ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks get Guillermo Hernangomez from Porzingis team in second round.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Re: Knicks get Guillermo Hernangomez from Porzingis team in second round. 

Post#301 » by knickstape21 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Workforce250 wrote:HernanGomez will be working out with Pau Gasol during Real Madrid's training camp, which is awesome.

http://dailyknicks.com/2015/08/22/knicks-willy-hernangomez-makes-spains-national-team/

Hernangomez will team with Pau Gasol, which makes for a very interesting storyline to follow. Knicks team president Phil Jackson and head coach Derek Fisher will likely advise Hernangomez to seek advice from Gasol, who’s a future Hall of Famer with ties to the duo.

Awesome. I'm really excited about Hernangomez. He has that craftiness to play in our system. Love the way he passes the ball as a big man. Literally going to be our "first" round pick next year.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#302 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:58 pm

knickstape21 wrote:
Workforce250 wrote:HernanGomez will be working out with Pau Gasol during Real Madrid's training camp, which is awesome.

http://dailyknicks.com/2015/08/22/knicks-willy-hernangomez-makes-spains-national-team/

Hernangomez will team with Pau Gasol, which makes for a very interesting storyline to follow. Knicks team president Phil Jackson and head coach Derek Fisher will likely advise Hernangomez to seek advice from Gasol, who’s a future Hall of Famer with ties to the duo.

Awesome. I'm really excited about Hernangomez. He has that craftiness to play in our system. Love the way he passes the ball as a big man. Literally going to be our "first" round pick next year.

Let's look back on this next draft. My bet is that Guillermo is doing to be a mid first to lotto type talent.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#303 » by BKlutch » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:06 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
knickstape21 wrote:

Let's look back on this next draft. My bet is that Guillermo is doing to be a mid first to lotto type talent.

He certainly is, and Phil got no props for taking him in this past draft at all. Because Phil knew we didn't have next year's pick (NOT Phil's fault at all), he did the next best thing, and didn't need to trade a valuable piece to get him. Awesome.

Now with RoLo, KOQ, Seraphin, and Hernangomez coming next year, does anybody think we needed to keep Cole Aldrich as a backup?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#304 » by TheBigBoss » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:50 pm

I love what Phil is doing. The problem with the Knicks going back to the Bernard King era and beyond is that they could never put another star player next to their current star. Do you know why that is? Because of our inability to develop our own role players, we had to overpay the role players of other teams to leave their team for ours, which eventually left us without the resources to get another star caliber player through FA (No money) or trade (overpaid role players dont get you star players in trades). Not to mention that we spent so many years making crappy decisions with draft picks or having no draft pick at all. Those days are gone folks, not only is keeping draft picks considered a top priority, but we have a pipeline of talent coming from the d league (i.e. Langston and Thanasis) and Europe (Willy Nilly). Instead of overpaying for players developed by other teams, we are laying the groundwork to keep finding guys on the cheap to run our system, while maintaining cap space for when that star player becomes available.

Anyways, it will be exciting to see how Willy develops, atleast next year we will have a young player to look forward to watching develop. It would be nice if he turns out to be a better player than whoever Toronto drafts.
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#305 » by mugzi » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:48 am

Agreed with everything you said, but please don't ever call him Willy Nilly again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#306 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:56 am

TheBigBoss wrote:I love what Phil is doing. The problem with the Knicks going back to the Bernard King era and beyond is that they could never put another star player next to their current star. Do you know why that is? Because of our inability to develop our own role players, we had to overpay the role players of other teams to leave their team for ours, which eventually left us without the resources to get another star caliber player through FA (No money) or trade (overpaid role players dont get you star players in trades). Not to mention that we spent so many years making crappy decisions with draft picks or having no draft pick at all. Those days are gone folks, not only is keeping draft picks considered a top priority, but we have a pipeline of talent coming from the d league (i.e. Langston and Thanasis) and Europe (Willy Nilly). Instead of overpaying for players developed by other teams, we are laying the groundwork to keep finding guys on the cheap to run our system, while maintaining cap space for when that star player becomes available.

Anyways, it will be exciting to see how Willy develops, atleast next year we will have a young player to look forward to watching develop. It would be nice if he turns out to be a better player than whoever Toronto drafts.

So according to what you said, we really needed to get Williams, O'Quinn, and maybe give Early a chance. One of them could develop into something. We think Grant and KP6 will, too. These will be our home grown guys who we can afford alongside a star.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

tape up
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#307 » by tape up » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:21 am

I was looking through some recently uploaded youtube vids of Willy and came across this from a game against Belgium.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rniC_wT5E1M[/youtube]

Pretty short video, but two things that caught my eye:
1) That super crisp pass out of the roll to the basket at :20 :nod:
2) And that difficult bank shot he made that came right after

Super stoked to see what this kid can develop into. Hoping for a Marc Gasol-esque type but Splitter also seems reasonable.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#308 » by Thorn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:22 am

mugzi wrote:Agreed with everything you said, but please don't ever call him Willy Nilly again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I agree with Mugzi on this one...

Nicknames I would like to suggest are as follows:

1) Big Willy -
From the Urban Dictionary -
a - Someone of elevated status or respect
"He thinks he's a big willy now that he's in college."
b - a large penis
Dude 1 : check out my big willy
Dude 2 : i feel shamed
c - Zack Rosen, The Male reproductive organ of enormous size and strength
Wow! Look at big willy's big willy, he's quite the pole vaulter!

Actually just Big Willy it just feels right.
giggitty
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,956

Post#309 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:27 am

big willy is looking cock diesel this summer.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#310 » by Thorn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:30 am

Ron Mexico wrote:big willy is looking cock diesel this summer.

LOL... exactly, exactly that.

This is why in my opinion it is the best Knick-name for him, the possibilities for fun in jokes an innuendo are nearly endless.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#311 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 am

BKlutch wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
knickstape21 wrote:

He certainly is, and Phil got no props for taking him in this past draft at all. Because Phil knew we didn't have next year's pick (NOT Phil's fault at all), he did the next best thing, and didn't need to trade a valuable piece to get him. Awesome.

Now with RoLo, KOQ, Seraphin, and Hernangomez coming next year, does anybody think we needed to keep Cole Aldrich as a backup?

I think this might have been Jackson's best move besides swinging for the fences on Porzingis. Another incremental step. He will be our 16 pick. I'm okay with that. I'm just waiting for a stable roster.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#312 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:38 am

TheBigBoss wrote:I love what Phil is doing. The problem with the Knicks going back to the Bernard King era and beyond is that they could never put another star player next to their current star. Do you know why that is? Because of our inability to develop our own role players, we had to overpay the role players of other teams to leave their team for ours, which eventually left us without the resources to get another star caliber player through FA (No money) or trade (overpaid role players dont get you star players in trades). Not to mention that we spent so many years making crappy decisions with draft picks or having no draft pick at all. Those days are gone folks, not only is keeping draft picks considered a top priority, but we have a pipeline of talent coming from the d league (i.e. Langston and Thanasis) and Europe (Willy Nilly). Instead of overpaying for players developed by other teams, we are laying the groundwork to keep finding guys on the cheap to run our system, while maintaining cap space for when that star player becomes available.

I hope this philosophy lasts. Build a solid foundation. Talent + stability = greatness.

BKlutch
RealGM

Post#313 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

I think this might have been Jackson's best move besides swinging for the fences on Porzingis. Another incremental step. He will be our 16 pick. I'm okay with that. I'm just waiting for a stable roster.

Yes, this may turn out to be his second best move after KP. Also, the two play well together, so it could be a doubly good move. But there have been other good moves: Trading Trash Jr. for Grant, stealing KOQ for a meaningless 2nd round pick swap, signing RoLo, even getting Afflalo (who plays well with Me7o), and others.

We've had so many improvements since last season. Or does anybody pine away for the twin towers of Jason Smith and Andrea Barfnani?

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#314 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:22 pm

BKlutch wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

Yes, this may turn out to be his second best move after KP. Also, the two play well together, so it could be a doubly good move. But there have been other good moves: Trading Trash Jr. for Grant, stealing KOQ for a meaningless 2nd round pick swap, signing RoLo, even getting Afflalo (who plays well with Me7o), and others.

We've had so many improvements since last season. Or does anybody pine away for the twin towers of Jason Smith and Andrea Barfnani?

Improvement is a tricky word because it's hard to get worse than the mess of last season. Winning 18 games is technically improvement. And I don't think anybody cared for Jason Smith and Bargnani when they were here. Did they even play together? The pre-Bargnani Knicks were still successful. Man, why trade for Bargnani? That was a kiss of death.

I just want a team that can compete in five years.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#315 » by BKlutch » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:43 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

Improvement is a tricky word because it's hard to get worse than the mess of last season. Winning 18 games is technically improvement. And I don't think anybody cared for Jason Smith and Bargnani when they were here. Did they even play together? The pre-Bargnani Knicks were still successful. Man, why trade for Bargnani? That was a kiss of death.

I just want a team that can compete in five years.

"Man, why trade for Bargnani?"

I think this is a disease of Billionaires. Prokhorov did this to the Nets, Dolan to the Knicks, and others have gone out to spend their money foolishly in the vain hope that they can control the NBA as easily as they do their own businesses where they earned their $$. They feel they can't fail because, after all, they succeeded so much in the business world

The same phenomenon causes athletes to be the worst pilots. They feel invincible, so they crash.

So Dolan finally wised up and hired a basketball expert. Is it possible he now understands he can't run the Knicks well? Let's hope so. That would mean, no more Bargs-style contracts.

Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#316 » by Downtown » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Blazers fan here. Just to let you know Hernangomez was on our boards radar a little bit before the draft. My way of thinking was that there weren't going to be any players drafted where the Blazers were that would be making a big impact next season so they should draft a high risk/high reward player like Willy since from what I've seen there's a ton of potential in a few years from him. Plus stashing him would free up cap space until he developed, especially given he was going to be playing in a top league in Europe.

I believe you guys made a real good selection that could pay big dividends at some point.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,441

Post#317 » by KnicksGod » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Where is he playing? Sorry been out of the loop of late, trying to catch up.
Pjax4Prez
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#318 » by Pjax4Prez » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:26 pm

I like the kid's game but scares me how he seems to be glued to the ground and stiff on defense when he can look fluid and smooth on offense. I think Phil hit the nail on the head when he made the Luis Scola comparison, just hope he can work on his defense and become a big that can protect the rim with good positioning because we can obviously see he won't be a shot-blocker.

With that being said, his offensive skill set rivals those of some of the top prospects in this draft without the athleticism.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,956

Post#319 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:37 pm

KnicksGod wrote:

Where is he playing? Sorry been out of the loop of late, trying to catch up.

spanish national team for FIBA
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#320 » by Workforce250 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Downtown wrote:Blazers fan here. Just to let you know Hernangomez was on our boards radar a little bit before the draft. My way of thinking was that there weren't going to be any players drafted where the Blazers were that would be making a big impact next season so they should draft a high risk/high reward player like Willy since from what I've seen there's a ton of potential in a few years from him. Plus stashing him would free up cap space until he developed, especially given he was going to be playing in a top league in Europe.

I believe you guys made a real good selection that could pay big dividends at some point.

Thanks Bro and hope you guys have a good season.

Return to New York Knicks