ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread IV

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,934

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread IV 

Post#841 » by BigShot Bojan » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:04 pm

So any reviews of "Compton"?
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread IV 

Post#842 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:10 pm

KnickswiththeKnack wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
kane2021 wrote:In NC theres like 9 joints that play on the radio and they all sound the same. I cant stand it and its really ruined the music for me. I get pissed when I hear a NY rapper spitting with that south style.

15 years ago I was upset that Bronx dudes wasnt getting chances off the strength like some of the other weak rappers that were getting put on just cause of who they know. I felt like,... if you going to have weak or so so rappers out there wasting budgets,... give some kids from the Bronx a shot. Was still good emcees on the streets. It pissed me off that the birth place of hip hop wasnt getting no shine while,.. average acts from other boroughs and even other states got a record and a video getting play.

So I feel what you saying. Its like NY dont even have a sound anymore. Do you know how bad it pisses me off that French is out the South Bronx and sounds like he's from Tennessee or some ****?

Rap is run by the velvet mafia. Turning these dudes out on some gay domination to give them a shot at stardom. They are cookie cutter acts told to sound a certain way to fit a trend to make money. I know it sounds crazy but look into it. When dudes speak on it, they end up broke or dead. And its been a poorly kept secret for decades. I heard they based in the ATL too.

New York needs another Wu Tang type movement. A group of independent dudes that got their own NY born flavor that dont care about what the industry tells folks to sound like. Just bum rush the game. Call me territorial. I just feel like respect is due to the earth the seed was planted in.

Oh yeah even the southern rappers that don't have that style can't get any play. I mean Key! is a major artist in Atlanta and it's a fact that he's penned some of the big songs to make it out of the A recently but he'll never get put on because of his type of music. OG Maco speaks all the time about how his one big song is probably the dumbest song he's ever made. Personally I hated Roscoe (I know him and he's cool but his music is trash) and early Future (he's been on a hit streak for a minute now) but now that's all that's on the radio.

And they've already tried to push a Wu-Tang movement but they can't because nobody will play them. It's 2015 people listen to only what's on the radio and even if these dudes can tour (and they have) they can't blow up without NY radio behind them because no other state is gonna help. All those BK dudes in the Beast Coast Movement are on fire and there's a ton of them constantly making great music. Joey, Chuck, CJ, Phony Ppl (Mostly Dyme-A-Duzin but it's like 12 of them total), Dash & AK (who FlyLo had to put on of course because NY hates NY emcees), Darko, Eric Ark, Zombie Juice (who all needed the ASAP crew to even get on)... There's great NY music out there to be played on the radio even ignoring the street dudes like Dave East and Nino Man but none of them can get any play outside of Sway's show in NY...

I was gonna say the same thing about Pro Era, they were kinda doing it. But it's always been hard to have a movement like that in a city like NY or LA etc. Everybody's got their own ideas & distractions. Must be even harder these days with the internet to distract you.

Odd Future were doing something like that in LA what like 5 years ago? Then Tyler & Earl jumped out in front and as a unit now they've lost a lot of momentum. But I guess in the greater scheme of things their 3-4 year run is still noteworthy.

All that said I do agree with Kane, NY needs to unify and take back their own airwaves. A group of people need to come together with their own style & say "we don't care what happens outside of NY, we just want the 5 boroughs to be bumpin' our s***". The world will soon follow. But kids can't see that, they wanna go straight from Queensbridge to the world.

OF all grew apart that's where they blew up because people still awaited that Earl album and before he suddenly stopped making music after shortly regressing Domo Genesis was staring to break out (after the Alchemist tape and some amazing features where he was taking lives).

And it's not just Pro Era the whole Beast Coast movement like I said is 20+ artists deep but not a single one of them can blow up. I mean Joey is the biggest artist of them all and he can't get any play. The world isn't going to follow NY without the radio pushing their music. The days of dudes getting deals just because they are good are long gone they want to hear you can move singles and streams first now.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,495

Post#843 » by j4remi » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:21 pm

E-Balla wrote:Enemy Of The State... Back when I was happy for the release of Lasers thinking it was going to sound like Go To Sleep...

Lupe was the best in the game from like 07-09/10 IMO. I mean Dumb It Down might be the GOAT written song. Like on paper you can't beat it. Not my favorite from mixtape Lu (that has to be Lupe Tha Killa) but the punchlines are crazy:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyuLLhP9CPc[/youtube]
"Until I'm a V-12 Sixer I'm a hundred and thirty round Clipper/
As if I was Elton Brand, but I will never leave Chicago"

Hell yes! Lupe was doing things on paper that nobody was touching. Food and Liquor is one of my favorite albums based on how different it felt and how much success he managed while putting out some of the most complex thinking man's hip hop in the game. Tracks like Mean and Vicious, Switch and Heat Under the Baby Seat...My God that dude was on some next ish. He lost me with the super lupe lyrical ish a bit, overdid it and too much of anything is bad but he's still one of my most respected.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#844 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:31 pm

j4remi wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Enemy Of The State... Back when I was happy for the release of Lasers thinking it was going to sound like Go To Sleep...

Lupe was the best in the game from like 07-09/10 IMO. I mean Dumb It Down might be the GOAT written song. Like on paper you can't beat it. Not my favorite from mixtape Lu (that has to be Lupe Tha Killa) but the punchlines are crazy:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyuLLhP9CPc[/youtube]
"Until I'm a V-12 Sixer I'm a hundred and thirty round Clipper/
As if I was Elton Brand, but I will never leave Chicago"

Hell yes! Lupe was doing things on paper that nobody was touching. Food and Liquor is one of my favorite albums based on how different it felt and how much success he managed while putting out some of the most complex thinking man's hip hop in the game. Tracks like Mean and Vicious, Switch and Heat Under the Baby Seat...My God that dude was on some next ish. He lost me with the super lupe lyrical ish a bit, overdid it and too much of anything is bad but he's still one of my most respected.

He lost me when he started caring more about getting his heavy handed messages across in songs and putting his message first, tone second, concepts third, and rapping last. He used to have insane concepts (like Gotta Eat) and bars to match them. I mean Lupe probably has my favorite bar ever.
Hats on tilt like my Snickers ain't drop out the vending machine/
You gotta put more money in, And I shake **** up every time I drop a bar

E-Balla
RealGM

Post#845 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:39 pm

Shoutout to Cam and the new Dipset CD. I have an actual CD copy so I haven't listened yet.

Fun fact: I recently found out Cam'ron's bacon rolls line is what started Rap Genius... Cam always has the most hilarious wordplay.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#846 » by DowNY » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:55 pm

E-Balla wrote:Shoutout to Cam and the new Dipset CD. I have an actual CD copy so I haven't listened yet.

Fun fact: I recently found out Cam'ron's bacon rolls line is what started Rap Genius... Cam always has the most hilarious wordplay.

You mean the new dip set project that dropped a few days ago that had no Cam on it? Lol
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#847 » by DowNY » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm glad Lupe is getting some love these days. I remember saying Lupe was one of the goats that will be embedded in Hip Hop history after "The Cool" came out. People looked at me like I had no hip hop knowledge.

A good competive battle involving Mos, Black thought, Los, Lupe and others would be great. Much better than Drake/Meek thing. Lol. Los & Lupe's last albums have both been slept on recently.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#848 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:02 pm

DowNY wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Shoutout to Cam and the new Dipset CD. I have an actual CD copy so I haven't listened yet.

You mean the new dip set project that dropped a few days ago that had no Cam on it? Lol

I mean the one I just said I haven't listened to yet...
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#849 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:02 pm

DowNY wrote:I'm glad Lupe is getting some love these days. I remember saying Lupe was one of the goats that will be embedded in Hip Hop history after "The Cool" came out. People looked at me like I had no hip hop knowledge.

A good competive battle involving Mos, Black thought, Los, Lupe and others would be great. Much better than Drake/Meek thing. Lol. Los & Lupe's last albums have both been slept on recently.

I have a different taste in rap music than most people in this thread (I'm 100% fine with the pop stuff), so I LOVED Lasers...but his non-pop rap is / has some of the nicest features / freestyles / random drops I've heard.

His SLR series was great.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#850 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:04 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U34xNxBcNs[/youtube]

Parts 1, 2, and 3 all in one. So good.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#851 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:06 pm

DowNY wrote:I'm glad Lupe is getting some love these days. I remember saying Lupe was one of the goats that will be embedded in Hip Hop history after "The Cool" came out. People looked at me like I had no hip hop knowledge.

Really? I'd say people agreed more with him being great back then when he was great and everyone called his albums classics. Since Lasers he's been mediocre and I know a ton of people who've tried to act like he's not an ATG anymore.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#852 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:08 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

I have a different taste in rap music than most people in this thread (I'm 100% fine with the pop stuff), so I LOVED Lasers...but his non-pop rap is / has some of the nicest features / freestyles / random drops I've heard.

SLR was amazing but who goes straight from I to III? So odd...
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#853 » by Fury » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:10 pm

Oh yeah. I saw Questlove yesterday at Chelsea piers. Huge dude.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#854 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:11 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

What do you mean? He had 3 separate parts.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#855 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:19 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

What do you mean? He had 3 separate parts.

It is also a shame Lupe stopped making music between 2010 and 2015...
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#856 » by GYK » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:24 pm

https://soundcloud.com/larryfisherman/sets/go-od-am

Mac Miller just dropped this today
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#857 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:26 pm

knicks85 wrote:So any reviews of "Compton"?

Have only listened to it once at work and only got 13 songs so I wasn't so focused but, I liked it. Snoop gave 2 great features that I didn't expect were going to be as good as they were. I also like this dude Anderson Paak that I guess they are trying to put on. He's got a cool voice and flow. And of course K. Dot was on point.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#858 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Aug 7, 2015 9:31 pm

Any team that has Black Thought on it... I'm putting the house on it. King Los has ripped the five fingers of death multiple times and well Mos is a damn legend. In all honesty there's not three rappers you can put together that can even touch em.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wON6T0lAruY[/youtube]
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#859 » by N8isScofield » Fri Aug 7, 2015 10:23 pm

Phish Tank wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:
E-Balla wrote:It was very meh to me. I'm really disappointed but maybe it's because I was expecting a classic...

I tempered my expectations years ago. I knew he was probably never topping 2001 even when Detox was first rumored and when it never happened/ the tracks that were supposedly from it were underwhelming I dropped my expectations more. It's a pretty good rap album with good production and some nice guest appearances. It's definitely not a classic by any means but it's good for what it is. I really wasn't expecting anything better to be honest and I think the fact that nobody really knew this existed until a few days ago didn't allow me to get too hyped up with anticipation. The way I look at it, it's a Dre album that sounds pretty good and has some nice features. It's good enough for me considering it didn't look like we'd ever get one.

this album can't be compared to 2001 or Chronic. This album is a concept album -> no singles. You have to understand it as a whole... it's why there are people who still don't like Kendrick because they either don't understand the lyrics or because there isn't many prototypical "singles."

This album is perfectly mastered and paints a grand message of Compton -> the overarching theme of the album. If you're looking for some "classics" with singles, you won't find it on this album.

I know. Even if he'd come out with Detox nobody could realistically have expected it to compete with The Chronic or 2001. I like it for what it is. I'm a big Kendrick fan so I like the fact that he had a good presence on the album. For what it is which as you said is a concept album it's pretty good. I'm enjoying it. To me this is kind of like his American Gangster. You wouldn't put it up with his classics but if you judge it for what it is then it's a very good effort.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#860 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 7, 2015 11:20 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Any team that has Black Thought on it... I'm putting the house on it. King Los has ripped the five fingers of death multiple times and well Mos is a damn legend. In all honesty there's not three rappers you can put together that can even touch em.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wON6T0lAruY[/youtube]

Lupe, Royce, Electronica might be better.

Return to New York Knicks