ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agency Power Rankings: Big Men

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Free Agency Power Rankings: Big Men 

Post#1 » by Scalabrine » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:05 pm

I did this last time we had some capspace and it seemed like a good way for us to get some conversations going about fit, and value (and to kill time until draft, etc.).

The list isn't necessarily about best player, but about who the best player will be for the Knicks and in the triangle offense. I will try to give an estimate of how much they will be worth for us and we can debate that too.

For the Center position in this offense, you need a guy that can be a factor offensively. Weather that is a good passer, a good scorer, or whatever, a Center that gets his points off oops and putbacks is not really what this system needs as its starting C (a big reason why we traded Chandler), so I dont really expect us to go after a guy like DeAndre Jordan unless for some reason he wants to take a big discount or we strike out on some other guys. As it stands right now, there is a great chance we could draft either Okafor or Towns which would both fit on our team and what we want to do in the long run. Personally, even if we do draft one of them I want to see us target another big man and have us go with a big lineup like the Grizzlies, Spurs and Bulls have and have Melo as 4 in certain lineups but not as our everyday starter.

Edit: The following guys can be playing 5 and some can also play 4 in our system.

1) Marc Gasol - UFA - The perfect fit. Hes a great passer, he a really good mid range game, one of the best defenders in the league, and hits free throws. His brother Pau played with Fisher and was coached by Phil so hopefully that gives us an edge but I think its highly unlikely that he leaves Memphis. If he does though, I think we will be one of his top choices. Hes also played in lineups as the PF next to Kufos and I think we could have him there next to Okafor or Towns. Max. GONE - Grizzlies 5/105

2) LaMarcus Aldridge - UFA - Hes primarily a PF, but he can play some C. I think his skills are very similar to Anthonys but his talent is undeniable. Like Memphis, an early exit could make him realize that the team wont get much better and that the East offers an easier regular season and a path to the finals that the West doesn't have. He would fit in really well in this system and hes expressed interest in NY and MSG. Max. Gone- Canceled Meeting With Us - F Him

3) Greg Monroe - UFA - I think he is our best realistic target. He can play both the 4 and 5, hes a good passer, a great post player, and played at Georgetown. Hes a solid post defender but he doesnt protect the rim like you'd want and he doesnt have much of a midrange game so we would need to get another guy to complement his skills. Towns and him would be a great fit. 12-14 million. Gone - 3/50 with Bucks

4) DeAndre Jordan - UFA - Hes a great shot blocker, and a high flyer, but in our offense we aren't looking to push the ball, and he will not be any threat offensively because whenever we pass it into the post he will just get fouled. I am not sold on him on our team but would love to have a player of his defensive caliber. Think other teams will want him more and ultimately he signs with LAC again. 12 million.

5) Roy Hibbert - Player Option - He could revitalize his career here. Hes always been a great defender and passer so it could work. Its definitely not the sexiest pickup, his fg% is pretty awful, and he disappears way too often, but for the right price and depending on who we draft, he could be pretty good and provide what we need. 9-12 million.

6) Robin Lopez - UFA - Hes all hustle so I love him but he isnt a threat offensively unless its putbacks. He is a good and willing passer and hits free throws though. His brother being in BK could also help and make him want to come play in NY. I would be happy with him if we draft Okafor or sign Monroe. 6-9 million.

7) Enes Kanter - RFA - I think that he will stay with the Thunder but he is a pretty solid scorer and a good rebounder. His defense is pretty suspect but I think you could hide it. He played really well in OKC but Utah also played really well when he was gone. I think his youth and offensive talent is gonna have a team make a nice offer that will make OKC think about. I think he will get more than I would be willing to give... 8-11 million

8) Tristan Thompson - RFA - Hes another hustle guy that wont dominate any part of the game but fills up the stat sheet and does the little things. Hes a great rebounder, especially offensively and has a decent mid range game. I think he could really improve in a system that lets him have more of an offensive role. The problem I see is that hes a RFA that will likely get big money that I am not really willing to commit too. I think a team will offer him 10-12 million to tie Clevelands hands and I am not sure I want that to be us. 7-10million. Gone - 5/80 Somehow!

9) Kosta Koufos - UFA - I look at him as more of a backup/situational starter, but he is one of the best backups in the league. He isn't an offensive stud, but he has a mid range game and he passes is a tough and smart defender. A better version of Jason Smith. 4-7 million.

10) Kyle O'Quinn - RFA - Hes a native NYer and always seems to produce when he gets a chance. Hes a really good post player, not a standout defender but hes a big body. Hes an RFA but with the direction Orlando is heading I could see him being let go. I know a lot of guys on this board are fans. min.- 3 million.

Other guys: Antic, Aldrich, Jason Smith, Omer Asik, Luis Scola.

Best Case Scenario: Marc Gasol
Good Scenario: Greg Monroe
Likely Scenario: Roy Hibbert
Bad Scenario: DeAndre Jordan at the max
Worst Case Scenario: Kyle O'Quinn

Which of these guys are you interested in? What do you see as realistic? Is there anyone I missed? Any other takes?

Lets hear it!
Go Knicks!
captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Re: Free Agency Power Rankings: Big Men 

Post#2 » by captvict » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 pm

I Know not a center, but: Paul Millsap...Will work beautifully next to Okafor
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#3 » by BowlRips » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:18 pm

def need Milsap on this list.
Also really depends on who you draft
riter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,531

Post#4 » by riter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:20 pm

for the Knicks I have
1)Gasol
2)Hibbert

We need a defensive Center.Without someone better than Tyson--what exactly are we winning? the rest of those bums except Monroe and LMAare not even worth 10 million.----Monroe can't play the defense we need at that position. LMA is redundant. we already have a jumpshooting -- >20mil max --- 30yr old on the payroll.

Gasol is good enough to be a #2. otherwise I search for our #2 in the guard/forward category of Leonard, butler, green,monta,middleton.
bigfnjoe96
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#5 » by bigfnjoe96 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 pm

Player being slept on is Kevin Seraphin. Could be a steal this off season

Sent from my G2 via Tapatalk
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#6 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 pm

Maybe not likely but Kevin Love, Asik, Al Jefferson, and Draymond Green could (or will) also be free agents.

Good list to start from though.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#7 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 pm

My Power Rankings (for the Knicks):
1. Gasol
2. Aldridge
3. Millsap
4. Jordan
5. Monroe
6. Hibbert

If we don't end up with one of these 6 we could be in some trouble.
riter
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by riter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
5) Roy Hibbert - Player Option - He could revitalize his career here. Hes always been a great defender and passer so it could work. Its definitely not the sexiest pickup, his fg% is pretty awful, and he disappears way too often, but for the right price and depending on who we draft, he could be pretty good and provide what we need. 9-12 million.

revitalize? Indiana lost their starting PF, Pg for a big part of the season---and their best player at SF for most of the year. ofcourse they weren't making the playoffs. But they almost did--b/c of their D. it was still one of the best in the league and it was b/c of Hibbert.

His flaws are obvious. But he led that franchise to the ECF. We're not looking for the perfect player. he's not out there.
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#9 » by Bklyn&company » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:27 pm

You forgot.. Enes Kanter... not a big fan, but played very well in OKC... and we can have him if we want.. He is what Barg was suppose to be. Will definitely need a defender next to him. Kanter and Towns? Kanter and Lopez?

Also Paul Millsap is an option at 3,4 and 5. Believe it or not he actually plays center sometimes for ATL..

Another is RFA M.Speights...who has a good mid-range game and rebounder..

Good list though...
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#10 » by isiah_thomas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Always thought Millsap was a lock to stay in ATL. Watching them in the playoffs I think he could def leave now
riter
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by riter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:35 pm

isiah_thomas wrote:Always thought Millsap was a lock to stay in ATL. Watching them in the playoffs I think he could def leave now

I swear I don't know what you guys see in people like Millsap. What is he doing in the playoffs to make you think he's worth that money. I'd rather have Thad for $10 mil. Thad has been doing this his whole career and is younger.
I have to constantly remind people that Thad made the ECF as the best player and PF on the 76's.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#12 » by Scalabrine » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Didn't put Milsap or Green in because I dont think they are Centers. Kanter was an oversight, ill add him, but Green and Milsap will be on the next list, all of these guys would be getting minutes at C if we signed them. Green and Milsap only in rare situations.
Go Knicks!
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#13 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:44 pm

1- Aldridge. There are reasons Im gonna give for the guys after this that might sound contradictory but sometimes pure talent conquers all. Obviously Aldridge has talent and if you're talking about Melos window you got at least a good four years together and then another couple without Melo

2-Monroe- this is where the narrative changes. I hear allot about what Monroe is and isn't. But what I know is he's an extremely talented player who is only 2_yrs old. We talk about allot of talents like Gasol but remember, he's 30 yrs old. You gotta won a title on his first two years to justify it. Monroe on the other hand has about another 6 yrs before he's even 30. And I get it, he's not a true max guy but in a way that's been accounted for by the fact that his max is only 15 mil as compared to other maxes which start at 18-20 mil. So while you get a least player you pay less and can allot more money to a secondary free agent signing. Add in the increase in cap and really that 15 mil will have the feel of your 10 mil role player.
3- Deandre Jordan - I see your reasoning and raise you IDKWTF Phil and his triangle will be in three years. None of us do and when he does leave Deandre will only be 29yrs old with another 6 yrs to go and a style that must coaches use. Pick and roll.
4-Gasol- you might've thought he wouldn't be on my list but as you can see he's not at the top. Still he's a perfect fit at Center
5- Tristan Thompson- I just can't see hire Cleveland can pay both him and Love money. I'll pick up the scraps and in keeping with the theme we're talking about a young player who is a grinder yet can hit that open shot. Yes he's more of a PF but it really depends on who you pair him with, Id like it to be Towns

So anyway the moral of the story is if I can If like to surround Melo with quality players whose lives and not directly tied to him. Guys who as Melo fades and even retires will over time take over more responsibility and then be here long after Melo leaves and it's our current rookie who were worried about building around. I wanna win a title with Melo, I truly do. But if that doesn't happen I don't wanna be in done position with a bunch , of old guys soon to retire themselves. I wanna just transition to the Towns era, or Russell era or whatever era you see fit.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,412

Post#14 » by JXL » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Gasol's getting the max from Memphis even if they're out in the 2nd round to the Warriors. Aldridge's issue is different, but I don't see him coming to NY unless he's very serious on leaving Portland, and if we give him max money. Stay away from Monroe, he's more Amare than you realize. Hibbert's a mental midget, I don't want him near this team. RoLo is a good option, but he'll probably get more by staying in Portland. Amir Johnson's probably staying, DeAndre Jordan's getting the max from the Clippers, Koufos is a glorified backup and would only want him if he's willing to be paid the minimum, O'Quinn has no BBIQ, and Antic is a stretch 5, why get him if you have Bargs?

I see it like this, either strongly persuade Gasol to come to NY, or start which big we can draft (Towns/Okafor), and sign back Aldrich and J-Smith for the minimum.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,093

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Gasol and Hibbert aren't PF's and can't play PF for any team. Well they can (free country and all), but it would be an absolute awful idea and any head coach that does it with any regularity should have their brains checked.

While I do agree that Gasol is the best C in FA, the craziness about what Gasol is and isn't is still way to strong. Not only does Gasol not have the speed/quickness to guard most PF's, pulling him away from what he does best (defending the paint) to chase PF's around doesn't make any sense. Hibbert is a plodder. There is no way he'd be able to guard any semi useful PF on any other team and definitely not any of the many stretch 4's that teams are throwing out there in numbers. His bread and butter defensively is also squatting in the paint and challenging shots at the basket, pulling him away makes his one best skill useless.

Koufos is beginning to sound like this years Jason Smith. A whole heck of a lot of you guys were going ga-ga over Jason Smith (admit it) even though some of us were wondering what you guys were smoking or what other player you guys were confusing Smith with. Show of hands "Jason Smith Fanatics from 2014"?

I would take David West (who you have 16th or so ranked), even at this stage of his career, over all but 6 of the guys. West is the type of player that Billups is chirping about, that Anthony had briefly in that one top season here, that the last successful Knicks teams had. Tough, physical, leader, competitor, thug. Even if he can't play more than 25-28 mpg, his value would be much better than a good number of these guys.
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#16 » by Bklyn&company » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:53 pm

riter wrote:
isiah_thomas wrote:Always thought Millsap was a lock to stay in ATL. Watching them in the playoffs I think he could def leave now

I swear I don't know what you guys see in people like Millsap. What is he doing in the playoffs to make you think he's worth that money. I'd rather have Thad for $10 mil. Thad has been doing this his whole career and is younger.
I have to constantly remind people that Thad made the ECF as the best player and PF on the 76's.

They are both good, I'm sure most would agree.. I'm a fan of TYoung suggested (in November) us going after him in 2015 FA for our PF spot because it will help Melo lineup against PF's on offense. TYoung didn't have the greatest year but his mom die so that must have had an effect on his play.

Still think TYoung and Millsap should be on our list of targets... at PF.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#17 » by Scalabrine » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:57 pm

moocow007 wrote:Gasol and Hibbert aren't PF's and can't play PF for any team. Well they can (free country and all), but it would be an absolute awful idea and any head coach that does it with any regularity should have their brains checked.

While I do agree that Gasol is the best C in FA, the craziness about what Gasol is and isn't is still way to strong. Not only does Gasol not have the speed/quickness to guard most PF's, pulling him away from what he does best (defending the paint) to chase PF's around doesn't make any sense. Hibbert is a plodder. There is no way he'd be able to guard any semi useful PF on any other team and definitely not any of the many stretch 4's that teams are throwing out there in numbers.

Koufos is beginning to sound like this years Jason Smith. A whole heck of a lot of you guys were going ga-ga over Jason Smith (admit it) even though some of us were wondering what you guys were smoking or what other player you guys were confusing Smith with. Show of hands "Jason Smith Fanatics from 2014"?

I would take David West (who you have 16th or so ranked), even at this stage of his career, over all but 6 of the guys. West is the type of player that Billups is chirping about, that Anthony had briefly in that one top season here, that the last successful Knicks teams had. Tough, physical, leader, competitor, thug. Even if he can't play more than 25-28 mpg, his value would be much better than a good number of these guys.

Gasol and Koufos play on the floor together quite a bit, even in this playoff series weve seen it. He was guarding Meyers Leonard on the perimeter yesterday for example after Leonard started burrying 3's and the pretty much made him a non factor. I get your point with Hibbert, so I edited that line to say the players on the list are mainly 5's that can also play 4 in our system.
Go Knicks!
riter
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by riter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Bklyn&company wrote:
riter wrote:

They are both good, I'm sure most would agree.. I'm a fan of TYoung suggested (in November) us going after him in 2015 FA for our PF spot because it will help Melo lineup against PF's on offense. TYoung didn't have the greatest year but his mom die so that must have had an effect on his play.

Still think TYoung and Millsap should be on our list of targets...

I believe Thad to be head and shoulders better than Millsap b/c of his Defense and ball handling and playmaking.
Dallas beat Houston for many reasons. one of the reasons was Aminu on Harden at key times in the game. Millsap can't do that. Thad can guard 1-4 legitimately.
Thad is a smaller version of Lamar Odom. Millsap is more of an undersized PF with enough agility to gaurd some SF and hit an open 3. Still good---but not the talent of Thad---and definitely not worth being payed like an allstar.
Millsap is a role player trying to get paid like he's something more.
Thad is getting paid what he's worth, and has proven he can be something more.
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#19 » by NOOB77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Amir Johnson is a free agent correct? He should be on the list.
riter
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by riter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:30 pm

NYKfan77 wrote:Amir Johnson is a free agent correct? He should be on the list.

this I can't get mad at. Amir Johnson is a starting role player that is getting paid like one.
But ask yourself this---considering the cap----would you choose Amir at 7mil or Amundson and Jason Smith at vet min.

I'd rather keep both J.Smith and Amundson than pay Amir $7mil---and he's probably looking for a raise at that.

Return to New York Knicks