ImageImageImageImageImage

Would You Trade the #1 Pick for CP3?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Simple question...Would You Deal the #1 Pick for CP3, straight up?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 133

kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Re: Would You Trade the #1 Pick for CP3? 

Post#81 » by kane2021 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:56 pm

It has to be considered. But im really not all that excited about it. 4 years ago I was positive that paul was working his way up to or past james as the best player in the game. Really I been disappointed by paul a little. One thing I know is that the clippers are not really contenders. And they have a better roster than us. So what do we look like after? Its also win now with a short window. Do we have enough time to build a cast around them in that window?

This season has really made me think more about the future. I dont have a lot of confidence in building a quick team around carmelo. And the last thing I want us to do is get capped out again for 4 more years with a team that needs to be blown up. I feel like we are one false move away from having to wait until 2019. And I dont know about everyone else. But 20 years of waiting for this franchise to get it right is going to be more than I can handle. I guess maybe I been burned as a fan. I dont trust these homerun middle aged star player trades anymore.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#82 » by malik959 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:03 pm

Ok so with this in mind what would be your ideal line up if we obtain CP3, of course low balling for a superstar by giving just a pick while still keeping Calderon?
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#83 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:14 pm

N8isScofield wrote:This makes sense for Cousins because he hasn't even hit his prime yet, is statistically the best Center in the game and his cap number is still very reasonable. It makes zero sense for a guy already on a huge deal who is hammering 30's door down. I don't remember exactly what positions everyone took in the Cousins thread but if there is anyone who was against trading for Boogie and is in favor of trading for CP3 you're insane.

I think the problem with Boogie is that because of everything you just said in his favor, he's probably worth more than the first pick alone in any draft. Might end up costing you a future pick as well.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,125

Post#84 » by TrueWarrior » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:16 pm

kane2021 wrote:It has to be considered. But im really not all that excited about it. 4 years ago I was positive that paul was working his way up to or past james as the best player in the game. Really I been disappointed by paul a little. One thing I know is that the clippers are not really contenders. And they have a better roster than us. So what do we look like after? Its also win now with a short window. Do we have enough time to build a cast around them in that window?

This season has really made me think more about the future. I dont have a lot of confidence in building a quick team around carmelo. And the last thing I want us to do is get capped out again for 4 more years with a team that needs to be blown up. I feel like we are one false move away from having to wait until 2019. And I dont know about everyone else. But 20 years of waiting for this franchise to get it right is going to be more than I can handle. I guess maybe I been burned as a fan. I dont trust these homerun middle aged star player trades anymore.

Yea I don't think we could put a championship cast around CP3 and Melo quick enough. If we landed Marc then that changes things. CP3/Melo/Marc is a legit big 3 that complements eachother perfectly, but they're all about 30 years old so the window would only be a few years like Boston. I don't see how we could field a better team than that anytime soon though. It would be just our luck that it'd all backfire on us, again, and our guys start breaking down while our traded rookie takes over the league for the next 15 years.

It's going to take a lot for me to go ALL IN right now after we finally did things right. Trading the pick would be flipping off fate. We just need to get this pick right. D'Angelo Russell has some CP3 in him if we wanted to go that route.
NevaGivinKnixUp
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#85 » by NevaGivinKnixUp » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:34 pm

Tough to pass on CP3 for the 1st pick and he's worth more then that.

Say yes we did the trade, now we have to find someone to take Jose, after that is done buy a pick sign Danny Green or Carroll. In 2016 Paul can opt out and we go after Horford, Durant, Noah maybe Beal if we can't get Danny this year. Enticing.

Cp3/Lang
Green/Shved\Ledo
Early/Thanasis
Melo/Bargs/Lou
Bargs/Dekari/Bynum?

Cp3/Lang
Shved/Ledo
Carroll
Melo/Bargs/Lou
Bargs/Dekari/Bynum

Cp3/Beal/Carroll/Melo/Horford

The trade would benefit us in 2016 since we would have room to add two to 3 top FA's with just Melo and Carroll making double figures at the end of 2015.

Either way, we're definitely in a position to do something special in the next few years depending how we handle it.
"Oh well, adversity is the best teacher"
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,637

Post#86 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:36 pm

You can't afford Marc Gasol if you get CP3. Now you have CP3, Melo and maybe 5 million in capspace with four other players under contract. So that's six veteran or minimum salary players. That isn't enough to contend in a year. then you have to attract other people to come. Yes Blake, CP3 and the Clippers suddenly spending money brought in a decent team, but it isn't a team that can get over the hump. There are many teams in a better position. I do not want to recreate the Clippers in NY.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#87 » by malik959 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 10:36 pm

NevaGivinKnixUp wrote:Tough to pass on CP3 for the 1st pick and he's worth more then that.

Say yes we did the trade, now we have to find someone to take Jose, after that is done buy a pick sign Danny Green or Carroll. In 2016 Paul can opt out and we go after Horford, Durant, Noah maybe Beal if we can't get Danny this year. Enticing.

Cp3/Lang
Green/Shved\Ledo
Early/Thanasis
Melo/Bargs/Lou
Bargs/Dekari/Bynum?

Cp3/Lang
Shved/Ledo
Carroll
Melo/Bargs/Lou
Bargs/Dekari/Bynum

The trade would benefit us in 2016 since we would have room to add two to 3 top FA's with just Melo and Carroll making double figures at the end of 2015.

Either way, we're definitely in a position to do something special in the next few years depending how we handle it.

So again my answer would still be no. Your sacrificing our future just to suck today. To sit here and depend on Barg to be healthy as a starter and knowing that we do not have a draft pick next year is just torchor. Plus we would have no low post defense and we would be depending on Barg for rebounding? Now I do want Green in our lineup but again your looking to low ball for CP3 with just one pick knowing they will demand more, low ball Green knowing that he is worth more while placing him on a short deal, and we're starting Early? Yes 2016 may look "Enticing", but the fact of the matter is this lineup may barely get us 8th seed and as I said before we're in a revolving door. Horford is on a team competing for first in a warm climate city (hard to leave), Durant has stated that he did not want to leave and wants to be a player who stays in one city, why Beal when you have Green, and yes I would love Noah but he is deteriorating. As I said revolving door with no pick.

I'd much rather have a chance at:
Galo/Calderon
Green/Shvd/ Hardaway
Melo/Early
Okafor or Towns/Barg
Lopez/ Amundson

This leaves money on the table while having a stronger chance of competing in 2015 and 2016. We can then go after another major free agent when Calderon, Hardaway, and Barg are off they books or instead of going after a superstar we can get two strong players that wont demand a max contract such as Batum + Mike Conley, Thadeous Young + Dragic. This would give us a well rounded team that competes while still not sacrificing our future.
asuran
Senior
And1: 274

Post#88 » by asuran » Wed Apr 8, 2015 10:42 pm

Gimme a hell yeah!!

Getting CP3, Melo will be revitalized!! Plus it shows to other free agents that we are serious about next season.

I am with the 'while Melo is in his prime' crew.
riter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,531

Post#89 » by riter » Wed Apr 8, 2015 10:44 pm

love chris paul.
Still the best pg in the game.
Not falling for steve nash 2.0 (even though would love to have him).

but no.
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#90 » by fresko024 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 11:11 pm

Absolutely. It would hurt me to do it but Chris Paul is my boy
Romans 8:1-4
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#91 » by BallSacBounce » Wed Apr 8, 2015 11:26 pm

We need a team not just two stars so no. Too big a cap hit. I'd rather sign a little lesser player to a max and keep our pick. Now you have three cornerstones.
NevaGivinKnixUp
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#92 » by NevaGivinKnixUp » Wed Apr 8, 2015 11:28 pm

malik959 wrote:
NevaGivinKnixUp wrote:Tough to pass on CP3 for the 1st pick and he's worth more then that.

Cp3/Lang
Green/Shved\Ledo
Early/Thanasis
Melo/Bargs/Lou
Bargs/Dekari/Bynum?

Cp3/Lang
Shved/Ledo
Carroll
Melo/Bargs/Lou
Bargs/Dekari/Bynum

So again my answer would still be no. Your sacrificing our future just to suck today. To sit here and depend on Barg to be healthy as a starter and knowing that we do not have a draft pick next year is just torchor. Plus we would have no low post defense and we would be depending on Barg for rebounding? Now I do want Green in our lineup but again your looking to low ball for CP3 with just one pick knowing they will demand more, low ball Green knowing that he is worth more while placing him on a short deal, and we're starting Early? Yes 2016 may look "Enticing", but the fact of the matter is this lineup may barely get us 8th seed and as I said before we're in a revolving door. Horford is on a team competing for first in a warm climate city (hard to leave), Durant has stated that he did not want to leave and wants to be a player who stays in one city, why Beal when you have Green, and yes I would love Noah but he is deteriorating. As I said revolving door with no pick.

I'd much rather have a chance at:
Galo/Calderon
Green/Shvd/ Hardaway
Melo/Early
Okafor or Towns/Barg
Lopez/ Amundson

This leaves money on the table while having a stronger chance of competing in 2015 and 2016. We can then go after another major free agent when Calderon, Hardaway, and Barg are off they books or instead of going after a superstar we can get two strong players that wont demand a max contract such as Batum + Mike Conley, Thadeous Young + Dragic. This would give us a well rounded team that competes while still not sacrificing our future.

All I am saying is anyone would have to mull it over as a GM, not "I'd do it in a heartbeat" like some stated they would. And looks like you glossed over the 'if no Green', hence I added Beal in 2016 with Carroll in lineup . Also Calderon comes off the books end of 2016-2017 not end of 2016.

On top of that a team of CP3 (and yes it's a lowball offer so argument is moot) Carroll and Melo would def make the playoffs 2015 and would be just as good as the team you listed above if not better imo. With that said ideally IF we were to move the pick, I'd prefer a pick back in return with a player still on a rookie deal to maximize flexibility in 2015.

Either way, we're blessed, good options ahead If done well.
"Oh well, adversity is the best teacher"
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,555

Post#93 » by ctorres » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:22 am

Nope.

CBA remaining as it is, the #1 pick would be a Knick for at least 4-5 years, but can be a Knick for as long as 9 years before ever becoming an unrestricted free agent. Knicks would have their first legitimate homegrown superstar since Patrick Ewing.

That is not worth throwing away for 3 "superstar level" years of Chris Paul which wouldn't exactly guarantee you at title either.

I think the better question to ask would be if we should trade Melo to the Lakers for their top 4 pick while keeping our pick.

I mean, how good could we be if the had two of the top 4 picks in the draft?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,078

Post#94 » by Fat Kat » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:26 am

fresko024 wrote:Absolutely. It would hurt me to do it but Chris Paul is my boy

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,334

Post#95 » by Phish Tank » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:28 am

i don't honestly think CP3 is leaving Los Angeles for the rest of his career.

But with that being said, nope.
asuran
Senior
And1: 274

Post#96 » by asuran » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:20 am

omerome wrote:Also, CP3 isn't a spring chicken, he's still a very good player, but for how long? He won't likely be better and will only age like Melo. Then as I said, when they both are in their 30s, we'd be the same old team as we historically have been - having big names signed to big contracts.

The #1 pick can be a bust, but we have several years at a very good salary to find out for ourselves. Drafting a talented 19 player who can improve to me is more exciting than watching a faux contender lose in the second round.

[My point of view since this is currently Melo's team, and I assume we are keeping him]
CP3 is turning 30 next month, a year younger than Melo. Which is a very good age for a win now mode.

For a smart/pass-first PG, 30 is not a bad age. Steve Nash was MVP when he was 31 & 32.

The #1 pick can be either a bust or a star but that is to be seen at least 3 years down the line. And as someone mentioned earlier Ewing took 5 years to break-out and Olajuwon 8. How old is Melo gonna be when the player we pick turns into someone good?

CP3 is currently an actual star which matches well with Melo's window of opportunity. And everyone is talking about the cap going up so we do still have the flexibility to get players, even with CP3.

--

[Now if we are going with the young route and keep the pick, IMO we need to find a way to unload Melo and go for a young fast paced exciting team]
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,202

Post#97 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:59 am

Straight up? Can't happen. Would need to add about 15mil in salary. Something like that. Just an unrealistic proposal and it has so many pages.
:beer: RIP mags
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#98 » by Sark » Thu Apr 9, 2015 6:32 am

asuran wrote:Gimme a hell yeah!!

Getting CP3, Melo will be revitalized!! Plus it shows to other free agents that we are serious about next season.

I am with the 'while Melo is in his prime' crew.

Melo will be 31 next year, coming off knee surgery. His prime is behind him. Our best bet is that we can salvage a few good seasons from him.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#99 » by Wonderllama » Thu Apr 9, 2015 6:40 am

ctorres wrote:Nope.

CBA remaining as it is, the #1 pick would be a Knick for at least 4-5 years, but can be a Knick for as long as 9 years before ever becoming an unrestricted free agent. Knicks would have their first legitimate homegrown superstar since Patrick Ewing.

That is not worth throwing away for 3 "superstar level" years of Chris Paul which wouldn't exactly guarantee you at title either.

I think the better question to ask would be if we should trade Melo to the Lakers for their top 4 pick while keeping our pick.

I mean, how good could we be if the had two of the top 4 picks in the draft?

I love that idea. If we could get one of Towns/Okafor AND Russell? Why wouldn't Melo want to do that? It's LA and he'll get his money regardless. Yeah... like that idea a lot. Hope it happens
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#100 » by el13adnino » Thu Apr 9, 2015 11:50 am

if deandre doesnt return to the clips, i can see the clippers restarting and building around blake.
:crazy:

Return to New York Knicks