ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What book are you currently reading?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,127

Re: OT: What book are you currently reading? 

Post#81 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 9, 2015 9:50 pm

Mitch Albom's books are also great. "Tuesday's with Morrie", "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", etc. Albom, for those that are not aware, is a sports columnist and broadcasting personality (he was on "The Sports Reporters" on ESPN) as well as a Musician and a Playwright. Very multi-talented guy.

"The Book of Five Rings" written Miyamoto Musashi (a Japanese swordsman in the 16th century) is also a very good read if you don't mind the way it's presented. It's actually 5 separate writings preaching to his pupils his philosophy as a swordsmen but can be used to more or less govern how you see and interact with the world. It's similar to though not the same as the more famous "Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

Also consider "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and "American Psycho" by Brett Ellis.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#82 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Sep 9, 2015 10:30 pm

moocow007 wrote:Mitch Albom's books are also great. "Tuesday's with Morrie", "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", etc. Albom, for those that are not aware, is a sports columnist and broadcasting personality (he was on "The Sports Reporters" on ESPN) as well as a Musician and a Playwright. Very multi-talented guy.

"The Book of Five Rings" written Miyamoto Musashi (a Japanese swordsman in the 16th century) is also a very good read if you don't mind the way it's presented. It's actually 5 separate writings preaching to his pupils his philosophy as a swordsmen but can be used to more or less govern how you see and interact with the world. It's similar to though not the same as the more famous "Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

Also consider "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and "American Psycho" by Brett Ellis.

The Book of Five Rings I've had on the Kindle app on my phone for months. Heard great things about it so I downloaded it, but never got around to reading it.

Read Art of War - enjoyed it for what it was (not as like a leisure read).
BullBearBidness
Pro Prospect
And1: 379

Re: RE: Re: OT: What book are you currently reading? 

Post#83 » by BullBearBidness » Wed Sep 9, 2015 10:44 pm

greenhughes wrote:I read nothing. I read all day at work.

This.

Between a career, sleep (5 hours or less each night), managing a household, exercising, and trying to have an extracurricular/social life, there is no time for a damned book. I guess I could sub a book for realGM, but why would I do a dumb thing like that?

Once you finish school and enter adulthood, life should be more about living your own book, rather than reading about what others have done IMO.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#84 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Sep 9, 2015 11:36 pm

BullBearBidness wrote:

This.

Between a career, sleep (5 hours or less each night), managing a household, exercising, and trying to have an extracurricular/social life, there is no time for a damned book. I guess I could sub a book for realGM, but why would I do a dumb thing like that?

Once you finish school and enter adulthood, life should be more about living your own book, rather than reading about what others have done IMO.

Reading a book isn't about living another person's life - it's entertainment. Do you think you live another person's life when you watch a tv show or a movie?
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#85 » by BKlutch » Wed Sep 9, 2015 11:58 pm

BullBearBidness wrote:

This.

I'm at work 9 hours a day and my commute is almost 1 hour door to door (take a subway). So, I read on the train, read when I'm alone, and learn lots of stuff. It's how I grow and stay in sync with the world. I know it's hard and there's never enough time. It's good to read, but it doesn't mean you're not ok if you don't.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#86 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:12 am

BullBearBidness wrote:

This.

That you have no time for reading is certainly reasonable but to suggest that reading a book is simply about living through the lives of those depicted in the book is a gross understatement on the value of reading.
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#87 » by majortom71 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:11 am

BullBearBidness wrote:

This.

I feel the same regarding lack of time. At work most of my time is spent reading documentation and by end of the day I'm worn out. For this reason I've looked at reading fiction mostly fantasies. I am currently going through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Usually I have to reserve weekends to get my personal reading done.

Fiction books I am waiting to read are:
Earthsea trilogy
The Exorcist
The complete Sherlock Holmes
Watership Down

There are so many good books out there I want to read! :banghead:
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#88 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:57 am

So, I was almost done with Sacrifice (Star Wars book) and was going to read one of the newer ones, so I added them to my iPhone via iTunes. Well, when I did that, all of the books on iBooks got deleted...including the one I was reading...so...****. Not a huge deal, gonna finish it today probably anyway (only like 25 pages from being done - still others left in the series/arc, though).

Instead of putting them all back on (or starting one of the newer Star Wars books), I decided to start reading Darknet ( http://www.amazon.com/Darknet-Matthew-Mather-ebook/dp/B00R52OLSI ). It had great reviews - only a little bit into it, and I'm digging it so far.
Americafkya
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#89 » by Americafkya » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Some good stuff on this thread so far.

I've just finished read "Metro 2033". It's a Russian story about survivors in a post-apocolyptic Moscow who live in the metro system. Each station functions as its own independent political unit with government, police, ideologies, and economic policies.

Some have different religions, others are communist or fascist. Some are in leagues together or are strong economically. It tells the story of an impending doom coming from the surface, mutated creatures of sorts finally getting in to the metro, and a young boy that has to help save the system.

Honestly the storyline, premise, and action in the book are great, but it could have been better, I feel like a lot was lost in translation. all in all a great read, and hopefully someone out there picks it up and improves on it. It is ripe for great fan fiction and even an imporvement. I'd love to see a "Metro 2050" or something written by a truly great writer.

The book touches on a lot of political issues, religious issues, and environmental issues as well. Plus it shows just how asburd religion is from the standpoint of people living in a ruined world.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Asso ... 5194596478

my bball news agency's facebook page
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#90 » by King of Canada » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm going to request Scarface's biography "Diary of a Madman" from the library. Face is a good dude. Should be a good read.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#91 » by NYKAL » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:26 pm

I do much of my reading on the bus/subway. I burn about 3 and a half hrs a day in travel time.
stopstandthere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#92 » by stopstandthere » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

stopstandthere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#93 » by stopstandthere » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:43 am

BullBearBidness wrote:

This.

Well, it is not just reading about what others have done but enriching my own book in life.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#94 » by BKlutch » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:59 pm

NYKAL wrote:I do much of my reading on the bus/subway. I burn about 3 and a half hrs a day in travel time.

Do you read paper books or on a mobile device? I do my subway reading on my phone. It's much easier to carry.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#95 » by Rasho Brezec » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Kindle >>>>>
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#96 » by King of Canada » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Kindle >>>>>

Me too unless it's from the library. Our library system doesn't work with Kindle. :banghead:
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#97 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:17 pm

BKlutch wrote:
NYKAL wrote:I do much of my reading on the bus/subway. I burn about 3 and a half hrs a day in travel time.

Do you read paper books or on a mobile device? I do my subway reading on my phone. It's much easier to carry.

I still read them the old fashioned way :) I've tried to kindle and its nice/convenient but, I guess I'm slow to change.
VantumNoir
Freshman
And1: 23

Post#98 » by VantumNoir » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:45 pm

Currently reading The Wisdom Of Insecurity by Alan Watts
VantumNoir
Freshman
And1: 23

Post#99 » by VantumNoir » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:47 pm

NYKAL wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

I still read them the old fashioned way :) I've tried to kindle and its nice/convenient but, I guess I'm slow to change.

We look at screens more than everin society so paperbacks are to me a visual vacation.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#100 » by BKlutch » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:59 pm

NYKAL wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

It really doesn't matter how you read. It matters that you read. I just saw that ebook usage dropped 10% and the number of people reading paper books has increased for the first time. It's really whatever works.

Return to New York Knicks