ImageImageImageImageImage

Krisp - Jason Smith and Dirk Comparatives

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Crazy8s
Junior
And1: 1,066

Krisp - Jason Smith and Dirk Comparatives 

Post#1 » by Crazy8s » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:07 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i6nmiEzlNU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,765

Re: Krisp - Jason Smith and Dirk Comparatives 

Post#2 » by HerSports85 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:59 am

great video
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,733

Post#3 » by JBreezeNY » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:36 am

Y'all gotta chill with these comparisons mayne.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#4 » by RHODEY » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:54 am

Crazy8s wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i6nmiEzlNU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

LOL at the wet behind the ears neophyte Dirk. There is no way you could predict that he would become the leader he now is on the court. Hope Zinger can develop similarly.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,887

Post#5 » by DaGawd » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:03 am

JBreezeNY wrote:Y'all gotta chill with these comparisons mayne.

Facts.. It's so damn hard tho for us. First time in forever we've had a promising young talent
BaF
Washington Wizards
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,222

Post#6 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:10 am

Thanks, that was cool.

LOL, 100 days left, fukking BS

Godzinga is going to break out faster than Dirk did. Kid has the mind of a veteran already. Very exciting to have a guy like this. We lucked out.
ImageImageImage
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,887

Post#7 » by DaGawd » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:15 am

Clyde_Style wrote:Thanks, that was cool.

Godzinga is going to break out faster than Dirk did. Kid has the mind of a veteran already. Very exciting to have a guy like this. We lucked out.

That's unrealistic expectations.. It only took Dirk 1 season to figure it out really. I'm not betting my house on Porzingis being a borderline all star in his first season..
BaF
Washington Wizards
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,222

Post#8 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:27 am

DaGawd wrote:

That's unrealistic expectations.. It only took Dirk 1 season to figure it out really. I'm not betting my house on Porzingis being a borderline all star in his first season..

Not saying All-Star, only that I expect him to contribute quickly.
ImageImageImage
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#9 » by RHODEY » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:31 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

Not saying All-Star, only that I expect him to contribute quickly.

It looks like he is closer skills wise but somewhat less physically ready than Dirk. That being said ,strength can be gained rather quickly and he has atleast 2 months to do so before the season begins.
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#10 » by KnicksScholar24 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:28 am

Ok, lets say Porzingis can hit the free throw jumper off the weak-side curl as effectively/consistently as Jason Smith, how did that work out for the Knicks last season? They won 17 freaking games. I'm sure Bargnani, when healthy, could also hit that shot. It's not a hard shot. It's not a shot that going to vault the Knicks into title contention, or even the EC playoffs.

And the Dirk segment of the video was all about how he struggled as a rookie. Are people just assuming that Porzingis is going to suck his rookie season, or is this some sort of "kool aid," so if he does sucks, people can convince themselves that he could end up being a star/franchise player, like Nowitzki did?

There have been plenty of International/Euro bigs who struggled their rookie seasons, and still didn't turn into Dirk. Odds are the Porzingis will not either. We should just manage expectations, and just hope that he can turn into a player worthy of the 4th overall pick. It's not like the Knicks get a bunch of top 5 picks. They can't afford to swing and miss on him, or it could easily turn into another decade of struggle-ball.

Anyway, thanks for the video.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#11 » by blanko » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:02 am

i think people are forgetting one important fact: Dirk played in a third division team of the German league. Prozingis played in the second best league in the world (yes better than the NCAA). Prozingis is more NBA ready than Dirk was. Not saying he will be better or even close to dirk when all is said and done. BUt he is more prepared for nba basketball than Dirk. Dirk played in div 3 ball of europe while dirk played in the best D1 conference.
nyk97
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,219

Post#12 » by nyk97 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:03 am

KnicksScholar24 wrote:Ok, lets say Porzingis can hit the free throw jumper off the weak-side curl as effectively/consistently as Jason Smith, how did that work out for the Knicks last season? They won 17 freaking games. I'm sure Bargnani, when healthy, could also hit that shot. It's not a hard shot. It's not a shot that going to vault the Knicks into title contention, or even the EC playoffs.

And the Dirk segment of the video was all about how he struggled as a rookie. Are people just assuming that Porzingis is going to suck his rookie season, or is this some sort of "kool aid," so if he does sucks, people can convince themselves that he could end up being a star/franchise player, like Nowitzki did?

There have been plenty of International/Euro bigs who struggled their rookie seasons, and still didn't turn into Dirk. Odds are the Porzingis will not either. We should just manage expectations, and just hope that he can turn into a player worthy of the 4th overall pick. It's not like the Knicks get a bunch of top 5 picks. They can't afford to swing and miss on him, or it could easily turn into another decade of struggle-ball.

first of all, lou amundson and lance thomas started for us. that is all.
"im willing to ride or die for new york" -carl
Zinger46
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Zinger46 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:20 am

Porzingis will be 7.3 255 in 3 years destroying teams on both ends like prime AK47/Dirk yall. :eyebrows:
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,142

Post#14 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:52 am

KnicksScholar24 wrote:Ok, lets say Porzingis can hit the free throw jumper off the weak-side curl as effectively/consistently as Jason Smith, how did that work out for the Knicks last season? They won 17 freaking games. I'm sure Bargnani, when healthy, could also hit that shot. It's not a hard shot. It's not a shot that going to vault the Knicks into title contention, or even the EC playoffs.

I agree with the thought that just because Dirk struggled at first doesnt mean if Krisp does too everything will turn out dandy. That seems to be what some people are preparing their arguments to be if Krisp doesn't take the league by the balls by the 3rd week.

Bargs and Gallo started better than Dirk (Gallo's 2nd year was mostly his 1st since he barely played/was injured as a rook) yet they didnt get better. Dirk took a huge leap his 2nd year and then kept improving every year after. Meanwhile Gallo is still a 15/5 player 7 years later, although he did end this season very well so maybe he can finally be an 18/6 player now :lol:.

This is why many Knicks fans are so cynical when it comes to our young bucks. A lot of them showed great promise at first, some making all rookie teams, and then just never took the next step. David Lee is the only one who seemed to keep improving, but only on one end.

What I'm getting at is I don't expect Krisp to be great this year. I expect ups and downs with many great flashes though. However all that matters is that he keeps improving in the years following.

What Dirk did as a rookie doesnt matter much to me. It's like saying if you got cut from your highschool team you can still become Michael Jordan. Many great players started out struggling, but so did most bad players. It's never a good sign. We had Pau who hit the ground running from the start contrasted by his bro Marc who needed some time to simmer. We'll know by year 3 if Krisp is legit or not, but by year 2 he should be showing real signs.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,265

Post#15 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:06 am

I think the video was good. The only thing he did in the "Dirk Comparison" part was point out that Dirk didn't come in and dominate right away, that he struggled, it took some time and that in the 2nd season he it started to come together and there were some big flashes in the 2nd season.

Pretty much common sense if you remember Dirk's career. It was a nice reminder that even some eventually stars, especially bigs, need some time to adjust. Some don't, but many do.

I didn't see any "Porzingis is like Dirk" comparisons.

Have to agree about the FT curl jumper play. It worked a lot for Jason Smith yet we only won 17 games. It should be a shot that is there for Porzingis so there is no reason why that isn't an easy 6 points per game for him. It's how he gets the other 6 ppg, or gets those 6 when a team decides to take away that play.

My takeaway from the summer league is that he has true height and he has enough talent and fundamental soundness to know how to use it effectively (on D) to have already earned some back up minutes at PF. He also showed some nice court awareness and some passing skills, so those are other things that lead me to believe he'd get some minutes.

Those were my big concerns going into summer league - so, right now, at the least, he looks like a guy who earned his way to 10 backup minutes. With some weights and IF he shows more in training camp, maybe he earns 18-22 mpg as backup out of the gate.

And then my hope is he plays well enough to expand those minutes some around the all star break.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,684

Post#16 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:30 am

I think Porzingis is better than Dirk was at the same age, but Dirk was an animal in the gym. Talking about "doing drills at 6AM in the gym, alone" craziness. Kristaps needs to develop the same kind of mentality and he'll do great things in this league.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,936

Post#17 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:40 am

thanks for the video, as always.

kris already has a mentality edge on dirk. i am confident the knicks will let him develop properly, and that kris will push himself to greatness.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#18 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:44 am

I think you missed the point of Jason Smith video. The point is its an easy way to get Porzy involved early as he adjusts and gains confidence.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,706

Post#19 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:15 pm

In addition to the concerns that he is just going to be like Jason smith this year, Kris projects to be a much better defender than Smith was last year. He provides great rim protection with his length and given a little more strength can hold his own in the post.
Mike Breen
Analyst
And1: 2,072

Post#20 » by Mike Breen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Crazy8's literally only posts here to peddle clicks and get traffic for his website. Not watching.
And just like that, the lead has been cut to 8!

-Mike Breen

Return to New York Knicks