ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NFL Draft

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Re: OT: NFL Draft 

Post#41 » by The Infamous1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:28 am

The jets are a pass rushing OLB from having a top 3 defense
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#42 » by DowNY » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 am

j4remi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Possibly. Possibly. I'm still undecided between a lot of guys. I just know which guys I don't want. If I had to rank WR's I would probably rank White higher. I don't think White is another Stephen Hill (a superb athlete that couldn't hack it as a WR) as White is a lot lot lot more developed and productive but I think he will need work. White has pure game breaking ability both before and after the catch. He's someone that you can pass in short route and expect him to gain extra yards and separation quickly, and he's also someone that you can expect to catch deep passes in traffic. There are some concerns, his instincts sometimes can be a little iffy and as mentioned his technique isn't as refined as Coopers is. Cooper definitely would be the safer pick that's for sure.

I feel you, I like Cooper because route running feels like it never gets the prop it deserves for me. But you've given me a lot more reason to trust a White selection. I wouldn't mind Beasley at all though, a speed rusher on the edge with our inside punch...it's enticing. I wonder what would happen with Kerley if we grabbed a WR. He'd go from one of our top two one year, to underutilized for his talent level.

Kerley would still do him. As I said on the 1st page, we're running a spread offense. Gailey likes throwing 4 WRs out there a lot.
Best part is that Marshall, Decker & Kerley all played slot which shows the versatility if we had a player like Cooper.
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#43 » by jermsknicks » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:05 am

:evil:
melomax wrote:Lael Collins for the Giants

praying not Scherff

Hope theirs a new Scherff in town, Eli needs him. Could be the next Steve Hutchinson.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,957

Post#44 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:16 am

jermsknicks wrote::evil:

praying not Scherff

Hope theirs a new Scherff in town, Eli needs him. Could be the next Steve Hutchinson.

also not even sure collins is still on the board when the giants pick
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#45 » by N8isScofield » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:14 am

Ron Mexico wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
nyjetsknicks420 wrote:
Are you talking about the Giants?

don't get your hopes up with Fowler he is going top 5 most likley and White is slated to go top 10 but he might fall down a little

Nah I'm talking about the Jets.

We got the 6th pick so either Cooper, White or Fowler would be nice.

y'all don't want mariotta?

I think that for a lot of us, having just drafted a guy who was successful in a non pro style offense in college but has fallen flat on his face and struggled with basic reads in the NFL are a bit gun shy about doing that again and this time in the 1st rather than the 2nd. Mariota may well go on to be a great pro but he's far from a sure thing like Luck, Peyton or Elway were. For a franchise that has failed at developing QBs for over 40 years, another project may not be the best course of action.
nyjetsknicks420
Sixth Man
And1: 665

Post#46 » by nyjetsknicks420 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:39 am

N8isScofield wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Nah I'm talking about the Jets.

I think that for a lot of us, having just drafted a guy who was successful in a non pro style offense in college but has fallen flat on his face and struggled with basic reads in the NFL are a bit gun shy about doing that again and this time in the 1st rather than the 2nd. Mariota may well go on to be a great pro but he's far from a sure thing like Luck, Peyton or Elway were. For a franchise that has failed at developing QBs for over 40 years, another project may not be the best course of action.

Pennington was a damn good qb but his arm was made of glass and he didn't have a ton arm to begin with
melomax
Banned User
And1: 566

Post#47 » by melomax » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:22 am

Ron Mexico wrote:

praying not Scherff

I'm really sure the giants are going OT or WR

Because I dont see any other position where you draft a guy and he is going to play 70% of snaps.

You draft a DT, and the ones in this draft are 1st/2nd down guys.
You draft a DE, and he's gotta compete against Moore and Ayers
There is no safety in this class worth a top 10 pick
There are a lot of 3rd down OLBers, but none of them are 4-3 players

that basically whittles down everything to OT/WR

Reese always says you need your 1st round pick to come in and produce right away. I dont see any DE, DT, LB or S in this class whose going to do that as a top 10 pick. None of those guys are 3-down players in our 4-3 scheme.

So basically it's a lock that we draft Collins, Peat, then Scherff OR Parker/Cooper/White IMO.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by N8isScofield » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:36 am

nyjetsknicks420 wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:

Pennington was a damn good qb but his arm was made of glass and he didn't have a ton arm to begin with

Let's not be revisionist because of the abysmal QB play the last few years. He had 1 very good year as a Jet in 2002 and an ok year in 2004. Outside of that he was between awful and average for us. He then had the 1 good season in Miami in 08. 2 good seasons out of an 11 year career is hardly "damn good". It's not good at all.
nyjetsknicks420
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by nyjetsknicks420 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:56 am

N8isScofield wrote:
nyjetsknicks420 wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:I think that for a lot of us, having just drafted a guy who was successful in a non pro style offense in college but has fallen flat on his face and struggled with basic reads in the NFL are a bit gun shy about doing that again and this time in the 1st rather than the 2nd. Mariota may well go on to be a great pro but he's far from a sure thing like Luck, Peyton or Elway were. For a franchise that has failed at developing QBs for over 40 years, another project may not be the best course of action.

Let's not be revisionist because of the abysmal QB play the last few years. He had 1 very good year as a Jet in 2002 and an ok year in 2004. Outside of that he was between awful and average for us. He then had the 1 good season in Miami in 08. 2 good seasons out of an 11 year career is hardly "damn good". It's not good at all.

I'll take him over any we had since but ur right damn good might be to much

And **** fans actually cheered him getting hurt that was the most pathetic this I think I ever witnessed at a sporting event
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by N8isScofield » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:02 am

nyjetsknicks420 wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:
nyjetsknicks420 wrote:

And **** fans actually cheered him getting hurt that was the most pathetic this I think I ever witnessed at a sporting event

Yeah that was disgusting. I liked Chad as much as he frustrated me with the injuries and noodle arm. He always seemed like a good guy and a model pro.I just don't think we were the right fit. He'd have been better off playing in a warm city (like Miami lol) or somewhere with a dome 8 games a year than the windy Meadowlands. Ironically though, a healthy Chad Pennington potentially takes the Jets to the Superbowl in 2009 and 2010. Such is our luck I guess.
nyjetsknicks420
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by nyjetsknicks420 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:29 am

N8isScofield wrote:
nyjetsknicks420 wrote:
N8isScofield wrote: Let's not be revisionist because of the abysmal QB play the last few years. He had 1 very good year as a Jet in 2002 and an ok year in 2004. Outside of that he was between awful and average for us. He then had the 1 good season in Miami in 08. 2 good seasons out of an 11 year career is hardly "damn good". It's not good at all.

Yeah that was disgusting. I liked Chad as much as he frustrated me with the injuries and noodle arm. He always seemed like a good guy and a model pro.I just don't think we were the right fit. He'd have been better off playing in a warm city (like Miami lol) or somewhere with a dome 8 games a year than the windy Meadowlands. Ironically though, a healthy Chad Pennington potentially takes the Jets to the Superbowl in 2009 and 2010. Such is our luck I guess.

Ya we will see what happens I can't see them passing on mariota if he is available at 6

I'm not sold on him tho not a fan of Oregon qbs
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#52 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:39 am

N8isScofield wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Nah I'm talking about the Jets.

haven't heard that perspective yet. very interesting. thanks. i can see why you might prefer a surer thing at that pick.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#53 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:43 am

nyjetsknicks420 wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:

man, i remember jets fans hating on him so hard. from the outside looking in, i liked him. we knew his limitations. weak arm. often hurt. but i thought he was solid. not the best QB in the league, but he wasn't like... the reason for Ls. and man, have you guys had a better QB since?

i remember the giants trotting out kerry collins, who i hated personally, but didn't mind as a player. he got a lot of the same heat. it was like... yo, this could be danny kannell or dave brown. y'all need to chill a bit.

a star QB is always nice, but there are only ever a handful of those in the game at a given time. if the QB is smart and solid leader, which i think pennington was, then give him a little benefit of doubt and try to build the best team you can.

now toward the end of pennington's tenure, it became clear that he could not deliver the deep ball AT ALL. and it was def time to move on. but he had some solid years. i kinda liked him.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#54 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:44 am

testaverde was a tough act to follow.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#55 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:45 am

melomax wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:

I'm really sure the giants are going OT or WR

Because I dont see any other position where you draft a guy and he is going to play 70% of snaps.

You draft a DT, and the ones in this draft are 1st/2nd down guys.
You draft a DE, and he's gotta compete against Moore and Ayers
There is no safety in this class worth a top 10 pick
There are a lot of 3rd down OLBers, but none of them are 4-3 players

that basically whittles down everything to OT/WR

Reese always says you need your 1st round pick to come in and produce right away. I dont see any DE, DT, LB or S in this class whose going to do that as a top 10 pick. None of those guys are 3-down players in our 4-3 scheme.

So basically it's a lock that we draft Collins, Peat, then Scherff OR Parker/Cooper/White IMO.

agree 100%
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#56 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:52 am

N8isScofield wrote:
nyjetsknicks420 wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:I think that for a lot of us, having just drafted a guy who was successful in a non pro style offense in college but has fallen flat on his face and struggled with basic reads in the NFL are a bit gun shy about doing that again and this time in the 1st rather than the 2nd. Mariota may well go on to be a great pro but he's far from a sure thing like Luck, Peyton or Elway were. For a franchise that has failed at developing QBs for over 40 years, another project may not be the best course of action.

damn good is a stretch. i will say he was average/above average for the rest of those seasons. i mean, it's also revisionist to look back at his whole career and pick out the two or three good statistical seasons without context. i think he got a bad rap, but he was by no means an elite QB. he was... passable, like the middle class of starting QBs in the NFL.

at any given time you have like 5 elite, 3 or 4 near elite, 15 "middle-class" of average to above average, and the rest are either bad/auditioning/going through the motions of the QB carousel/interim. i feel like pennington had one season in the "near elite" and the rest in that middle class. and i've seen super bowls won with middle-class QBs (trent dilfer comes to mind. some might even argue eli).

my only point is it's hard to get mad at the QB if he's not awful. very few teams are lucky enough to have that aaron rodgers/tom brady/andrew luck, etc. the rest have to make it work with just a good football team. as giants fans know, sometimes the driving force is a specialty, like an impossible-to-deal-with 4-3 attack.

i think the offense was the best part of penningtons teams. he had receivers and RBs. they did what they were supposed to for the most part.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#57 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:11 pm

DowNY wrote:Kerley would still do him. As I said on the 1st page, we're running a spread offense. Gailey likes throwing 4 WRs out there a lot.
Best part is that Marshall, Decker & Kerley all played slot which shows the versatility if we had a player like Cooper.

Good point, though I think Amaro will end up getting a lot of burn in those sets too. He's got the ability to work there.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#58 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:Brandon Scherff.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9Hq4bdFY0[/youtube]

:o
melomax
Banned User
And1: 566

Post#59 » by melomax » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:14 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:Brandon Scherff.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9Hq4bdFY0[/youtube]

:o

I swear only in football does everyone's highlight reel look like a top 5 pick.

Collins competed and dominated against Bud Dupree and Dante Fowler. He is proven as a Guard, too.

No way if Scherff and Collins are both on the board that we pick Scherff.

I'd bet a lot of money on that.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#60 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Giants are gonna go BPA.

I LOVE Fowler, but I doubt he gets past 6. Always a fan of drafting D-Line, but drafting a safety would obviously help as would an offensive lineman (although, I'm not entirely sold on any of the top 10 guys being legit top 10 guys - think it's a weak O-Line draft) or WR (especially if we don't bring back Cruz when his contract is up).

Return to New York Knicks