ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks frontrunners to sign Arron Afflalo

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Re: Knicks frontrunners to sign Arron Afflalo 

Post#261 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:36 pm

BigBennett2013 wrote:1.7ppg, 16.7% shooting in the playoffs, 12 million sounds about right

/thread
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#262 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:41 pm

If the Knicks sign Monroe for $16m, they'd have around $11m in cap space remaining. Whether they sign Afflalo for $8 or $11m would not make a big impact on how we fill out the roster. The reason you don't give him that deal is it hurts our cap space next year. So basically, it's going to take a lot of discipline on Phil's part if Afflalo is demanding the full $11m. Is Phil committed enough to the long-game to pass on a player who he feels would help the most this year, in order to improve our free agency position next summer?
Knicked_Up
Sixth Man
And1: 59

Post#263 » by Knicked_Up » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:05 pm

If we sign this guy for $12 mil a year than yea Isiah is back running things ha.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,357

Post#264 » by Iron Mantis » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:19 pm

FerreroRocherrr wrote:Image
Arron on RealGM like...

Melo you sick bast@#$...... you WOULD get a thrill out of others fantasizing to videos of, and actually getting it in with your wife.
sundazesb1
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#265 » by sundazesb1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:20 pm

This may seem crazy to some of you but let me know what you think. Honestly, I would rather have a player like Ben Gordon as a back up SG for 4.5 mill than spend anywhere near 12 mill for aaron. Although BG is older and hasn't really proven anything over the last couple years.. he's been on a bunch of sub par teams with sub par situations. I would love to have a knock down shooter like BG on the knicks to spread the floor, he's reliable if we gave him minutes off the bench. Aaron hasn't ever been that 2nd or sometimes even 3rd scoring option. BG was the 1 to 2 punch on the bulls when d rose was there. I could see jerian grant slashing and finding open shooters. BG is good in transition too, maybe not so much anymore but he hasn't lostit completely.

Thoughts?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,063

Post#266 » by Fat Kat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:21 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/615947173138567170[/tweet]
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,073

Post#267 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:25 pm

Fat Kat wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/615947173138567170[/tweet]

I can see where it's coming from. This goes along with what I said in the past about system players. When you play in the perfect system, is it you that's doing well or is it the system that's allowing you to do well? I'd still prefer Green over Afflalo but there is a point there. Draymond Green falls into a similar boat. If you take him away from the Warriors talented high octane system and put him in a half court system where he has to be relied on to be the guy, can he do it? The concerns are there. Can he create his own shot? Left to more of his own devices, will he still be able to get shots off at a similar clip? How good is he as an individual defender removed from the Spurs great team defense? Etc.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,073

Post#268 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:28 pm

sundazesb1 wrote:This may seem crazy to some of you but let me know what you think. Honestly, I would rather have a player like Ben Gordon as a back up SG for 4.5 mill than spend anywhere near 12 mill for aaron. Although BG is older and hasn't really proven anything over the last couple years.. he's been on a bunch of sub par teams with sub par situations. I would love to have a knock down shooter like BG on the knicks to spread the floor, he's reliable if we gave him minutes off the bench. Aaron hasn't ever been that 2nd or sometimes even 3rd scoring option. BG was the 1 to 2 punch on the bulls when d rose was there. I could see jerian grant slashing and finding open shooters. BG is good in transition too, maybe not so much anymore but he hasn't lostit completely.

Thoughts?

Gordon used to do real well at the Garden and he's a NY guy, always wanted to play back home with the Knicks. Like you said, he's been on the decline for some time and heading into age 33 he's not a starter anymore. The biggest problem (other than $4.5 million, unless you mean 2 years $4.5 million total) is that the Knicks need a starting caliber SG, not a backup combo guard...they've already got Galloway for that. Grant can also play that role. If they bring back Shved (who is younger and looked perfectly suited for the Triangle) he also can do that. There's only so many backup caliber combo guards that's needed.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#269 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:31 pm

If you are talking pure mid-range game where a lot of our triangle offense happens -- I think Afflalo fits mid-range better than guys like Mathews and Green. Not saying he's a better player but maybe a better fit in terms of where our SG shots will come from. Both Green/Mathews seem to shoot a larger % of 3-balls but not positive on that point.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,357

Post#270 » by Iron Mantis » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 pm

This guy is good at the MLE, nothing more. Give me Wade, Matthews, Green, Ellis, in that order.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#271 » by DrCoach » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:32 pm

aq_ua wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
aq_ua wrote:Hate to break it you but Tim Hardaway Jr is a better player than John Jenkins.

Hardaway-23 yrs old
Last season/Career
PER 12.1/12.4
TS%-51/53
3pt%-34/35
FG%-39/41

Jenkins-24 yrs old..in limited minutes
PER-15.9/12.7
TS-63%/58
3pt%-40%/38
FG%-50/45

Men Lie, Women Lie...Numbers Dont

And it's that sort of shallow thinking that gets Jeremy Lin a huge contract, but we both know small sample size means nothing...unless you also want to count the previous season as gospel? There is a reason why the Hawks felt compelled to trade a first round pick for Hardaway while letting Jenkins walk for nothing. I know, logic is a tough pill to swallow.

No, the shallow thinking is cutting Jeremy Lin thinking he cannot play and then have him Blow up another team losing an asset.

These are the same Hawks that felt compelled to draft Jenkins in the first round. Except that was done by Danny Ferry who constructed that 60 win team. Now the decisions are being made by someone else.

They didnt extend him because he had previous back surgery, facts are even a tougher pill to swallow
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#272 » by DrCoach » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm

moocow007 wrote:Regarding Jenkins vs. Hardaway...

The Hawks traded for Hardaway presumably because they value him in some manner. But as far as it being a sign that they prefer him over Jenkins? The Hawks, for whatever reason, renounced Jenkins rights quite some time ago. So at this point he's a free agent and they do not have any rights (restricted or otherwise) over him. As such, Jenkins can technically go anywhere and the Hawks would have no say about it. So trading for Hardaway doesn't necessarily mean they don't value him or that he's not better than Hardaway. It does mean that they now have a SG under contract for at least next season who's rights they own (in Hardaway) compared to a guy that is neither under contract nor whose rights they have (Jenkins).

Hardaway obviously has played more than Jenkins...in a shorter period of time. But Hardaway has been on awful teams where situation dictated that he would play more. Jenkins on the other hand has been on better teams, win now teams that limited the ease of transitioning him in. He also has had some poorly timed injuries that have prevented him from getting traction. If he was on the Knicks instead of Hardaway, I think he'd have gotten similar minutes and similar role that Hardaway had and likely produced. Jenkins is noted for being a terrific shooter, a high IQ guy and someone that knows how to play the game. He doesn't have the physical tools that Hardaway has.

FYI...both guys were drafted in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round of their respective drafts so it's not like Jenkins was some unknown or some 2nd rounder or some other castoff.

Having seen Jenkins play, assuming he can consistently do what he's done, continue to develop, I would prefer Jenkins. I think he has a clearer role and you can slot him better. Hardaway has more upside and raw talent.

I agree with you 100%,
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#273 » by DrCoach » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:36 pm

sundazesb1 wrote:This may seem crazy to some of you but let me know what you think. Honestly, I would rather have a player like Ben Gordon as a back up SG for 4.5 mill than spend anywhere near 12 mill for aaron. Although BG is older and hasn't really proven anything over the last couple years.. he's been on a bunch of sub par teams with sub par situations. I would love to have a knock down shooter like BG on the knicks to spread the floor, he's reliable if we gave him minutes off the bench. Aaron hasn't ever been that 2nd or sometimes even 3rd scoring option. BG was the 1 to 2 punch on the bulls when d rose was there. I could see jerian grant slashing and finding open shooters. BG is good in transition too, maybe not so much anymore but he hasn't lostit completely.

Thoughts?

Gordon is small and cant defend SG's

Im dont hate him but I would sign Gordon over giving lets say Meeks 20+mil like Det did
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#274 » by Dantares » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/zachlowe_nba/status/615947173138567170[/tweet]

I heard from Alan hahn on the radio that alot of what the Spurs do offensively is taken from the triangle offense. and i found this

http://projectspurs.com/2013-articles/phil-jackson-says-spurs-offense-is-similar-to-the-triangle.html

so i see this as a good thing. Maybe we can snatch him up for 9-10 million since other teams seem to be hesitant. his skills will translate very well for us compared to other teams that don't run a system offense.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

GetItDone
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#275 » by GetItDone » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:58 pm

I'd rather give Wade a 3-4 year deal worth around that than Afflalo..

what in the fack
ThatsWhatIShved wrote:Disrespectfull thread. I would take 06 Arenas over Lebron. Other than traveling and suspected PED use, what does Lebron have over Gil?
And100
Banned User
And1: 779

Post#276 » by And100 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:46 pm

Dantares wrote:

I heard from Alan hahn on the radio that alot of what the Spurs do offensively is taken from the triangle offense. and i found this

http://projectspurs.com/2013-articles/phil-jackson-says-spurs-offense-is-similar-to-the-triangle.html

so i see this as a good thing. Maybe we can snatch him up for 9-10 million since other teams seem to be hesitant. his skills will translate very well for us compared to other teams that don't run a system offense.

I don't care if you're running the Triangle or the Stanky Legg, Green hits 3's with a little space very well. Does it really how the ball got to him if it gets to him and he has a couple of seconds/feet to get his shot off?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,063

Post#277 » by Fat Kat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:56 pm

GetItDone wrote:I'd rather give Wade a 3-4 year deal worth around that than Afflalo..

what in the fack

I'd rather give that money to Lebron.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,177

Post#278 » by aq_ua » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:05 pm

DrCoach wrote:
aq_ua wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Hardaway-23 yrs old
Last season/Career
PER 12.1/12.4
TS%-51/53
3pt%-34/35
FG%-39/41

Jenkins-24 yrs old..in limited minutes
PER-15.9/12.7
TS-63%/58
3pt%-40%/38
FG%-50/45

Men Lie, Women Lie...Numbers Dont

And it's that sort of shallow thinking that gets Jeremy Lin a huge contract, but we both know small sample size means nothing...unless you also want to count the previous season as gospel? There is a reason why the Hawks felt compelled to trade a first round pick for Hardaway while letting Jenkins walk for nothing. I know, logic is a tough pill to swallow.

No, the shallow thinking is cutting Jeremy Lin thinking he cannot play and then have him Blow up another team losing an asset.

These are the same Hawks that felt compelled to draft Jenkins in the first round. Except that was done by Danny Ferry who constructed that 60 win team. Now the decisions are being made by someone else.

They didnt extend him because he had previous back surgery, facts are even a tougher pill to swallow

Jeremy Lin...asset...funny stuff.

Yes - he had back surgery in early 2014, but he came back with plenty of time to make an assessment of whether he was worth the team option. The team decided he wasn't. Simple as that. Facts are an even a toughiest pill to swallow.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#279 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:16 pm

As much as I don't like the idea of giving AA 12 mill, I'd rather give it to him than Danny Green personally.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#280 » by malik959 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 12:02 am

ag3 wrote:Greg Monroe is a very realistic free agent who is 24yrs. old and puts up 16 and 10.
If Aldridge is not doable, Monroe is a must.

I'd rather have Harris than Monroe, better defense, more athletic.

Return to New York Knicks