ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Avengers Age of Ultron Trailer

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Re: OT: Avengers Age of Ultron Trailer 

Post#21 » by frogfood » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:36 pm

spaceballer wrote:CGI is just a tool, like any other (sets, makeup, costume, etc.)

It's what you do with it and the story underneath that counts. There's a difference between the Avengers and Transformers. One is good, the other is Michael Bay.

Better than Michael bay, sure. Good story underneath? Debatable. This looks like Avengers 1 to me: fight themselves, fight some non-descript drones.

edit: what a mess

frogfood
Suspended

Post#22 » by frogfood » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:39 pm

King of Canada wrote:I think people are finally getting fatigued by the mass amount of comic book movies.

My kids watched a cool cartoon movie about Ultron and Iron Man as an old man raising the children of some of the Avengers.

Seriously. The plots don't change. There is no character development. Take Winter Soldier for example, one of the better Avenger standalones. His character regressed from the First Avenger; he's just a Shield yes man for the most part. The plot? Inside job to fund war on terror. Remove the super hero and all you have is a really bad political drama. Keep it simple. I cannot wait for Mad Max: Fury Road.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#23 » by kane » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:47 pm

riter wrote:
spaceballer wrote: But it's not like CGI was the purpose of the movie.

and this is the point. I didn't mean get rid of CGI---put some effort into the craft so it looks real.
the Wolverine movie was awsome b/c the claws really seemed to come out of his hands. the Hulk is just anime surrounded by the real world.
I feel they put alot more work into cartoon Japanese anime than they did for this type of movie. but I guess as long as it sells.

sorry but i thought both wolverine movies were trash, also just because its a superhero movie with tons of CGI doesn't mean its going to be a hit ether look at the green lantern :lol:

the hulk movies were some of the worsts made.

that's because the hulk is not a good solo character unless they do something like planet hulk witch would almost be 100% CGI, it has nothing to do with how 'realistic' the hulk looks its just boring watching him trying to fight turning into the hulk the whole movie and then one big battle at the end

there's a reason marvel has not done hulk 2 or 3 yet they are already on the 4th iron man movie....
frogfood
Suspended

Post#24 » by frogfood » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:52 pm

I actually didn't mind Ang Lee's Hulk. At least it tried to be something different; it explored themes ranging from rage to daddy issues. The CGI is wildly outdated though. Hulk fight in the desert owned.

Avenger's era standalones are really superficial. Like, Thor is exactly the same as he was at the beginning of Thor 1!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#25 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 9:51 pm

ill watch anything with scarlett johanssen in it.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,248

Post#26 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Mar 4, 2015 10:45 pm

frogfood wrote:I actually didn't mind Ang Lee's Hulk. At least it tried to be something different; it explored themes ranging from rage to daddy issues. The CGI is wildly outdated though. Hulk fight in the desert owned.

Avenger's era standalones are really superficial. Like, Thor is exactly the same as he was at the beginning of Thor 1!

I don't think I agree with you on that one. Thor in the beginning of Thor 1 was arrogant, spoiled, self interested. I'm not going to call it great drama but his personality changed and that was kind of the whole point of the movie. Tony Stark in Iron Man 1 - same thing. Again, I don't think either film deserves best screenplay, but there was clearly some character development in both.

Hulk 2 was pretty good. I didn't care for Hulk 1 at all.

I think, part of what works about the movies is the kind of "entertain me" factor. Good CGI, good actors and enough of a plot to keep you paying attention. There's also small stuff in the film that's kind of well done. Thor getting drunk with Eric Selvig. That didn't really need to be in the film, and it didn't make all that much sense, why Eric would get drunk with an almost total stranger, but it made enough sense that Eric thought he might be bad for Jane. And it was one of the great 1-2 minutes of the movie, where you see Thor down the entire beer and the next scene he's carrying Eric home over his shoulder saying "We drank, we fought, we made his ancestors proud" - and a scene later he's serving breakfast. I don't know how to explain it, but that's great story telling cause it's fast paced and it tells you a lot in a little bit of time. Thor's a super hero who lost his powers, and still gets drunk with a smile on his face and he'll wear an apron and serve breakfast the next day. He's still hero enough to not get hung over. I'm not saying you have to like it, but lots of hero movies have boring text filler. Thor had a real character in it. Same with Captain America, both films though the 2nd half of the first movie was kind of empty, the first half was very good with good character development. That's why the movies work, cause the little things are done right (well, cept for Thor 2, that was kind of pointless, and Iron man 3 was a overdone), but in general, they're fast paced and there's enough of a story that they work. Guardians was like that, and it was probobly the best of all the movies. It was fast paced and funny and the characters played well off each other.
Go NY Go NY Go
frogfood
Suspended

Post#27 » by frogfood » Thu Mar 5, 2015 2:30 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
frogfood wrote:I actually didn't mind Ang Lee's Hulk. At least it tried to be something different; it explored themes ranging from rage to daddy issues. The CGI is wildly outdated though. Hulk fight in the desert owned.

I don't think I agree with you on that one. Thor in the beginning of Thor 1 was arrogant, spoiled, self interested. I'm not going to call it great drama but his personality changed and that was kind of the whole point of the movie. Tony Stark in Iron Man 1 - same thing. Again, I don't think either film deserves best screenplay, but there was clearly some character development in both.

Did Thor change much though? He still seems pretty arrogant and self interested to me. He is still the anti-Captain America. You also stated Thor 2 was kind of pointless (it was) which was where I was getting at. Same with Iron Man 3. If you removed Thor 2, Iron Man 3 from the storyline, nothing would've changed.
frogfood
Suspended

Post#28 » by frogfood » Thu Mar 5, 2015 2:31 am

moocow007 wrote:ill watch anything with scarlett johanssen in it.

My man..her scene in "He's Just Not That Into You" is epic.

Return to New York Knicks