ImageImageImageImageImage

OT:Former Tennis Player James Blake, on his way to the U.S. Open tackled by NYPD who mistook him for a "criminal"

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

OT:Former Tennis Player James Blake, on his way to the U.S. Open tackled by NYPD who mistook him for a "criminal" 

Post#1 » by GIMME_DATT » Wed Sep 9, 2015 8:58 pm

Former tennis great James Blake was slammed to the ground, handcuffed and detained by five plainclothes city cops Wednesday outside his midtown hotel before heading out to the U.S. Open, Blake told the Daily News.

The officers, who were all white, mistook Blake for a suspect in an identity theft ring operating around the midtown hotel.

The incident occurred around noon in front of the Grand Hyatt on East 42 St., as Blake, a 35-year-old African-American who attended Harvard before going on tour, was waiting for a car to take him to Flushing Meadows, where he was making corporate appearances for Time-Warner Cable.

"It was definitely scary and definitely crazy," said Blake, who was once ranked No. 4 in the world and was among the most popular U.S. players of his generation. He suffered a cut to his left elbow and bruises to his left leg.

Asked if he considered it a case of racial profiling, Blake said, "I don't know if it's as simple as that. To me it's as simple as unnecessary police force, no matter what my race is. In my mind there's probably a race factor involved, but no matter what there's no reason for anybody to do that to anybody.

"You'd think they could say, 'Hey, we want to talk to you. We are looking into something. I was just standing there. I wasn't running. It's not even close (to be okay). It's blatantly unnecessary. You would think at some point they would get the memo that this isn't okay, but it seems that there's no stopping it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/ex-tennis-star-james-blake-mistakenly-tackled-white-cops-article-1.2353983?utm_content=bufferc801f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Dude just standing there and they had to go and beat him up .. seems like it was done on purpose. Police using there power

ravinaziankid
Senior
And1: 268

Re: OT:Former Tennis Player James Blake, on his way to the U.S. Open tackled by NYPD who mistook him for a "criminal" 

Post#4 » by ravinaziankid » Wed Sep 9, 2015 10:18 pm

Well at least hes already rich so new yorkers tax dollars are safe from a huge law suit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: OT:Former Tennis Player James Blake, on his way to the U.S. Open tackled by NYPD who mistook him for a "criminal" 

Post#5 » by BKlutch » Wed Sep 9, 2015 11:59 pm

There's a pattern to these things...

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#6 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:38 am

Get pissed nyers

If for no other reason than that we pay the legal fees and penalties from our tax dollars.

How many millions a year?
How many abuses of power ignored?

Get pissed NYers
And speak out!
Dbloc123
Sixth Man
And1: 406

Post#7 » by Dbloc123 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:41 am

Smh. This **** won't stop...
J.R. Smith's last-second whiff left the Knicks with a sixth straight loss. But J.R. would do it again. "I think we went with the best shot," he said.
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Re: OT:Former Tennis Player James Blake, on his way to the U.S. Open tackled by N... 

Post#8 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:56 am

Just another day being black I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#9 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:17 am

See it's threads like these that DONT get locked because you know...

I really hope justice is served here. IDK details, but 99% chance some idiots will be fired (yep, leaping to judgement before knowing, I am ignorant here)
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#10 » by siar617 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:33 am

Looks like cops are getting better, they were supposed to shoot him in the back.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#12 » by BRIGGS » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:28 am

That was an excellent answer by Blake. It's police reaction in general that has to be severely toned down. You cant just tackle someone of any creed race or color for ANY reason
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time

Return to New York Knicks