ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Fear the Walking Dead

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Re: OT: Fear the Walking Dead 

Post#101 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:56 pm

moocow007 wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but the team that has been writing and producing the WD (and now FWD) is not the same crew that the show originally started with way back right?

That's right.

That's what I thought. I'm thinking, this can't possibly be the same crew that started the original series with some a bang.

That team would be Frank Darabont, who is currently suing AMC.

Darabont developed and executive-produced the first season of The Walking Dead, the AMC series based on Robert Kirkman's comic book of the same name.[17][18] Darabont recalled first coming across the series in a comic book store in Burbank, California in 2005.[19] When Darabont became interested, Kirkman called it "extremely flattering" and went on to say that "he definitely cares about the original source material, and you can tell that in the way he's adapting it."[20] Darabont first initiated a deal with NBC for The Walking Dead, but was later declined and eventually brought it to AMC, who picked it up based on the source material and Darabont's involvement.[21] Darabont wrote and directed the pilot and was executive producer of the first season along with Gale Anne Hurd.[22][23] The series features a number of actors who have regularly worked with Darabont in the past, including Jeffrey DeMunn, Laurie Holden and Melissa McBride. The series earned positive reviews upon release and the pilot received 5.3 million viewers, making it the most-watched series premiere episode of any AMC television series.[24]

In July 2011, Darabont was fired from the position as showrunner.[25] Initial reports suggested that he was unable to adjust to the schedule of running a television series;[25] however, it was later confirmed that he was fired due to the show's reduced budget (twice as many episodes for 20% less of a budget) and his strained relationship with the executives of AMC.[26]

TBH, rewatching season 1, it wasn't all that great but the writing was A1. As far as FTWD, I'd say give it time. Episode 2 was better BUT there were still plenty of :banghead:, :noway: moments.
Spoiler:
I'm guessing the daughter bites it after going back to see Randy from the Wire.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
PG: Toney Parker
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF:
PF:
C: Nikola Vucevic
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#102 » by islanders11040 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:02 pm

omerome wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:If these boring-ass characters met up with Rick and the crew in the Walking Dead after this gets cancelled, I officially f*cking quit.

I would be surprised if they lasted that long.

MeanwHope it just set the record for highest number for viewers for a cable premiere EVER. So it may last that long.

How many different people posted in this thread so quickly is a good indicator of how popular it is.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,748

Post#103 » by omerome » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:08 pm

islanders11040 wrote:
omerome wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:If these boring-ass characters met up with Rick and the crew in the Walking Dead after this gets cancelled, I officially f*cking quit.

I would be surprised if they lasted that long.

MeanwHope it just set the record for highest number for viewers for a cable premiere EVER. So it may last that long.

How many different people posted in this thread so quickly is a good indicator of how popular it is.

I'm talking about the characters lasting long. They seem so "wimpish" and pathetic compared to the Walking Dead cast. The show is popular because people will watch zombie anything.
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:30 pm

omerome wrote:
islanders11040 wrote:
omerome wrote:I would be surprised if they lasted that long.

I'm talking about the characters lasting long. They seem so "wimpish" and pathetic compared to the Walking Dead cast. The show is popular because people will watch zombie anything.

I think they match up pretty well to the original characters with the exception of Rick, Glenn and Shane. I think a lot of people forget that Daryl and Carol were throwaway characters that got the chance to evolve, give these characters the same chance. Nevertheless, besides the Mom and Tobias (the student) I don't see it for any of these characters.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
SF:
PF:
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#105 » by TheBigBoss » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:48 pm

Are any of you guys watching the Strain? I didn't see yesterdays episode, but its starting to get really good imo, its better than Walking Dead imo.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,251

Post#106 » by Knicks Byke » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:52 pm

will continue to watch for the sister
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#107 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:33 pm

Why do people like Tobias so much? I think that he sucks. How does he know so much about what's going on? Everyone is clueless except for him? C'mon son
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#108 » by AmazingJason » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:17 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:Why do people like Tobias so much? I think that he sucks. How does he know so much about what's going on? Everyone is clueless except for him? C'mon son

The writers were probably pimple-faced chubs back in HS.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#109 » by AmazingJason » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:19 pm

Knicks Bycke wrote:will continue to watch for the sister

She is so hot. And she loves the chocolate d*ck, which makes her so much hotter.

The only thing that can save the show is the dad making a move on a fresh piece of ass.

El Poochio - POBO

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,113

Post#110 » by moocow007 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:20 pm

Brooklyn_Yards wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
That's right.

That's what I thought. I'm thinking, this can't possibly be the same crew that started the original series with some a bang.

Darabont developed and executive-produced the first season of The Walking Dead, the AMC series based on Robert Kirkman's comic book of the same name.[17][18] Darabont recalled first coming across the series in a comic book store in Burbank, California in 2005.[19] When Darabont became interested, Kirkman called it "extremely flattering" and went on to say that "he definitely cares about the original source material, and you can tell that in the way he's adapting it."[20] Darabont first initiated a deal with NBC for The Walking Dead, but was later declined and eventually brought it to AMC, who picked it up based on the source material and Darabont's involvement.[21] Darabont wrote and directed the pilot and was executive producer of the first season along with Gale Anne Hurd.[22][23] The series features a number of actors who have regularly worked with Darabont in the past, including Jeffrey DeMunn, Laurie Holden and Melissa McBride. The series earned positive reviews upon release and the pilot received 5.3 million viewers, making it the most-watched series premiere episode of any AMC television series.[24]

In July 2011, Darabont was fired from the position as showrunner.[25] Initial reports suggested that he was unable to adjust to the schedule of running a television series;[25] however, it was later confirmed that he was fired due to the show's reduced budget (twice as many episodes for 20% less of a budget) and his strained relationship with the executives of AMC.[26]

TBH, rewatching season 1, it wasn't all that great but the writing was A1. As far as FTWD, I'd say give it time. Episode 2 was better BUT there were still plenty of :banghead:, :noway: moments.
Spoiler:

Yeah it's the writing that I'm referring to. I've said several times that I would love to have the writers of Scandal or some such show write TWD...especially during some of the brutal middle seasons. Right now for FTWD? I think half you guys can probably write just was good as the current guys.
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#111 » by AmazingJason » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:20 pm

Brooklyn_Yards wrote:
omerome wrote:
islanders11040 wrote:MeanwHope it just set the record for highest number for viewers for a cable premiere EVER. So it may last that long.

I think they match up pretty well to the original characters with the exception of Rick, Glenn and Shane. I think a lot of people forget that Daryl and Carol were throwaway characters that got the chance to evolve, give these characters the same chance. Nevertheless, besides the Mom and Tobias (the student) I don't see it for any of these characters.

Oh great, with the exception of the two best characters of TWD.

El Poochio - POBO

AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#112 » by AmazingJason » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:22 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Brooklyn_Yards wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Spoiler:

Yeah it's the writing that I'm referring to. I've said several times that I would love to have the writers of Scandal or some such show write TWD...especially during some of the brutal middle seasons. Right now for FTWD? I think half you guys can probably write just was good as the current guys.

The writers of Scandal, lol. You watch Season 4? They basically destroyed the show. Say what you want about TWD, overall it's better quality and much more realistic than Scandal. That's coming from a huge, addicted fan.

El Poochio - POBO

NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#113 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:23 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:Why do people like Tobias so much? I think that he sucks. How does he know so much about what's going on? Everyone is clueless except for him? C'mon son

Bro I'm still trying to figure out why people like him so much...I don't see anything
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#114 » by AmazingJason » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:25 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:

Bro I'm still trying to figure out why people like him so much...I don't see anything

Cause in comparison, he's sort of alright. Everyone else can't act for sh*t and is boring as f*ck.

El Poochio - POBO

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,113

Post#115 » by moocow007 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:26 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Brooklyn_Yards wrote:

Spoiler:

The writers of Scandal, lol. You watch Season 4? They basically destroyed the show. Say what you want about TWD, overall it's better quality and much more realistic than Scandal. That's coming from a huge, addicted fan.

Hey now...I said that before Season 4 lol.

But still. Anything. Heck, they could have had Ron Leavitt and Michael Moye write this series and it would have been better (since it would have been hilarious).
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#116 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:39 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:

Cause in comparison, he's sort of alright. Everyone else can't act for sh*t and is boring as f*ck.

I feel the exact same way about him :lol:
The character I like the most so far is the Johnny Depp looking dude
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#117 » by Thorn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:43 pm

Brooklyn_Yards wrote:
omerome wrote:
islanders11040 wrote:MeanwHope it just set the record for highest number for viewers for a cable premiere EVER. So it may last that long.

This.

The producers/writers/show runners have said they want to explore the whole transition from normal life to survivors, many people will not make it... many will make the leap to survivor, but it will be a journey. They picked main characters with very pedestrian lives. Other than the barber, who has a past...

I am fine with this.

My girlfriend is less than happy, and i get it , you go from watching a Samurai, an Archer, A Sharpshooter, and a Sheriff... to a teacher, and a guidance counselor with a junkie kid... and it can feel like a huge departure. This series however is about the journey. Many people at first struggled with Michone (the writers and show runners) not sure if the audience would "buy in" we clearly did.

We just need to follow this group, there will be deaths along the way, people will come and go. But most survivors are not born they are breed into that role. These characters are behind the learning curve, who will catch up and catch fire?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#118 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:01 pm

I don't like any of these characters yet...they're still struggling with the stupidity of their existence.

Case in point, the lead male/father figure is trying to run TWO families, neither of which are listening/following directions. There's love and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is where you see the neighbor getting attacked, do nothing but also just STAY there. *shakes head*

I do like the concept that media hasn't made society any smarter but more jaded and so cynical that they miss the signs of danger.

I hope, really HOPE steak knife "Baby Hurley" at the high school gets eaten. This kid is a plot device when he conveniently showed up at the school smarter than the average bear. I mean, come on...

Got three more episodes to show me something before I walk. With Westworld on its way, there's too much good TV.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,224

Post#119 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:11 pm

As a hole the walking dead has had a lot of boring, clich'ish characters. So far Fear is more of the same. It kind of feels like it should be on lifetime. Maybe the characters will wake up and become more interesting when things hit the fan....or they introduce some better ones.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:59 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Brooklyn_Yards wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Spoiler:

The thing is, they give different episodes to different writers and directors which is why we have some great episodes and then some Beth episodes, LOL. I think the writing has gotten more stable since Scott Gimple has taken over (season 4-current) but there was a lot to clean up after Darabont and Marzza were let go. It also doesn't help that they stretched the series to 16 episodes. Overall, there are worse shows on TV than TWD and FTWD. My biggest critique of FTWD is that it doesn't have a Shane, Dale or Hershel to help alleviate the "blah acting" in critical scenes.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
SF:
PF:

Return to New York Knicks