ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Shumper returns to Cavs 4 x 40

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 633

Re: Shumper returns to Cavs 4 x 40 

Post#21 » by Governor Dudley » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:34 am

spikeslovechild wrote:How awful was that Shumpert and JR trade? Not only did we get nothing for the 10 million dollar man but also the key player who we wanted to dump salary OPTED OUT and is likely due for a significant RAISE.

Talk about misjudging the market.

Oh and that Chandler deal keeps getting better and better. Stuck us with a stiff in Calderon with a terrible contract for an expiring 22 PER player. Oh and lets not forget Timmy who according to most here was an untouchable only two years ago, when x superstar came available everybody was like lets design a trade but we can't give up Tiny Tim. Now everybody riding Phils _ because he moved him for a late first.

Lets not forget Porzingis either. I mean there was a time when players who were two years away were selected in the late first round and stashed in Europe. But oh no thats not the Knicks. We are going to sign him and have him rot on the bench for the next two years so even in the off chance he ends up being good we'll only see a couple of those years under his rookie deal.

Damn bro, you alright?
beasonu
Starter
And1: 830

Post#22 » by beasonu » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:50 am

40 million to a guy that can't shoot, can't penetrate, can't finish, can't pass, lost a step, gets beat off the ball all the time, has a lack of love for the game and sucks. Man oh man. He's an overrated KJ McDaniels to sum it up.

The funniest part is he almost got a bigger deal than Danny Green who is 20 times the player he is.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#23 » by N8isScofield » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:45 am

All of Lebron's friends get overpaid. That's how it works when your boy is GM.
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#24 » by MrProb » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:50 am

spikeslovechild wrote:How awful was that Shumpert and JR trade? Not only did we get nothing for the 10 million dollar man but also the key player who we wanted to dump salary OPTED OUT and is likely due for a significant RAISE.

Oh and that Chandler deal keeps getting better and better. Stuck us with a stiff in Calderon with a terrible contract for an expiring 22 PER player. Oh and lets not forget Timmy who according to most here was an untouchable only two years ago, when x superstar came available everybody was like lets design a trade but we can't give up Tiny Tim. Now everybody riding Phils _ because he moved him for a late first.

Lets not forget Porzingis either. I mean there was a time when players who were two years away were selected in the late first round and stashed in Europe. But oh no thats not the Knicks. We are going to sign him and have him rot on the bench for the next two years so even in the off chance he ends up being good we'll only see a couple of those years under his rookie deal.

Oh lord ... have mercy on this man.
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#25 » by FKF » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:25 am

What's up with the crazy deals this year?

Is the salary cap going to double ?
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#26 » by KnicksScholar24 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:16 am

I was SHOCKED when I heard this!

Shumpert is not worth half of that. Maybe not even a third of that. But I guess with the cap spiking over the next two years, that deal isn't viewed as bad.

Iman is an overrated defender (only decent at man-to-man d) who is a career 40% shooter. He is a player who hasn't improved since he's gotten in the league. His poor showing in the Finals apparently didn't do anything to hurt his value.

The only bad news for Shumpert (drafted 17th in 2011 draft) is that he didn't get a $95 million contract like Jimmy Butler (drafted 30th in the same year) did. Both players were rated pretty close to each other in their rookie season, but Shumpert's poor off-season work ethic (for basketball, not rapping) cost him $50 million.

Contracts are expected to get even more ridiculous over the next two seasons. Since the cap is so high, no team really needs to worry about any potential albatross contract that the Knicks had to deal with the past decade and a half.

I had a hard time today adjusting to the new reality of the NBA. I can even judge what is a good deal anymore.

Mediocre players are get 70+ million deals. The deals have been so crazy (and it's been mostly their own teams drastically "overpaying" them) that the market value for an average player is what a star player would have been worth 4-5 years ago. There is certainly a "bubble" brewing here. Hopefully the second day of free agency will calm things down.

I was also shocked that the Cavs were able to keep Mozgov, Love, and Thompson. In the past, they probably would have had to give up one or two of those guys. Expiring contracts, like Joe Johnson's, next season wouldn't even be that big of an asset because of this reason.

The teams with legitimate cap space (like the Knicks, Lakers, Mavs) could be out in the cold because there are so many teams willing to overpay to keep their own players, since there is no longer term penalty (until said player becomes completely useless), which may have prevent teams in the past from going over the cap to retain their own guys. Teams like the Spurs have a drastic advantage over large-available-cap-space teams (like L.A. & N.Y.), all things being equal, in terms of have a max salary slot available.

Today marked the beginning of a new day in the NBA.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#27 » by KnicksScholar24 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:18 am

A person who can see the reality of Phil Jackson and the Knicks organization.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
Rock Bottom
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#28 » by Rock Bottom » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:23 am

doesnt really matter what all you guys think he shoulda been paid this whole time youve been complaining about him

all that matters is reality , and reality is he was traded for nothing
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#29 » by Thorn » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:56 am

stopstandthere wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/616390650553044992[/tweet]

Good for him, can not hate on a man getting a paycheck. The Cavs think he is worth the money, they made him and offer. He accepted that kind offer, and I think that is great for him and his family.

That said he is not a Knick so I don't much care about him either way, he is dead to me.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#30 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:06 pm

I wonder if this contact makes JR jealous. He took all those paycuts here and will probably get lowballed this year too.

We all remember how he acted when Lin got payed.
Damas
Starter
And1: 1,923

Post#31 » by Damas » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:40 pm

One of the best posts I seen in a good while. Broke the Knicks incompetence down to a t.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,966

Re: OT: Shumper returns to Cavs 4 x 40 

Post#32 » by knicks94 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:56 pm

When I first saw this story I thought it came from one of those fake Twitter accounts! I don't even think Isiah Thomas would have been stupid enough to sign this scrub to even 4 years at 20 million.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#33 » by BeagleBoss » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:01 pm

I think is the worst contract in the league. Shumpert is a minimum salary type player. James Johnson is a better player.
H_20
RealGM
And1: 769

Post#34 » by H_20 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is it that the Cavs see in this guy???

Can't shoot, can't dribble,can't defend.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#35 » by BeagleBoss » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:30 pm

H_20 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is it that the Cavs see in this guy???

Can't shoot, can't dribble,can't defend.

He can defend and that's why he got that crazy contract but he's not a shutdown defender at all. And his poor skills in every other area makes his D meaningless imo. You can sign someone like Dahntay Jones to do the exact same thing for the minimum.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#36 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:31 pm

Glad for Shump. Even gladder for Phil not overpaying for marginal talent.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#37 » by jstudabaka » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:46 pm

Eh, that's not really fair. A major point of the Shump/JR trade was to blow it up to tank and get a high draft pick, which was a good, decisive move. If we wouldn't have gotten screwed by the ping-pong balls, we'd have Towns, Okafor, or Russel. Shump got 10 mil and JR opted out... but that's after half a year of playing with Lebron. Teams should realize that obviously their renaissance is owing to that fact. I mean, he used to make Delonte West look decent. Chandler... he was injured a good part of the year before he was traded and had been mediocre for quite a bit otherwise. Teams weren't exactly banging down the door with better offers.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#38 » by Jose7 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:08 pm

and he still can't make a layup...
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#39 » by MelosSoreWrist » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:37 am

N8isScofield wrote:All of Lebron's friends get overpaid. That's how it works when your boy is GM.

Basically... LBJ is going to be opt out and be a free agent every year so that the team pays to keep or sign every player he wants. Owners wont be able to cheap out and avoid penalty if they want to keep the LBJ cashcow on the team.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#40 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:49 am

jstudabaka wrote:

Eh, that's not really fair. A major point of the Shump/JR trade was to blow it up to tank and get a high draft pick, which was a good, decisive move. If we wouldn't have gotten screwed by the ping-pong balls, we'd have Towns, Okafor, or Russel. Shump got 10 mil and JR opted out... but that's after half a year of playing with Lebron. Teams should realize that obviously their renaissance is owing to that fact. I mean, he used to make Delonte West look decent. Chandler... he was injured a good part of the year before he was traded and had been mediocre for quite a bit otherwise. Teams weren't exactly banging down the door with better offers.

Most teams manage to get assets while tanking. We get Jose Calderon.

Now you want the same guy who bungled three seperate trades to be handing out contracts that will determine the course of the franchise for five to six years? Sorry but Phil jackson is one hell of coach but as GM he leaves alot to be desired.

Now I'm reading we are offering Robin Lopez 13 million. Sigh.

Return to New York Knicks