ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Trip to NY in November

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Celo
Junior
And1: 150

OT - Trip to NY in November 

Post#1 » by Celo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:17 am

Hey Guys

I bet this kind of thread existed like 2487962 times here. But since I didn't find a recent one I am going to make a new one, hope you don't kill me haha

I'll be in NY from November 19th until November 29th, so I got plenty of questions which you can hopefully answer.

The most important question, the ticket question, has already been asked in another thread. You guys are recommending stubhub, is it possible to get seats in the lower rows via stubhub, too?

Since I just booked flights without a hotel, any recommendation on a good & cheap lodging?

Last but not least some tourist questions.

What's the best place for watching Knicks road games, any good sports bar?

What about night clubs, or generally places to be in New York?

Best restaurants?

Any locations which can't be find in a tourist guide but a worth a visit?

Final Question: I got open jaw flights, my return flight goes from Chicago. What's the easiest way of getting to Chicago? Domestic flight, train, bus?

That's it. Sorry for all these questions. This is going to be my first trip to the US ever, so I'm pretty excited and curious.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 22 years old, might be important to know my age in order to answer some of the questions haha
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: OT - Trip to NY in November 

Post#2 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Celo wrote:Hey Guys

I bet this kind of thread existed like 2487962 times here. But since I didn't find a recent one I am going to make a new one, hope you don't kill me haha

I'll be in NY from November 19th until November 29th, so I got plenty of questions which you can hopefully answer.

The most important question, the ticket question, has already been asked in another thread. You guys are recommending stubhub, is it possible to get seats in the lower rows via stubhub, too?

Since I just booked flights without a hotel, any recommendation on a good & cheap lodging?

Best restaurants?

Final Question: I got open jaw flights, my return flight goes from Chicago. What's the easiest way of getting to Chicago? Domestic flight, train, bus?

That's it. Sorry for all these questions. This is going to be my first trip to the US ever, so I'm pretty excited and curious.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 22 years old, might be important to know my age in order to answer some of the questions haha

22? I can't even remember being no fricken 22. My wife made me forget all that great stuff back then. LOL.

NY - Chicago is painful on a bus. Try getting a cheap plane ticket online.

I'll defer to the experts on here about your other questions.

Must be nice being 22 and able to travel to NY to see the Knicks and Nightlife.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#3 » by KnickFan33 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:30 pm

I don't know what your budget is. But regarding lodging, you can always check out airbnb. I've never done so for NYC since I live here, but it's worked out well for me when traveling. Oftentimes you'll find spots a little away from the touristy areas and get a better idea of how the locals live if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I'm not really into clubbing or bars, but you should check out Turtle Bay. It's been fun the few times I been there.

Regarding food, check out the pizza joints in Brooklyn. DiFara's is a must imho (u may have to wait an hour or more for your pizza if it's busy). If you're going to be around the Brooklyn Bridge, go check out Grimaldi's. There are a number of other spots, but those should suffice.

Stuff not found in a tour guide would really depend on what you're into doing I suppose.

Regarding heading to Chicago, check Kayak. Just looked up tickets for Chicago on the 28th... As of right now LGA-ORD can be had for $147.
And100
Banned User
And1: 779

Post#4 » by And100 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:23 pm

Best restaurants?

If you've never been to the city/U.S. before, and you have a limited time there, don't spend it sitting in a bar watching the a basketball game.

A Knicks regular season game in November is not going to be some revelatory fan experience you might be thinking.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,125

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:43 pm

You can find any seats on stubhub. The better the seats obviously the more you have to pay. But the point again is that you have the freedom to pick and choose those seats and the prices are lower that what you'd like to have to pay to scalpers or private ticket brokers.

Just check the popular hotel sites (hotel.com, expedia.com, tripadvisor, etc.). There's really no better places to check than those sites as they mass broadcast hotel rooms which allows them to get the best rates. Depending on how cheap you want to go (which goes hand in hand with how easy going you are as far as sharing rooms or bathrooms with strangers) you could look up NYC hostels. I probably wouldn't recommend it in NYC (this isn't San Diego or some such relatively safe area).

Gear your preference (for similarly priced/rated hotels) based on what type of atmosphere you want to walk out of your hotel room into. If you are eclectic and don't mind the sounds/sights/smells of NYC then anywhere downtown in the village (Soho, Noho, etc.) or even Chinatown area might be for you. If you don't want to experience that 24-7 and want something a little quieter then something in the 50's or higher would be better for you.

If you are going to be staying downtown there's probably a pub or a bar on every block that you can watch games at. At worst right around MSG there's a town of bars that broadcast games. You can also do any of the commercialized sports eateries (ESPN Zone, etc.) as they obviously will broadcast a lot of games on giant TV's all over the place.

Yeah I'll leave that to others to comment as I haven't been clubbing in a long while.

Best restaurants?

Depends on what you want to eat and how much you want to spend.

Chinese food is obvious...you go down to Chinatown. Rule of thumb on knowing if the place has good chinese food? Just look into the window and if you see a lot of Chinese people eating there, then it's good lol. If you look in the window and you only see mostly none Chinese, stay away.

If you are into Korean food, little Korea starts only a few blocks away from MSG (31st street I believe is the heaviest concentration? it's almost like being in Korea).

For Italian food, head to Little Italy...it's in the same area as Chinatown.

(Real) Steaks can be REAL expensive in NYC if you want the best (we're not talking Outback or a chain restaurant steak). You can easily google best steakhouses in NYC and it'll show you the highest ranked. Expect to pay about $40-50 (per person) easy for a good cut of meat (just the steak). I've had real nice cuts of meat for over $80-90.

NYC to Chicago? Depends on how much time you have to waste. Train from NYC to Chicago is about 20 hours I believe. Buses would probably take about the same amount of time. If you have time to waste and you want to see the bus route sites, then it's an option. I would suggest flying. Between time to get to the airport , check in and flight you're probably talking shaving about 6-7 hours.

Biggest suggestion is don't look like a tourist. No big flashy SLR cameras. Don't stare at people...New Yorkers don't like that. Have fun. Be safe.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:03 pm

November can be a little chilly and possibly rainy. To me, you gotta enjoy a little of the old and new in NYC...

Two historical places you gotta have a drink in:

Fraunces Tavern (Financial District): The legendary spot where Washington shared one last drink with his troops before saying goodbye...after the Revolutionary War ended.

McSorleys Old Ale House (East Village): Abe Lincoln grabbed a cold one in this spot in his travels through NYC. Also the LAST place to ban women.

Little History in food

Lombardis Pizza (Little Italy): The first place in America to serve what was called "Tomato pies" and the American birthplace of "Pizza." While other places might have the better slice, it's still good quality and better than most places outside of NYC.

Katz's Delicatessen (Lower East Side): Pretty much one of the signature Jewish eateries. Been around since the turn of the 20th Century. Still one of the best Pastrami joints.

Russ & Daughters: Another Jewish landmark. Good spot for lox.

National Landmarks:

The Mausoleum of Ulysses S. Grant: Not far from Columbia University is the final resting spot of The Union General that turned the tide of the Civil War and former US President. He's buried in Manhattan because he wrote his memoirs in NYC.

The House of Alexander Hamilton (Harlem): The father of the American Economics and Financial system and the earliest advocate to end Slavery.

Tombstone of Bill "the Butcher" (Gangs of New York): Green-Wood Cemetery or the Borough of the Dead in Brooklyn.

Places to Enjoy the view:

Le Bain the Standard Hotel (Meatpacking District): Most times it's spinning DJs that may or may not be your taste but the views are spectacular to grab a drink.

Museums to Enjoy:

Obviously the NEW Whitney is worth it...so are the usual spots but I have a preference to...

PS 1: A public school was used to house a Contemporary museum in Jackson Heights, Queens.

The Cloisters: Basically some NYC High Society types stole an Abbey and dropped it near Washington Heights.

Frick Collection: Andrew Carnegie's right hand man whose collection of Turner and Vermeer paintings are worth noting.
iStudyTheGame
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#7 » by iStudyTheGame » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 pm

This thread is amazing, I love NY
Celo
Junior
And1: 150

Post#8 » by Celo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you, since I haven't done so yet.
Had 2 great first days in NYC, and 8 more still coming.

Any more recommendations - especially in regards of food - are still welcomed. :)

Oh, and btw, what's the best place to grab a jersey?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,303

Post#9 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:November can be a little chilly and possibly rainy. To me, you gotta enjoy a little of the old and new in NYC...

Two historical places you gotta have a drink in:

Fraunces Tavern (Financial District): The legendary spot where Washington shared one last drink with his troops before saying goodbye...after the Revolutionary War ended.

McSorleys Old Ale House (East Village): Abe Lincoln grabbed a cold one in this spot in his travels through NYC. Also the LAST place to ban women.

Little History in food

Lombardis Pizza (Little Italy): The first place in America to serve what was called "Tomato pies" and the American birthplace of "Pizza." While other places might have the better slice, it's still good quality and better than most places outside of NYC.

Katz's Delicatessen (Lower East Side): Pretty much one of the signature Jewish eateries. Been around since the turn of the 20th Century. Still one of the best Pastrami joints.

Russ & Daughters: Another Jewish landmark. Good spot for lox.

National Landmarks:

The Mausoleum of Ulysses S. Grant: Not far from Columbia University is the final resting spot of The Union General that turned the tide of the Civil War and former US President. He's buried in Manhattan because he wrote his memoirs in NYC.

The House of Alexander Hamilton (Harlem): The father of the American Economics and Financial system and the earliest advocate to end Slavery.

Tombstone of Bill "the Butcher" (Gangs of New York): Green-Wood Cemetery or the Borough of the Dead in Brooklyn.

Places to Enjoy the view:

Le Bain the Standard Hotel (Meatpacking District): Most times it's spinning DJs that may or may not be your taste but the views are spectacular to grab a drink.

Museums to Enjoy:

Obviously the NEW Whitney is worth it...so are the usual spots but I have a preference to...

PS 1: A public school was used to house a Contemporary museum in Jackson Heights, Queens.

The Cloisters: Basically some NYC High Society types stole an Abbey and dropped it near Washington Heights.

Frick Collection: Andrew Carnegie's right hand man whose collection of Turner and Vermeer paintings are worth noting.

Whoa doctor. Nice suggestions. Nice mix of the regular and eclectic.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#10 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Celo wrote:Hey Guys,

Any more recommendations - especially in regards of food - are still welcomed. :)

Do you like Indian Food?

You could take the 7 train to Jackson Heights in Queens and go to the Jackson Diner. It's been surpassed but is still good and only one I could remember by name.

Or, you could stay in Manhattan and not far from MSG:
http://www.newyork.com/articles/restaurants/beginners-guide-to-indian-food-in-nycs-curry-hill-55099/
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#11 » by AmazingJason » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:16 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Do you like Indian Food?

You could take the 7 train to Jackson Heights in Queens and go to the Jackson Diner. It's been surpassed but is still good and only one I could remember by name.

http://www.newyork.com/articles/restaurants/beginners-guide-to-indian-food-in-nycs-curry-hill-55099/

If you come to Queens, that's where the real food and last remaining real people in NYC are.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#12 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:18 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Do you like Indian Food?

If you come to Queens, that's where the real food and last remaining real people in NYC are.

True, as a Queens guy myself, have to agree. Well former, I live in Va now.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#13 » by BKlutch » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Try all the ethnic food - if you're near Rockefeller Center, a great Irish Pub is Pig & Whistle on 48th St. Try the Staten Island Ferry - a wonderful free trip with awesome views of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. Go see the Rock Center Christmas tree if you're here when it's lit. Visit Lincoln Center, and visit Difara's Pizza in Brooklyn or Artichoke Basille's Pizza. Too much to do, too little time. Also if you love Museums - the Museum of Natural History, Hayden Planetarium (Neal deGrasse Tyson's roost), the Metropolitan Museum. You also heard of MSG, I think.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Return to New York Knicks