ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil will wait for Mike Conley - my opinion

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

Re: Phil will wait for Mike Conley 

Post#21 » by LJ4pointplay » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Marty McFly wrote:bob? carl?

is it based carl????
Newyorknick94
Head Coach
And1: 2,518

Post#22 » by Newyorknick94 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:46 pm

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:Smh, stop with these dumbass threads. I thought that there was going to be an article with sources or some new sound bite from Phil...

yea really this could've been posted in the free agent thread
Legends BAT
G - Penny Hardaway/Mike Bibby
G - Gilbert Arenas / Monta Ellis
F - Julius Erving/John Starks
F - Chris bosh/Danny Granger
C - Dikembe Mutombo
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#23 » by MelosSoreWrist » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:01 pm

How do the Knicks acquire Teague for role players? Wouldnt they be easily outbid even if the hawks were desperate to move him?
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,219

Post#24 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:07 pm

This is the thing our moderators are considering and discussing right now.

RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#25 » by 2010 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:10 pm

Teague salary will be $8mm per. Conley's new salary will be close to $25mm per and it takes you out of the running for Staph Curry or Russell Westbrook in the summer of 2017. I don't want to go anywhere near Conley for those very valid reasons.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#26 » by BowlRips » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Hypothetically..

Lets say it cost us D-Will, Calderon and 2018 protected 1st rounder for Teague
Under this scenario we go into the off-season with a complete team and 24million to spend in Free Agency will no immediate holes on the roster. It would allow Knicks to spread that money evenly between guards and forwards and get the right pieces in here (batum, fournier, bazemore noah etc) or if Durant wants to come he is more than welcome.

The other scenario is not making the trade and you go into the offseason with 20mil to spend but desperately needing a guard. Conley resigns, Durant passes, and you got to find a way to get a guard in here who can run the O. J-Lin, Rondo come to mind, but they are below the level of Teague and will end up costing over $10mil a year in the depressed PG market. The leaves you 10mil to spend (maybe 15mil if you stretch Calderon to fill out your roster)

Obviously the difference in these scenarios is retaining the 2018 1st round pick.. But depending on the protection it may be worth the wait. Phil needs to assess the Knicks cap situation going forward and realize that Knicks could make the most of their roster by trading for a guard with a low cap number.

Difference between these 2 scenarios going into off-season

Lopez / O'Quinn
Porzingis / ?
Melo / Lance
? / Afflalo / Galloway
Teague / Grant

with 25mil to spend but no 2018 1st

or

Lopez / O'Quinn
Porzingis / Lance
Melo / D-Will
Afflalo / Galloway
? / Calderon/ Grant

with 20mil to spend but retaining 2018 first

Scenario 1 looks alot better to me
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#27 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:18 pm

2010 wrote:Teague salary will be $8mm per. Conley's new salary will be close to $25mm per and it takes you out of the running for Staph Curry or Russell Westbrook in the summer of 2017. I don't want to go anywhere near Conley for those very valid reasons.

Conley's not even worth that type of money. If we pay him, we're stuck with him
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#28 » by DowNY » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:19 pm

If their stats are identical then you definitely take Teague over Conley.

Mike Conley = $20+ Million per year
Jeff Teague = $8M per year with bird rights in 2017

It's common sense. You don't invest $20M+ in Mike Conley in a cap spike year where you need wing improvement (KD, Batum) & there's PGs in 2017. Also Mike Conley is not worth the same money CP3 is making.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by BowlRips » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Ok so reading the posts everyone is in consensus except the OP that trading for Teague has alot of benefits going forward on our cap space then signing Conley in the offseason.
Next question, are these benefits worth giving our 2018 1st rounder for?
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#30 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:25 pm

BowlRips wrote:Ok so reading the posts everyone is in consensus except the OP that trading for Teague has alot of benefits going forward on our cap space then signing Conley in the offseason.

Between trading for Teague and his 8 mil/yr contract or signing Conley for over 20 mil...the choice is too easy. Give me Teague all day every day. If the 1st rounder is protected, then I don't see what the big deal is. We're not finding a Kawhi with a late 1st round pick...we'd most likely be getting another THJr or Grant.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#31 » by kane2021 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Trading for Teague now is smart.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,551

Post#32 » by Meat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:42 pm

BowlRips wrote:Ok so reading the posts everyone is in consensus except the OP that trading for Teague has alot of benefits going forward on our cap space then signing Conley in the offseason.

They've been about 10 non lotto all stars drafted in the last decade(teague being one of them), that's about a 5% clip. do i think it's worth taking a 95% chance that the pick wont turn out to be an all star?
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,977

Post#33 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:50 pm

It all depends what we are giving up for Teague and what Conley will cost.

If we can get Conley for $20mil per, I would prefer Conley. He is the better player and the better fit. But if we can get Teague now for a reasonable cost in a trade, I'd do that and forget about Conley.

Both are probably long shots so you just get whichever one you can first as long as the price is right.

On the contract, while Teague would be much cheaper in '16, he may become even more expensive in '17 then Conley. The cap will be up to $108mil at least. Teague will demand a big contract as will Holiday and all those guys.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by BowlRips » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:

If we can get Conley for $20mil per, I would prefer Conley. He is the better player and the better fit. But if we can get Teague now for a reasonable cost in a trade, I'd do that and forget about Conley.

Both are probably long shots so you just get whichever one you can first as long as the price is right.

On the contract, while Teague would be much cheaper in '16, he may become even more expensive in '17 then Conley. The cap will be up to $108mil at least. Teague will demand a big contract as will Holiday and all those guys.

Yes but we will have Teagues Cap Hold which up to 150% of of his salary or 12 million (i think), which will allow Knicks to sign some big fish and then choose what to do with Teague, before signing Teague to a 20mil contract
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#35 » by ChilledAlex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:59 pm

if what you say is true then there would be no reports about Knicks/Hawks talks
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#36 » by kane2021 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:03 pm

I want no parts of Conley. He has a better roster now to work with than we do and they're not that good. He's going to be a huge waste of money. Rondo is the best pg in free agency.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,977

Post#37 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:05 pm

BowlRips wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Yes but we will have Teagues Cap Hold which is 120% of his salary or 9.6million, which will allow Knicks to sign some big fish and then choose what to do with Teague, before signing Teague to a 20mil contract

Thats a great point. I would try for Teague. I think he'd cost a lot though and we may even need to find a 3rd team. That his contract is so good will only make him cost more to get in a trade.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#38 » by BKAY » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:26 pm

kingquan316 wrote:Phil is waiting for Durant.

Pretty much. Whether we get him or not, Durant is the only player I've consistently seen Phil linked to during his tenure here. Supposedly when he first got here, he was telling people he's getting Durant. Idk if we'll actually land him but I agree that Phil will wait for him and won't ruin his chances via trades this season

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

Post#39 » by LJ4pointplay » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:51 pm

BowlRips wrote:
Yes but we will have Teagues Cap Hold which up to 150% of of his salary or 12 million (i think), which will allow Knicks to sign some big fish and then choose what to do with Teague, before signing Teague to a 20mil contract

Yes, this is the key. This is why trading for Teague is worth a first round pick. We aren't only trading for Teague, we are trading for Teague and the ability to sign ANOTHER player.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#40 » by cgmw » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Logic:

1) Aggressively conserve cap (Teague)
2) Aggressively pursue present opportunity (Teague)

It's a longshot we get either, so might as well pursue both aggressively (without destroying flexibility). Odds are we'll pursue and miss Teague, then pursue and miss Conley. I'd be okay getting either. Of course, I'd be happiest if we somehow developed our own stud PG, but hey.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."

Return to New York Knicks