ImageImageImageImageImage

Internet Speculation: Ricky Rubio a target of the Knicks?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,914

Re: Bleacher Report Speculation: Ricky Rubio a target of the Knicks? 

Post#101 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Clyde would eat Rubio's lunch..... after having his chef make it for him.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#102 » by swisscheeseD » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Tron Carter wrote:can't see rubio challenging any of them, let alone clyde, for "best PG in franchise history" if we were to trade for him.

So you're in the predicting the future business? Or is it that you're in the business of passing on your opinion as fact over others opinions?

If you wanted to argue the comment I said, this is how you do it...

Capn'O wrote:I'll say it.

He has a lot to prove before he surpasses Stephon Marbury.

Though that statement can also be argued.

---

What I said was "Rubio would be the best PG the Knicks have had since Mark Jackson, and COULD challenege Walt Clyde Frazier as the best PG in franchise history". If you want to argue my first point on behalf of Marbury, Childs, Ward, Harper, Rivers, Strickland, etc being better...have at it, at least that is a legit discussion. But when I said "COULD" challenge the likes, I wasn't saying he WOULD. There is a big difference.

If Rubio's only legitimate gripes echoed throughout the thread are injury history, contract and lack of a jumper...is it fair to assume that if he gets over his injury concerns (he's only 24 and has a long career still in front of him), that his contract wouldn't look so bad? Do you really think that a lack of a jumper will prevent him to fulfill HIS true potential? Did that stop other pure PG's like Kidd, Andre Miller, Rondo, etc...? Who is to say he doesn't become a key contributor to the 1st Knicks Championship Team since '73? Would that not propel him in the discussion of best Knick PG's of All-Time?

---

My only issue with the discussion on these boards is the expectations of flawed people, not wanting to see past the flaws of men. These athletes all come with their set of issues, nobody is perfect. We aren't going to reasonably field a Starting 5 of Top 5 players at each position. Why must we continually focus on the negative, with no mention of the positive? Why is everything completely black or white? How can one cry about Phil taking back Calderon as the centerpiece of the Chandler deal, crush him with every breathe, flood this board with constant trades to dump him...yet, don't even want to consider a clear upgrade in a calculated risk/high reward type deal?

This board is so dismissive of anything short of netting Durant in Free Agency. Well guess what...he ain't coming.
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#103 » by TruthBeTold » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Not with that salary. The Knicks need to at least wait and see what they have at point guard when the season starts. Calderon is a good shooter, but I hate the way he plays point guard. He passes the ball around and only shoot when no one else wants to shoot. He is a very good shooter who can surprise people this season if he is more aggressive with his offense. Grant is the future of the Knicks. I believe the only reason for the knicks should try to upgrade their point guard position is if Grant is performing below expectations. However, lets not forget that Grant is a rookie.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,553

Post#104 » by Capn'O » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:43 pm

swisscheeseD wrote:What I said was "Rubio would be the best PG the Knicks have had since Mark Jackson, and COULD challenege Walt Clyde Frazier as the best PG in franchise history". If you want to argue my first point on behalf of Marbury, Childs, Ward, Harper, Rivers, Strickland, etc being better...have at it, at least that is a legit discussion. But when I said "COULD" challenge the likes, I wasn't saying he WOULD. There is a big difference.

If Rubio's only legitimate gripes echoed throughout the thread are injury history, contract and lack of a jumper...is it fair to assume that if he gets over his injury concerns (he's only 24 and has a long career still in front of him), that his contract wouldn't look so bad? Do you really think that a lack of a jumper will prevent him to fulfill HIS true potential? Did that stop other pure PG's like Kidd, Andre Miller, Rondo, etc...? Who is to say he doesn't become a key contributor to the 1st Knicks Championship Team since '73? Would that not propel him in the discussion of best Knick PG's of All-Time?

Walt Frazier was the best player on the best Knick teams of all time. He could score 35 or score 5 and still clearly lead the team. I haven't seen anything like that from Rubio, though he is an excellent passer. A lot of things _could_ happen but I've seen nothing to indicate that it would happen. His lack of a jumper puts a ceiling on his potential that without additional great scorers, as in Rondo's case, he sets _this_ team back. The complement of players and system require an ability to space from the 1. Note that Rondo also had an elite level dribble drive to the hoop that helped him facilitate. Andre Miller was very good at the rim and was effective to 20 feet. Only Miller I would want next to Carmelo.

swisscheeseD wrote:Why must we continually focus on the negative, with no mention of the positive? Why is everything completely black or white? How can one cry about Phil taking back Calderon as the centerpiece of the Chandler deal, crush him with every breathe, flood this board with constant trades to dump him...yet, don't even want to consider a clear upgrade in a calculated risk/high reward type deal?

First, I don't think the package mentioned (Cal, Williams, small pieces) comes close to netting Rubio. Flaws aside, Rubio is a stud young player and he will command a decent return. Grant would almost certainly need to be included along with future considerations. Any discussion of acquiring Rubio is paired with a discussion of a considerable package in return.

Second, Capn'O does not cry and certainly didn't over receiving Calderon. I've roundly been lukewarm to that trade and lukewarm I will remain.

swisscheeseD wrote:This board is so dismissive of anything short of netting Durant in Free Agency. Well guess what...he ain't coming.

I am not this board. I am Capn'O. Capn'O wants Durant, yes. Very much, thanks. Realistically, Capn'O wants Batuuuuuum! Or a few other guys that can facilitate from the wing. And also to see how Grant projects at the 1 before engaging in deals where he would need to be included.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#105 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:50 pm

From "Inside the Mind of Phil Jackson, pt. 17" (unreleased) : "I was thinking that I carried this stuff too far. I mean, I got rid of all the crazies, the guys with no heart, the guys who weren't smart. I even fired a plumber. Then I brought in high character, smart BBIQ players. Good contracts, all very reasonable, and we're heading into 2016 Free Agency in good shape. " But then I thought, "there must be balance. I've gone too far down the of being responsible and rational. Damnit, I've got to break out of this boring mold. Get me Rubio! Damn the salary. I don't care if he is frequently injured. He does't need a jump shot, Melo has one. What did we ever win with Melo's jumper? Nothing. Let's risk it all on our savior, Ricky Rubio."

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#106 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:52 pm

BKlutch wrote:From "Inside the Mind of Phil Jackson, pt. 17" (unreleased) : "I was thinking that I carried this stuff too far. I mean, I got rid of all the crazies, the guys with no heart, the guys who weren't smart. I even fired a plumber. Then I brought in high character, smart BBIQ players. Good contracts, all very reasonable, and we're heading into 2016 Free Agency in good shape. " But then I thought, "there must be balance. I've gone too far down the of being responsible and rational. Damnit, I've got to break out of this boring mold. Get me Rubio! Damn the salary. I don't care if he is frequently injured. He does't need a jump shot, Melo has one. What did we ever win with Melo's jumper? Nothing. Let's risk it all on our savior, Ricky Rubio."

:lol:
Ace_Rockola
Rookie
And1: 567

Post#107 » by Ace_Rockola » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:59 pm

I know this is just some BS rumor and whatever. It's like saying "the Knicks are interested in LeBron James" sure they are, but it's not going to happen. Wolves are not looking to move Rubio at all. AT ALL. He's a "he's more valuable to us than you" guy anyway. Knicks have nothing to offer that the Wolves wouldn't just hang up the phone.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,085

Post#108 » by moocow007 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:04 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:I don't think anyone can say whether Rubio could lead a playoff team or not......he's been on a **** team and he's gotten hurt as soon as he gets rolling, stunting his growth. His vision and defense elevate the other guys around him......one could argue with a more talented roster and an entire year healthy, Rubio and whatever team he's running could win and do damage at a high level.

Or not. That's the risk.

Yes, I think folks are ripping Rubio unnecessarily here. I would be interested but Rubio is a risk. His shot? Yeah somewhat...sorry...you have to worry about it. But the injury history also is a concern. Then there's the unknown about whether he actually can lead a team to something (not that he can't, but you don't know). The contract isn't really that bad in today's crazy market sure.

If Rubio shot better he'd clearly be considered a top PG. If he didn't have durability concerns, that would also help his value. And of course, as Knick fans know just as well as Wolves fans, if he was on a winning team, his value would also be higher. It's worth a gamble, but since it is a gamble, there's only so much that is realistic to pay to get him.

I would take a risk.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by moocow007 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:07 pm

Ace_Rockola wrote:I know this is just some BS rumor and whatever. It's like saying "the Knicks are interested in LeBron James" sure they are, but it's not going to happen. Wolves are not looking to move Rubio at all. AT ALL. He's a "he's more valuable to us than you" guy anyway. Knicks have nothing to offer that the Wolves wouldn't just hang up the phone.

And you know this because you are...? Other than this being a made up rumor, you have no idea what the Wolves want to do with Rubio any more than Knick fans have about what Jackson wants to do with any of their players. So I really don't understand why fans say something like this. Just because you really want to believe something doesn't make it true, no matter how adamant you say it.
Ace_Rockola
Rookie

Post#110 » by Ace_Rockola » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:12 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Ace_Rockola wrote:I know this is just some BS rumor and whatever. It's like saying "the Knicks are interested in LeBron James" sure they are, but it's not going to happen. Wolves are not looking to move Rubio at all. AT ALL. He's a "he's more valuable to us than you" guy anyway. Knicks have nothing to offer that the Wolves wouldn't just hang up the phone.

And you know this because you are...? Other than this being a made up rumor, you have no idea what the Wolves want to do with Rubio any more than Knick fans have about what Jackson wants to do with any of their players. So I really don't understand why fans say something like this. Just because you really want to believe something doesn't make it true, no matter how adamant you say it.

Because of everything Flip had said about Rubio and all information that has come out about him. Flip is on a radio show here weekly. Tyus Jones wasnt drafted to take over starting PG duties, he was drafted to be Rubios backup.
Ace_Rockola
Rookie

Post#111 » by Ace_Rockola » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:14 pm

PS Rubio's injury history isn't some long lingering things or reoccuring things. He tore his ACL 3/4 thru his rookie year and last year 5 games in he had a BAD ankle sprain (watch the video)
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by moocow007 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Ace_Rockola wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Because of everything Flip had said about Rubio and all information that has come out about him. Flip is on a radio show here weekly. Tyus Jones wasnt drafted to take over starting PG duties, he was drafted to be Rubios backup.

And what would you want Flip to say when asked if the Wolves are looking to move Rubio? "Yeah, we are."? Of course he's going to say that Rubio is their starting PG, that they love him, that he isn't going anywhere and there are absolutely no plans on trading him. No GM would say they are actively shopping a player.
Ace_Rockola
Rookie

Post#113 » by Ace_Rockola » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Local media guys (very much in the know with Flip) have made it quite clear. He tells them things off the record and they basically tell the public without saying "this if what Flip told me" Also again, Knicks are not good trade partners for the wolves for any player because they don't have anything the Wolves want.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#114 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:01 pm

No, this was a fan writer site speculation, the Knicks have no interest in Rubio, the Wolves would have to include a future pick or another young promising player and take back the worst contract the Knicks have to get the them to take him off your hands. Keep him.
Image?
Ace_Rockola
Rookie

Post#115 » by Ace_Rockola » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:03 pm

stuporman wrote:

No, this was a fan writer site speculation, the Knicks have no interest in Rubio, the Wolves would have to include a future pick or another young promising player and take back the worst contract the Knicks have to get the them to take him off your hands. Keep him.

Exactly, it's some crappy blog writer speculation of what "might the knicks do?" and then you guys create a thread for it.
And we will quite happily keep him, we know what he does when hes on the court.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#116 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Ace_Rockola wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Exactly, it's some crappy blog writer speculation of what "might the knicks do?" and then you guys create a thread for it.
And we will quite happily keep him, we know what he does when hes on the court.

In the summer people make threads about anything, it doesn't mean a damm thing. So it's cleared up, Knicks don't want him, most fans don't want him other than a few fanboys who fell in love with him before he was drafted and will always crush on him but that is no indicator of the majority of Knicks fans. Wolves want to keep him, there's not much more to be said, it's settled. See ya, good luck with those young guns, there's alot of potential there.
Image?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#117 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Well the Knicks are closer to getting Rubio than Durant...but the problem is, the opposition will double and leave Ricky wide open every time.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,138

Post#118 » by Fat Kat » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:38 pm

It's more than his jumper

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Ace_Rockola
Rookie

Post#119 » by Ace_Rockola » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:42 pm

Fat Kat wrote:It's more than his jumper

Yeah his jumper looked better at the beginning of last season before his injury, he just has alot of trouble finishing around the rim. And again, us wolves fans hope he improves but he's still the most impactful player on the court.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#120 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:It's more than his jumper

Damn, his shot chart is out here looking like Winslow's

Return to New York Knicks