ImageImageImageImageImage

The Phil Files: Inside the Mind of Jackson

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,271

Re: The Phil Files: Inside the Mind of Jackson 

Post#261 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:10 pm

And100 wrote:Why isn't the Knicks first round draft pick (#4) who isn't any younger than the first 6 of the 7 picks and who played in a more competitive professional environment last year starting again?

Skinny, white thing, right?

Because the season hasn't started yet.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#262 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:11 pm

And100 wrote:Why isn't the Knicks first round draft pick (#4) who isn't any younger than the first 6 of the 7 picks and who played in a more competitive professional environment last year starting again?

and how do you know who is starting or why, Ms Chloe?
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#263 » by knickstape21 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:13 pm

I like the idea of Williams playing with O'Quinn and Grant. Those 2 find cutters really well and I believe that is one of Williams' best trait, which is moving without the ball.

I also don't believe Williams is a 15 and 8 type of guy, but if he's committed to playing hard and trying on defense, I do believe he could provide us with something. Big plays and get the crowd going. He has a chance. Just wish he would cut those chicken fries off his head! Lol
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#264 » by Fury » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 pm

One of the keys to team building for the Warriors is getting versatile bench players who can play multiple positions. Assuming we start Calderon, Afflalo, Melo, Porzingis, and Lopez, coming off the bench we have two 1/2 in Galloway and Grant, a 3/4 in Derrick Williams, a 4/5 in O'Quinn, and swing men in Early and Thanisis. Vujacic can also guard 3 positions.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,271

Post#265 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Even if Williams doesn't pan out, then he's on a short term/cheap deal and will be gone soon. He got backup player money. It was a low risk move. He probably won't work out, but I like taking the idea of taking a chance on a young guy like that. And really he just needs to be a solid bench guy to give us 15 to 20 good min a game and it'll be a good deal for us.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,063

Post#266 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:19 pm

It's pretty clear that Jackson put a contingency on Williams saying he 'hopes' that he can get back to starter status, not that anything is going to be given him. I have no concerns that Williams will be unduly given a starting spot ahead of players who may beat him out for it. Jackson just has hopes for him, we all do to some degree, for me it's just don't suck and play defense.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,128

Post#267 » by moocow007 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:21 pm

As far as who the other starting forward should be? Hard to say...neither O'Quinn nor Williams were offered/given starter money. So it's not clear from that standpoint, of the two, who would the early favorite is. There's also no guarantee that it's either guy. It looks like the Knicks are not going to be babying Porzingis. And it's obvious Porzingis is leagues more important to this team than either O'Quinn or Williams. So it is quite possible IMO that Porzingis get the starting role (so he can experience it first hand), be told to go out and play and if he gets into foul trouble then they have 2 able guys to step in and back him up. I think any of these 3 can be the starting "other forward" next to Anthony.
And100
Banned User
And1: 779

Post#268 » by And100 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:23 pm

stuporman wrote:

Sure he was in a pro league last season with stiffer competition but he was playing about 20mpg on sched that was only about a game a week. To expect that he would one season later come into an even tougher and faster league where they play 3 or 4 times a week to play starter mins as a starter is unreasonable to say the least.

...and why the race bait comment? You have no real substance to offer so stoop to that? Give it a rest.

Karl Anthony Towns played 21.1m per in 39 games played between 11-14-14 and 4-4-15 (4 months, 3 weeks).

Porzingis played 21.4m per in 50 games (Eurocup and Liga ACB) played between 10-4-2014 and 5-24-2015, with 37 of those games played between 10-4 and 2-14 (4 months, 1 week), with the additional 13 played between 3-1 and 5-24.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/pgl_euro.cgi?player_id=kristaps-porzingis-1&year_id=2015&lg_id=SPA

http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/pgl_euro.cgi?player_id=kristaps-porzingis-1&year_id=2015&lg_id=ECP

Why is Towns more prepared to start than Porzingis?
And100
Banned User

Post#269 » by And100 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:26 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:

No, I don't. The question is to the people arguing Derick Williams will and should start?

Again, there'd be no question Towns would be the assumed (if not confirmed) starter had he been the pick, or Okafor or Mudiay or Russell for that matter.

Yet there is a PERCEPTION Porzingis is less prepared, therefore we're NOT making the same assumption we would about him as we would about just about any other #4 pick.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#270 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:30 pm

And100 wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Sure he was in a pro league last season with stiffer competition but he was playing about 20mpg on sched that was only about a game a week. To expect that he would one season later come into an even tougher and faster league where they play 3 or 4 times a week to play starter mins as a starter is unreasonable to say the least.

...and why the race bait comment? You have no real substance to offer so stoop to that? Give it a rest.

Karl Anthony Towns played 21.1m per in 39 games played between 11-14-14 and 4-4-15 (4 months, 3 weeks).

Porzingis played 21.4m per in 50 games (Eurocup and Liga ACB) played between 10-4-2014 and 5-24-2015, with 37 of those games played between 10-4 and 2-14 (4 months, 1 week), with the additional 13 played between 3-1 and 5-24.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/pgl_euro.cgi?player_id=kristaps-porzingis-1&year_id=2015&lg_id=SPA

http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/pgl_euro.cgi?player_id=kristaps-porzingis-1&year_id=2015&lg_id=ECP

He may not be, it could be that some people are just assuming he is and typically big men aren't prepared to be starters from the get go. Though eventually it may prove to be that he is but right now we don't know.

Why are you so intent on using the possibility that he won't be or expected to be as a criticism?
Image?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,051

Post#271 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:33 pm

And100 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:

No, I don't. The question is to the people arguing Derick Williams will and should start?

Again, there'd be no question Towns would be the assumed (if not confirmed) starter had he been the pick, or Okafor or Mudiay or Russell for that matter.

Yet there is a PERCEPTION Porzingis is less prepared, therefore we're NOT making the same assumption we would about him as we would about just about any other #4 pick.

I don't think the conversation is "Derrick Williams will and should start". I think the conversation is "If Williams starts, what does that look like and what can we expect?"
And100
Banned User

Post#272 » by And100 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:35 pm

stuporman wrote:
And100 wrote:
stuporman wrote:

He may not be, it could be that some people are just assuming he is and typically big men aren't prepared to be starters from the get go. Why are you so intent on using the possibility that he won't be or expected to be as a criticism?

Less of a criticism and more of an open question/observation. You yourself offered somewhat faulty reasoning/data about how often they play in Europe to justify a perception no one really has about NCAA players.

By the rational you offered, Town is LESS NBA-prepared than Porzingas. You don't find that dichotomy of perception at least noteworthy?

I do.
And100
Banned User

Post#273 » by And100 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:36 pm

GONYK wrote:
And100 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:and how do you know who is starting or why, Ms Chloe?

I don't think the conversation is "Derrick Williams will and should start". I think the conversation is "If Williams starts, what does that look like and what can we expect?"

I still find the notion of entertaining anyone but the #4 pick of the draft who happens to be a power forward odd.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#274 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:37 pm

And100 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:

The question really should be who are these people arguing that Williams will and should start... cause I don't see them.
Image?
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#275 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:41 pm

And100 wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Expectation. Towns doesn't have any pressure to succeed right away. The Wolves are fine with another lottery season. The Knicks are in dicey territory if that happens. Phil needs to bring along KP. The NBA is about more than minutes or ability. There are a lot of marketing and political factors as well.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,433

Post#276 » by JXL » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:42 pm

stuporman wrote:
And100 wrote:

The question really should be who are these people arguing that Williams will and should start... cause i don't see them.

Seriously, Phil said he's hopeful to become a starter, he's not guaranteed to start. Has to prove it in training camp.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,038

Post#277 » by Capn'O » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:43 pm

And100 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
And100 wrote:

I still find the notion of entertaining anyone but the #4 pick of the draft who happens to be a power forward odd.

Why? Jackson himself (in the previous Phil files) suggested 20 min was a likely target at season's beginning. Hopefully to build from there. Those aren't starters' minutes.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
stuporman
RealGM

Post#278 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:44 pm

And100 wrote:
stuporman wrote:
And100 wrote:

He may not be, it could be that some people are just assuming he is and typically big men aren't prepared to be starters from the get go. Why are you so intent on using the possibility that he won't be or expected to be as a criticism?

Less of a criticism and more of an open question/observation. You yourself offered somewhat faulty reasoning/data about how often they play in Europe to justify a perception no one really has about NCAA players.

By the rational you offered, Town is LESS NBA-prepared than Porzingas. You don't find that dichotomy of perception at least noteworthy?

I do.

I find that there is a very common perspective derived from many years of experience that rookies, even ones from the NCAA, hit a rookie wall because they aren't ready for the rigors of an NBA schedule. This tells me that most don't have the seemingly dichotomous perception you appear to think is more pervasive than it really is.

Also, I didn't offer that reasoning dichotomy you are painting me in but I guess you would have to if you had any hope to have a credible point.
Image?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,051

Post#279 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Capn'O wrote:
And100 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Why? Jackson himself (in the previous Phil files) suggested 20 min was a likely target at season's beginning. Hopefully to build from there. Those aren't starters' minutes.

I think it has to do with Williams being mentioned as a potential starter in today's article and KP wasn't. We're just discussing what came out today.
And100
Banned User

Post#280 » by And100 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:46 pm

stuporman wrote:
And100 wrote:

The question really should be who are these people arguing that Williams will and should start... cause i don't see them.

Perhaps I misread the context, which stuck me the last few pages as discussing the merits of Williams playing along Melo and/or as a starter.

If I was mistaken, I find it interesting your response was to in fact try to justify why Porzingis might not start, which was in fact the crux of my post.

Return to New York Knicks