ImageImageImageImageImage

Sports illustrated nba top 30 rankings

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Re: Sports illustrated nba top 30 rankings 

Post#61 » by King of Canada » Thu Sep 3, 2015 2:44 pm

The NBA is pretty weak right now. Not a lot of really dominant guys, but lots of guys who are succeeding in our current soft era.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Dirkbaka
Banned User
And1: 446

Post#62 » by Dirkbaka » Thu Sep 3, 2015 2:56 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:You can't be a top 10 player in this league averaging less points per game than Andrew Wiggins and George Hill. Kawhi is great defensively but, more impact on this game is made offensively. Pg when healthy is a better version of Kawhi. Anthony Davis is great don't get me wrong but, he's done exactly what to be put ahead of Melo, PG, LMA, hell even Cousins. And don't even get me started on westbrook but, I'll let that one slide...

Take his team to the playoffs in the west in his 3rd year with a horrible supporting cast that doesn't fit together.

Putting up 31/11/2asts/1.3stls/3blks in the playoffs where it matters most, vs the champs, something none of the guys you listed have ever done in their careers (talking about the numbers he put up). You know little things like that.

Dude you may have a point with Kwahi but you are just dead wrong with AD. Like as in I question your complete knowledge of the game by your statements on AD. The guy is an absolute monster.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#63 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:00 pm

Dirkbaka wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:You can't be a top 10 player in this league averaging less points per game than Andrew Wiggins and George Hill. Kawhi is great defensively but, more impact on this game is made offensively. Pg when healthy is a better version of Kawhi. Anthony Davis is great don't get me wrong but, he's done exactly what to be put ahead of Melo, PG, LMA, hell even Cousins. And don't even get me started on westbrook but, I'll let that one slide...

Take his team to the playoffs in the west in his 3rd year with a horrible supporting cast that doesn't fit together.

Putting up 31/11/2asts/1.3stls/3blks in the playoffs where it matters most, vs the champs, something none of the guys you listed have ever done in their careers (talking about the numbers he put up). You know little things like that.

Dude you may have a point with Kwahi but you are just dead wrong with AD. Like as in I question your complete knowledge of the game by your statements on AD. The guy is an absolute monster.

I'm not trying to make this a Melo vs. everybody argument but, Melo has been doing that exact thing for years but, I get that AD is the new flavor of the month like Steph. Again not saying he isn't great but, let us let him do it consistently before we start anointing people top 5 after 1 great year. AD can be great maybe even all-time great but, give it time my dude and settle down with the questioning my knowledge chit it's just an opinion different from yours.
Dirkbaka
Banned User
And1: 446

Post#64 » by Dirkbaka » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:06 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Dirkbaka wrote:

I'm not trying to make this a Melo vs. everybody argument but, Melo has been doing that exact thing for years but, I get that AD is the new flavor of the month like Steph. Again not saying he isn't great but, let us let him do it consistently before we start anointing people top 5 after 1 great year. AD can be great maybe even all-time great but, give it time my dude and settle down with the questioning my knowledge chit it's just an opinion different from yours.

No there is no opinion here. By any metric you can use (regular stats, advanced stats, accomplishments at said age, playoff stats at said age) AD blows away the competition. There is no opinion here. You are the only one that doesn't see it.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#65 » by E-Balla » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:20 pm

moocow007 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:The overrating of Kawhi Leonard and Anthony Davis really needs to stop.

How are they overrated? Kawhi is the DPOY as a SF, first option on the Spurs, and he was deserving of both. If he's not averaging 20+ in his prime I'll be surprised. And don't get me started on Davis. Name a player as good as Davis this young that isn't arguably top 5 ever?

So this list is based on future projection as well as past performances (see Duncan)? Really people don't see this? Folks do the same exact thing in BAT's.

It isn't a consistent list and it's dumb but Kawhi was the first option last year and the DPOY last year. He deserves to be top 15 (maybe not top 10 but if he's 10th that's not too bad). Now AD is easily top 10. Probably top 5 next year if they're projecting.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#66 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:21 pm

Dirkbaka wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Dirkbaka wrote:Take his team to the playoffs in the west in his 3rd year with a horrible supporting cast that doesn't fit together.

No there is no opinion here. By any metric you can use (regular stats, advanced stats, accomplishments at said age, playoff stats at said age) AD blows away the competition. There is no opinion here. You are the only one that doesn't see it.

Again dude I'm not saying AD isn't great..He is. I'm also not putting him above the guys I listed. It's an opinion based on the fact that he has yet to play a full season (injury prone). He is not as good defensively as people like you tend to believe. And he's only put up top 10 worthy numbers for 1 year. Anthony Davis is an awesome player and I would love to have him on the Knicks and maybe one day he will be the best player in the league but, again like I said give it time.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#67 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:31 pm

This thread is so blasphemous. The 2016 playoffs will put all of this to rest...Curry is going home early
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,286

Post#68 » by RHODEY » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:35 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:

Harden is a superstar. He was 2nd in MVP voting and I think he was 4th or 5th last season so whether he's a legitimate MVP to you doesn't mean anything.

Harden is manufactured to be popular, but he has the largest "smoke and mirrors" aspect to his game than anyone else in the top ten.
Similar to Rajon Rondo I predict he will fall off as he will continue to be exposed in the playoffs against real competition . Sure he's still maybe a 10-15 guy but not really more than that when you take away the freebee stats. Superstar? LOL he is Hardly that.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#69 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:45 pm

RHODEY wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:

Harden is a superstar. He was 2nd in MVP voting and I think he was 4th or 5th last season so whether he's a legitimate MVP to you doesn't mean anything.

Harden is manufactured to be popular, but he has the largest "smoke and mirrors" aspect to his game than anyone else in the top ten.
Similar to Rajon Rondo I predict he will fall off as he will continue to be exposed in the playoffs against real competition . Sure he's still maybe a 10-15 guy but not really more than that when you take away the freebee stats. Superstar? LOL he is Hardly that.

The disrespect is out of control now. I guess games 1, 2, and 4 against the Warriors in the WCF didn't happen. I guess they don't count as "real competition." I guess game 7 against the Clippers didn't happen, or his 42 points and game winner against the Mavs in game 3 too. He's definitely top 5...stop the nonsense. Wth are freebee stats? I can Hardly take what you said seriously.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,090

Post#70 » by moocow007 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 4:27 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:

The disrespect is out of control now. I guess games 1, 2, and 4 against the Warriors in the WCF didn't happen. I guess they don't count as "real competition." I guess game 7 against the Clippers didn't happen, or his 42 points and game winner against the Mavs in game 3 too. He's definitely top 5...stop the nonsense. Wth are freebee stats? I can Hardly take what you said seriously.

Harden is top 5. The arguments are just getting absolute nuts. Manufactured now? So the other 29 teams in the NBA must have bought shares in the company that manufactured Harden and allowing him to abuse them regularly even though he apparently can't do that on his own.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#71 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Sep 3, 2015 4:38 pm

moocow007 wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Harden is top 5. The arguments are just getting absolute nuts. Manufactured now? So the other 29 teams in the NBA must have bought shares in the company that manufactured Harden and allowing him to abuse them regularly even though he apparently can't do that on his own.

They're running out of material man
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#72 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 3, 2015 4:51 pm

a lot of people have been calling Harden a manufactured star

I dont really get it

I understand why he's popular with the kids especially
swagger and offense to spare

but his attitude sucks and his defense is crap and I simply don't like him or anyone on that team really

but I recognize that when Harden comes to town your defense and passing better be on point because he's gonna gamble, he's gonna get calls and he's gonna put up points
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#73 » by MrProb » Thu Sep 3, 2015 5:11 pm

Stop with "today stars are soft" and the "back in the days" please.

Game evolves all the time, players do too, stop comparing this and that such disrespect to the game and players who put in hardwork days in and days out.
Mike Breen
Analyst
And1: 2,072

Post#74 » by Mike Breen » Thu Sep 3, 2015 5:29 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
koogiking wrote:lol Draymond Green better than Kyrie Irving and Dwight Howard?

people are obsessed with "2 way players" these days...it's getting ridiculous

Yeah they should know that you're only supposed to play offense in basketball.
And just like that, the lead has been cut to 8!

-Mike Breen
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#75 » by xNewYorkMadex » Thu Sep 3, 2015 5:37 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:This thread is so blasphemous. The 2016 playoffs will put all of this to rest...Curry is going home early

Tape you had Rockets being the best team out West last season. Didnt you bet $ Rockets were going to beat the Warriors in the WCF?

Kind of unfair to then trash the team as if they were bums and say Curry had a beast team around him, when you originally thought the Rockets and Harden would still beat them. Harden couldve guarded Curry if he wanted to step up and prove who was the real MVP.

Curry and Harden are honestly neck and neck, but the season he had last season raises him above Harden. You want to wait until next yr to put this to rest, but you just cant ignore what just happened in 2015, which is the reason why the vast majority ranks Curry ahead of Harden. The WCF last season, Curry was much more effective. Harden had 3 incredible games, but 2 atrocious games as well. Including a game he nearly had more turnovers than points.

I dont even want to sound like im trying to disrespect Harden. If anything Harden is probably 5th on my list with Curry 4th. But theres no way I can put Harden over Curry as of right now.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#76 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Sep 3, 2015 5:39 pm

Mike Breen wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
koogiking wrote:lol Draymond Green better than Kyrie Irving and Dwight Howard?

people are obsessed with "2 way players" these days...it's getting ridiculous

Yeah they should know that you're only supposed to play offense in basketball.

It's getting ridiculous, especially when I see statements like "I'd rather have KP over a healthy KD because KD is one dimensional and KP can be a dominant 2 way player." Draymond Green has no business being where he's at on this list, but since he's a "2 way player," let the overrating commence.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM

Post#77 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Sep 3, 2015 5:50 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:This thread is so blasphemous. The 2016 playoffs will put all of this to rest...Curry is going home early

Tape you had Rockets being the best team out West last season. Didnt you bet $ Rockets were going to beat the Warriors in the WCF?

Kind of unfair to then trash the team as if they were bums and say Curry had a beast team around him, when you originally thought the Rockets and Harden would still beat them. Harden couldve guarded Curry if he wanted to step up and prove who was the real MVP.

Curry and Harden are honestly neck and neck, but the season he had last season raises him above Harden. You want to wait until next yr to put this to rest, but you just cant ignore what just happened in 2015, which is the reason why the vast majority ranks Curry ahead of Harden. The WCF last season, Curry was much more effective. Harden had 3 incredible games, but 2 atrocious games as well. Including a game he nearly had more turnovers than points.

I dont even want to sound like im trying to disrespect Harden. If anything Harden is probably 5th on my list with Curry 4th. But theres no way I can put Harden over Curry as of right now.

Y'all are taking that too seriously lol. I bet on them for fun...I had money to blow. I never said that the Rockets were bums, but they weren't a "great team," I mean, let's be real. That roster wasn't up there with the Clippers, Warriors, or Spurs. Harden guarding Curry would be foolish tho, he had to do way too much on offense to then be tasked with guarding Curry. What I saw in 2015 was the Rockets missing 2 starters facing a fully healthy GS team, and Curry being guarded by Jason Terry while Harden was being guarded by Klay and Iggy. It's not that surprising to me that he ended up being more effective. These playoffs can't come soon enough for me
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by moocow007 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 6:22 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:a lot of people have been calling Harden a manufactured star

I dont really get it

but his attitude sucks and his defense is crap and I simply don't like him or anyone on that team really

but I recognize that when Harden comes to town your defense and passing better be on point because he's gonna gamble, he's gonna get calls and he's gonna put up points

So the other 29 teams, because they also don't like his attitude or swagger or popularity with the kids let him abuse them because? You don't need to be liked to be a star. I mean I can argue that Curry is also being manufactured (as the "perfect player and person") and that doesn't impact whether he's a star on the court or not. Plenty of stars throughout the history of the NBA weren't liked, that didn't mean they weren't stars. You don't have to be liked to be stars. You have to be liked to be liked.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#79 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 3, 2015 6:27 pm

moocow007 wrote:

I dont really get it

So the other 29 teams, because they also don't like his attitude or swagger or popularity with the kids let him abuse them because? You don't need to be liked to be a star. I mean I can argue that Curry is also being manufactured (as the "perfect player and person") and that doesn't impact whether he's a star on the court or not. Plenty of stars throughout the history of the NBA weren't liked, that didn't mean they weren't stars.

which was my point
I don't really get why people call him a manufactured star, I said

I don't like him or his attitude or his style of play or the calls he gets but he's far from the first player to get these calls and no one can argue his dynamic talent or his appeal to the youngins
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by moocow007 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 6:27 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I dont really get it

So the other 29 teams, because they also don't like his attitude or swagger or popularity with the kids let him abuse them because? You don't need to be liked to be a star. I mean I can argue that Curry is also being manufactured (as the "perfect player and person") and that doesn't impact whether he's a star on the court or not. Plenty of stars throughout the history of the NBA weren't liked, that didn't mean they weren't stars.

which was my point
I don't really get why people call him a manufactured star, I said

I don't like him or his attitude or his style of play or the calls he gets but he's far from the first player to get these calls and no one can argue his dynamic talent or his appeal to the youngins

Oh gotcha.

Return to New York Knicks