ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Could you beat ronda roussey in a fight?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Re: OT: Could you beat ronda roussey in a fight? 

Post#61 » by moocow007 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 11:37 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Honestly the only way to beat her is if you have someone that is both strong enough and fast enough to land a punch or a kick quickly and knock her out. The problem is no one has yet seen a female MMA fighter that is both strong and quick enough to land a KO hit on Rousey before she gets a chance to work a submission. And you have to do it quickly...like...ding, ding, BAM, down...since Rousey is so quick and skilled and can submit you in less than a minute.

Rousey is like Tyson in his prime. Hard to make it far against her. I don't see any female version of Buster Douglas out there. But that's basically what you need. Someone that isn't afraid of Rousey (either because of sheer bravery or sheer stupidity) and that has enough fire power to land a knockout shot quick.

I think Holly Holm might have that kind of power. That leg kick to the head is pretty devastating and power+ striker. She's pretty strong. She's just not ready yet.

Yeah, Holm is sloppy right now. She'd get her clock cleaned by the fireball Rousey. She's got damn hard kicks though agreed.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,249

Post#62 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Mar 1, 2015 11:45 pm

moocow007 wrote:
It was a little past Tyson's prime but Douglas had a jaw made of steel and he wasn't afraid (probably too dumb to be afraid lol). Douglas also was a very hard puncher. You need that same type of female MMA fighter to beat Rousey. Someone that isn't afraid or intimidated (everyone so far has been intimidated). Someone with enough quickness and fire power that can knock her out and do it quick. It's a lot better strategy (hit her hard and try to knock her out) that it is to try to outlast, out grapple, out quick, out smart or out strength Rousey. That's just not happening. And least with a quick devastating strike you have a shot.

I gotta admit, I'm not the biggest boxing guy, but what I think happened was Tyson landed a punch to Buster's ribs and Buster felt it, and Tyson didn't go for a rib shot the rest of the fight. It was dumb. He's not the first guy to fight dumb and he won't be the last, but I believe he could have won that fight if he'd been properly coached.
Go NY Go NY Go
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#63 » by br7knicks » Sun Mar 1, 2015 11:46 pm

Had teammates make the UFC, sparring partner and coach were on ultimate fighter show. Trained at the cus D'Amato boxing gym in catskill.

Absolutely not. I'd last longer having sex with sandra bullock
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
GetItDone
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#64 » by GetItDone » Sun Mar 1, 2015 11:48 pm

People saying "yes", have you ever grappled in your life?

Technique comes into play so much in martial arts. Strength/size obviously has it's part, but not even close to the amount technique does. If you're rather big/strong guy, I dare you to walk into any Wrestling/BJJ gym and challenge a skilled grappler there who is let's say, 50 lbs or so less than you. If you've never grappled before in your life, I guarantee you, you will get manhandled, even by a girl black belt who is significantly less weight.
ThatsWhatIShved wrote:Disrespectfull thread. I would take 06 Arenas over Lebron. Other than traveling and suspected PED use, what does Lebron have over Gil?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#65 » by moocow007 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 11:48 pm

br7knicks wrote:Had teammates make the UFC, sparring partner and coach were on ultimate fighter show. Trained at the cus D'Amato boxing gym in catskill.

You into cougars I see (Bullock is 50). :lol:
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,249

Post#66 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:16 am

GetItDone wrote: even by a girl black belt who is significantly less weight.

where can I sign up for this? :-)
Go NY Go NY Go
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#67 » by Fury » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:20 am

Dumb question
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#68 » by br7knicks » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:21 am

moocow007 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:Had teammates make the UFC, sparring partner and coach were on ultimate fighter show. Trained at the cus D'Amato boxing gym in catskill.

You into cougars I see (Bullock is 50). :lol:

i'm 28, and i would get on one knee for that woman.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#69 » by AllanHoustonFan » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:03 am

She could beat up the average joe no problem.
#MKGA
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#70 » by j4remi » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:14 am

newyorker4ever wrote:If you think she could keep Rousey from taking her down you're crazy. Rousey would absolutely get her to the ground and probably get another armbar win pretty easily. Holm's doesn't have enough experience not only on the ground but in mixed martial arts period.

This is a Jackson/Winkeljohn product. Ronda getting inside isn't a foregone conclusion. There's not a female in the division with Holm's caliber of striking and it's not like she hasn't faced tough competition. Werner and Hayes are both legit and those were better statement fights than last night. She needs a fight with a Mcmann or similar type of pressure fighter, but after that Ronda makes a lot of sense.

Cat is overrated as hell btw. Miesha Tate pretty much dominated Cat for two rounds and the Nunes fight was closer than the UFC would have you think. She'll be in the top five in the division, but her spot at number two won't last. She's not better than the rest of that division at all.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,651

Post#71 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:36 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Did you see the Holm v Pennington fight? I did not, but I read that Holm had a harder time with Pennington than a lot of thought going into the fight and that she's not as ready as most thought in terms of a fight with Rousey.

Yeah, she looked like a pile of nerves. She started the fight a bit tight and Raquel's take down attempts made her tighten up even more. She typically lets her legs go a lot faster than she did in this one. She also seemed to slow up in the third which is unlike her. She still outclassed Pennington for two rounds though and controlled the distance beautifully. A fight with Ronda for her would come down to keeping Ronda away with her boxing and kicks which is absolutely a possibility. That said, between the nerves, lack of experience and need to build her name...I'd say she's two fights away (Bethe Correia next and probably a McMcann or Tate after that to push her with grappling). She's gonna get there though. Her hands her really special for this sport.

I think nerves played a lot more of a role in this performance as well as being unprepared for Raquel's game plan, than how far along Holm is.

If you think she could keep Rousey from taking her down you're crazy. Rousey would absolutely get her to the ground and probably get another armbar win pretty easily. Holm's doesn't have enough experience not only on the ground but in mixed martial arts period.

But Holm is supposed to be the best female boxers out there, no? Arguably, one of the best of all time. There are some who take a boxer over martial artist. Personally, I don't know, but I've heard that argument.
Free Palestine
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#72 » by emo » Mon Mar 2, 2015 3:30 am

I'd shoot her.

Honestly I'd lock my door if that woman ever walked in front of my car.
Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#73 » by emo » Mon Mar 2, 2015 3:31 am

But at the same time I'd take that down.

Raw.
Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,055

Post#74 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:30 am

emo wrote:I'd shoot her.

Honestly I'd lock my door if that woman ever walked in front of my car.

You know what's up. Make sure the car is on and ready to roll too in case she tries anything.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#75 » by MelosSoreWrist » Mon Mar 2, 2015 3:57 pm

Any decent sized, decently athletic man would be 50/50 to beat Rousey.

Do you guys think Rousey could take punches from a man? She has run away from a fight with a 145 lb Cris Cyborg her whole career and Cris is basically a roided up brawler. There is a reason for that. A decent sized, decently athletic man would be a stronger, faster version of Cris.

Yes skills matter. A WNBA allstar team could be more skilled at shooting, passing and dribbling than a high school boys McDonalds all American team. But if they played, the boys would kill the women because they are stronger faster and more explosive. The women would have a tough time even getting shots off. Rousey would have a tough time avoiding all the punches coming at a faster, more powerful rate to get to the clinch for a takedown.

Kimbo Slice. If Rousey was able to get Kimbo to the ground and if she was able to position herself for an armbar, Kimbo would spike her on her head. Have you guys seen a very green Bob Sapp fight Big Nog? Nog took a ton of punishment before Sapp tired himself out and Minotauro was able to get the submission. And at that time Nog was considered the best fighter in the world. Sapp piledrived him in the opening minute of the fight. Rousey would not be able to survive the initial ragdolling.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Q0kChY2Uw[/youtube]
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Bobbyydee
Banned User
And1: 27

Post#76 » by Bobbyydee » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:39 pm

All jokes aside shes probably submissive in bed and a screamer :D :D
Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,931

Post#77 » by Smash3 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:47 pm

No doubt, I would grapple her to the ground, turn her around, push her head down and tell her to arch her back.. Oh wait.. Never mind.
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
Fran Vasquez
Rookie
And1: 95

Re: Re: 

Post#78 » by Fran Vasquez » Tue Mar 3, 2015 1:28 pm

New Jersey Knick wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:This is like guys thinking they can beat the 12th man/woman on a WNBA team. :lol:

Perhaps....ive never played pro wnba players but I did play a few starters on Georgia Tech women's basketball team a few years ago...and as good as they were they were far from the best ballers I ever played with....

I think beating Serena Williams in tennis would be the most impossible woman to defeat in her particular sport.....no matter how much I train, I couldn't see myself winning that

Serena is BY FAR the most dominant EVER, but any 600 ranked player in the world would beat her mercilessly, the only thing she would have going is the serve. Tennis is more or less even until guys hit 16 then they never get you to even practice with a girl. It looks like this: the guy is serving way faster, the ball weights way more and is bouncing higher than the girl can handle, so she is 2 or 3 whole steps behind the baseline running like a chicken and hitting moonballs to the middle of the court, the lesson you actually learn from playing girls is to be patient, because in tennis you can actually beat yourself
A fighter girl will allways have more chances because their sport can end with one move, tennis only ends with one move if you hit the other guy in the balls
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,624

Post#79 » by Lord Commander » Tue Mar 3, 2015 1:47 pm

I would encourage her to put my head in a leg lock.

Return to New York Knicks