ImageImageImageImageImage

Could the Media Really Deter Free Agents From Wanting To Come Play Here?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Could the Media Really Deter Free Agents From Wanting To Come Play Here? 

Post#1 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:27 am

I just read this article on grantland. It basically talks about how KD and Westbrook are at war with the Thunder media. It made me wonder that if the media in little OKC could do all this, imagine what goes on in the Knicks locker room between the snakes we have in the media and the players. Is the NYC media a legit obstacle to attracting free agents?

Here's the link to the article

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-russell-westbrook-kevin-durant-oklahoma-city-thunder-sports-media/
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Re: Could the Media Really Deter Free Agents From Wanting To Come Play Here? 

Post#2 » by siar617 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:34 am

Not even slightly but I hope they get KD out of there
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#3 » by Yankeeknickfan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:36 am

Let's all join together and burn down espn ny. First espn, than wfan, and the worlds sports media.

Spoiler:
the world was a little extreme, we won't be unique if everyone doesn't have media.
Imageceltics
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,895

Post#4 » by DaGawd » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:38 am

I think it plays a part, but it's not the end all to it. The fact of whether the Knicks are headed in the right direction or not in other players minds plays a bigger role in their decision imo.
BaF
Washington Wizards
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#5 » by N8isScofield » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:22 am

If a guy is fragile enough to where the media is going to sway his decision of where to play then I don't want him here. We've had enough weak minded pussies to last a lifetime.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#6 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 am

N8isScofield wrote:If a guy is fragile enough to where the media is going to sway his decision of where to play then I don't want him here. We've had enough weak minded pussies to last a lifetime.

I definitely feel u, but it might be a slight concern tho. This one dude posted on here like 2 days ago that Shane Battier had said that players don't want to come play here because of the media.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#7 » by dakomish23 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:59 am

Why not? They make me hate being a Knicks fan just being associated with them. Imagine if you had to deal with them as a player?

Outside of Herring, NYK coverage is the worst maybe in all of sports
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#8 » by ctorres » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 am

N8isScofield wrote:If a guy is fragile enough to where the media is going to sway his decision of where to play then I don't want him here. We've had enough weak minded pussies to last a lifetime.

Most of the major free agents available are in fact fragile enough to where the media is going to sway they're decision of where to play, so I guess we are screwed bro.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,452

Post#9 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:23 am

Yes because each player has a different personality.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#10 » by kane2021 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 am

Players dont listen to the media the way fans do. Things that might deter a player is, taxes,.. city living,.. a bad team,... a rebuild,...unsure of the coach... hell,... the fans might be more of a concern. You see how it gets.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#11 » by Greenie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:38 am

So they are not allowed to be human? OK.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#12 » by Greenie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:44 am

kane2021 wrote:Players dont listen to the media the way fans do. Things that might deter a player is, taxes,.. city living,.. a bad team,... a rebuild,...unsure of the coach... hell,... the fans might be more of a concern. You see how it gets.

I can tell you first hand that's not true. They listen. Oh, do they listen. They have friends who listen too. Sh*t always gets back to them. Now just imagine dudes that have been told their sh*t don't stink all their lives being bashed by national media for random things, oh lets say not being the best at the time in their sport. These dudes have ego's sizes that you can't comprehend.

They get in they feelings real fast.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#13 » by Greenie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:46 am

dakomish23 wrote:Why not? They make me hate being a Knicks fan just being associated with them. Imagine if you had to deal with them as a player?

Outside of Herring, NYK coverage is the worst maybe in all of sports

I've been screaming this for a minute now. And yet we as fans give the media a fuqing pass for their biased ass views on players and teams.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#14 » by Greenie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:52 am

kane2021 wrote:Players dont listen to the media the way fans do. Things that might deter a player is, taxes,.. city living,.. a bad team,... a rebuild,...unsure of the coach... hell,... the fans might be more of a concern. You see how it gets.

Yes they do.
These athletes care what people say about them. Especially in this day in age where image is everything. What do you think NY media would be doing to Durant right now?
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#15 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:24 am

greenhughes wrote:

Yes they do.
These athletes care what people say about them. Especially in this day in age where image is everything. What do you think NY media would be doing to Durant right now?

I think u might be right Greenie. I remember Durant being salty last year because the OKC media called him Mr. Unreliable. That was practically the 1st time he had ever been criticized by the media down there. Here in NYC, he might be getting bashed on the daily. I remember Melo saying it got to him for a minute when the media was calling him selfish...he said he had to stop reading the tabloids and sh*t.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#16 » by PrecociousNeoph » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 am

well actually everyone knows about dolan's infamous media policy that has frustrated new york sports writers for years, as it limits access to players, coaches, and other team personnel. in this case, that policy would actually be a good thing for us. if we're talking overall, i think it depends on the individual. everyone knows it's tough to play here and you have to have the kind of qualities to endure some of these beat writers regurgitating their intellectual flatulence by way of the various new york dailies. amare surprised me and was able to handle it. melo i knew would be fine. if you read that extremely depressing new york times article that described how stephen curry's agent, his dad dell, and our then GM donnie walsh, behind the scenes were working like mad to get curry drafted by the knicks; in that article if i recall donnie walsh said that he felt strongly curry had the kind of maturity and toughness to handle playing in ny.

so, i'd say its really a case by case thing.

edit- i forgot to say that already having proper boundaries- meaning family and people who really care for you, instead of these vultures and sycophants- is very important.
“Bye, Felicia.”
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#17 » by N8isScofield » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:22 am

greenhughes wrote:

So they are not allowed to be human? OK.

That's quite a reach. I certainly didn't say that. Ultimately the opinions of the various members of the media don't affect your ability to play the game of basketball. I don't want players who are so concerned with what people think or write about them that they're afraid of New York. That shows mental weakness. Mentally weak players are seldom successful. I don't think that's too difficult to understand.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#18 » by vallen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:26 am

besides that, its not a desirable place to live, the taxes are high, and the Fans are brutal.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,966

Post#19 » by knicks94 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Absolutely! Why do you think Lebron never wore a Knicks uniform?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#20 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:36 pm

the media in NY is a double edged sword

they can be horrible for a guy like Bargs, or Melo even, where the expectations and pay check are high. Forget it if you are Marbury.

but ask Lin how the NY Media is. They made him as much as he did.

The NY Media can lift you to levels no where else can including LA, Mia, Chi, etc

but you have to be ready for it, talented, clutch, hard working and charming

Ewing had a very tough time with the media and he was one of the top 3 players ever to play here so ...

Return to New York Knicks