ImageImageImageImageImage

Reddit Player Ranking

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,844

Re: RE: Re: Reddit Player Ranking 

Post#41 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:48 pm

E-Balla wrote:
GONYK wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:Davis had a better season than Curry last year. You're also selling the offensive capabilities of the other Warriors players a little short. Most big men are dependent on their teammates creating looks for them so how is that a knock on Davis? He also dominated the Warriors in his 1st ever playoff series. Davis>Curry last season and should be again this season.

He's also wildly underselling AD's offensive ability. He more than capable of creating his own scoring opportunities with the faceup jumper, as well as off the dribble. You don't score 24.4 ppg (slightly more than Curry) being totally dependent on your teammates.

The only thing that he's really missing is a back to the basket game, which will develop more as he gets stronger. His strength is really his only defensive weakness as well.

Davis averaged 24.4 PPG but 72% of his points came off assists. In possessions where Davis holds the ball more than 2 seconds (meaning it's not a catch and shoot) he's devastatingly average. Also you say he can create off the dribble but he's 40% from the field when he takes 2 or more dribbles with the ball (aka not good). He's missing a faceup game along with that back to basket game. And plenty of guys have scored 20+ ppg while being dependent on teammates. Davis just happens to be the best PNR finisher in the league by a distance (he's about 8% better than the next high volume PNR finisher efficiency wise).

And the other Warriors players are all decent to above average offensively but outside of Klay and Steph they're not #2 offense good.

Also Davis has a ton of defensive weaknesses right now. He's weak, not good on the boards, doesn't get back to the rim fast enough to contest a lot of shots, and he's easily taken out of the game on that end. There's a reason his teams have always played close to the worst defense in the NBA. He's not bad but he's not really great yet on that end.

Davis' numbers are amazing and he has the raw talent to be the GOAT but he still has a long way to go. Right now Westbrook, Durant, Curry, Lebron, Harden, and CP3 clearly impact the game more than him and Love would also be better if on a team built around him. I do think Davis will take a step forward defensively this year and by the end of the season be better than everyone outside of Lebron, Curry, KD, and WB.

In post up situations he ranks slightly above average in the back to the basket game.
His rebounding is underrated. Its more of a he doesent go for the rebounds than he tries to get the rebounds. He ranks 7th in contested rebounds per game, and 7th in terms of rebound chances taken (like boxout wins, rebound gets, etc) fro all players with 9 or more Rebounds per game. he ranks 0.2% worse than cousins.
He just isnt the primary rebounder on the team, and tends to go on the break.
His defense is pretty solid, its just that his weaknesses coincide with the teams weaknesses on defense (his P and R defense is attrocious, and he is working with the best P and R defensive coach in the league imo).
He is weak, but he gained 12 pounds while maintaining 10% body fat. I'd say he is stronger than the average pf by a longshot now. They were league average post all star break, and I recall they were actually quite good with him on the floor on defense.
Im not sure why people are offended by his assisted basket ratings, its still a basket.

In terms of him "creating shots for himeself" I guess we can look at that as an ISO. I recall that some people think he was league average for a big man isolation player because of an article or something, but they accidently put Tyrekes stats instead of Davis's.

in isolation situations he either gets past his man really quickly or doesent do so at all, its enough to count it as an assist.
Davis, in 177 isolations (which is a fairly large amount for a big man, Cousins had 246) He was in the 78th percentile in terms of his ability to score off isolations. A little bit better than lebron, who was at 75th percentile
His assist rate is a result of how quickly he attacks. watching footage, it really seems like even when he isos, he literally starts his attack right after he gets teh ball, as in, there is literally absolutely no delay, meaning an assist would have counted. unfair, but its true. Also,
Not saying he was better than lebron at isos, but he definately was effective.

Davis scored 0.1 more ppp than Cousins, 0.01 more ppp than steph (who had less possessions), 0.07 more ppp than Aldridge(who had less possessions), 0.35 better than Duncan, 0.01 more than Kawhi, etc. (all other than cousins had less possessions)

Now, in an iso situation, ill probably take cousins over Davis, depending on teh defender, especially on stronger ones, but you get the gist. He definately wasnt someone who coulnt be a go-to guy.
He wasnt trancendant, and was worse than Griffin and Marc.

If its about going to him in the clutch

in terms of going to him at the end of the game, he shot 60 fga with the clock at 5 minutes or less, with the score being in the 5 area, which is generally seen as clutch time.
He shot 61.7%. and 60fg is a sizable amount, and most people actually get mad at tyreke because he actually does try to "take the glory" away from davis.

only 10 of these were dunks. 1 was a tip shot 67% assisted

he was 26 of 49 on jump shots, hooks, and layups.

Bring this down to 1 minute, and he was 11 of 16. 45% assisted'

Bring this down to trailing by 3 or fewer and he made 3 of 3, 1 assisted, in the last minute.
in the last 5 minutes, he made 9 of 14, 55% assisted.

he is 9/12 when tied, 55% assisted, last 5 minutes
4/5 when tied in the last minute, 20% assisted.

He is bad when he only takes 1 or 2 dribbles, but he is a 56% shooter when he takes 3-6 dribbles, though he doesent do this much tbh.

42.5% after waiting for 2 or more seconds isnt neccesarily bad, 43-46% is a range where most star players seem to be at (cousins is 43.5% for comparison)
he shoots 43% when taking 6 or more seconds, which is just slightly worse than the average guard it seems (wade shot 43.8%)
and for players at his height, its definately above average (lebron shot 47%, Griffin shot 34%, Kawhi shot 32%,Thompson shot 39%, and tbh they only attempted 0.5 ish more each).
As a passer, in the last 21 games of the season, he averaged 5.2 assist per 100 possessions while DECREASING his turnovers per 100 to 1.9.
This is slightly below Garnetts career average, and Duncan has broken this number 5 times in his whole career.

Also, considering this is for next year, here is what we know about Davis
- he improved defensively, already before going to training camp, and does 20-30 minute drills every practice session (and he has practiced daily pretty much)
- He will be used in Transition, where he ranked in the 98th+ percentile
- He has "definately been working on passing, reading defenses better"
- Kevin Hanson, his personal trainer (imo, without Hanson Davis is probably a Camby type player, just less defensively skilled) said that his back to the basket game will probably be his most noticable improvement.
- He wants to learn how to shoot the 3, and it looks like has a fluid stroke.
- Learning how to pass out of double teams better (where the bulk of his turnovers came from)
- Gonna be a focal point of the offense
- is faster, quicker, stronger, and mor explosive than ever

Edit:
Wait a second, this isnt the general board
screw you google
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Re: Reddit Player Ranking 

Post#42 » by kingquan316 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:23 pm

GONYK wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
You take Steph Curry over Lebron?

Yeah that's a bit far fetched. Lebron IMO is still the top guy in the NBA.

By a pretty wide margin.

It doesn't make sense from a criteria standpoint, to say you weigh playoff performances over everything, then put Steph Curry over a guy who averaged 36/13/9 in the Finals

Only reason I put him above Lebron is because he won the title when they went up against each other. I factor in playoff performance not above everything, only when the talent between players are close and I have a hard time deciding between them. They are tied in my eyes, but that title gives Curry that slight edge at this moment. He won the MVP, and then he backed it up in the playoffs and led his team to the title. If Lebron had Irving and Love with him and beaten the Warriors in the finals, with similar but a little less impressive stats, I would give the nod to Lebron.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,881

Post#43 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:25 pm

kingquan316 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

By a pretty wide margin.

It doesn't make sense from a criteria standpoint, to say you weigh playoff performances over everything, then put Steph Curry over a guy who averaged 36/13/9 in the Finals

Only reason I put him above Lebron is because he won the title when they went up against each other. I factor in playoff performance not above everything, only when the talent between players are close and I have a hard time deciding between them. They are tied in my eyes, but that title gives Curry that slight edge at this moment. He won the MVP, and then he backed it up in the playoffs and led his team to the title. If Lebron had Irving and Love with him and beaten the Warriors in the finals, with similar but a little less impressive stats, I would give the nod to Lebron.

I would think their respective teammates have more to do with the result of the NBA Finals. You are penalizing Lebron for not beating the best team in the league with only Shump, Dellavadova, and JR to pass to.

Lebron was in the running for Finals MVP on a losing team. Steph couldn't even beat out a guy coming off the bench.
kingquan316
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by kingquan316 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:04 pm

GONYK wrote:
kingquan316 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
By a pretty wide margin.

I would think their respective teammates have more to do with the result of the NBA Finals. You are penalizing Lebron for not beating the best team in the league with only Shump, Dellavadova, and JR to pass to.

Lebron was in the running for Finals MVP on a losing team. Steph couldn't even beat out a guy coming off the bench.

Curry was the better player over AI the whole playoffs.

Lebron is a great player, and he had a great finals. Although he didn't shot the ball very efficiently with under 40%. I know fatigue was a part of that, so I'm not gonna fault him on that too much.

I just keep remembering that game 5 in the finals tied 2-2, and Curry hitting that big 3 and scoring 17 points in the 4th qtr. He steps up in big moments, and he is still in his prime, and can get better. Maybe Lebron could of won the finals if he had Love and Irving, but I don't like judging on "what if" scenarios.

If you think Lebron is the better player, u probably won't get much argument from me. Cause I can see why people would think that, I'm just not one of those people at the moment. Maybe all those big shots and big moments from Curry last playoffs is swaying my judgment, but he was so impressive to me.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Re: RE: Re: Reddit Player Ranking 

Post#45 » by DickGrayson » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:20 pm

E-Balla wrote:
GONYK wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Well no sh*t AD is 22 years old. That's not a list of who will be better for your franchise it's a list of who is the best going into next season.

TBH, age isn't even a factor to me. AD is just the better player IMO. Last season, next season, and for the foreseeable future after that.

How in the hell was Davis better last season? Last year Stephen Curry was the best basketball player in the universe. Period.

Davis makes his impact felt on both sides of the ball, so does LeBron. Curry isn't a slouch on defense, but he isn't going to dominate anyone. Bogut, Iguodala, Green and Barnes get that work in.

1A - LeBron
1B - Davis
2. Durant
3. Curry
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#46 » by DickGrayson » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 pm

kingquan316 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

By a pretty wide margin.

Warriors won the title, Steph was without a doubt the best player, but you had guys like Iguodala playing out of his mind to stop the Cavs, it's not like Curry was playing by himself like Iverson was back in the Philly days, a lot of guys wit no offense but great defense. LeBron is the better overall player obviously, but Curry is a close 2nd. Warriors were able to win games or compete when Curry had a poor shooting performance, they had enough great players to make up for it.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#47 » by BKlutch » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:57 pm

kingquan316 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

By a pretty wide margin.

Let's assume that Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love were both in great shapes for the entire playoffs, and the Cavs beat the Warriors. Lebron would have scored less because he wouldn't have been the only scorer on the floor for them, but according to your logic, this would have made him a better player and deserving of being ranked higher over Steph. I don't think so.

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#48 » by GONYK » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:01 pm

BKlutch wrote:
kingquan316 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
By a pretty wide margin.

Let's assume that Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love were both in great shapes for the entire playoffs, and the Cavs beat the Warriors. Lebron would have scored less because he wouldn't have been the only scorer on the floor for them, but according to your logic, this would have made him a better player and deserving of being ranked higher over Steph. I don't think so.

The argument for Steph right now is sort of like saying Steve Nash in the MVP years was a better player than Kobe.

As an individual talent, Nash was never anywhere close. Same with Steph and Lebron IMO
kingquan316
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by kingquan316 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:34 am

BKlutch wrote:
kingquan316 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
By a pretty wide margin.

I use winning as a tiebreaker. I've said point blank that I think that Curry and Lebron are tie in my eyes, and I give Curry the edge (a very slight one) cause he won the MVP and led his team to a title. Not saying Curry will have the better career than Lebron, I'm just saying that at this very moment that his playoff performance last season made me believe that he is the best player right now. Can he repeat the performance next season and lead his team to another title? Maybe, I don't see why not, he's still young and he can still improve even after an MVP season. Or he may regress, and then I'll change my order. Dirk was the best player in the world to me during the 2011 Nba playoffs, cause he was a beast and he was clutch in almost every big moment in that playoffs. Doesn't mean he had a better career than Lebron, but at that moment to me he was the best player in the league.

I'm not gonna change my mind on it, Curry is number 1 at this moment, and we will see if he can lead his team to a repeat next season.
Americafkya
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#50 » by Americafkya » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:59 am

kingquan316 wrote:
I use winning as a tiebreaker. I've said point blank that I think that Curry and Lebron are tie in my eyes, and I give Curry the edge (a very slight one) cause he won the MVP and led his team to a title. Not saying Curry will have the better career than Lebron, I'm just saying that at this very moment that his playoff performance last season made me believe that he is the best player right now. Can he repeat the performance next season and lead his team to another title? Maybe, I don't see why not, he's still young and he can still improve even after an MVP season. Or he may regress, and then I'll change my order. Dirk was the best player in the world to me during the 2011 Nba playoffs, cause he was a beast and he was clutch in almost every big moment in that playoffs. Doesn't mean he had a better career than Lebron, but at that moment to me he was the best player in the league.

I'm not gonna change my mind on it, Curry is number 1 at this moment, and we will see if he can lead his team to a repeat next season.

I think this thread is evidence for the flaw in thinking of "he got the ring, didn't he" or the "Curry vs Lebron" finals bull that the league puts out there. This finals was the Cleveland Cavaliers vs The Golden State Warriors, and due to injuries it was more like Lebron James + good defenders against the Golden State Warriors.

Curry had a good finals, but to say he bested Lebron is ridiculous. It is possible to say that he played better, which I don't think is true, but you can't say he outplayed Lebron. Lebron wasn't matched up with Curry much at all. So how did Curry outplay him? Curry was getting single coverage from the Cavs who had to stay at home on the other 4 all-star or near all-star caliber players on the team. Every time Lebron had the ball he was either swarmed with double or triple teams, or forced into bad long shots because the team had no other offensive weapons.

Curry is a great player, deserving of MVP, and in my opinion a top 10 player in the league. But if he weren't on a stacked team, people wouldn't be treating him this way. The Warriors talent and system allow him to thrive, and the defense behind him is elite. Curry is not the kind of player that can elevate a terrible team to the playoffs or take a decent team to the finals alone. He hasn't proven that yet. Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Harrison Barnes, and Iggy all proved they could play at star or near all-star levels, and beyond them the team still had Bogut, Speights, Livingston and Barbosa. The team was straight stacked.

The best players in the finals IMO in terms of ability were

Lebron
Curry
Thompson
Iggy
Green
Barnes
Bogut/Mozgov- I can't decide here. You tell me.
Jr Smith( who took a dump in the finals BTW)
Speights
Shump
The rest of the Cavs

The Warriors had 7 of the 10 best players, and one of those Cavs players played like serious trash, while all of the Warriors stepped up. Not to mention that the W's didn't play a team at full strength past the 1st round. One of Memphis' stars was out, and then injured when he played. Houston was banged up with a few key players out of the rotation, and the Cavs were without 3 of their 4 best players....You can't blame a team for winning when others are injured, that's just part of the game. The W's deserved this title, and played fantastic. But lets be realistic here. Winning with a team stack with talent against a devastated team thin on talent to begin with isn't hard.

Who is the best player in the league right now? Lebron. Who will be the best player in 3 years? Probably Durant or Davis. If I had to pick someone to build a team around for the next decade starting right now it would be Anthony Davis. Curry just isn't that level of player that can make a major impact on both sides of the ball, and had the Cavs been fully healthy, I don't see how the Warriors win if it went 6 games when they were without 3 of their 4 best players + game 1 came down to the regulation buzzer.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Asso ... 5194596478

my bball news agency's facebook page
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#51 » by GONYK » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:18 pm

Americafkya wrote:
kingquan316 wrote:

I think this thread is evidence for the flaw in thinking of "he got the ring, didn't he" or the "Curry vs Lebron" finals bull that the league puts out there. This finals was the Cleveland Cavaliers vs The Golden State Warriors, and due to injuries it was more like Lebron James + good defenders against the Golden State Warriors.

Curry had a good finals, but to say he bested Lebron is ridiculous. It is possible to say that he played better, which I don't think is true, but you can't say he outplayed Lebron. Lebron wasn't matched up with Curry much at all. So how did Curry outplay him? Curry was getting single coverage from the Cavs who had to stay at home on the other 4 all-star or near all-star caliber players on the team. Every time Lebron had the ball he was either swarmed with double or triple teams, or forced into bad long shots because the team had no other offensive weapons.

Curry is a great player, deserving of MVP, and in my opinion a top 10 player in the league. But if he weren't on a stacked team, people wouldn't be treating him this way. The Warriors talent and system allow him to thrive, and the defense behind him is elite. Curry is not the kind of player that can elevate a terrible team to the playoffs or take a decent team to the finals alone. He hasn't proven that yet. Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Harrison Barnes, and Iggy all proved they could play at star or near all-star levels, and beyond them the team still had Bogut, Speights, Livingston and Barbosa. The team was straight stacked.

The best players in the finals IMO in terms of ability were

Lebron
Curry
Thompson
Iggy
Green
Barnes
Bogut/Mozgov- I can't decide here. You tell me.
Jr Smith( who took a dump in the finals BTW)
Speights
Shump
The rest of the Cavs

The Warriors had 7 of the 10 best players, and one of those Cavs players played like serious trash, while all of the Warriors stepped up. Not to mention that the W's didn't play a team at full strength past the 1st round. One of Memphis' stars was out, and then injured when he played. Houston was banged up with a few key players out of the rotation, and the Cavs were without 3 of their 4 best players....You can't blame a team for winning when others are injured, that's just part of the game. The W's deserved this title, and played fantastic. But lets be realistic here. Winning with a team stack with talent against a devastated team thin on talent to begin with isn't hard.

Who is the best player in the league right now? Lebron. Who will be the best player in 3 years? Probably Durant or Davis. If I had to pick someone to build a team around for the next decade starting right now it would be Anthony Davis. Curry just isn't that level of player that can make a major impact on both sides of the ball, and had the Cavs been fully healthy, I don't see how the Warriors win if it went 6 games when they were without 3 of their 4 best players + game 1 came down to the regulation buzzer.

I agree. To pretend that Lebron and Curry were on an equal playing field in terms of talent, and that the only tiebreaker is winning is to blatantly ignore that Curry had the much better supporting cast.

The Cavs should not have even been as competitive as they were.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Post#52 » by knicksNOTslick » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:42 pm

GONYK wrote:
kingquan316 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
By a pretty wide margin.

I had an issue with that. Steph was still the most valuable on his team in the Finals, even if he wasnt playing out of his mind. It's the same reason why Lebron is the most valuable on his team, in that they take up over half of their opponent's focus on offense. If you watch the Cavs playing D, they're worried about Steph when he's on the floor and that allows guys like Iguodala to get open and sink jumpers they're supposed to make wide open. You can talk about Iggy playing out of his mind and all that, but we're talking about a former All Star who would have a bigger role on most teams. But the Warriors are a deep team and less is asked of him. Iguodala putting up numbers and playing good D in a supporting role does not impress me at all. Steph is still the MVP of that team. Regular season, postseason and most definitely the Finals.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#53 » by BKlutch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:47 pm

This whole Curry vs. Lebron issue points out that there is often no single best player in the NBA. Sometimes, there is, but often, it's not really possible to tell. Had you switched Lebron and Steph's teams, maybe neither would have had such a great season. There are too many factors that affect how well a player's offense succeeds. Even the legendary MJ might have had a poor season playing on the 2014-15 NY Knicks. There is no one stat, and no one number that objectively decides this issue. So we can have fun discussing how to decide this issue, because we have no games to discuss.

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

Return to New York Knicks