ImageImageImageImageImage

Hopefully Okafor or Towns pull a Eli Manning

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Re: Hopefully Okafor or Towns pull a Eli Manning 

Post#21 » by GONYK » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:40 pm

waya wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Id be more than happy to get Russell. Maybe even Mudiay

If this failed tanking somehow ends with us getting Russell, this was all a blessing in disguise. I can that boy making MSG stand up

If we end up anywhere in the top 4, it's kind of impossible to call the tank a fail
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,954

Post#22 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:45 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:This junk doesn't work anymore. Rubio tried this exact thing with Minny of all teams. Even threatened to not come over after he was picked if I remember correctly. If a team picks you you're going to play for them.

Only reason it worked for Kobe is because nobody thought Kobe would become Kobe, so the Hornets were like "alright whatever, give us Vlade and you can have the little brat" and the Nets/Coach Cal just picked Kittles instead and didn't want to deal with Kobe's sh*t. Meanwhile everybody knows how good Towns and Okafor are. They aren't dropping out of the top 10.

I'd be more than cool with Russell, Mudiay, or WorstCaseWinslowTM anyway.

also, the 1996 draft is in the discussion for best of all-time. there were options if you didn't want to take the kobe risk. and most of the players taken over him where the right answer at the time. it's not like today. high school kids weren't en vogue yet. and kobe's bratty behavior only supported a lot of teams' aversion to picking kids. in hindsight, he's obviously the best player of the draft and possibly the greatest draft steal of all time.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#23 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 pm

I just tried the Tankathon with the current lottery standings.

Out of 5 tries, the Knicks ended up 4th 3 times, 5th 1 time and 1st 1 time.

EDIT:

Just tried it again...the Knicks ended up 4th again 3 times, 3rd 1 time and 1st 1 time.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#24 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:47 pm

GONYK wrote:
waya wrote:

If this failed tanking somehow ends with us getting Russell, this was all a blessing in disguise. I can that boy making MSG stand up

If we end up anywhere in the top 4, it's kind of impossible to call the tank a fail

right. and falling outside of that range is still majorly unlikely, even if today's games result in worst-case scenario. i am confident we are going to be pleased on lottery and draft day. if we don't get #1, there's no guarantee we would have. if we don't fall out of the top 4, you really cant complain, as that's the only thing guaranteed to even the worst record.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#25 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:48 pm

moocow007 wrote:I just tried the Tankathon with the current lottery standings.

EDIT:

Just tried it again...the Knicks ended up 4th again 3 times, 3rd 1 time and 1st 1 time.

i played with it often, even when we had the worst record. i was disappointed to realize how few times i got top 2. but all it's doing is representing probability. i'm not playing with it anymore or losing sleep.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#26 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:

EDIT:

i played with it often, even when we had the worst record. i was disappointed to realize how few times i got top 2. but all it's doing is representing probability. i'm not playing with it anymore or losing sleep.

and 5 times is way to small of a sample size to feel any type of way about. gotta do it at least 10 times. i did it 20 times one day. it was pretty consistent with the actual percentages.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:

EDIT:

and 5 times is way to small of a sample size to feel any type of way about. gotta do it at least 10 times. i did it 20 times one day. it was pretty consistent with the actual percentages.

Speaking of which, here are the percentage chances...assuming the Knicks remain with the 2nd worst record...of getting picks 1 thru 5:

1st pick - 19.9%
2nd pick - 18.8%
3rd pick - 17.1%
4th pick - 31.9%
5th pick = 12.3%

In comparison, the worst teams chances at each of the top 4 picks (worst team cannot end up with a pick worse than 4) are:

1st pick - 25.0%
2nd pick - 21.5%
3rd pick - 17.8%
4th pick - 35.7%
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#28 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:

Speaking of which, here are the percentage chances...assuming the Knicks remain with the 2nd worst record...of getting picks 1 thru 5:

1st pick - 19.9%
2nd pick - 18.8%
3rd pick - 17.1%
4th pick - 31.9%
5th pick = 12.3%

In comparison, the worst teams chances at each of the top 4 picks (worst team cannot end up with a pick worse than 4) are:

1st pick - 25.0%
2nd pick - 21.5%
3rd pick - 17.8%
4th pick - 35.7%

not a world of difference. top 4 guarantee would be great, but this thing is still pretty masterfully designed. 4th and 1st still represent greatest probability... which still ultimately means very little. this was done so basketball professionals wouldn't be whining over trivial wins and losses like some genius fans are right now. you really help yourself by getting into that top-5 worst record range. outside of that... pretty much nothing matters.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:09 pm

Some additional draft tidbits...

As of right now, the Knicks best case scenario is they lose their last game and the Wolves win their last game at which point the two teams will be tied for the worst record. If that happens then both teams will split the number of combinations allotted to the 2 worst teams (250 + 199 or 224) with a coin flip determining which team gets the last/odd (255th) combination. If the Knicks win the coin flip then they will have 225 combinations while the Wolves will have 224 combinations. That is the best case scenario right now...the Knicks get 22.5% chance at the 1st overall pick.

Worst case scenario is that the Knicks win their last game while the Sixers lose their last game. Then the Knicks and Sixers split the combinations allotted to the 2nd and 3rd worst records (199 + 156 or 177). As before a coin flip will decide on who gets the 178th combination. Worst case would be the Knicks lose the flip and end up with 177 combinations (and the Sixers end up with 178 combinations). They get 17.7% chance at the 1st overall pick.

From a pre-lottery positioning standpoint, the only givens are the Lakers at 4, Orlando at 5, Sacramento at 6, Charlotte at 9 and OKC at 14. The other slots can change depending on the final game of the season for the remaining lottery teams.

In the Lakers scenario if they end up after the lottery with the 4th or 5th overall picks then they get to keep their pick. Otherwise (i.e. if the pick turns out to be 6th or 7th) that pick goes to the Sixers.

The Sixers also will get the Heat's 1st round pick if the pick is not in the top 10. If the season ended today the Heat would have an 87% chance of getting the 10th pick. That would mean the Sixers would not get their pick this year.

The Sixers will not get the Thunders 1st round pick this draft as it was top 18 protected (the Thunder are now a lock to be in the lottery).
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#30 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:19 pm

moocow007 wrote:Some additional draft tidbits...

As of right now, the Knicks best case scenario is they lose their last game and the Wolves win their last game at which point the two teams will be tied for the worst record. If that happens then both teams will split the number of combinations allotted to the 2 worst teams (250 + 199 or 224) with a coin flip determining which team gets the last/odd (255th) combination. If the Knicks win the coin flip then they will have 225 combinations while the Wolves will have 224 combinations. That is the best case scenario right now...the Knicks get 22.5% chance at the 1st overall pick.

Worst case scenario is that the Knicks win their last game while the Sixers lose their last game. Then the Knicks and Sixers split the combinations allotted to the 2nd and 3rd worst records (199 + 156 or 177). As before a coin flip will decide on who gets the 178th combination. Worst case would be the Knicks lose the flip and end up with 177 combinations (and the Sixers end up with 178 combinations). They get 17.7% chance at the 1st overall pick.

From a pre-lottery positioning standpoint, the only givens are the Lakers at 4, Orlando at 5, Sacramento at 6, Charlotte at 9 and OKC at 14. The other slots can change depending on the final game of the season for the remaining lottery teams.

In the Lakers scenario if they end up after the lottery with the 4th or 5th overall picks then they get to keep their pick. Otherwise (i.e. if the pick turns out to be 6th or 7th) that pick goes to the Sixers.

The Sixers also will get the Heat's 1st round pick if the pick is not in the top 10. If the season ended today the Heat would have an 87% chance of getting the 10th pick. That would mean the Sixers would not get their pick this year.

The Sixers will not get the Thunders 1st round pick this draft as it was top 18 protected (the Thunder are now a lock to be in the lottery).

stop it, moocow. that's entirely too much logic for people who want to whine about not throwing games.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Post#31 » by kingquan316 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
kingquan316 wrote:
StarksChoked wrote:that's if knicks don't get a top 2 pick.

I could see that happening both of them came out and said they don't wanna play for twolves.

I doubt it, but honestly it's the Knicks own fault for blowing it by winning.

you do realize that the knicks were never guaranteed a top 2 pick, right?

worst record in the league can fall out of the top 2.

there's a probability chart floating around that seems to validate whatever opinion readers want to convey.

Look I hope the Knicks get a top 2 pick. But u can't deny the odds of getting a top 2 pick has now decreased, even if it was low had the Knicks gotten the worst record. If the Twolves get a top 2 pick, and the Knicks don't, then it was a major **** up. Let's get this straight though, I want to be wrong.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#32 » by MelosSoreWrist » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:04 pm

GONYK wrote:
waya wrote:

I've bought in on Justise Winslow with his play late season and tournament. I havent seen enough of Mudiaye but trust the scouting reports. Top 5 is fine although I'd prefer top 2 with Okafor and Towns. Towns, Okafor, Russell, Winslow, Mudiaye would be my order. 2nd worst record guarantees one of those guys.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Normalyute
Sixth Man
And1: 234

Post#33 » by Normalyute » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Knick Spaniard wrote:
Stoosh wrote:What's so bad about Minnesota? Seems to be working out for Wiggins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHMUsF-VsPM

:rofl:

1st time seeing this, that ish is funny
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#34 » by fresko024 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:06 am

Ehh. Okafor and Towns are going to be good pros but Russell and Mudiay would be good consolation prizes. We just have to make sure to build a team full of players that complement each other well.
Romans 8:1-4
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#35 » by mugzi » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:27 am

I dont like the probability of getting the 4th pick being the highest....to me after the season we've had if its not a top 2 pick we got screwed as usual.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
Stoosh
Junior
And1: 190

Post#36 » by Stoosh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:09 am

Knick Spaniard wrote:
Stoosh wrote:What's so bad about Minnesota? Seems to be working out for Wiggins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHMUsF-VsPM

:rofl:

LMAO!!
knicknack
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#37 » by knicknack » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:45 am

It always seems that way the first year or first contract of a rookie until you finally realize your team keep trying to loose to obtain draft picks and you're busting your butt playing hard for no reason. Ask K. Love. The weather and off season life sucks in Minny as well. Many superstars want the attention and opportunity to be recognized in their city on a National level. When was the last time you heard K. Love or even K.G. do something significant in Minny during their time there compared to Kobe in L.A. or M.J. in Chicago for example?
Stoosh
Junior
And1: 190

Post#38 » by Stoosh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:22 am

knicknack wrote:

It always seems that way the first year or first contract of a rookie until you finally realize your team keep trying to loose to obtain draft picks and you're busting your butt playing hard for no reason. Ask K. Love. The weather and off season life sucks in Minny as well. Many superstars want the attention and opportunity to be recognized in their city on a National level. When was the last time you heard K. Love or even K.G. do something significant in Minny during their time there compared to Kobe in L.A. or M.J. in Chicago for example?

Yeah...it does some like they haven't made the playoffs for as long as I can remember. I think Sacramento might be the worst at this actually. They are forever wallowing in lottery purgatory

Return to New York Knicks