ImageImageImageImageImage

What is keeping us from signing N'dour?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#181 » by El Poochio » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Athleticism/Length A
Energy/Hustle A-
Mobility A+
Defensive Awareness B
Shot Blocking A
Def. Rebounding B-
Off.Rebounding A
Shooting for a big man A-
Hands C
Passing B
Offensive Awareness B+
Making occasional wtf are you doing oooh what a move off the dribble A+
Cool and fun teammate A

Lets see how those grades will change in an actual NBA floor ¡!
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,062

Re: What is keeping us from signing N'dour? 

Post#182 » by stuporman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:06 pm

riter wrote:Can NDour guard NBA small forwards?
Can anyone give an objective answer yet?

I can give a subjective answer... yes.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
El Poochio

Ynt: Re: What is keeping us from signing N'dour? 

Post#183 » by El Poochio » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:07 pm

riter wrote:Can NDour guard NBA small forwards?
Can anyone give an objective answer yet?

He may be too lanky for that imo, but people here think he can due to his quickness, athleticism and length.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,062

Post#184 » by stuporman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:11 pm

That's a new one for me... a guy being too lanky. Hm
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#185 » by el13adnino » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:12 pm

i dont see any ndour news
:crazy:
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,274

Re: Re: 

Post#186 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:James Dolan owns the Knicks

You probably don't know anything about who holds stock in Cablevision or MSG, do you?

Dolan has a very small share of both. They are each publicly traded companies. MSG was spun off from Cablevision years ago.

Dolan does not technically "own" the Knicks at all. He is the defacto leader because of his historical and continuing role as the top man on the totem pole.

For Dolan to lose control would require a takeover and/or a board vote at MSG to fire him. If it hasn't happened yet, I'd only expect change if a major takeover of MSG happened, but that's kind of hard to do with ownership of the company spread across dozens of hedge and equity funds.

NO. Dolan is not the true owner of the Knicks. He's the presiding kingpin of MSG's corporate structure. We just call him the owner because we're used to saying that.

He could lose control of the Knicks and he'd still have the Cablevision job, but guess what? He holds a tiny stock position there too.

What we don't know is whether or not any of the listed shareholders of either entity are de facto ownership positions held by Dolan. In which case, he could own significantly more than the current shareholder information indicates if he is in fact the person behind any of those fund positions.

He may not technically "own" the Knicks, but for all intent and purposes he pretty much does. I am sure if you traced everything out the Dolans have the majority of shares.

You're wrong.

% of Shares Held by All Insider and 5% Owners: 4%
% of Shares Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners: 93%
% of Float Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners: 96%
Number of Institutions Holding Shares: 208

The top institutual/fund holders are well-recognized names that cannot be shell companies to shield Dolan's name and hide his link to the assets.

Dolan may own a tiny bit more than what is directly owned by him in name, but if he has a shell company out of any of those 208 institutions, he would still only be holding another percent or two of MSG at best.

Basically, Dolan owns about 3% of MSG, maybe 4-5% if he has a shell, but the majority is well-accounted for in the public record.
ImageImageImage
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,958

Post#187 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Why people are afraid of giving a guaranteed contract if its vet min its even better if Dolan lose some money maybe the cumulative effect will be him selling the team 20 years later

Only explanation we didnt offer him a guaranteed vet min yet is we are pursuing the likes of fookin Willie Green or Boozer the Loser ugh

that's all well and good, except a GM's job is to avoid losing money whenever possible.

REALGMs can use monopoly money.

That's not the prime directive. NBA GM's are not operating on Warren Buffet's principles. And every owner has a different outlook on expenditures largely based on where their cashflow comes from. So whereas most owners have legit constraints on their costs, Dolan is one of the exceptions to the rule of judicious spending. You know that. We all know that. Phil's decisions are not going to be dictated by cost. If it is a factor, it is not close to being a primary one.

Cap management matters, especially with luxury tax, but if a player doesn't pan out, Dolan doesn't lose sleep over lost money.

dolan has definitely shown a willingness to spare no expense when it comes to the team. that's the one thing folks can't really knock him for.

i mean it still makes more fiscal sense to operate responsibly if accomplishing the same task. if all of the players can be signed or retained without exceeding the cap at all, why not do that? regardless of the situation, i would think that to be option #1. of course, the knicks aren't going to let that get in the way of getting a player they want or not. but why not see if we can spend as neatly as possible first?

why should dolan lose money he doesn't have to? that's all i'm saying.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#188 » by BallSacBounce » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:14 pm

el13adnino wrote:i dont see any ndour news

We're keeping this one in-house.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,958

Post#189 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
You probably don't know anything about who holds stock in Cablevision or MSG, do you?

Dolan has a very small share of both. They are each publicly traded companies. MSG was spun off from Cablevision years ago.

Dolan does not technically "own" the Knicks at all. He is the defacto leader because of his historical and continuing role as the top man on the totem pole.

For Dolan to lose control would require a takeover and/or a board vote at MSG to fire him. If it hasn't happened yet, I'd only expect change if a major takeover of MSG happened, but that's kind of hard to do with ownership of the company spread across dozens of hedge and equity funds.

NO. Dolan is not the true owner of the Knicks. He's the presiding kingpin of MSG's corporate structure. We just call him the owner because we're used to saying that.

He could lose control of the Knicks and he'd still have the Cablevision job, but guess what? He holds a tiny stock position there too.

What we don't know is whether or not any of the listed shareholders of either entity are de facto ownership positions held by Dolan. In which case, he could own significantly more than the current shareholder information indicates if he is in fact the person behind any of those fund positions.

He may not technically "own" the Knicks, but for all intent and purposes he pretty much does. I am sure if you traced everything out the Dolans have the majority of shares.

You're wrong.

% of Shares Held by All Insider and 5% Owners: 4%
% of Shares Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners: 93%
% of Float Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners: 96%
Number of Institutions Holding Shares: 208

The top institutual/fund holders are well-recognized names that cannot be shell companies to shield Dolan's name and hide his link to the assets.

Dolan may own a tiny bit more than what is directly owned by him in name, but if he has a shell company out of any of those 208 institutions, he would still only be holding another percent or two of MSG at best.

Basically, Dolan owns about 3% of MSG, maybe 4-5% if he has a shell, but the majority is well-accounted for in the public record.

well done
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#190 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:

that's all well and good, except a GM's job is to avoid losing money whenever possible.

REALGMs can use monopoly money.

That's not the prime directive. NBA GM's are not operating on Warren Buffet's principles. And every owner has a different outlook on expenditures largely based on where their cashflow comes from. So whereas most owners have legit constraints on their costs, Dolan is one of the exceptions to the rule of judicious spending. You know that. We all know that. Phil's decisions are not going to be dictated by cost. If it is a factor, it is not close to being a primary one.

Cap management matters, especially with luxury tax, but if a player doesn't pan out, Dolan doesn't lose sleep over lost money.

dolan has definitely shown a willingness to spare no expense when it comes to the team. that's the one thing folks can't really knock him for.

i mean it still makes more fiscal sense to operate responsibly if accomplishing the same task. if all of the players can be signed or retained without exceeding the cap at all, why not do that? regardless of the situation, i would think that to be option #1. of course, the knicks aren't going to let that get in the way of getting a player they want or not. but why not see if we can spend as neatly as possible first?

why should dolan lose money he doesn't have to? that's all i'm saying.

That said, nothing about fiscal prudence is likely going to be a factor in whether they get N'Dour or not. If anything, it would be their inability to offer more due to cap constraints and another team having more available spending power at this particular moment. Phil may have boxed himself in with his contracts to Lance and Lou, but I'm not Kosmo so ask him about all that.
ImageImageImage
captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Post#191 » by captvict » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Goodness...I hope the news was legit and not a nasty troll.....this would be exciting...as just having him out on the floor as a "lockdown" defender no matter what position would be great....I think he is even quick enough to defend some guards
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#192 » by Johnny Hoops » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Derek Fisher at the NBA draft combine - asked Knicks' biggest need: Love for competition, that’s our biggest

I think Ndour along with the likes of Lou, Lance, Kris, Jerian, Galloway, RoLo, KOQ, AA and Pyscho T (Greek) fit this mold.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#193 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Thorn wrote:
And100 wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Why people are afraid of giving a guaranteed contract if its vet min its even better if Dolan lose some money maybe the cumulative effect will be him selling the team 20 years later

Is this hyperbole or do people around here really think James Dolan owns the Knicks?

Well, I mean technically the team is owned by Cablevision & ITT (50/50 split), his father founded cablevision and he has a lot of their stock... so he is technically an owner.

His son is the primary manager, chairman of MSG, and he supervises day to day operations of the New York Knicks, the New York Rangers, the New York Liberty, and the Hartford Wolf Pack. He also supervises day to day operations on their regional sports networks, which include MSG Network and MSG Plus. He is also a governor of the Knicks and Rangers to the NBA and NHL respectively.

I am sure Jimmy D owns stock in his dad's company... but I am splitting hairs here in saying he is not THE owner he is AN owner... really though his daddy and whomever has the supervoting shares of ITT are the actually owners. They just gave him the keys to the kingdom

Technically... I think.

How can you say that? MSG and Cablevision are two different publicly traded companies. Their ownership structure is easily obtained online. He is NOT technically the owner. Completely False. He is an executive at two corporations with a very small relative stake in each. That those stakes are worth a fortune is irrelevant. Dolan can be replaced at both companies with a board vote. That may never happen, so he may still be the most powerful guy for now, but he is just a shareholder and an employee, not the owner.

And where do you get this idea that Cablevision controls MSG? They spun off MSG years ago. Get with the program.
ImageImageImage
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,442

Post#194 » by KnicksGod » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:30 pm

He seemed to lose confidence in his shot as SL went on. But the motion/accuracy/stroke are there.
El Poochio

Post#195 » by El Poochio » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:31 pm

DOLAN IS NOT AN OWNER BUT A CABLE GUY CAN WE CLOSE THAT CASE ALREADY GIVE SOME LOOVE TO MAURICE THE PEACE
MeloNY
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#196 » by MeloNY » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Excellent news. Welcome aboard N'dour!
captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Post#197 » by captvict » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:37 pm

MeloNY wrote:Excellent news. Welcome aboard N'dour!

I wouldnt jump yet...I'm having trouble finding anything solid on the web...
makeitstop
General Manager
And1: 2,274

Post#198 » by makeitstop » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:48 pm

captvict wrote:

That Tweet might be based on the NY Post article Riter posted last night:

"Grant represents part of the internal paperwork the Knicks face in upcoming days. They will sign their rookies, including Kristaps Porzingis, plus Lou Amundson (1-year, $1.65 million) and finalize a deal with summer league find Maurice Ndour (likely a make good contract)."

http://nypost.com/2015/07/21/dont-expect-pablo-prigioni-back-in-new-york-even-with-the-nets/
'Every night ending in 'Y' is a rock fight when you're playing the New York Knicks.' - World Wide Wob
El Poochio

Ynt: Re: What is keeping us from signing N'dour? 

Post#199 » by El Poochio » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:03 pm

makeitstop wrote:
captvict wrote:

That Tweet might be based on the NY Post article Riter posted last night:

"Grant represents part of the internal paperwork the Knicks face in upcoming days. They will sign their rookies, including Kristaps Porzingis, plus Lou Amundson (1-year, $1.65 million) and finalize a deal with summer league find Maurice Ndour (likely a make good contract)."

http://nypost.com/2015/07/21/dont-expect-pablo-prigioni-back-in-new-york-even-with-the-nets/

Yeah not any evidence besides that comment inside the Prigioni article

Gotta NDOUR the nervous waiting longer keep the wheels of the wagon greased for Maurice
riter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,531

Post#200 » by riter » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:07 pm

ok, so I was on board when I saw his motor , his athletism, and his defensive insticts on the SL team.
But I didn't see this video of him at Ohio. His jumper is an integral part of his game. even though he is taller, quicker, and more athletic than anyone else in this video---he's still pulling up as if it's second nature.
His range is legit.
Lasts year at Ohio University:34.9 mins per, 16.0 ppg, 48.4% FGs, 43.5% from 3, 78.5% FTs, 8.3 rpg, 2.3 blks, 1.1 stls

but check out the jumper---especially off the dribble(and love the music)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4tdULCNvYE[/youtube]

Return to New York Knicks