ImageImageImageImageImage

New Coach Ideas

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Re: New Coach Ideas 

Post#101 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:31 pm

cayuck wrote:
NYKnicksTAPE wrote:
cayuck wrote:
The defense improved because Phil added two 7ft rim protectors. What is the difference between last year and this year? The Coach or the roster? And when you watch the games does it look like Fisher is leading the team to wins with smart substitutions and game plans or does it look like the team wins in spite of the numerous mistakes he makes?

Fisher's game plan is solid, without a solid game plan we wouldn't be as competitive as we are with this roster. 1 of those 7 footers is a rookie, and rookies are notoriously horrible on D, but with Fisher's help, KP is making the right reads and being placed in the right positions to take advantage of his length. It's true that Fisher's substitutions need work, but were u expecting perfection from a 2nd year coach? Does he not have any time to improve on his weaknesses? I've noticed that pretty much every fan base has a problem with their coaches substitutions.

I think it's extremely subjective to credit Fisher for something like KP's success. You really think Fisher has had an impact on the way KP rebounds or shoots or throws down put back dunks? I credit KP for being ready to come into the league and compete, this is his starting point which is quite amazing. If he can develop quickly in the proper areas such as post moves and fouling less than maybe I will begin to credit the coaching staff and Fisher. Right now however, KP put in his own work and that is what is showing.

I see where this is going. Basically, anything good that happens is because of the players and the roster...it has nothing to do with Fisher, but anything bad that happens is all because of Fisher. Hell ya I give Fisher some credit for what KP is doing right now. A coach can be very essential for a rookie's development, just look at what Byron Scott is doing to D'angelo Russell. The coaching staff is the one directing KP on what to work on, he's not just in the gym doing random work.
makeitstop
General Manager
And1: 2,274

Post#102 » by makeitstop » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:31 pm

cayuck wrote:I think it's extremely subjective to credit Fisher for something like KP's success.

He made the decision to start him from Day One, which probably had a huge effect on KP's confidence.

You think Van Gundy or Sloan would have gambled on starting a rook? I have my doubts.
'Every night ending in 'Y' is a rock fight when you're playing the New York Knicks.' - World Wide Wob
cayuck
Junior
And1: 262

Post#103 » by cayuck » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:42 pm

makeitstop wrote:
cayuck wrote:I think it's extremely subjective to credit Fisher for something like KP's success.

He made the decision to start him from Day One, which probably had a huge effect on KP's confidence.

You think Van Gundy or Sloan would have gambled on starting a rook? I have my doubts.

Fair point. I guess any method used to judge a coach takes a large slice of subjectivity since his success is based on how the roster produces, which is probably why it is such a common topic to debate. Marc Jackson had a great record with the Warriors and I didn't think he should have been let go but, management still fired him and appeared to make the right decision (even though it cost us Kerr). BTW how about Marc Jackson for the Knicks! lol.

For the people saying there's no rush and he should be allowed to develop with the team, I think this team is ahead of schedule and borderline for the playoffs, so I think Fisher should be held to a higher standard. Also, he is not a first year coach so I don't buy that argument. The opening day roster last year was meant to compete and he was not able to put them in a position to do that.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,269

Post#104 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:44 pm

KrisPlayer-CoachZingis?
ImageImageImage
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

New Coach Ideas 

Post#105 » by BKAY » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:52 pm

Pretty much the only gripe you can have with Fish is his rotations. But I think most are missing what he is trying to accomplish. I know his rotations get a lot of flack but you really can't see the pluses in running a deep rotation? I mean Lou and Lance aren't stars but they are very versatile and competent role players who deserve burn and more importantly know the system. Midway through the season when this team really starts clicking and fatigue besides a factor, running a 13 man rotation could be a huge plus for us.

I think the Knicks are trying to do something different. They are zigging(zinging) where the league is zagging. Going big when most teams are going small. Running deep rotations where most teams run shallow rotations. Also I think a point most are missing is that the Knicks are aiming to be a defense first team. That's why you see lance getting extended burn.

The rotation scheme will keep the team fresh and minimize injuries in the long term. Knicks success hinges on health and even if injuries start to pop up, we'll have enough players in the groove of things to step up rather than have to take guys off the bench who don't play for 5 games at a time.

All these reactions are just so knee jerk. I can almost guarantee a team like the Nets wish they stood pat J Kidd. Fish knows the triangle better than 99% of the people out there. Fish is trying some things out and I don't see a problem with it.

I mean most on here truly think they know more about ball than Fish lol.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
cayuck
Junior

Post#106 » by cayuck » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:01 pm

BKAY wrote:Pretty much the only gripe you can have with Fish is his rotations. But I think most are missing what he is trying to accomplish. I know his rotations get a lot of flack but you really can't see the pluses in running a deep rotation? I mean Lou and Lance aren't stars but they are very versatile and competent role players who deserve burn and more importantly know the system. Midway through the season when this team really starts clicking and fatigue besides a factor, running a 13 man rotation could be a huge plus for us.

I think the Knicks are trying to do something different. They are zigging(zinging) where the league is zagging. Going big when most teams are going small. Running deep rotations where most teams run shallow rotations. Also I think a point most are missing is that the Knicks are aiming to be a defense first team. That's why you see lance getting extended burn.

The rotation scheme will keep the team fresh and minimize injuries in the long term. Knicks success hinges on health and even if injuries start to pop up, we'll have enough players in the groove of things to step up rather than have to take guys off the bench who don't play for 5 games at a time.

All these reactions are just so knee jerk. I can almost guarantee a team like the Nets wish they stood pat J Kidd. Fish knows the triangle better than 99% of the people out there. Fish is trying some things out and I don't see a problem with it.

If

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I would really like to buy into this theory. In fact I hope you are right about everything you wrote in that post. When I watch the games though this Phil like philosophy of deep rotations and forcing teams to adjust to your size instead of other way around is not what I see. I simply see Fisher incorrectly reading matchups on the court and putting in the improper personnel and on several occasions looks completely lost in the 4th qtrs. I don't pretend to know more about basketball than a former championship point guard, but I think I've watched enough NBA games that I can spot a competent game coach and Fisher does not appear to be one. Just my opinion though, hopefully you are right.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,049

Post#107 » by GONYK » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:08 pm

cayuck wrote:
makeitstop wrote:

Fair point. I guess any method used to judge a coach takes a large slice of subjectivity since his success is based on how the roster produces, which is probably why it is such a common topic to debate. Marc Jackson had a great record with the Warriors and I didn't think he should have been let go but, management still fired him and appeared to make the right decision (even though it cost us Kerr). BTW how about Marc Jackson for the Knicks! lol.

For the people saying there's no rush and he should be allowed to develop with the team, I think this team is ahead of schedule and borderline for the playoffs, so I think Fisher should be held to a higher standard. Also, he is not a first year coach so I don't buy that argument. The opening day roster last year was meant to compete and he was not able to put them in a position to do that.

Please don't tell me you are dogging Fisher then call for Mark Jackson. Please tell me that is a joke.

Fisher is being held to a higher standard. Being .500 through a brutal month when everyone was expecting to be 2-10, and still being criticized for losing maybe 2 games is a higher standard.

We didn't have 6 wins until January last season.

You are talking as if you think the team could go out there with no coaching staff at all and still have the same record.
cayuck
Junior

Post#108 » by cayuck » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:16 pm

GONYK wrote:
cayuck wrote:
makeitstop wrote:

Please don't tell me you are dogging Fisher then call for Mark Jackson. Please tell me that is a joke.

Fisher is being held to a higher standard. Being .500 through a brutal month when everyone was expecting to be 2-10, and still being criticized for losing maybe 2 games is a higher standard.

You are talking as if you think the team could go out there with no coaching staff at all and still have the same record.

Yes, Marc Jackson was a bit of a joke as I don't think he'd fit what we have on the team. I only brought him up to make the point that even a coach with a good record and who made the playoffs can still be judged critically and removed from his position.

I know we only had 6 wins till January last year (and Fisher was a big part of that), but there are 10 new players on the roster this year, it's basically a new team outside of Melo, calderon, and galloway so crediting Fisher for the success with the .500 record is a bit illogical. I've never said I wanted no coaching staff, I just think Fisher at the moment is probably in the bottom 5-10 coaches right now and I don't think he has the potential to be a high level coach down the line.
makeitstop
General Manager
And1: 2,274

Post#109 » by makeitstop » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Wearing out my +1 button up in here. :rofl:
'Every night ending in 'Y' is a rock fight when you're playing the New York Knicks.' - World Wide Wob
taker328
Sophomore
And1: 127

Post#110 » by taker328 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:30 pm

cayuck wrote:
GONYK wrote:
cayuck wrote:

Yes, Marc Jackson was a bit of a joke as I don't think he'd fit what we have on the team. I only brought him up to make the point that even a coach with a good record and who made the playoffs can still be judged critically and removed from his position.

I know we only had 6 wins till January last year (and Fisher was a big part of that), but there are 10 new players on the roster this year, it's basically a new team outside of Melo, calderon, and galloway so crediting Fisher for the success with the .500 record is a bit illogical. I've never said I wanted no coaching staff, I just think Fisher at the moment is probably in the bottom 5-10 coaches right now and I don't think he has the potential to be a high level coach down the line.

But if we were like 3-9 or something horrible like that, I guarantee you'd be calling for Fisher's head. Listen I'm not the biggest Fisher fan either, but that ain't fair dude, you can't have it both ways. And I wouldn't say this team is overachieving,cause there's no flukes in the wins they got. I'd say the progressing and gelling at a much quicker rate, and showing great effor on the defensive end which was a clear weakness last year. Melo has been a different player playing off the ball and passing. They're playing as a team and they've got like 10 new guys on it. You can give the coaching staff ANY credit for that??? If not then why the hell are they there then?

The players def get their due credit cause they're the ones performing, but I've seen clear differences in the approach of the players on both ends, and the way they conduct themselves on the court. That goes to the coaching staff IMO, and they still got a lot of work and refining to do (rotations, minutes, etc) but kudos to them and the players for being .500 after that brutal stretch.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#111 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am

cayuck wrote:After watching Fisher all of last year and the start of this year I have reached a point where I do not think he will be the coach of this team if they are ever going to make a meaningful playoff run. I'd much rather have a veteran coach who understands in game adjustments, rotations, clock management, and critical closing situations. Also I'd rather have a coach who was responsible and a leader of men, not someone who will take a few days off so he can go bang and old teammates wife.

My top choices for a new coach:

1. Phil Jackson - Prob never happens, but maybe Porzingis can lure him back down to the sidelines?

2. Jerry Sloan - Again a real longshot, but I feel like Phil has a good relationship with him so maybe he could try to talk him back into the game.

3. Jeff Van Gundy - A fan favorite and could easily instill some of his defensive principles while letting other coaches like Rambis teach the triangle

4. Tibbs - Not really a triangle guy, but again like Van Gundy could run his defense and let other coaches run the triangle.

5. Luke Walton - Why not trade Fisher for Walton straight up? Dude is undefeated and knows the triangle

6. Rambis - If Fisher takes a nose dive at some point this season or has more scandalous extramarital affairs, Rambis could be an ok interim coach.

1) Not gonna happen, 2) Not even plausible 3) won't do it 4) likely won't do it 5) Warriors won't let him go yet 6) Horrid
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#112 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:37 am

lol, why are people in such a rush here?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
cayuck
Junior

Post#113 » by cayuck » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:31 am

taker328 wrote:
cayuck wrote:
GONYK wrote:

But if we were like 3-9 or something horrible like that, I guarantee you'd be calling for Fisher's head. Listen I'm not the biggest Fisher fan either, but that ain't fair dude, you can't have it both ways. And I wouldn't say this team is overachieving,cause there's no flukes in the wins they got. I'd say the progressing and gelling at a much quicker rate, and showing great effor on the defensive end which was a clear weakness last year. Melo has been a different player playing off the ball and passing. They're playing as a team and they've got like 10 new guys on it. You can give the coaching staff ANY credit for that??? If not then why the hell are they there then?

The players def get their due credit cause they're the ones performing, but I've seen clear differences in the approach of the players on both ends, and the way they conduct themselves on the court. That goes to the coaching staff IMO, and they still got a lot of work and refining to do (rotations, minutes, etc) but kudos to them and the players for being .500 after that brutal stretch.

This is fair. I will concede the atmosphere and general harmony of the team have been much better this season, so I will give Fisher credit for instilling somewhat of a culture (although I wouldn't go so far to say they have a clear identity yet).

However, the people who are giving him a free pass for last season's horrible atmosphere and losing culture I do not understand. I still hold him accountable for that, and of course his current questionable in-game managing and 4th qtr decisions.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#114 » by Phish Tank » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:33 am

cayuck wrote:
taker328 wrote:
cayuck wrote:

This is fair. I will concede the atmosphere and general harmony of the team have been much better this season, so I will give Fisher credit for instilling somewhat of a culture (although I wouldn't go so far to say they have a clear identity yet).

However, the people who are giving him a free pass for last season's horrible atmosphere and losing culture I do not understand. I still hold him accountable for that, and of course his current questionable in-game managing and 4th qtr decisions.

Wait, you're blaming him for us losing last year? You smoking crack? We were tanking. Read that last word, tanking. Jeez

First you mention mark Jackson as a better coach, and now you go ahead and blame fisher for tanking. My god.

Sent from the phish tank
cayuck
Junior

Post#115 » by cayuck » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:37 am

Phish Tank wrote:
cayuck wrote:
taker328 wrote:

Wait, you're blaming him for us losing last year? You smoking crack? We were tanking. Read that last word, tanking. Jeez

First you mention mark Jackson as a better coach, and now you go ahead and blame fisher for tanking. My god.

Sent from the phish tank

The team was not tanking on opening day. The roster was meant to "compete for a playoff spot" and when they could not win anything, Melo went ahead and got surgery and went into tank mode. Fisher was supposed to at least compete on opening day last year and he couldn't handle it.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#116 » by Phish Tank » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:38 am

cayuck wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
cayuck wrote:

Sent from the phish tank

The team was not tanking on opening day. The roster was meant to "compete for a playoff spot" and when they could not win anything, Melo went ahead and got surgery and went into tank mode. Fisher was supposed to at least compete on opening day last year and he couldn't handle it.

I'm guessing you didn't watch much of last years team...

Sent from the phish tank
cayuck
Junior

Post#117 » by cayuck » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:42 am

Phish Tank wrote:
cayuck wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:

Sent from the phish tank

Sent from the phish tank

I watched many more games than I care to remember, particularly early on when I was hopeful Fisher would be a big influence on the team and perhaps surprise people. That was far from the case. Did you watch last season? Because they were not tanking from the start, that's exactly the kind of free pass people are giving Fisher that I find extremely bizarre. It was one of the worst seasons in franchise history...
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#118 » by Bill Pidto » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:54 am

BKAY wrote:Pretty much the only gripe you can have with Fish is his rotations. But I think most are missing what he is trying to accomplish. I know his rotations get a lot of flack but you really can't see the pluses in running a deep rotation? I mean Lou and Lance aren't stars but they are very versatile and competent role players who deserve burn and more importantly know the system. Midway through the season when this team really starts clicking and fatigue besides a factor, running a 13 man rotation could be a huge plus for us.

It's truly amazing to me. This is some type of syndrome some sports nuts have I think. They actually think they can do better than the pros. They think they know more because they're die-hard. Obvlivious to so many factors at play. The Knicks board is infested with it.

Really good post. It's everything I would have liked to say if I had the energy to weigh in on this ridiculous topic for the umpteenth time. Now please, at least merge this thing with all the other embarassing "fire Fisher" threads. When this all comes together in the end, it will be easier to have one big thread to bump in order to serve more crow.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#119 » by Greenie » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:58 am

Phish Tank wrote:
cayuck wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:

Sent from the phish tank

Sent from the phish tank

AT ALL

Jason Smith and Dally were are starting the beginning of last year....
cayuck
Junior

Post#120 » by cayuck » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:02 am

Bill Pidto wrote:

It's truly amazing to me. This is some type of syndrome some sports nuts have I think. They actually think they can do better than the pros. They think they know more because they're die-hard. Obvlivious to so many factors at play. The Knicks board is infested with it.

Really good post. It's everything I would have liked to say if I had the energy to weigh in on this ridiculous topic for the umpteenth time. Now please, at least merge this thing with all the other embarassing "fire Fisher" threads. When this all comes together in the end, it will be easier to have one big thread to bump in order to serve more crow.

I don't think I know more than Fisher or any other coach in the NBA. I just think he's a pretty bad coach when compared to every other coach in the NBA right now (is there any coach you could decisively say Fisher is better than?). I don't think it's that crazy, absurd or reactive of a position. I've watched him coach for a season and 12 games now with two different types of teams and I just think he's bad and there are coaches out there that could help the team win more and develop more for the future, just my opinion. If Fisher becomes a championship coach and goes on a fairytale ride with the team I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

Return to New York Knicks