ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil will wait for Mike Conley - my opinion

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Re: Phil will wait for Mike Conley 

Post#41 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:07 pm

I see Phil has finally telepathically communicated with somebody here so that we finally know what he's thinking
Free Palestine
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Re: Phil will wait for Mike Conley - my opinion 

Post#42 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Ive fixed the terrible title of this thread to reflect that its just an opinion
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#43 » by AmazingJason » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:16 pm

This really should be in the FA thread :D
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,554

Post#44 » by ctorres » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:01 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:Ive fixed the terrible title of this thread to reflect that its just an opinion

THANK YOU BASED NLR!
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Re: Phil will wait for Mike Conley 

Post#45 » by Coeur » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:57 am

BKAY wrote:
kingquan316 wrote:Phil is waiting for Durant.

Pretty much. Whether we get him or not, Durant is the only player I've consistently seen Phil linked to during his tenure here. Supposedly when he first got here, he was telling people he's getting Durant. Idk if we'll actually land him but I agree that Phil will wait for him and won't ruin his chances via trades this season

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Trades this season won't hurt the Knicks chances of getting Durant to sign unless they are adding future salary. And late 1sts won't be huge factor either.

Replacing Calderon with Teague would make the Knicks a much more attractive possible destination for Durant because he could see himself as the missing piece. With no talent at guard Durant could only see himself as one of the missing pieceS
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#46 » by br7knicks » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 am

RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#47 » by Apples » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Impatient fans. smh. Wait until 2017 when there will be better PGs or equal PGs available.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#48 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Apples wrote:Impatient fans. smh. Wait until 2017 when there will be better PGs or equal PGs available.

Wait until 2017 when Carmelo Anthony is a year older, and Kristaps Porzingis is a year closer to a max contract.
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#49 » by BKAY » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:59 pm

The thing that confuses me about all the Conley rumors is that he has shown NO indications that he is leaving MEM. In fact, he has pretty much said he's staying.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#50 » by BKAY » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:01 pm

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,342

Post#51 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Conley is a game manager. A guy who runs the offense without having to be the offense. A good to great defender. And ultimately, a seamless fit with the guys we have right now on the roster.

I doubt he leaves the extra 25 mil on the table that MEM will probably offer him. Also, if AA / DWill opt out & keep the cap holds of Gallo & LFT (likely scenarios) while stretching Calderon, we can't offer him a max. We'll be close. The only option would be to fin someone to take Calderon off our hand completely and then maybe we'll be near hat number.

One can dream though
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,536

Post#52 » by Meat » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Apples wrote:Impatient fans. smh. Wait until 2017 when there will be better PGs or equal PGs available.

because as well all know, sub par franchises in a town where players are taxed the most with 0 real history of attracting fa talent are going to land all the free agents in 2017.
Apples
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by Apples » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 pm

knicksh20b wrote:

Wait until 2017 when Carmelo Anthony is a year older, and Kristaps Porzingis is a year closer to a max contract.

Apples
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by Apples » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Meat wrote:

because as well all know, sub par franchises in a town where players are taxed the most with 0 real history of attracting fa talent are going to land all the free agents in 2017.

Yet Conley is coming?

There are a number of good PGs available that summer. Not one, not two.The Knicks will land one.
Apples
Sixth Man

Post#55 » by Apples » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:13 pm

knicksh20b wrote:

Well this past off-season/draft showed if they were that concerned about Melo's age, KP the "project" isn't chosen at 4.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,536

Post#56 » by Meat » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Apples wrote:
Meat wrote:

Yet Conley is coming?

There are a number of good PGs available that summer. Not one, not two.The Knicks will land one.

based on what? the same bull that has never mattered?

the mecca?
endorsements?
winning in nyc
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#57 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:58 am

Apples wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:

Well this past off-season/draft showed if they were that concerned about Melo's age, KP the "project" isn't chosen at 4.

I don't care about that concern. I care about whether or not people see the opportunity in front of us. A potential star playing at a minimum salary, a star playing at his defensive prime and expanding his offense, some role players, and a chance to add another star. If Porzingis wasn't playing at such a high level, I might agree with your position. But, I think we can win.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#58 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:00 pm

lowermerionfilms wrote:If you're waiting for the Knicks to trade for a PG, get comfortable. Mike Conley will join the team in free agency, and there's no other PG available better than him. Some people are pulling for Jeff Teague, but look at the numbers. He and Conley have nearly identical stats. The one big differfence is that Conley leads the league in assist to turnover ratio by a wide margin (he has 51 TO's this season to Teague's 210). Why would Phil package a few solid role players to get us a PG when we can get one in FA this summer? Isn't this the same mistake we made with Melo? We're still paying for Dolan's impatience.We'll either make the playoffs with this team or just miss. Next year will be our return to competitive basketball with this lineup:

C - Lopez / ?
PF - KP / Williams / O'Quinn
SF - Melo / Thomas
SG - Afflalo / Galloway
PG - Conley / Calderon / Grant

I do see a hole at the 5, although we could patch that up by either playing KP at center a bit more and giving Seraphin more run. I could also see Phil finding a savvy veteran center (Roy Hibbert?) to come in for solid backup minutes. Whatever he does, I expect the Knicks to be very, very quiet at the trade deadline.

Well we don't likely have the assets to trade for a long term star-like player (without giving up KP) so it seems likely that any player we get is a stop gap more than anything else.

One thing that IS a guarantee is that if we trade Jose (and he seems to be the one on the hottest seat) it will be sending him to a playoff team for a player that fits with our PHILosophy OR making room for us to add someone from our developmental team. If Thanos continues to thrive and we continue to have injury concerns, he will be sticking at this time and Galloway and Grant are certainly going to be in our long term 9-man rotation (with Melo, KP, Rolo). We are going to be preserving space to add that big name player when the time is right, but Phil plans to have b/u plans. Mike Conley may be plan A, but holding off for Teague/Westbrook in 2017 may be plan D/B as well. What I can guarantee is that we won't be overpaying a Jennings or Chalmers due to perceived need and the bo-ku bucks flying around.

I don't like Lance Stephenson. I think I have made that abundantly clear. I think though, that with the strife in Clipperland, we have an opportunity to make a deal like Calderon, Seraphin, Williams for Pablo, Crawford, and Lance.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#59 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:45 am

Meat wrote:
Apples wrote:
Meat wrote:because as well all know, sub par franchises in a town where players are taxed the most with 0 real history of attracting fa talent are going to land all the free agents in 2017.

Yet Conley is coming?

based on what? the same bull that has never mattered?

the mecca?
endorsements?
winning in nyc

We don't need a pg, we just need a guard (we can have 1 average player in the back court a la Fisher/Harper, we really need one more big plus player).

We have to play our odds like everyone else. Dallas has struck out on every big name FA they have pursued since winning a ring. SAS happened to have an opening at PF at the right time for LMA. It's all about timing and pieces. Right now Phil is trying to build the reputation of the Knicks and Porzingis is a unicorn that guys seem to like. Afflalo did sign with us, possibly at a discount because he WANTED to be here. O'Quinn seems like he may have taken a cut to be here a well.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#60 » by DowNY » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:10 am

knicksh20b wrote:

I get the Melo being older thing but who cares is KP is a year closer to the max, if it's not that specific year? Lol

Return to New York Knicks