ImageImageImageImageImage

NY Daily News: Possible Knicks free agent targets this summer

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Re: NY Daily News: Possible Knicks free agent targets this summer 

Post#401 » by HEZI » Thu May 5, 2016 1:08 am

Ris_44 wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:Really? This guy plays a huge part in what the Hawks do, the way he impacts a game go deeper than the stat sheet. The way he covers ground is elite. His combination of strength, speed and explosiveness is world class you could say. I don't see how he is not one of the top wings in the league. He is a 2-way player. That is hard to come by. It doesn't matter if he never makes the All Star game, you still can't deny that he is one of the best wings in the entire league. Kent Bazemore could play starters minutes on a title contender, and it is hard to imagine putting him in a system where he would not fit in.

I'm not knocking McDaniels, but could you honestly say he could play that key role and bring that veteran experience and playoff experience and toughness that you get with Bazemore? I would imagine that he holds great value to winning ball clubs.

He's a really good role player I'll agree to that. But you have to be drinking the free agent buzz coolaid to say he's one of the best wings in the nba...I mean JR smith is better than him.

Also how is he a veteran? This is the first year he even gets minutes for any team...

:-?
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Ris_44
Sixth Man
And1: 57

Post#402 » by Ris_44 » Thu May 5, 2016 2:31 am

signing Bazemore to that big of a contract will be the equivalent of when Scott Laiden signed Shandon Anderson to a 30 plus mill contract in the early 2000s... And JR even with his dumb moments is heads and shoulders better than him. Smily face or not.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#403 » by HEZI » Thu May 5, 2016 3:30 pm

Ris_44 wrote:signing Bazemore to that big of a contract will be the equivalent of when Scott Laiden signed Shandon Anderson to a 30 plus mill contract in the early 2000s... And JR even with his dumb moments is heads and shoulders better than him. Smily face or not.

How do you even make that comparison?
DENVER NUGGETS
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#404 » by malik959 » Thu May 5, 2016 4:32 pm

SMAC-K wrote:
Ris_44 wrote:signing Bazemore to that big of a contract will be the equivalent of when Scott Laiden signed Shandon Anderson to a 30 plus mill contract in the early 2000s... And JR even with his dumb moments is heads and shoulders better than him. Smily face or not.

I totally agree with this. Every time I think of Bazemore signing with us I think of Anderson. It wasn't that he was a bad player or anything, he just wasn't worth the contract he received and it hurt us for years. I see the same thing happening if we sign Bazemore. He's an OK player, nothing special outside of being very active.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#405 » by HEZI » Thu May 5, 2016 4:36 pm

malik959 wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

I totally agree with this. Every time I think of Bazemore signing with us I think of Anderson. It wasn't that he was a bad player or anything, he just wasn't worth the contract he received and it hurt us for years. I see the same thing happening if we sign Bazemore. He's an OK player, nothing special outside of being very active.

If I was talking about overpaying to get Lance Thomas, then I could see the Shandon Anderson comparison, but Bazemore is a different type of role player. Much more skilled and talented and gifted than Shandon Anderson.
DENVER NUGGETS
NiceLikeChrist
Senior
And1: 440

Post#406 » by NiceLikeChrist » Thu May 5, 2016 8:21 pm

People really think evan turner is a good player? Has to be a joke
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#407 » by Fury » Thu May 5, 2016 8:26 pm

malik959 wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

Yeah, they're really not that far apart.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,734

Post#408 » by Spree2Houston » Thu May 5, 2016 8:28 pm

One thing Phil has been consistent with is not overpaying for Free Agents. I don't expect to see Bazemore here.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#409 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu May 5, 2016 8:44 pm

NiceLikeChrist wrote:People really think evan turner is a good player? Has to be a joke

Turner is good like DWill is good. I wouldn't say he is a star but he gives solid production which will never be enough because of where he was drafted.

Once you get past that and realize that the only team to really feel the effect of that was his rookie contact team, then maybe you can appreciate them for what they are good role players. Now the question is, what do people wanna pay him. In this new cap landscape he's probably worth 10. Or last year's seven. That's not at all crazy.

Why, what was being suggested?
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#410 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Fri May 6, 2016 2:53 am

I think one guy people aren't expecting is D.J. Augustin. I think he is a guy we will look at extensively.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#411 » by blanko » Fri May 6, 2016 2:55 am

Beggars can't be choosers, we need solid two way players like robin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#412 » by malik959 » Fri May 6, 2016 3:07 am

SMAC-K wrote:
malik959 wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

If I was talking about overpaying to get Lance Thomas, then I could see the Shandon Anderson comparison, but Bazemore is a different type of role player. Much more skilled and talented and gifted than Shandon Anderson.

Anderson Before signing with the Knicks:
8.7ppg, 44.6%, .27 3p, 73% FT, 2.3 Ast, 1 St
Bazemore:
11.6ppg, 44.1%, .35 3pt, 81% Ft, 2.3 AST, 1.3 ST

Yeah they were pretty close
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#413 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Fri May 6, 2016 3:10 am

malik959 wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
malik959 wrote:I totally agree with this. Every time I think of Bazemore signing with us I think of Anderson. It wasn't that he was a bad player or anything, he just wasn't worth the contract he received and it hurt us for years. I see the same thing happening if we sign Bazemore. He's an OK player, nothing special outside of being very active.

Bazemore:

Yeah but Bazemore is much better defensively to me. Anderson was a good defender, but Bazemore is taller, longer, and quicker then Anderson to me. His offensive gsame has been improving as well. Can we really compare contract numbers though when the cap has risen so much?
HEZI
RealGM

Post#414 » by HEZI » Fri May 6, 2016 2:33 pm

malik959 wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:
malik959 wrote:I totally agree with this. Every time I think of Bazemore signing with us I think of Anderson. It wasn't that he was a bad player or anything, he just wasn't worth the contract he received and it hurt us for years. I see the same thing happening if we sign Bazemore. He's an OK player, nothing special outside of being very active.

Bazemore:

Sorry man, but all I'm seeing is a bad comparison
DENVER NUGGETS
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,020

Post#415 » by moocow007 » Fri May 6, 2016 2:36 pm

malik959 wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

Bazemore:

Shandon Anderson just was not a very skilled player. He was a hardworking role player that was willing to do whatever it takes but he really didn't do anything good other than try really hard at everything. That's not really Bazemore IMO. Bazemore is a skilled and athletic player that IMO doens't have the same role player mentality that Anderson had. I'm with Smack, Anderson is more comparable to Lance Thomas. Bazemore may be more Gerald Wilkins type/level player if we want to compare to former Knicks.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,306

Post#416 » by DrCoach » Fri May 6, 2016 3:03 pm

The Pacers declined the option on Solomon Hill

He is younger and bigger than Bazemore, his PER has gone up each season in the League.

His was a 12PER this season and in the playoffs

Bazemores PER was 13 this season

He could be a nice much cheaper option, he is also tough which I like. Only a 33% 3pter compared to Bazemores 36% but again , he has gotten better every year.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,450

Post#417 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri May 6, 2016 3:10 pm

DrCoach wrote:The Pacers declined the option on Solomon Hill

He is younger and bigger than Bazemore, his PER has gone up each season in the League.

He could be a nice much cheaper option, he is also tough which I like. Only a 33% 3pter compared to Bazemores 36% but again , he has gotten better every year.

That is the guy we need to go after. Would love to bing in Vogel and Solomon
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Shadylove
Junior
And1: 73

Post#418 » by Shadylove » Fri May 6, 2016 3:10 pm

sportscrazy wrote:If we feed into the "getting good before great" model where we take the best triangle offense fits we can get by overpaying in order to become enticing enough to attract a big time talent in 2017 then using 2 or 3 of our second rounders to dump Jose Calderon to a team that could actually use him would leave us enough cap space to keep every one else we have under contract (including Tony Wroten), keep the cap holds for Langston Galloway and Lance Thomas then overpay for Kent Bazemore and Evan Turner.

C-Robin Lopez/Kyle O'Quinn
PF-Kristaps Porzingis
SF-Carmelo Anthony/Lance Thomas
SG-Kent Bazemore/Tony Wroten
PG-Evan Turner/Jerian Grant/Langston Galloway

We could probably re-sign Cleanthony Early and Lou Amundson to be third string small forward and third string power forward respectively then use our cap MLE for the best back-up power forward we could get.

1. If we get a competent coach and make the playoffs
2. If Chris Paul does not win a chip next year
3. I am 100% sure he would join Kp and Melo and win the East and take their chances with GS or Spurs

My 2 cents
Shadylove
Junior
And1: 73

Post#419 » by Shadylove » Fri May 6, 2016 3:11 pm

StephNYKurry wrote:There's some word out there to explain the feeling I get when sensible discussion brings the Melo hate out.

Maybe Euphoria

HOL'UP I KNOW THE FEELING!!!!!

Melos its still your team bro relax :lol:
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,306

Post#420 » by DrCoach » Fri May 6, 2016 3:15 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
DrCoach wrote:The Pacers declined the option on Solomon Hill

That is the guy we need to go after. Would love to bing in Vogel and Solomon

I would compare it to a Kyle O Quinn type of signing

Young Vet, Tough, Gritty, could be had for a reasonable salary ,still has some upside. I watched him in the playoffs, he was tough, even played SG

Return to New York Knicks