ImageImageImageImageImage

Clyde interview - discusses upcoming season and beard contest

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,451

Re: Clyde interview - discusses upcoming season and beard contest 

Post#21 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Clyde is not a reliable source for any inside info.

He never claimed to have any inside information. The article is just one for fun - why can't it just be that simple?

I think he's just referring to whether Monroe rejected us or we rejected him (offered him max or what not).
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,209

Post#22 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Def agree about the defense part. But thats also why I am glad we have Lopez instead of Monroe too.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#23 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Def agree about the defense part. But thats also why I am glad we have Lopez instead of Monroe too.

The team has been laying down red carpets to the bucket for years now. That needs to change.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,415

Post#24 » by KnicksGod » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:10 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

He never claimed to have any inside information. The article is just one for fun - why can't it just be that simple?

I think he's just referring to whether Monroe rejected us or we rejected him (offered him max or what not).

Yes. And I don't believe Phil was dead set on him. He was one of his options. I'm sure he flirted and was thinking about it but I don't know if he gave it up. I think he was determined to make defense a priority, even at the expense of a lot of offense (if we can even say that about Monroe).

Had we made an offer, I think we might well have been rejected for the Bucks who are the flavor of the month. So I'm not saying this to save face ... but there are little clues that Phil did not necessarily have Monroe at the top of his list.

The "We are not going to do that" was one possible link.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#25 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:18 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I thought it was agreed that we never offered the max and Monroe just took the money? If that's the case, which I believe it is, then he technically DID reject us, not that it matters...at all.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#26 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:23 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Def agree about the defense part. But thats also why I am glad we have Lopez instead of Monroe too.

The team has been laying down red carpets to the bucket for years now. That needs to change.

Yeah, hopefully that can change this year. If we can at least get to an avg or slightly above avg defensive team it'll be a big boost. Phil mentioned many times that he wanted to bring in some rim protectors and focus on defense so it was definitely a priority.
Mavs
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,222

Post#27 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

Yeah, hopefully that can change this year. If we can at least get to an avg or slightly above avg defensive team it'll be a big boost. Phil mentioned many times that he wanted to bring in some rim protectors and focus on defense so it was definitely a priority.

This is why I'm looking forward to this season. I have hope that we actually are building a new culture and will produce a fresh brand of basketball rooted in defense and teamwork. That's something worth supporting regardless of how many wins we have.

You can't contend without talent, but you can't contend on talent alone either.

So you start from square one with both by building up your talent base year by year and by building a productive, winning culture.

I had my doubts, but I think Phil stuck to his guns and if he can impose his vision on the franchise, it can result in a transformation these next few years.

Isn't getting behind a real vision like this the heart of what being a true fan is all about?

Some guys are still grumbling we didn't turn it around in a single off-season, but that is almost impossible. What is possible is a new defensive culture and playing the game right. That alone produces wins and moves the needle in the right direction.
ImageImageImage
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#28 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

This is why I'm looking forward to this season. I have hope that we actually are building a new culture and will produce a fresh brand of basketball rooted in defense and teamwork. That's something worth supporting regardless of how many wins we have.

So you start from square one with both by building up your talent base year by year and by building a productive, winning culture.

I had my doubts, but I think Phil stuck to his guns and if he can impose his vision on the franchise, it can result in a transformation these next few years.

Isn't getting behind a real vision like this the heart of what being a true fan is all about?

Some guys are still grumbling we didn't turn it around in a single off-season, but that is almost impossible. What is possible is a new defensive culture and playing the game right. That alone produces wins and moves the needle in the right direction.

I am really looking forward to this season too. Just following the development of Porzingis has me giddy. We have some solid vets, some promising young players, and hopefully a healthy Melo. It’s a good mix of players that can hopefully fit together.

I am not sure how many games we will end up winning, but it’s a good start and we can continue to improve and build from here. If everything clicks we can surprise a lot of people.
Mavs
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,222

Post#29 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

I am really looking forward to this season too. Just following the development of Porzingis has me giddy. We have some solid vets, some promising young players, and hopefully a healthy Melo. It’s a good mix of players that can hopefully fit together.

I am not sure how many games we will end up winning, but it’s a good start and we can continue to improve and build from here. If everything clicks we can surprise a lot of people.

A little luck goes a long way. We're due. Staying healthy overall would be great. I'm not concerned if we make the playoffs this year, but if things click then it is a possibility for sure.

This is the first time in five years I'm really psyched for a season to begin. I don't see how it won't be intriguing and probably entertaining at times too.

I did not like the 54 win team. I found them uninspiring and wholly dependent on hot shooting hands. Whenever that team played poorly, they were so abysmal. That would not have been the case if they had a solid team identity that fought through the rough patches by playing solid defense.

If we can be that team that always tries to find a way even if we are overmatched, then that is all I can ask for as a fan.
ImageImageImage
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#30 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:14 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I thought it was agreed that we never offered the max and Monroe just took the money? If that's the case, which I believe it is, then he technically DID reject us, not that it matters...at all.

Yeah there was rejection on both sides because Phil rejected matching the Bucks and offering the max. Not that I'm upset about it because he's doo-doo.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#31 » by dakomish23 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:18 am

We have actual shot blockers. Between RoLo, Godzingas, KOQ and Thanos if he gets some time. Our perimeter defense won't be as bad either, with Affalo & Gallo. Not sure if Grant is a plus defender, but he can't be worse than Felton & Calderon at the 1.

We'll be better this year on that end. Not sure who's putting up double digits for us outside Melo / Affalo / RoLo.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks