ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agency Power Rankings: Forwards

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Re: Free Agency Power Rankings: Forwards 

Post#41 » by NoLayupRule » Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 pm

just to clarify I think this thread is for SFs, swings and stretch PFs

there really aren't any bigs on this list
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,333

Post#42 » by Scalabrine » Mon May 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Lance is a min salary type player, his cost wont affect the cap space. he'll be available at the end, and if he isn't...oh well.

I honestly want D-Will to return, that's really the only forward I have interest in at the moment.

So Lance Thomas is a minimum player but Derrick Williams is worth 4+ million?

If you watched the Knicks this season it's hard to argue that DWill was better than Lance. I'd like them both back for consistency as many have also mentioned but Lance will certainly be getting more than the minimum. If we got him for the minimum it would be one of the best contracts in the league. I made a thread mid-season prior to his knee injury and most people agreed he would make between 7-10 mil or slightly above the MLE. His injury might have lowered that number slightly but I don't think by much.
Go Knicks!
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#43 » by Thugger HBC » Mon May 16, 2016 10:50 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Lance is a min salary type player, his cost wont affect the cap space. he'll be available at the end, and if he isn't...oh well.

I honestly want D-Will to return, that's really the only forward I have interest in at the moment.

If you watched the Knicks this season it's hard to argue that DWill was better than Lance. I'd like them both back for consistency as many have also mentioned but Lance will certainly be getting more than the minimum. If we got him for the minimum it would be one of the best contracts in the league. I made a thread mid-season prior to his knee injury and most people agreed he would make between 7-10 mil or slightly above the MLE. His injury might have lowered that number slightly but I don't think by much.

I see no scenario where any team pays Lance 7-10 mil per season. Just because a player is a min salary guy doesn't mean he is a bum. Lance is strictly intangibles, those usually comes very cheap. People pay more for scorers, always have.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#44 » by Scalabrine » Mon May 16, 2016 10:51 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:I've done this the past few off-seasons and it's brought about some good conversation about who we want to acquire and which guys are available.

these threads you do are always on point and one of the highlights of the offseason

Thanks alot, I really appreciate it, especially from you!

NoLayupRule wrote:just to clarify I think this thread is for SFs, swings and stretch PFs

there really aren't any bigs on this list

Speaking of on point...

I'll reword the thread title to limit confusion, but yes, once again, this list is for the tweeners. As the NBA has progressed the positions are being redefined and these lists are trying to reflect that. I have done point guards and tweeners (3's and 4), and I will still do Swingmen (2s and 3's) and Big Men (5's and big 4's that can play 5 next to KP).

The next one will come out in a few days when this one starts to slow down.
Go Knicks!
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,916

Post#45 » by god shammgod » Mon May 16, 2016 10:53 pm

can't the knicks use that mini-mle again ? that should really be enough for lance. after that it gets real questionable to bring him back.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#46 » by Scalabrine » Mon May 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

I see no scenario where any team pays Lance 7-10 mil per season. Just because a player is a min salary guy doesn't mean he is a bum. Lance is strictly intangibles, those usually comes very cheap. People pay more for scorers, always have.

I'm just saying that was what people were talking about as his range when before the injury.

His numbers aren't particularly impressive but he can guard all 5 positions (definitely 2-4), hit 40% from beyond the arc, 86% from the line, he plays under control and rarely makes mistakes or takes bad shots. I think with this salary bump we are gonna see the minimum guys as guys that are trying to get an opportunity in the NBA, guys that are rotation quality players will be getting more than that. Do you think someone like Brandon Rush, or Ersan Ilyasova will be getting min. contracts?
Go Knicks!
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Thugger HBC » Mon May 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

I'm just saying that was what people were talking about as his range when before the injury.

His numbers aren't particularly impressive but he can guard all 5 positions (definitely 2-4), hit 40% from beyond the arc, 86% from the line, he plays under control and rarely makes mistakes or takes bad shots. I think with this salary bump we are gonna see the minimum guys as guys that are trying to get an opportunity in the NBA, guys that are rotation quality players will be getting more than that. Do you think someone like Brandon Rush, or Ersan Ilyasova will be getting min. contracts?

I'm aware of Lance, we watch the same team my man. But his impact is of the Jared Jeffries variety. I honestly don't even look at his three point shooting because that really isn't his game, although it is something he has added.

I still doubt he sees that kind of coin, and for us that wouldn't be a solid investment at 7-10 per.

I would think with the cap spike the min salaries go up as well, so he'll get a raise regardless.

Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#48 » by Scalabrine » Mon May 16, 2016 11:20 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I see no scenario where any team pays Lance 7-10 mil per season. Just because a player is a min salary guy doesn't mean he is a bum. Lance is strictly intangibles, those usually comes very cheap. People pay more for scorers, always have.

I'm aware of Lance, we watch the same team my man. But his impact is of the Jared Jeffries variety. I honestly don't even look at his three point shooting because that really isn't his game, although it is something he has added.

I still doubt he sees that kind of coin, and for us that wouldn't be a solid investment at 7-10 per.

I would think with the cap spike the min salaries go up as well, so he'll get a raise regardless.

He made more than the minimum this past year and certainly outplayed that. I agree that 7-10 isn't where his value is anymore, after his knee injury, but would you be upset if we spent 4-5 million on him? I think he was our 5th most impactful player overall this past year, and we were a much better team when he was on the floor for the most part.
Go Knicks!
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Thugger HBC » Mon May 16, 2016 11:25 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

He made more than the minimum this past year and certainly outplayed that. I agree that 7-10 isn't where his value is anymore, after his knee injury, but would you be upset if we spent 4-5 million on him? I think he was our 5th most impactful player overall this past year, and we were a much better team when he was on the floor for the most part.

If we pay Lance 4 mil and miss out on a quality 2 starting two guard due to that 4 mil which Lance cannot play that position full time...yeah I would be irked by that.

Going forward Lance should be at best 7-8 on the roster impact. His impact had a lot to do with who played in front of him.

Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#50 » by Scalabrine » Mon May 16, 2016 11:37 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I'm aware of Lance, we watch the same team my man. But his impact is of the Jared Jeffries variety. I honestly don't even look at his three point shooting because that really isn't his game, although it is something he has added.

If we pay Lance 4 mil and miss out on a quality 2 starting two guard due to that 4 mil which Lance cannot play that position full time...yeah I would be irked by that.

Going forward Lance should be at best 7-8 on the roster impact. His impact had a lot to do with who played in front of him.

Agreed. I think for the most part, unless Durant (or LeBron) want to sign with us our 3/4 should be signed after guys like Derozan, Batum, Bazemore are signed.

If you look at the better teams in the league, the guys that are 7-8 in terms of roster impact are mostly making between 3-5 million, let's just use 3 mil to stay low. 3 million out of a 68 million dollar cap is 4.5% of the cap. 4.5% of a 92 million dollar cap is 4.2 million, again this is on the low end, AND the cap is gonna rise again the next year. Getting Lance Thomas at a 4 million dollar deal is a fair contract. Again, I agree that we should hold off until some of our other holes are patched up but he would be doing us a huge favor by taking a minimum deal.
Go Knicks!
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#51 » by Dantares » Tue May 17, 2016 12:29 am

why pay Lance Thomas and Derrick Williams 12 million combined when Luol Deng already does everything that they can do. Scrappy defense, guard the 3 and 4, moving without the ball, hit spot up jumpers. Plus he doesn't have their weaknesses like Lance Thomas weak rebounding and Derrick Williams poor defense. rather just pay deng the whole 12 million per year
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#52 » by DrCoach » Tue May 17, 2016 1:50 am

We need a stud SG

Or a STUD PG and move Wroten to SG

But Big PG's are valued in the triangle

We need to rebuild on the fly, no more old teams. We aren't winning a Chip anytime soon.
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#53 » by DrCoach » Tue May 17, 2016 1:55 am

Dwight Powell I the Big I want.

24 yrs old

6'11 240lbs

17 PER in 69 games last year

Shouldn't cost ridiculous money
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#54 » by dakomish23 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:13 am

god shammgod wrote:can't the knicks use that mini-mle again ? that should really be enough for lance. after that it gets real questionable to bring him back.

Pretty sure that's only if you're over the cap. Full MLE if you're under the tax and mini MLE if you're in the tax. We have the room exception which Duncan said on his latest podcast would be around 2.9. But you can only use that after you spend up to the cap, or it comes out of your cap space. Which is not worth it if we don't get a big fish, unless we get there via trade(s) to gain some assets for future deals.

After an absolute failure of a signing in KS, let's pray we're smart about this and use it on a young perimeter guy with some upside. Solomon Hill & Seth Curry. That's my picks.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#55 » by DrCoach » Tue May 17, 2016 2:23 am

dakomish23 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:can't the knicks use that mini-mle again ? that should really be enough for lance. after that it gets real questionable to bring him back.

Pretty sure that's only if you're over the cap. Full MLE if you're under the tax and mini MLE if you're in the tax. We have the room exception which Duncan said on his latest podcast would be around 2.9. But you can only use that after you spend up to the cap, or it comes out of your cap space. Which is not worth it if we don't get a big fish, unless we get there via trade(s) to gain some assets for future deals.

After an absolute failure of a signing in KS, let's pray we're smart about this and use it on a young perimeter guy with some upside. Solomon Hill & Seth Curry. That's my picks.

I'd love Hill and Curry, we need another Big SG that can defend
stopstandthere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#56 » by stopstandthere » Tue May 17, 2016 6:35 am

moocow007 wrote:
stopstandthere wrote:Moe Harkless, sometimes ago he was the next PG13.

The problem with Harkless has been he has a type D personality.

What is type D personality? Thanks for explaining in advance.
stopstandthere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#57 » by stopstandthere » Tue May 17, 2016 6:36 am

Has anyone interested to trade for OK4?
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#58 » by Scalabrine » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:39 pm

any of these guys interest you any more now?

It seems like we are gonna go after a 2 and 5 but if the price is right I think some of these guys on the list make a ton of sense and we could slide KP to the 5 for more minutes.

I like all of them but Barnes (for the money), Parsons and Green.
Go Knicks!

Return to New York Knicks