ImageImageImageImageImage

More Athletic Porzingas? Thon Maker is a Beast

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Re: More Athletic Porzingas? Thon Maker is a Beast 

Post#21 » by Jstarks3 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:51 pm

i wouldve loved to see 17 year old porzingis against these children
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Post#22 » by GONYK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:52 pm

This thread title is honestly embarrassing
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#23 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:04 pm

Jstarks3 wrote:i wouldve loved to see 17 year old porzingis against these children

He was too busy playing in ACB / Eurocup.

Maker is 18, btw. At age 18 Porzingis was...still playing in the 2nd best professional league. :lol:
KnickMan
Pro Prospect
And1: 204

Post#24 » by KnickMan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:47 pm

GONYK wrote:This thread title is honestly embarrassing

I guess we will see since he is all of 18 years old. As I read more about him from those that are apparently a lot more knowledgeable then me, he definitely is a work in progress and is raw in some areas. I have read his IQ leaves something to be desired. I think he definitely needs to play a year or two in college under a coach like Calipari or better yet Coach K. to further develop his game.

If I turn out to be wrong I will gladly admit it. At this point, I think it is pre-mature to assume Thon Maker can't make the necessary adjustments and become a beast in 2-3 years. Time will tell.
"Tier 1 Asset Accumulation"
http://www.greatfinancialoptions.com
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,261

Post#25 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:53 pm

ImageImageImage
E86
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,116

Post#26 » by E86 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:54 pm

KnickMan wrote:

I guess we will see since he is all of 18 years old. As I read more about him from those that are apparently a lot more knowledgeable then me, he definitely is a work in progress and is raw in some areas. I have read his IQ leaves something to be desired. I think he definitely needs to play a year or two in college under a coach like Calipari or better yet Coach K. to further develop his game.

If I turn out to be wrong I will gladly admit it. At this point, I think it is pre-mature to assume Thon Maker can't make the necessary adjustments and become a beast in 2-3 years. Time will tell.

You're debating the inverse of your position by using an argument that equally invalidates your own position. I think that's hilarious.
KnickMan
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by KnickMan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:55 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:Thon was a legend on RealGM years back. His hype seems to have died down though. On DX and .Net he was projected as a mid-late 1st rounder in the 2016 draft a couple weeks ago, but I think he's going in the 2017 draft now. Even so .Net has him going 24th in 2017 too. I haven't watched him much but they say his IQ is low (only started playing ball a few years ago), he can be soft, and he just doesn't play great against real competition.

Porzingis is taller, longer, been playing ball since he was a kid, and has done his thing in a great league. I have a hard time seeing Thon not being picked top 10 at least, but Porzingis is a better prospect atm. Thon has some work to do.

The next great Euro prospect seems to be Dragan Bender. Between him and Thon Maker I don't know who's name is cooler, which is what will ultimately decide their fates.

Skal Labisierre is also better than Thon. Harry Giles is one to look out for in 2017 too.

Many promising bigs coming into the league the next few years. In addition to this year's draft the big man may be coming back. A few others being Diamond Stone, Cheick Diallo, Jakob Poeltl, Domatas Sabonis, Henry Ellenson, Zhou Qi, Alpha Kapa, etc.

So in other words when he was 16 not he is the ripe old age of 18 lol. I remember the hype about him a few years ago and actually forgot about him. It was out drafting of Porzengis that made me look up what he has been up to recently. One thing is for sure he probably needs 1 if not 2 years of good college coaching to begin to reach his potential. If he goes overseas (ala Mudiay) I believe he will be making a serious mistake.

I do agree about Porzingis being a better prospect, at the moment as you say. I don't know that much about some of the other bigs you mentioned. Looks like the game maybe cycling back to a big mans game if all these guys turn out to be legit. Still, it make take him some time but one way or the other I think Thon Maker is going to be very good. Remember everybody is talking about Porzengis as need 2 - 3 years. Same could might be said for Maker when he is ready in a year or two when he declares for the NBA.
KnickMan
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by KnickMan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:00 am

E86 wrote:
KnickMan wrote:

You're debating the inverse of your position by using an argument that equally invalidates your own position. I think that's hilarious.

Wow, okay. I am just making conversation about a young player with some similarities to Porzingis. Sorry if I missed the debate class. I should not have said he is a beast; he has the potential to become a beast. Is that better?
KnickMan
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by KnickMan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:04 am

JayKnicKz11 wrote:Jumper is no where close to Porzingis. He gets most his points off of dunks and put backs. Also very turn over prone. No comparison.

You realize he is still in H.S. right? 7'1 SF/PF with an inside out game; you are right; no comparison at all. He will never get any better, the bum should just quit while he is ahead...
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#30 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 am

I honestly dont see why the need for the comparison either. Op, it seems you're using Kris to promote Thon Maker to prevent moving this topic elsewhere.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
KnickMan
Pro Prospect

Post#31 » by KnickMan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:08 am

JXL wrote:
KnickMan wrote:
JXL wrote:Maker doesn't have the IQ, just the guard skills. I see him as Lamar Odom over KG.

You are coming to that conclusion and he is still in high school? May I ask what is the basis of this view point?

Knickstape1214 wrote:Thon, from what I have seen and read, also is soft and is WAY too perimeter oriented (step back jumpers, crossovers, etc) -- which he'll not be able to pull off at higher levels because... 1) guys are way quicker than they are in HS / talent level is higher 2) coaches won't let him do that before they take him out of the game 3) his handle isn't tight enough to get away with it at higher levels 4) teams will play him for the jumper because he's not physical enough, aggressive enough, or strong enough to go inside. Basically he's soft as Charmin Frye.

IMO, there's nothing really "special" about him compared to other players in the upcoming drafts.

Just got your answer, feel the same way.

Fair enough, time will tell if you are right or wrong about him.
E86
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,116

Post#32 » by E86 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:15 am

KnickMan wrote:
E86 wrote:
KnickMan wrote:

Wow, okay. I am just making conversation about a young player with some similarities to Porzingis. Sorry if I missed the debate class. I should not have said he is a beast; he has the potential to become a beast. Is that better?

No I get it and I'm not trying to oppress your speech. I think your thread is interesting since I had no clue who this was until now but I think your thread title is a bit disingenuous and using a bit of click bait tactics. Kudos to you on that, I wouldn't have entered the thread if you didn't. You should work for ESPN.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#33 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:16 am

KnickMan wrote:
JayKnicKz11 wrote:Jumper is no where close to Porzingis. He gets most his points off of dunks and put backs. Also very turn over prone. No comparison.

You realize he is still in H.S. right? 7'1 SF/PF with an inside out game; you are right; no comparison at all. He will never get any better, the bum should just quit while he is ahead...

He's not a SF.
KnickMan
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by KnickMan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:19 am

Thugger HBC wrote:I honestly dont see why the need for the comparison either. Op, it seems you're using Kris to promote Thon Maker to prevent moving this topic elsewhere.

Not really; at least that wasn't my intention. I really have no stake in Makers success or lack thereof unless he becomes a Knick. I just thought during the draft, a lot of hype was about all the things Porzingas could do at 7'1-7'3, and it appears that Maker MAY be able to many of the same things and he is also 7'1 (I know he is nowhere near as good a shooter, but he is still in H.S. and can improve his shot).

Based on the feedback, it seems people are taking this as some kind of back handed put down of Porzingas and it isn't. It is rare that you have two 7 plus footers with this kind of ability. Maker just seemed a little quicker and more athletic for what ever that is worth (perhaps not much). He definitely has a ways to go, but then again so does Porzengis. As of now Porzengis is certainly ahead of him in terms of his development and overall BB IQ. I just thought it would be interesting to think about them matching up against each other a few years from now. What can I tell you; I'm bored and there wasn't much basketball news.... :-)
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#35 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:24 am

KnickMan wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I honestly dont see why the need for the comparison either. Op, it seems you're using Kris to promote Thon Maker to prevent moving this topic elsewhere.

Not really; at least that wasn't my intention. I really have no stake in Makers success or lack thereof unless he becomes a Knick. I just thought during the draft, a lot of hype was about all the things Porzingas could do at 7'1-7'3, and it appears that Maker MAY be able to many of the same things and he is also 7'1 (I know he is nowhere near as good a shooter, but he is still in H.S. and can improve his shot).

Based on the feedback, it seems people are taking this as some kind of back handed put down of Porzingas and it isn't. It is rare that you have two 7 plus footers with this kind of ability. Maker just seemed a little quicker and more athletic for what ever that is worth (perhaps not much). He definitely has a ways to go, but then again so does Porzengis. As of now Porzengis is certainly ahead of him in terms of his development and overall BB IQ. I just thought it would be interesting to think about them matching up against each other a few years from now. What can I tell you; I'm bored and there wasn't much basketball news.... :-)

Ok man, but I cant really believe this, especially when you're deliberately spelling the young's man name wrong every time you type it. :lol:

No one agrees, and quite honestly you arent even making a viable point. But carry on for a few....
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#36 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:29 am

The late great Manute Bol had a better jump shot. Why bother with Thon Maker? If the Knicks want someone soft, unmotivated but tall... Hasheem Thabeet is STILL available.
KnickMan
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by KnickMan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:38 am

E86 wrote:
KnickMan wrote:
E86 wrote:

No I get it and I'm not trying to oppress your speech. I think your thread is interesting since I had no clue who this was until now but I think your thread title is a bit disingenuous and using a bit of click bait tactics. Kudos to you on that, I wouldn't have entered the thread if you didn't. You should work for ESPN.

Lol, I didn't do any of that consciously. Maybe I SHOULD work for ESPN!
jakoub
Pro Prospect
And1: 127

Post#38 » by jakoub » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:40 am

thank god he didn't reclassify to join the class of 2015 instead he will be in the 2016 class. I still like Ben Simmons more :( .
My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
jakoub
Pro Prospect
And1: 127

Post#39 » by jakoub » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:41 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:The late great Manute Bol had a better jump shot. Why bother with Thon Maker? If the Knicks want someone soft, unmotivated but tall... Hasheem Thabeet is STILL available.

maybe we should go after manute's 7 foot son Bol Bol :lol: :lol: :lol:
My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
KnickMan
Pro Prospect

Post#40 » by KnickMan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:46 am

Thugger HBC wrote:
KnickMan wrote:

Ok man, but I cant really believe this, especially when you're deliberately spelling the young's man name wrong every time you type it. :lol:

No one agrees, and quite honestly you arent even making a viable point. But carry on for a few....

I am not deliberately misspelling his name. Sorry about that. In your opinion it is not a viable point. You are entitled to yours as am I. BTW no one has to agree; I am sharing my point of view. My error was in the title; I should not have said he is a beast as he is clearly a work in progress but has crazy upside.

Return to New York Knicks