ImageImageImageImageImage

Tom Thibodeau 'finalizing' 5-year deal as Wolves coach & president/Search for the Next Coach of The New Knicks Continues

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: Tom Thibodeau 'finalizing' 5-year deal as Wolves coach & president/Search for the Next Coach of The New Knicks Conti 

Post#1921 » by Greenie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:28 am

Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:Rambitch over Fisher?
LOL Phil Jackass

Derek Fisher - 40 W 96 L .295%

Kurt Rambus - 9 W 19 L .321%

The numbers say Rambis is the better coach.

When have I ever cared about numbers when I actually watch the games?
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Re: Tom Thibodeau 'finalizing' 5-year deal as Wolves coach & president/Search for the Next Coach of The New Knicks Conti 

Post#1922 » by whocares1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:44 am

Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:Rambitch over Fisher?
LOL Phil Jackass

I love how he compared a 136 game sample size to a 28 game sample size. I also love how he used Fisher's numbers from last season with a roster where the best player was Langston Galloway, to a roster that still had Melo and Lopez. I just don't understand some people who post here.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#1923 » by taikibansei » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:02 am

whocares1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:

I love how he compared a 136 game sample size to a 28 game sample size. I also love how he used Fisher's numbers from last season with a roster where the best player was Langston Galloway, to a roster that still had Melo and Lopez. I just don't understand some people who post here.

To me, the really funny thing is that Rambis's abysmal .321% percentage in 28 games last season raised his career "winning" percentage...all the way up to .284%.

The only legitimate justification for a Rambis hire is to tank...hard.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#1924 » by BowlRips » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:13 am

http://nyp.st/242Coe9
From Berman

Blatt confidants: Knicks showing some interest, Blatt willing to run triangle
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#1925 » by Mr_Perfect » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:13 am

whocares1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:

I like how we're sitting her talking up Fisher as NBA head coach material.

I don't need a record to tell me what I saw on the court. His coaching abilities are negative. Not even a zero. Literally a negative. Rambis is an older version of Fisher.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#1926 » by whocares1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:14 am

Mr_Perfect wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Greenie wrote:When have I ever cared about numbers when I actually watch the games?

I like how we're sitting her talking up Fisher as NBA head coach material.

I don't need a record to tell me what I saw on the court. His coaching abilities are negative. Not even a zero. Literally a negative. Rambis is an older version of Fisher.[/quote

I never defended his coaching ability. I simply stated how illogical the comparison was.
Mr_Perfect
Head Coach
And1: 2,931

Post#1927 » by Mr_Perfect » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:15 am

BowlRips wrote:http://nyp.st/242Coe9
From Berman

'Fake hustle' could not have a more perfect usage than the Knicks coaching search.

Isola, for all his douchebaggery, is completely right. This 'coaching search' is a sham and a disgrace.

Phil must think we're morons. Dude has take his 11 rings and stick them up his azz. Go back to LA.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Re: Tom Thibodeau 'finalizing' 5-year deal as Wolves coach, president Search for the Next Coach of The New Knicks Contin 

Post#1928 » by Scalabrine » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:17 am

Floozenheimen wrote:
Mr_Perfect wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Image

WE HAVE OUR FRIGGEN DRAFT PICKS.
Even if Phil signs nobody, and wheels out Rambis for another season, WE ARE BETTER OFF THAN BEFORE HE GOT HERE. I wish you could go back to the IT years, and just re-live that for a moment. In those days, EVERY POSITION was a problem. We had a FAT no-defense center. We had Avi Lee, we had Tiny Tim Thomas. We had .... piles and piles of useless trash. Nothing resembling a franchise talent, nothing resembling a competitive team. Right now, we can reasonably say adding Rondo and a coach makes us good. Melo-KP-Rolo. We are MUCH better than we were last year. No JR. No headcases. Only "bad contract" is Jose Calderon who expires in time for us to sign Westbrook.
With IT, almost EVERY PLAYER was a bad contract. Curry, Jerome James, Jared Jeffries, Malik Rose, Maurice Taylor, at the time people were complaining about Zach Randolph.... QBrick. I mean, the list goes on.

What a revelation.

Comparing anyone to one of the worst GM's in sports history will make them look good.

That is such baloney. Any run of the mill GM can't work for the Knicks, simply because Dolan will meddle. Force us to trade our youth and picks for old crap with bloated salaries. You assume that the GM of the Celtics or a guy like SVG could come here and do as they please with Dolan sitting on his hands.

With Phil, Dolan has enough respect for the guy to let him build the team in his vision. So far, I'm okay with the process. PROCESS, a word Phil used to describe what he planned on doing here when he was hired. He was not in a rush to return us to the treadmill nor was he about sacrificing our future to gain a few more wins in the short term. Things, I myself as a fan, am absolutely 100% behind. Add to the fact that he wants to emulate the Spurs, something else he said, and I'm sold. He wants a team first group of guys that are fundamentally sound without egos or other problems.

I say we give the guy his time to do what he plans, and then when the dust settles we can evaluate him. To do so now is unfair and typical of an ignorant, demanding and impatient NY sports fan. I will reserve my judgement until 2018. Crazy right? I'm being patient. Unheard of.

Absolutely nailed it!

Bravo.

He tore the team down and got us a great prospect, and we went from 1 NBA quality rotation player (Melo) to 3 bonafide starting frontcourt players and some solid role players that can play within the system, and we went from 17-30 wins. Another offseason to add more NBA rotation quality players and we will again improve, imagine if we had our pick this year (not at all Phils fault, but the definition of a "shortsighted Knick move" that has defined us).... We would have sat Melo and Rolo earlier, we would have been looking for more guys that fit the system, and we would be looking at another top 5 pick and probably the most desirable destination for coaches and players alike to join. Cap Space, 2 or 3 (hopefully Grant is a hit) star potential prospects on rookie deals, an All NBA caliber forward and 9 time all star, a defensive anchor on an affordable contract, and 12 time champion Phil Jackson calling the shots... boom.

It's a process, not having a pick hurts, but we are still in a MUCH better place than when Phil got here, and I don't think there is anyone else I would rather running this team other than Pop and Buford.
Go Knicks!
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#1929 » by Triple C » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:32 am

From Berman

Blatt HC and Rambis offensive cordinator, create some hybrid triangle-princeton offense. Better Blatt with Rambis than Rambis alone
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#1930 » by xNewYorkMadex » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:11 am

Still think this supposed interest in Blatt is just Mills trying to get his guy interviewed. Dont believe Blatt is a serious candidate at all. I wouldnt mind Blatt, but I want him to coach his own way. Got his team 2 wins away from a title last year. Won a number of titles overseas. Let him do his thing.

But Phil's heart is with the system. His heart is with Rambis, Shaw or Walton running the triangle he wants. Blatt in my opinion, is 4th in that race.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#1931 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:19 am

So funny. Fanbase is on one timeline, Melo on another, and Phil is on another planet. :lol:
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#1932 » by Thorn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:40 am

I am very disapointed we did not even make an effort at Thibs, Rambis did not show any signs that he was better than Fisher really and we needed a tough minded coach with a defensive philosophy and solid offensive mind for the game.

Thibs is all of that, and here we are with Rambis?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#1933 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 pm

From Berman

I've been saying this. Blatt is the type of coach who will make the adjustments and make concessions in order to get things to work. I think he's got a decent shot, especially if he lets Rambis stick around (not that I want Rambis still around, but if that's what it takes to keep him from staying as HC...Assistant Coach will do, though I prefer assistant GM to let Blatt field his own crew).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#1934 » by King of Canada » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Triple C wrote:
From Berman

Blatt HC and Rambis offensive cordinator, create some hybrid triangle-princeton offense. Better Blatt with Rambis than Rambis alone

I don't care what we run as long as it doesn't involve walking through the sets instead of running.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#1935 » by N8isScofield » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Blatt is probably our best and only hope right now so for those reasons alone I hope he's hired. I also like a redemption story so him coaching us to a series win over Cleveland would be kind of awesome.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#1936 » by god shammgod » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:14 pm

i read a lot of stuff about blatt yesterday. what stood out to me the most was supposedly he never criticized lebron in practice and he sort of handed him the right to feel entitled. he lost respect among his players for this and of course lebron took advantage. you have to hope he learned from that or that it's a complete fabrication.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,306

Post#1937 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:16 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Still think this supposed interest in Blatt is just Mills trying to get his guy interviewed. Dont believe Blatt is a serious candidate at all. I wouldnt mind Blatt, but I want him to coach his own way. Got his team 2 wins away from a title last year. Won a number of titles overseas. Let him do his thing.

But Phil's heart is with the system. His heart is with Rambis, Shaw or Walton running the triangle he wants. Blatt in my opinion, is 4th in that race.

What's the point of hiring Blatt, where one of the things that makes him good is his variation on the Princeton offense, and then force him to run the strict triangle? I mean, I realize that in certain sets/situations the Princeton and triangle aren't miles apart, but then again, in other ways they are pretty different. I'm no coaching or NBA plays expert - this is based on watching breakdowns of the two offenses.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#1938 » by god shammgod » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:18 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
xNewYorkMadex wrote:Still think this supposed interest in Blatt is just Mills trying to get his guy interviewed. Dont believe Blatt is a serious candidate at all. I wouldnt mind Blatt, but I want him to coach his own way. Got his team 2 wins away from a title last year. Won a number of titles overseas. Let him do his thing.

What's the point of hiring Blatt, where one of the things that makes him good is his variation on the Princeton offense, and then force him to run the strict triangle? I mean, I realize that in certain sets/situations the Princeton and triangle aren't miles apart, but then again, in other ways they are pretty different. I'm no coaching or NBA plays expert - this is based on watching breakdowns of the two offenses.

there's no point to hiring any coach and then imposing an offense on him. but these are the cards we've been dealt and they're all jokers.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,306

Post#1939 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:33 pm

This whole thing is so Knicks. We got the 'big name" to right the ship, and honestly, it's a big name that I personally think has enough BBall knowledge and right temperament to do a good job, but yet manage to miss out on the guy we really need, a guy who had a history with the org as well, a well known defensive coach. And, yes he was looking for organization control, but so what. So, again, it's a case, sort of, of the bigger name and the Knicks maybe passing the on the lesser name but the better option. I know, it's rough to say Thibs with org control will be better than Jackson, who knows. Jury is out on jackson, believe it or not, and while we know what Thibs brings as a coach, who knows how he'll be as a president.

As someone else posted, it would be so Knicks to have Thibs and Layden have success while jackson's think just doesn't work out.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#1940 » by xNewYorkMadex » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:37 pm

If the report is true about Blatt willing to run the triangle, then I dont want him. Not because of the system, but because Blatt continues to be a complete pushover.

As Sham said a couple posts above, he never called out or criticize LeBron during practice or any film room meetings. Thats the best way to alienate a locker room and lose respect of your players. He obviously didnt get fired from Cleveland because of his coaching record, he got fired for being kind of a pu***. Never stuck up for himself.

A successful head coach goes beyond x's and o's. Melo may not be a prick like LeBron or has the same talent level, but Melo is still a star in this league. He also makes numerous amount of mistakes on the floor, you cant be afraid to call Melo out on his bs just because hes the star player on the team. Same goes with KP. KP is a future star, but we need a coach to tell him when he is making a mistake. KP is very coachable and we need someone to get the best out of him.

Blatt needs to show he has a backbone and isnt afraid to call out a star player on the team. Im all for him if he shows that and wants to be the head coach HIS way. But him even agreeing to run the triangle tells me he'll just do whatever he can to get a job, reeks of desperation.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015

Return to New York Knicks