ to sign another max player & low tier player. Kings are just stuck being horrible with contracts like Jason Thompson, Carl Landry & others on their cap vs. quality players.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#102 » by DowNY » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:09 am

Everyone talking about the cap & contracts obviously care more about quantity instead of quality.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,816

Post#103 » by Adelheid » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:09 am

N8isScofield wrote:
duetta wrote:Too much of a knucklehead for my tastes - and probably for Phil's. And you should be suspicious of big men with reasonable rosters whose teams don't sniff winning.

Phil had Bynum, Odom and MWP and had success with all of them. He's no bigger of a knucklehead or troublemaker than any of those guys were and he's more talented than all of them. Phil would bite their hand off if Sacramento was willing to trade us Cousins.

Phil isnt down there on the bench, and Derek is no Phil nor zen....Phil has to put pieces that Derek can handle.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#104 » by Marty McFly » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:14 am

The guy would be worth more than the first pick in this year's draft, and yet you've got guys who'd make that deal without questioning why the kings would do it in the first place.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#105 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:26 am

DowNY wrote:Everyone talking about the cap & contracts obviously care more about quantity instead of quality.

I think some of us fans favor the Spurs and Hawks model of building a deep team rather than the Big 3 teams of the Celtics and Heat. However if we can dump Calderon in the potential trade, I think we can build a good enough team around Melo and Cousins.
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#106 » by bigfnjoe96 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:30 am

DowNY wrote:Everyone talking about the cap & contracts obviously care more about quantity instead of quality.

We've seen the concept of this type of movie before and it starred "Isiah Thomas"
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#107 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:36 am

Cousins would dominate in the weak east...get it done Phil please!! Cousins and Melo should be enough for at least the 2nd round and maybe the ECF since the Bulls are pretty much done, and teams like the Wizards and Raptors aren't legit threats.
MeloTime
Sixth Man
And1: 409

Post#108 » by MeloTime » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:47 am

D. Cousins is a 24 year old 6'11 center who is putting up 24 ppg & 12 rebounds. He is a legit dominant post presence, can score, pass, rebound and defend.

Is Okafor and Towns going to give you 24 ppg & 12 rpg within their first 2 years ? Melo is 30 years old, he is a legit scoring threat and can easily average 25 ppg & 7 rpg. You have to pair him with Melo.

You do that trade if its on the table.

You have roughing 12 million to sign a pretty good FA.

You go hard after Wes Matthews.

Jose Calderon
Wes Matthews
Carmelo Anthony
???????
Demarcus Cousins

Thats definitely a top 3 team in the east. Just get solid vets like T. Prince, Elton Brand...etc to sign.
MeloTime
Sixth Man
And1: 409

Post#109 » by MeloTime » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:48 am

bigfnjoe96 wrote:

We've seen the concept of this type of movie before and it starred "Isiah Thomas"

And we got players of D.Cousins Caliber ? and to pair with Melo Caliber ?

:nonono: :crazy:
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,162

Post#110 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:56 am

There's no rush. Wait til free agency. If we did happen to nab a big fish like Gasol or LMA PLUS any other free agents AND our draft pick then that trumps getting Cousins by himself with perhaps another mid level FA. We'd have to give up THJ, Early, all our 2nd rounders and maybe another future 1st also. Other teams would even beat that offer though. So for now just see what the draft and free agency brings. If we strike out then maybe something can be worked out.
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#111 » by bigfnjoe96 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:03 am

MeloTime wrote:
And we got players of D.Cousins Caliber ? and to pair with Melo Caliber ?

:nonono: :crazy:

Right now of course not. In a few month's we will have the ability to get someone of his caliber or possibly better without mortgaging our future by trading our pick for him. Okafor or Towns are really good players right now. In a few years they will probably be at Boogie's level or better. And guess what, they will be on a really CAP friendly deal.

This team has multiple needs and blow 1/2 of your CAP Space on 1 player, with an assest right now is just plain stupid. Especially when we have soooooooooo many needs
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#112 » by spree8 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:10 am

I don't understand how any Knick fan of the past decade and a half since Ewing would want us to trade a top lotto pick. Haven't you learned your phuckin lesson by now??? :noway:
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#113 » by duetta » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 am

Manhattan Project wrote:This season has turned out to be a total train wreck but the Kings were on the right path before Malone got fired. That single move probably set this franchise back at least three years. It was that horrible, fire a guy that had the team playing some good basketball out in the west. Karl is eventually going to trade Boogie, they'll get a big package and the team will take a few years to recover. Karl should've never accepted this job, that team isn't going to play for him.

But they were 28-54 the year before. The guy has never won. That doesn't make him a pariah, but it also doesn't suggest that he's a winner.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#114 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 am

MeloTime wrote:D. Cousins is a 24 year old 6'11 center who is putting up 24 ppg & 12 rebounds. He is a legit dominant post presence, can score, pass, rebound and defend.

Is Okafor and Towns going to give you 24 ppg & 12 rpg within their first 2 years ? Melo is 30 years old, he is a legit scoring threat and can easily average 25 ppg & 7 rpg. You have to pair him with Melo.

You do that trade if its on the table.

You have roughing 12 million to sign a pretty good FA.

You go hard after Wes Matthews.

Jose Calderon
Wes Matthews
Carmelo Anthony
???????
Demarcus Cousins

Thats definitely a top 3 team in the east. Just get solid vets like T. Prince, Elton Brand...etc to sign.

We would only have the room exception ($3mil) under this scenario for our starting PF. Will you be okay with Jason Smith (who has been playing better lately) or Quincy Acy at the 4?

While I agree with your statements, I think what Towns is going to give the team will be beyond stats. He can bring character and intangibles to the team, a fiery temperament that will not rub teammates the wrong way. Similar to what Joakim Noah brings to the Bulls. While Melo has professed his 'love' for both Okafor and Cousins, in my view it is KAT who complements his game the best.

I love Cousins' competitive spirt but it can go overboard such as punching a teammate after a loss. You can say that he has matured since then but this may still be his overriding nature and could at worst have a chilling effect on teammates. Again, if Towns is our pick I would think more than twice about this kind of trade.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,966

Post#115 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:21 am

duetta wrote:But they were 28-54 the year before. The guy has never won. That doesn't make him a pariah, but it also doesn't suggest that he's a winner.

To be fair, has any of his teams ever had a chance? He's never really had anything resembling a team around him, constant change in coaches and teammates. Kings management over the years has been dreadful, I don't think anyone can argue that. I really don't knock Boogie for not being a "Winner" because there's not a chance in hell he could be in the West with those teams.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,051

Post#116 » by GONYK » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:54 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
duetta wrote:But they were 28-54 the year before. The guy has never won. That doesn't make him a pariah, but it also doesn't suggest that he's a winner.

To be fair, has any of his teams ever had a chance? He's never really had anything resembling a team around him, constant change in coaches and teammates. Kings management over the years has been dreadful, I don't think anyone can argue that. I really don't knock Boogie for not being a "Winner" because there's not a chance in hell he could be in the West with those teams.

Is Kevin Love magically a winner now because he's on a winning team?

Making one player responsible for the whole team's record has always been a strange line of reasoning to me.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#117 » by god shammgod » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:55 am

kevin love looked better when he was losing
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,966

Post#118 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:05 am

GONYK wrote:Is Kevin Love magically a winner now because he's on a winning team?

Making one player responsible for the whole team's record has always been a strange line of reasoning to me.

Similar path. Once Jefferson left the Wolves and Love became the best player on the team, the Wolves have done a terrible job putting talent around Love. The likes of Ridnour, Pekovic, Williams, Beasley, Cunningham certainly did wonders to building a team. Rubio and Love is a nice building block, but injuries derailed that team and some horrific drafting never helped.

I don't think Love is magically a winner now but I do think he got to much blame for the downfalls of the Wolves. Eventually the perception of players change over the years. I think Randolph is the perfect example because he really didn't change his game much at all, but the perception of him suddenly becoming a team player popped up.

Love/Boogie were the faces of their franchise and both teams went completely young and had growing pains. Horrific managements ruin young players and we seen that time after time again.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
sdballer
Senior
And1: 269

Post#119 » by sdballer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:14 am

sol537 wrote:1st, Calderón, THjr, Early for Cousins, 37th pick, 2016 lotto protected pick.

We sign draymond to play PF. Gallo can start at PG. We sign a three and D guy for the last starter spot using the mle. That's the toughest and most talented Knicks team since the 90's....

Delusional. Honestly what's wrong with some of you? Your team sucks. Aside from cap space you have next to zero assets. Almost every team could offer more for cousins, who the kings are unlikely to trade.
sdballer
Senior
And1: 269

Post#120 » by sdballer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:17 am

moocow007 wrote:The Kings would definitely have to take Calderon. If they are willing to take Calderon then sure, there's a lot of potential here for a deal.

Obviously they would. Anytime you can trade one if the top 3 big men in the league, who is 24 and locked into to a sweet deal you always want to make sure you get an old overpaid and declining guy.

Return to New York Knicks